Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

User0015 posted:

I thought Accel World was worse. I don't know why, because I recognize they have the exact same plot and protagonist.

Accel World is also pretty terrible but unless I'm confusing it with someone else, I really don't remember the protagonist being a Gary Stu, let alone reaching SAO levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I haven't watched Accel World but SAO burned me so hard that I'm willing to bet it is relatively better.

Also, from what I've heard about Accel World it doesn't have incest-y stuff going on so I think that is a huge point in its favor, because that is just how a lot of light novels roll these days.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

User0015 posted:

I don't know why, because I recognize they have the exact same plot and protagonist.

Not really. The protagonist in Accel World is, unlike Kirito, a big (well, short) fat loser who's only good at video games with obvious self-esteem issues. As for the plot, the premise is that the main characters vie for territory and power in the virtual world plus high school hijinks.

However, the antagonist in the last arc was such an insufferable douchebag and for some inane reason the protagonists couldn't directly confront him or something like that. I couldn't bring myself to finish the series yet and that's despite knowing he gets his comeuppance in the most cathartic way possible.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 13, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
SAO is a simple power fantasy. It doesn't pretend to be anything else and is fairly inoffensive for what it is. Even the awful incest/tentacle bullshit was supposedly much more prominent in the anime. It isn't to my taste, but if you are gonna watch some garbage you could do worse. Of course, it is still a piss-poor recommendation for someone who wants more log horizon.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Serious Frolicking posted:

It doesn't pretend to be anything else and is fairly inoffensive for what it is.

A bad guy in SAO locking an underage girl in a golden birdcage and molesting her so the hero can literally fight him over her purity seems like a pretty low bar for "fairly inoffensive", even for terrible LN adaptations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Redcrimson posted:

A bad guy in SAO locking an underage girl in a golden birdcage and molesting her so the hero can literally fight him over her purity seems like a pretty low bar for "fairly inoffensive", even for terrible LN adaptations.

Yeah, I'll defend the first arc of SAO, but even a super cathartic ending wasn't enough to even come close to redeeming that Elf arc. Even if they had removed the creepy stuff it wouldn't have been enough to save it, it was just boring and poorly put together and dragged on like crazy.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I think SAO has some quite good parts. Season 1 defiantly averages out to watchable. Compared to other shows like SAO season 2 or Accel World it even seems good.

The main good thing about SAO is that (except for Kirito) almost all characters are interesting. Most season 1 characters would fit in well in Log Horizon.

In Accel World I don't remember any characters. SAO part 2 replaced all those interesting characters with a stereotypical little sister and a character that is mainly remembered for having Dio Brando's voiceactor.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah but Kirito and friends are basically in Log Horizon already, the West Wind Brigade pretty much fills that niche.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed watching SAO the first time. Even the second season wasn't unbearable.

It's a show that gets really worse on retrospect. And you probably shouldn't ever rewatch it because of that.

Accel World has serious problems, but I did actually enjoy it for a bit, if only because of a side-character being just like I wanted him to.

But ugh, there were so many times I just wanted to punch people in the face. Especially the loving antagonist at the end.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Don't watch SAO season 2. Just skip directly from the end of season one to the last episode of season 2.

The three plot holes that result form doing this can be fill as so.

The dude in the parking lot is a random crazy mugger.

Don't read this one till after episode 14.
Asuna took 6 months longer to wake up then Kirito because her brain got a little bit microwaved while Kirito was stabbing heathcliff.

An insane fandom decided that making a new SAO(without the death) was a great idea. They changed all the character models to elfs because Japan.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 16, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hagop posted:

Don't watch SAO season 2. Just skip directly from the end of season one to the last episode of season 2.

The three plot holes that result form doing this can be fill as so.

Don't read this one till the end of season 1.
Asuna took 6 months longer to wake up then Kirito because her brain got a little bit microwaved while Kirito was stabbing heathcliff.

An insane fandom decided that making a new SAO(without the death) was a great idea. They changed all the character models to elfs because Japan.

I think you mean the second arc of the first season. Season 2 hasn't happened yet.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hagop posted:

hahahahaha I love it

ViggyNash posted:

I think you mean the second arc of the first season. Season 2 hasn't happened yet.

Eh, some people refer to cours as seasons. Either way.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I've only seen a quarter of the LH anime work so far and I'm grateful that it doesn't make my brain feel like it's rotting as much as those parts where SAO was trying to be serious.

The beginning of the Accel World anime I thought was at least okay because it managed to be a little goofy at times.

good god nyanta is a pimp

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I've only seen a quarter of the LH anime work so far and I'm grateful that it doesn't make my brain feel like it's rotting as much as those parts where SAO was trying to be serious.

