Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
had to do a fuycking Twitter to get the answer to my important questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I posted this in the eShop thread but noone reads that thread, so: Shovel Knight KS codes went out an hour or so ago and you can redeem 'em now if you have one, but it won't be available publicly until the usual time.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Is Assassin's Creed 4 worth $20 while it's on sale? I've only briefly played the other games in the series.

Not sure how it is on the Wii U, but I loved it on the PS4 and would definitely recommend it. Like others have said, the pirate/sailing parts are fun.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I recall someone posting this a while back:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6553PW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know it is for the pro... but would it work with the Wii U gamepad? And of course I don't mean "will it show video" and poo poo. But will it work for using it as a controller? I'm going to eventually get pro controllers when they go on some sort of nice sale again... but I'd like to gently caress around with my Wii U gamepad on the PC some until then here and there at least.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

It runs pretty decently on the Wii U. There are some places where there can be some slowdown, but it's only in super action-heavy places. It's a very good game that you should be able to wring $20 worth of enjoyment out of.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MaxDuo posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6553PW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know it is for the pro... but would it work with the Wii U gamepad? And of course I don't mean "will it show video" and poo poo. But will it work for using it as a controller? I'm going to eventually get pro controllers when they go on some sort of nice sale again... but I'd like to gently caress around with my Wii U gamepad on the PC some until then here and there at least.

No, that only works with Pro controllers. I haven't seen anything public that lets you use the tablet pad with PC.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There is stuff that lets you use a tablet pad with the PC, but it isn't like publically available yet. A team of hackers are working on it, basically.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
If anyone lives near a Kmart you should check for Wii U Pro controllers, they are discounted to $30(even if they don't update the actual tags the price shows up as that when scanned). It took me 2 stores before I found one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Kmart is still around? Last time I was in one it was like walking through a ... I don't know what it was but I couldn't believe it was a retail location.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Kmart is still around? Last time I was in one it was like walking through a ... I don't know what it was but I couldn't believe it was a retail location.
It's a shambling corpse and lots of stores have closed but it's worth checking out if you want to stock up on pro controllers for cheap or if you enjoy people watching.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Troubleshooting question: I bought 2 Pro controllers from Play Asia, one works fine but the other won't turn on at all. I let it charge overnight and even swapped the batteries between the working and non working controllers, so it's not a power issue. The blue lights won't come on at all, won't sync to the console, etc. Anyone else ever experience anything similar?

Play Asia will take it back, but they want me to pay for the return shipping, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There is a closed one down the street from me. Oh well.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

jivjov posted:

Troubleshooting question: I bought 2 Pro controllers from Play Asia, one works fine but the other won't turn on at all. I let it charge overnight and even swapped the batteries between the working and non working controllers, so it's not a power issue. The blue lights won't come on at all, won't sync to the console, etc. Anyone else ever experience anything similar?

Play Asia will take it back, but they want me to pay for the return shipping, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.
When the defective one is plugged in does the orange battery light come on? It'd be a good idea to check to make sure the battery is fully connected and not loose(remove the back panel with a phillips size 0 screwdriver).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

deafmute posted:

When the defective one is plugged in does the orange battery light come on? It'd be a good idea to check to make sure the battery is fully connected and not loose(remove the back panel with a phillips size 0 screwdriver).

Yup, orange charging light comes on, and I've unplugged and reseated the battery a few times.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
In the midst of the forums crash, I got my Wii U and started playing NSMBU. I freaking love it. It's just difficult enough to get you flustered, but coming back for more.

I am extremely surprised in the quality and enjoyment I'm getting out of it, and I've only played the one game. Also, with the games I bought and my leftover club nintendo code for my 3DS, I have platinum for this year and enough stuff to register to be halfway to Gold on July 1st.

Also, Wii Sports Play downloaded without me doing anything. Is it a demo? I can't tell because I have no Wii remotes, so it won't let me play.

Also, Nintendo looks fantastic in HD.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MaxDuo posted:

No

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fremry posted:

In the midst of the forums crash, I got my Wii U and started playing NSMBU. I freaking love it. It's just difficult enough to get you flustered, but coming back for more.

