Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Is "Y" the same thing that us normal people call "coach" or "economy?" Why's it called Y?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I had heard it was because in the days of handwritten tickets "E" for economy was too close to "F" for first so they took the last letter in economy "Y".

I anxiously await someone to correct me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

Is "Y" the same thing that us normal people call "coach" or "economy?" Why's it called Y?

I've worked for an airline for 16 years and I have no idea. Same reason "business class" is called J?

-edit-
"Y"ou'll be lucky
Hand"J"ob under the quilt
"F"ellatio

(metaphorically how the airline treats you)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 22, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought all US carriers had free beer/wine in Y on transoceanic flights.

In business/first class yeah.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

hobbesmaster posted:

It takes a lot of free booze for a transatlantic overnight on an A332 tolerable.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^
Nothing fundamentally wrong with an A330 the interior can be as terrible or good as the carrier is willing to invest. Last time I was on an A330 though it was a practically empty NRT-MSP flight and I had a row of economy comfort to myself.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

In business/first class yeah.

Y is whatever the carrier calls economy. And you definitely get beer/wine/sake on NRT routes on Delta.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 22, 2014

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

^^^^
Nothing fundamentally wrong with an A330 the interior can be as terrible or good as the carrier is willing to invest. Last time I was on an A330 though it was a practically empty NRT-MSP flight and I had a row of economy comfort to myself.

Y is whatever the carrier calls economy. And you definitely get beer/wine/sake on NRT routes on Delta.

I had no idea MSP had directs to Asia and Europe.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Jealous Cow posted:

Last year I flew CDG (Paris)-MSP on an Air France A340 - unfortunately handling an A340's-worth of passengers at once really bogged down their customs and security re-screening facilities. Though, I actually made the connection, which was more than I could say this year.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Jealous Cow posted:

Legacy of it being the primary Northwest Airlines hub.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

monkeytennis posted:

The people on AF447 might disagree, if they could.

Wasn't AF447 a pitot issue and not actually an AF fault? I was under the impression that the carriers had suggested the issue to Airbus but Airbus didn't do anything about it? Or do I have it backwards.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Last year I flew CDG (Paris)-MSP on an Air France A340 - unfortunately handling an A340's-worth of passengers at once really bogged down their customs and security re-screening facilities. Though, I actually made the connection, which was more than I could say this year.

CDG customs are notoriously slow.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Barnsy posted:

Wasn't AF447 a pitot issue and not actually an AF fault? I was under the impression that the carriers had suggested the issue to Airbus but Airbus didn't do anything about it? Or do I have it backwards.

Poorly thought out safety systems and pilot error.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Barnsy posted:

CDG customs are notoriously slow.

Actually I was talking about Minneapolis-St. Paul's customs and security. Not that I can find all that much to disagree with in what you said though.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Barnsy posted:

Like most major accidents there is a lot of contributing factors that cause the accident.

The pitot tubes getting iced up and no longer giving a correct reading caused the flight computer to go into a mode where they will now allow the pilots to crash the plane if they feel like it.

The pilots respond to how they normally would on an Airbus, and pull back on the stick and give it full throttle. Which just puts them in a stall that they keep making deeper. So they crashed a perfectly flyable plane, since they didn't think it would let them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bondematt posted:

Like most major accidents there is a lot of contributing factors that cause the accident.

The pitot tubes getting iced up and no longer giving a correct reading caused the flight computer to go into a mode where they will now allow the pilots to crash the plane if they feel like it.

The pilots respond to how they normally would on an Airbus, and pull back on the stick and give it full throttle. Which just puts them in a stall that they keep making deeper. So they crashed a perfectly flyable plane, since they didn't think it would let them.

All of this, with the addition that the Air France training program apparently didn't touch on identifying and operating under alternate law.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Well then, Air France is completely poo poo. I can't think of a reason to fly on them. You'd think at least the food would be decent, but that's not the case. They're not cheap either.

It always hurts admitting your national carrier is poo poo.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

SCOTLAND posted:

The MU-2 was a great airplane to fly, although it sucked trimming and refueling it.

Also coming up on 2 months since I finished my 787 sims and I still haven't flown yet :gbsmith:

Gives you plenty of time to look at weather maps to avoid ice crystal icing!

My dad had an MU-2. He flew it with a guy who used to fly it for Mitsubishi as a test pilot. He eventually stopped flying because he was getting afraid of the airplane. Heres a great idea, lets use spoilerons. Dump some lift at low speed to turn, won't kill ya at all!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

hobbesmaster posted:

Not the last time I had the misfortune to fly a US carrier across the atlantic (which was 2006). gently caress that, BA from there on out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Barnsy posted:

Well then, Air France is completely poo poo. I can't think of a reason to fly on them. You'd think at least the food would be decent, but that's not the case. They're not cheap either.

I hear good things about Lufthansa.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

I hear good things about Lufthansa.

Lufthansa was cramped as hell, but the flight attendants were rather hot and there was beer aplenty.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Barnsy posted:

:911::hf::france:

Welcome, friend.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I would really like to recommend a book: Viper Pilot by Dan Hampton. All about an f-16 pilots experiences in the gulf war and in Iraq in the 2000s

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Jealous Cow posted:

Poorly thought out safety systems and pilot error.

This is the problem with the airbus design philosophy. The pilot is there to manage the systems, monitor the autopilot, and take over in case something breaks. The problem is that they've designed the pilot out of most of the systems so that when something DOES go wrong the pilots tend to get very confused very quickly by the information the airplane is giving them.