The beginning of the Accel World anime I thought was at least okay because it managed to be a little goofy at times.

good god nyanta is a pimp

LH is one of those shows that gets significantly better as it goes on so you have a lot to look forward to, feel free to post reactions and stuff! :)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Finished Episode 11 and it feels like it was the first episode where Shiroe didn't smirk and adjust his glasses at the same time :magical:

In general, wow, a lot of really nice ideas starting to float around where I'm coming from. The purchase of the Guild Hall was of course telegraphed and easy to see coming because of sandbox mentality, but then putting that together with what's basically breaking into the Fourth Wall and having to deal with moving into a living, breathing fantasy community of nations is something else.

I'm quite curious to know how people who are new to MMORPGs are reacting to the side-plot with the younger characters and getting to learn about the genre's overall paradigms. Is it enjoyable? Are the newbie characters somewhat easy to associate with, and is there any catharsis going on when they accomplish something?

All in all I'm hooked and a little relieved that I'm watching this after its airing because man those cliffhangers.

So dreamy :swoon:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Finished Episode 11 and it feels like it was the first episode where Shiroe didn't smirk and adjust his glasses at the same time :magical:

In general, wow, a lot of really nice ideas starting to float around where I'm coming from. The purchase of the Guild Hall was of course telegraphed and easy to see coming because of sandbox mentality, but then putting that together with what's basically breaking into the Fourth Wall and having to deal with moving into a living, breathing fantasy community of nations is something else.

I'm quite curious to know how people who are new to MMORPGs are reacting to the side-plot with the younger characters and getting to learn about the genre's overall paradigms. Is it enjoyable? Are the newbie characters somewhat easy to associate with, and is there any catharsis going on when they accomplish something?

All in all I'm hooked and a little relieved that I'm watching this after its airing because man those cliffhangers.

So dreamy :swoon:

I've never really played much MMORPGs -- well, that is to say, I dabbled with Guild Wars for a while but never got very into it, like not with the strategic and PVP sort of elements that are part and parcel of MMO gaming. So for me it was pretty fun to watch the newbie players get the hang of working as a team and growing better at things. For me, the most satisfying character arcs were those of Minori and Princess Lenessia. It's really fun seeing them come into their own. :3:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

I've never really played much MMORPGs -- well, that is to say, I dabbled with Guild Wars for a while but never got very into it, like not with the strategic and PVP sort of elements that are part and parcel of MMO gaming. So for me it was pretty fun to watch the newbie players get the hang of working as a team and growing better at things. For me, the most satisfying character arcs were those of Minori and Princess Lenessia. It's really fun seeing them come into their own. :3:

Lenessia is great. I just wrote a haiku about how much I love her

Hime Hime,
Hime! Suki Suki
Daisuki

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

XboxPants posted:

Lenessia is great. I just wrote a haiku about how much I love her

Hime Hime,
Hime! Suki Suki
Daisuki

Lazy Girl,
Sees Shiny Glasses,
So very scared.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Someone recommended it way back in this thread, but I'm just now getting around to reading Moonlight Sculptor. I really like it. The game is so incredibly implausible that it seems more like a fantasy world with game mechanics, so it is more like LH than you might think.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

The difference is that Moonlight Sculptor is really clearly someone's odd fantasy about being really good at MMOs and also being loved by everyone, whereas Log Horizon is, I guess, competently written. Moonlight Sculptor is also staggeringly sexist, which is... kind of off-putting. I read several volumes in while the forums were down but couldn't keep going, it's just not good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Adelheid posted:

The difference is that Moonlight Sculptor is really clearly someone's odd fantasy about being really good at MMOs and also being loved by everyone, whereas Log Horizon is, I guess, competently written. Moonlight Sculptor is also staggeringly sexist, which is... kind of off-putting. I read several volumes in while the forums were down but couldn't keep going, it's just not good.

Oh, LH is certainly better written than MS. I don't think anyone would ever dispute that. But people (not counting his family) only like Weed because they find him impressive or are deluded into thinking he isn't a giant jerk. It is kind of sexist, but in the game the groan-worthy 'most beautiful woman ever' could kick his rear end into next week any time she cared to. She won't because she thinks he is her best friend, but still. In other words, the actual game mechanics are gender neutral.