I am extremely surprised in the quality and enjoyment I'm getting out of it, and I've only played the one game. Also, with the games I bought and my leftover club nintendo code for my 3DS, I have platinum for this year and enough stuff to register to be halfway to Gold on July 1st.

Also, Wii Sports Play downloaded without me doing anything. Is it a demo? I can't tell because I have no Wii remotes, so it won't let me play.

Also, Nintendo looks fantastic in HD.

Yeah, it's a demo that lets you try the game for a 24 hour period. Make sure you try 3D World after you finish NSMBU.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah, it's a demo that lets you try the game for a 24 hour period. Make sure you try 3D World after you finish NSMBU.

Already covered. I bought MK8, 3D world and DK tropical freeze in Target's buy 2 get 1 free and used the download code in MK8 for NSMBU.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
So, this is old news it took me two weeks to notice but I hadn't seen it mentioned in here, so maybe at least one other goon's in my boat. Also it's pretty rad.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/e3-2014-im-unreasonably-excited-about-mario-maker

Jeremy Parish posted:

Update: I spoke with producer Takashi Tezuka about Mario Maker today. Speficially, I asked if the two art styles available in the show floor demo — the original Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. U — would be the extent of the looks available for level design. Will we see Super Mario Bros. 3? Super Mario World? 1

"Obviously, there will be other graphical styles included," Tezuka said. "And nothing's been decided yet, but I'd also like to include other graphics that aren't Mario." Would that mean that if Legend of Zelda graphics were included, the game would let you design top-down stages, I asked?

"No, it won't be top-down," he said. "It's always going to be a 2D platformer." However, players can expect more level design elements than those included on the show floor. Tezuka said he plans to integrate more enemy and object types than what appeared in the E3 demo, though he doesn't want the palette of options to become overwhelming. 1

Tezuka also emphasized the inspiration Mario Maker draws from Mario Paint and says that he hopes to include features similar to those of that Super NES classic, including a music composition feature. As for Internet sharing and Miiverse integration, Tezuka admits those details are still being worked out as well, but that he's mindful of players' desire to show off their level designs to friends.

"Sharing with friends is really the whole point of making levels," he said.

We'll have more of Tezuka's thoughts next week in our extended hands-on Mario Maker preview and interview.

EDIT: They did not, in fact, have more of Tezuka's thoughts next week in their extended hands-on Mario Maker preview and interview, as it doesn't seem to exist.

Violen fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 26, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Played Monster Hunter for the first time with a wired connection and oh dear god is it so much of an improvement.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1d-PUVfNCw

Gamexplain uploaded a slideshow for Hyrule warriors featuring Zant, Agitha, Lana and Midna

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

So when does the eShop usually update then? I'm in Australia and it's like 6.30PM. Where's me game mate.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Here's a Wind Waker HD club nintendo code (the one that gives you coins, not an eShop code for a game) for anyone who has yet to reach Gold/Platinum and are scrambling to do so:

TNU-ZVHV-ZMW3-GYZ

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Just finished up Pikmin 3. What a game. Those boss battles just got ridiculous after a bit. I'm definitely going to you back eventually to get the rest of the fruit. Real solid game

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
I got so hyped for Shovel Knight then realised hours before release that it's not got an EU release date yet. I really hope it comes soon I want to play it on my Wii U really badly.

Whilst the forums were down I released a review for ZombiU, which is uh... certainly timely. It's like a pretty long talky thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yuQ7XHmQCk.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

George Lazenby posted:

So when does the eShop usually update then? I'm in Australia and it's like 6.30PM. Where's me game mate.

If you're talking about Shovel Knight, it's only out in NA today, the PAL release date is still TBA.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If you're talking about Shovel Knight, it's only out in NA today, the PAL release date is still TBA.

Ah god drat it! That sucks. It looks so good.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So how many coins is 300? Is it worth it to try and make Platinum? I just hit gold now, what does that mean? Will I have to hit gold again come July?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

So how many coins is 300? Is it worth it to try and make Platinum? I just hit gold now, what does that mean? Will I have to hit gold again come July?