While AF447 is probably the most well known example of Airbus Informational Cluster Fucks, QF32 is down right terrifying. It took a very experienced crew about an hour to figure out how much poo poo was wrong with their airplane, and even then they still didn't realize that their #1 engine was running right next to a fairly substantial fuel leak.

Oh and then there's QF72 which just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

The amount of godawful early AMS-MSP-AMS flights i've taken... I think I even took one of the last NW DC-10 flights ever on that route.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

I would really like to recommend a book: Viper Pilot by Dan Hampton. All about an f-16 pilots experiences in the gulf war and in Iraq in the 2000s

I just read this a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it too.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

KodiakRS posted:

This is the problem with the airbus design philosophy. The pilot is there to manage the systems, monitor the autopilot, and take over in case something breaks. The problem is that they've designed the pilot out of most of the systems so that when something DOES go wrong the pilots tend to get very confused very quickly by the information the airplane is giving them.

This is the difference between Airbus and Boeing - look at the FBW in the 777 for example. If you jam the 777's yoke to the left, it will roll to the maximum bank angle within design specifications, then increase the control forces to let you know you're exceeding the flight envelope. Keep pushing, and it will happily keep rolling until you go inverted. The philosophy is that the pilot is in control, not the computers.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

A Melted Tarp posted:

This is the difference between Airbus and Boeing - look at the FBW in the 777 for example. If you jam the 777's yoke to the left, it will roll to the maximum bank angle within design specifications, then increase the control forces to let you know you're exceeding the flight envelope. Keep pushing, and it will happily keep rolling until you go inverted. The philosophy is that the pilot is in control, not the computers.

Yeah, but what if the pilots don't realize they're in control and hit a sea wall at the end of a runway?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

Yeah, but what if the pilots don't realize they're in control and hit a sea wall at the end of a runway?

Better than not realizing they're in control and stalling it into the ocean.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

two_beer_bishes posted:

I just read this a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed it too.

I liked the part when Charlotte ATC tried to get him to shoot down SF choppers after 9/11.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bondematt posted:

I think AF447 was also a case of poor design not making it obvious to the pilots what was really going on, and providing misleading information.

When the pitot probe iced over, it triggered a lengthy series of caution and warning messages that the crew had to work through, but the message that indicated the core problem (loss of airspeed/altitude data) was buried somewhere near the bottom of the list, which meant the crew would have a hard time figuring out exactly what had caused all the other failures.

Compounding the problem was the fact that during the stall event, the flight director kept intermittently appearing, and when it did appear, it was commanding a nose-up attitude, which the crew likely tried to follow.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Flikken posted:

I liked the part when Charlotte ATC tried to get him to shoot down SF choppers after 9/11.

I got a kick out of that. I don't the the 7110 has anything on issuing clearances for launching missiles!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Flikken posted:

They should have asked an F-15 pilot instead.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Dead Reckoning posted:

So I Googled F15 fratricide and :stare:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Animation of the Asiana 777 crash released by the NTSB. Pretty damning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MFPSfGoT1U

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dead Reckoning posted:

:golfclap:

And that, gentlemen, is how we do that.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I saw the blue angels practice today, didn't get any pics because wayyy too busy having a rock hard erection in a crowd of thousands. I have had a pretty drat good vacation this week.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KodiakRS posted:

While AF447 is probably the most well known example of Airbus Informational Cluster Fucks, QF32 is down right terrifying. It took a very experienced crew about an hour to figure out how much poo poo was wrong with their airplane, and even then they still didn't realize that their #1 engine was running right next to a fairly substantial fuel leak.

Oh and then there's QF72 which just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

I don't really know anything about Airbus system design, but would something like QF32 happening on a Boeing product not take as long to diagnose fault, and if so, why?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't really know anything about Airbus system design, but would something like QF32 happening on a Boeing product not take as long to diagnose fault, and if so, why?

One of the issues with QF32 is that the A380 has multiple redundant (digital) control systems for safety. Airbus cunningly ran all of the control systems through the same point in space to reduce weight, which just happened to also be occupied by debris from an exploding turbine.

The other problem was the way that FADEC failed on, but that isn't Airbus's fault. It isn't even a fault really, FADEC is designed to fail at the last throttle setting received, which in this case was full. Even if they'd known/cared about the fuel leak, the engine controls were severed so there was nothing that could be done on that part.

I think from the pilot perspective, it wasn't an Airbus design problem at all (if you excuse running primary and backup controls next to each other - which is probably a reasonable thing to do in a non-combat aircraft).

QF32 was just REALLY loving lucky that they had 2 full crew on board, along with a check captain and a check-check captain, and they needed all of them to figure out how to land the plane. The problem they had was how to configure a damaged, unresponsive, massively overweight aircraft (it was full of fuel) for landing. They had like 3000m available and needed a few hours to figure out how they could land it in 2900m or something (I don't recall the exact numbers, but it was a 100m or so margin of error)

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 26, 2014

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
On a far far smaller note - anyone know any recent information on what's happening with CityJet and VLM? They've started repainted VLM's Fokker 50s in a pretty neat VLM livery rather than the new CityJet livery they're putting on the RJs, so I was wondering whether anyone had seem anything about them splitting up.

(Both the CityJet and VLM new liveries look pretty neat to me - not supposed to use my phone airside so I didn't grab any photos.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

If I can add to book chat, I'm about half way through Outlaws Inc. and it's a pretty fun read. I highly recommend it.