As for the frankly silly way that Weed keeps falling into grand, world-changing quests which require an army, I chalk that up to the fact that the game is managed by a sentient AI. The quest flags were probably created specifically for him after a certain point. The first one provided him with an army, and later quests seemed to be balanced around his ability to create permanent pets. I mean heck, he got a major quest chain shoved in his face while he was off in an unrelated corner of the world grinding crafting skills.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I also read the first couple of volumes of Moonlight Sculptor while the forums are down and I liked it enough, overall. It's not terribly well written and the translations don't do it any favours, but it does scratch the right itch for me. I have no idea how it's going to hold up over the huge number of volumes though. I just don't see it having that kind of longevity. It also has the same sexism/mary sue flaws that SAO has but so far it's more enjoyable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess I only have problems with gary stus if everyone either loves them or is jealous because of how awesome they are. Weed is a jerk who is frequently acknowledged as such, though that alternates rapidly with mindless adoration.

However, in MS there are a couple of things that really bugs me. They never reconcile the idea that Weed was constantly working himself to the bone for his family with how he evidently had time to do 200 hour marathon sessions of a MMO. That poo poo is the exclusive domain of the unemployed. Also, the vr game is presented as being incredibly addictive and many people neglect their real life responsibilities to play a game on a $5000 system with a $300 monthly fee, but this is never, ever presented as being a bad thing.

MS is very poorly written and even translated even worse, so I'm not entirely sure why I'm so into it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I guess I only have problems with gary stus if everyone either loves them or is jealous because of how awesome they are. Weed is a jerk who is frequently acknowledged as such, though that alternates rapidly with mindless adoration.

However, in MS there are a couple of things that really bugs me. They never reconcile the idea that Weed was constantly working himself to the bone for his family with how he evidently had time to do 200 hour marathon sessions of a MMO. That poo poo is the exclusive domain of the unemployed. Also, the vr game is presented as being incredibly addictive and many people neglect their real life responsibilities to play a game on a $5000 system with a $300 monthly fee, but this is never, ever presented as being a bad thing.

MS is very poorly written and even translated even worse, so I'm not entirely sure why I'm so into it.

There's definitely some extremely contrived and eye-rolly things in the initial setup that gets brought back up again on occasion. It definitely skews closer to SAO than Log Horizon but manages to feel like Weed isn't the only big fish.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Desuwa posted:

I also read the first couple of volumes of Moonlight Sculptor while the forums are down and I liked it enough, overall. It's not terribly well written and the translations don't do it any favours, but it does scratch the right itch for me. I have no idea how it's going to hold up over the huge number of volumes though. I just don't see it having that kind of longevity. It also has the same sexism/mary sue flaws that SAO has but so far it's more enjoyable.

SAO's sexism is pretty bad but it never felt so endemic to the world, I guess? I'm sure a lot of it is owing to the awful translation phrasing but, at least through the third volume, there was way too much stuff listed with "causes x effect on females" which is. Really dumb. I almost wish it was as bad as SAO, because SAO is so consistently trash that it made it really fun for me to read in a "I can't believe this awful series, what is going to happen next" sort of, way whereas moonlight sculptor is really uneven and just comes off as uninteresting to me.

That said, I can definitely see why some people would enjoy it. It does scratch a particular itch, and I do like parts of it. It's just, y'know, parts of it are just really dumb. Like everything to do with the swordsmanship school weed went to, for instance.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
All of those female-specific effects are limited to npc's, though the ai is so ridiculous they might as well be real people. Something I found hilarious was how npc's react to Seoyoon. THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN THE WORLD is a class with no charisma stat whatsoever and yet npc's still act as though she is beautiful. Npc reactions are otherwise entirely based on stats and reputation, but I guess that doesn't apply to THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN THE WORLD.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really like MS so far. It reminds me more of the Gamer than anything else since it goes into the minutia of stats and skills so often.

Blue Rupie
Mar 25, 2013

All of those female-specific effects are limited to npc's, though the ai is so ridiculous they might as well be real people. Something I found hilarious was how npc's react to Seoyoon. THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN THE WORLD is a class with no charisma stat whatsoever and yet npc's still act as though she is beautiful. Npc reactions are otherwise entirely based on stats and reputation, but I guess that doesn't apply to THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN THE WORLD.

I bet that would of been a plot point where THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN THE WORLD turns out to be an old hag/morph ball.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
So I just watched this show and something about the compete negligence of literally every single character about the real world and the lives they came from has been squandering all of the potential drama they might have. Did not a single person playing have kids? The sum total of Shiro's real life after 24 episodes is his mention that he's a uni student and used CAD.

SAO, at least, did that kind of right, though the entire second arc was legit horrible. It was understandable why the main characters weren't as worried about it, being kids, and it was shown repeatedly that people were still living in the newbie town after several months because they didn't want to risk death like the uberguild types going for floor 100.