Full retail games are 60 points, 40 for DS, and 70 if it is like a special mega Nintendo game they're promoting the hell out of(50 on 3ds). Then the post play survey is an additional ten points. Virtual console games and eShop games range from 0 to 20 points depending on cost, but the post play is always 10 points. Sometimes there is a bonus ten point survey ahead of time for expressing intent to buy a game.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

Full retail games are 60 points, 40 for DS, and 70 if it is like a special mega Nintendo game they're promoting the hell out of(50 on 3ds). Then the post play survey is an additional ten points. Virtual console games and eShop games range from 0 to 20 points depending on cost, but the post play is always 10 points. Sometimes there is a bonus ten point survey ahead of time for expressing intent to buy a game.

How long on average does it taken for them to send the post play? I just registered a bunch and haven't seen them yet.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fremry posted:

How long on average does it taken for them to send the post play? I just registered a bunch and haven't seen them yet.

Give em about a week.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah after you register they wait a few days, presumably for you to play the game.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Sounds good. It's no issue because I have Platinum for this year, and it will actually be better to save for next year.

Anyone know when the prizes for this year are announced?

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Silver Falcon posted:

Pick up Rayman Legends and Lego City Undercover as well. Those were two of my favorite games for the system thus far. (Still working through SM3DW myself and haven't tried W101 yet so that might change.)

Rayman Legends was just everything I wanted out of a platformer. It's seriously excellent. Lego City was surprisingly good too! Both of those are a must if you're a platformer fan.

I know this was directed at someone else this time around (again, I think? Since I'm pretty sure I quoted you a previous time you were directing someone to get these games), but I definitely picked up SM3DW, Rayman Legends, and Lego City on the Target deal... The punk kid helping me get the games out of the case acted condescending and said, 'Oh? People still play Lego games? I haven't played those since I was a kid...' and it vaguely amused me. Like I was going to rethink my selection or think he was more cool for trying to make me feel bad about my purchase?? Less commentary, more buy 2 get 1 deal, kid! I am excited for Lego City! :dance:

deafmute posted:

If anyone lives near a Kmart you should check for Wii U Pro controllers, they are discounted to $30(even if they don't update the actual tags the price shows up as that when scanned). It took me 2 stores before I found one.

...and now I have to hunt down a Kmart. I'm very new to the system, but I'm assuming they don't get much cheaper than $30?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Niemat posted:

I know this was directed at someone else this time around (again, I think? Since I'm pretty sure I quoted you a previous time you were directing someone to get these games), but I definitely picked up SM3DW, Rayman Legends, and Lego City on the Target deal... The punk kid helping me get the games out of the case acted condescending and said, 'Oh? People still play Lego games? I haven't played those since I was a kid...' and it vaguely amused me. Like I was going to rethink my selection or think he was more cool for trying to make me feel bad about my purchase?? Less commentary, more buy 2 get 1 deal, kid! I am excited for Lego City! :dance:

...and now I have to hunt down a Kmart. I'm very new to the system, but I'm assuming they don't get much cheaper than $30?

Hey, it's cool. :D I hope you like them after I hyped them so much.

I'm heading to a Kmart myself in just a bit. There's one down the road from here. The Wii U Pro controllers normally go for $50, so I think that's a pretty screamin' deal! Nintendo doesn't sell refurbed ones, either- last I checked, anyway.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Is there any kind of connectivity between the 3DS and the Wii U? I haven't found any yet aside from the Miis but it seems like there could be a lot of potential there. They're both awesome systems.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Can coins only be used on the couple things that Nintendo is offering at a time?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Any of the 4 VC games, and any of the physical things at the bottom.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1d-PUVfNCw

Gamexplain uploaded a slideshow for Hyrule warriors featuring Zant, Agitha, Lana and Midna

This game is really growing on me. When it was announced I thought it was a great idea but nothing special and now I find myself thinking about it every time I play the Wii U. It's going to feel really good on the gamepad/pro controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

Any of the 4 VC games, and any of the physical things at the bottom.

That's annoying. I was hoping they would do something where you could turn them into a discount on any VC software.

• Locked thread