It also doesn't help they keep portraying these fight scenes in LH as OMG SO STRESSFUL when in actuality the only thing that's at risk for anyone is that they might forget their cat's name...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Coldbird posted:

So I just watched this show and something about the compete negligence of literally every single character about the real world and the lives they came from has been squandering all of the potential drama they might have. Did not a single person playing have kids? The sum total of Shiro's real life after 24 episodes is his mention that he's a uni student and used CAD.

SAO, at least, did that kind of right, though the entire second arc was legit horrible. It was understandable why the main characters weren't as worried about it, being kids, and it was shown repeatedly that people were still living in the newbie town after several months because they didn't want to risk death like the uberguild types going for floor 100.

It also doesn't help they keep portraying these fight scenes in LH as OMG SO STRESSFUL when in actuality the only thing that's at risk for anyone is that they might forget their cat's name...

Exactly what would freaking out about something that no one knows how to change do?

I don't really see how you can criticize the show for not delving deeply into the existential agony of being stuck in another world while blowing off the idea that losing random memories might be stressful too. I mean sure you might just forget unimportant things but you could just as easily end up watching your important memories slowly disappear.

The drama in LH is about learning how to live in a new world with it's own set of rules and trying to build new lives there.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Besides, with the Japanese birth/marriage rate as it is, it's not likely that any of these mid-twenties internet nerds would have children to worry about. It is a little distressing to see how the kids that got transported aren't at all worried about being separated from their parents, though.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Another thing that I think was brought up earlier in the thread is that the only people in this world are the ones who were logged in exactly when the expansion pack went up. Just for shits and giggles I looked up on Wikipedia and it says this was apparently the 12th one for the game.

Now tell me how many people who wouldn't prefer living in the world their game takes place in rather than the real world and would be waiting around for essentially the midnight release of the 12th expansion pack for an MMORPG? How many of them would have actually cared about life going on around them whether they ended up in this world or just remained in the real world anyway?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Besides, with the Japanese birth/marriage rate as it is, it's not likely that any of these mid-twenties internet nerds would have children to worry about. It is a little distressing to see how the kids that got transported aren't at all worried about being separated from their parents, though.

They probaly stopped thinking of their parents when they spent several weeks in slavery. I think for most part they won't want anything to remond them of that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Annointed posted:

They probaly stopped thinking of their parents when they spent several weeks in slavery. I think for most part they won't want anything to remond them of that.

Uh...? Why would their parents remind them of being in slavery? If anything it'd be the complete opposite of that, kids being forced into slavery would start begging for their mothers and wishing they could go home where it's safe and there's someone to take care of them.

I feel really sorry for you grew up in a situation comparable to living as a child slave laborer.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't think there's really much you can infer either way about them because Log Horizon makes a point of focusing on the setting on a macro scale.

I felt like that aspect was simultaneously one of its strengths and weaknesses.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Annointed posted:

You...you didn't have good parents, huh?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I imagine that after a few days, a few weeks at most, with no evidence at all for a way out of the new world, people just settled into trying to make the best of their new life and stopped dwelling on the "real" world. Our primary protagonists are probably more jaded than most people so they likely settled in a lot faster than the majority of players.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Exactly what would freaking out about something that no one knows how to change do?

I don't really see how you can criticize the show for not delving deeply into the existential agony of being stuck in another world while blowing off the idea that losing random memories might be stressful too. I mean sure you might just forget unimportant things but you could just as easily end up watching your important memories slowly disappear.

The drama in LH is about learning how to live in a new world with it's own set of rules and trying to build new lives there.

It just seems bizarre that there's virtually no discussion or even attempts to get back other than "oh the logout button doesn't work! oh well!" Even if they're all deciding to stay there instead of living in the real world, you'd think a momentous decision like that would merit some screen time. Instead it's just somehow supposed to be taken as read.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Coldbird posted:

It just seems bizarre that there's virtually no discussion or even attempts to get back other than "oh the logout button doesn't work! oh well!" Even if they're all deciding to stay there instead of living in the real world, you'd think a momentous decision like that would merit some screen time. Instead it's just somehow supposed to be taken as read.

Exactly how are they supposed to get back? They don't know where they are. They don't know how they got there. There are a lot of immediate concerns they need to deal with first, and over time returning to Earth undoubtedly loses its urgency. It isn't Shiroe's first priority, but some people do remain dedicated to finding a way home.

As for kids not wanting to go back, that's simple enough in the case of Tohya and Minori. Tohya was an invalid who was a huge burden for his twin sister, with whom he is very close. He is now an immortal superhuman with a great big world to explore, and his sister is free to live her own life for the first time. Plus, they now have a surrogate family in the form of their guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The whole show is a lost clone and tohya is john locke.

• Locked thread