Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
What's the best solution to pause OTA TV right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A DVR? Is this a trick question?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Dr Tran posted:

What's the best solution to pause OTA TV right now?

Most expensive but most pain-free: Tivo Roamio IMO.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Check to see if Aereo is available in your area (for however long it lasts).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone in North America imported a Roku from the UK and used some VPN service to use iPlayer natively?

I'm having an allright time with the NowhereTV feed of BBC news, but honestly I'm ok with dropping another hundo to import a UK roku just to use the native app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got a Fire TV and it is way faster than my Roku 2. The UI is better too, a lot less wasted screen space when browsing. My only complaint is in browsing content from Amazon there is no way to separate the free stuff from the not-free stuff. If you want to browse around for something to watch for free then you basically have to do it on a computer because the Fire TV mostly shows you stuff for rent or purchase.

edit: After a bit more clicking around, the difficulty in finding the Prime content that I pay $99/year to stream is seriously annoying. I'm giving it a few more days but ATM I am leaning towards returning it.

withak fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 11, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

withak posted:

I got a Fire TV and it is way faster than my Roku 2. The UI is better too, a lot less wasted screen space when browsing. My only complaint is in browsing content from Amazon there is no way to separate the free stuff from the not-free stuff. If you want to browse around for something to watch for free then you basically have to do it on a computer because the Fire TV mostly shows you stuff for rent or purchase.

edit: After a bit more clicking around, the difficulty in finding the Prime content that I pay $99/year to stream is seriously annoying. I'm giving it a few more days but ATM I am leaning towards returning it.

I just picked one up, and I'm leaning towards a return as well. The Netflix app is old and janky, Plex has an annoying audio issue, and the rest of the app content just isn't there. Outside of Plex, I think I'm honestly better served by the Xbox 360. :(

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there any way to do continuous play from the Plex android app or the netflix android app to Chromecast?

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000

withak posted:

That's my biggest criticism of Amazon Prime video in general. It's loving impossible to see which shows I can get for free and which ones I have to pay for without going into each show, each season, and checking. They really need to separate things.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Daddyo posted:

That's my biggest criticism of Amazon Prime video in general. It's loving impossible to see which shows I can get for free and which ones I have to pay for without going into each show, each season, and checking. They really need to separate things.

If it helps, the interface in Roku 3 makes it very clear and simple. Try before you buy to be sure it works for you, but I think you'll find it works pretty well.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Is there any way to do continuous play from the Plex android app or the netflix android app to Chromecast?

Netflix just updated their Android app for continuous play and they're working on it for Chromecast.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Gravy, I'm glad that will be possible. Hopefully Plex follows suite.

My favorite thing right now is to shuffle my Plex library from my computer, but I wish the app had that as well.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
It seems no one is mentioning this, so I will:

The biggest advantage of the FireTV over basically any other closed-in streaming box is that you can sideload XBMC. Once you do that, the sky is the limit.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

withak posted:

That's a coming soon feature.

quote:

Features Coming Soon

Coming this Spring, we’ll be releasing a free, over-the-air software update for all Fire TV devices. The update will include the following features:

- Prime browse: Browse several categories of Prime content, including, but not limited to: Top Prime TV, Top Prime Movies, Prime TV for Kids, Prime Movies for Kids, Prime TV by Genre, Prime Movies by Genre
- Amazon FreeTime: Create custom profiles for up to four kids, choosing the movies, TV shows, apps, and games they can access. Easily set up daily screen limits and restrict certain types of content.
- Amazon Music: Listen to music from your Amazon Music Library. See lyrics that display line by line while you listen to many of your favorite songs.
- Games & Fire TV app: In addition to the over one hundred games available on Fire TV, play thousands of touch enabled games with the new Fire TV app for your phone or tablet

I didn't even notice it until somebody else pointed it out to me. They really buried it on the Fire TV page.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 12, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I wish the prime streaming was a seperate app from the OS. So i could have one account for prime streaming and another for buying things.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Call Me Charlie posted:

That's a coming soon feature.

I didn't even notice it until somebody else pointed it out to me. They really buried it on the Fire TV page.

I saw that too, but it says "coming this spring" and I have a thing about buying stuff based on how it works now, not based on how it might hypothetically work in the future.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

withak posted:

I saw that too, but it says "coming this spring" and I have a thing about buying stuff based on how it works now, not based on how it might hypothetically work in the future.

So return it? I don't know what to tell you.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
99USD for a fully functional XBMC box is pretty tits, don't know what to tell ya.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm going to sit on it for 30 days then return if the Prime-only mode doesn't appear by then. ATM it isn't worth $99 more than the Roku I already have.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Any suggestions for getting World Cup soccer?

e: ESPN Channel on Roku seems to have everything! I didn't have to do any authentication and I don't have cable service, so I don't know maybe it's free??

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 12, 2014

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

stubblyhead posted:

Any suggestions for getting World Cup soccer?

e: ESPN Channel on Roku seems to have everything! I didn't have to do any authentication and I don't have cable service, so I don't know maybe it's free??

Who's your ISP? Many cable internet companies include ESPN3, the internet only streaming channel, with your internet package. And they probably used your connection to automatically authenticate. If you don't have cable TV with ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, U, etc. you won't be able to watch the streams from those channels. The opening game Brazil v. Croatio is available on ESPN 3 right now.

You can always borrow someone else's cable TV login credentials if you want the other channels. If you're trying to get around the automatic authentication, connect you streaming device to your phone WiFi tethering or a neighbors phone DSL connection.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

goku chewbacca posted:

Who's your ISP? Many cable internet companies include ESPN3, the internet only streaming channel, with your internet package. And they probably used your connection to automatically authenticate. If you don't have cable TV with ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, U, etc. you won't be able to watch the streams from those channels. The opening game Brazil v. Croatio is available on ESPN 3 right now.

You can always borrow someone else's cable TV login credentials if you want the other channels. If you're trying to get around the automatic authentication, connect you streaming device to your phone WiFi tethering or a neighbors phone DSL connection.

I have Comcast for my internet service, and that was the game I was watching. Now that I'm trying to look at something on the main station it indeed does want me to log in with something.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Maneki Neko posted:

I just picked one up, and I'm leaning towards a return as well. The Netflix app is old and janky, Plex has an annoying audio issue, and the rest of the app content just isn't there. Outside of Plex, I think I'm honestly better served by the Xbox 360. :(

Don't use the official Plex app - install XBMC ( http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV ) and use the PLEXBMC add-on (http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Add-on:PleXBMC). This runs your Plex server through XBMC which also sidesteps the FireTV's somewhat limited codec selection, so you likely won't need to transcode as much as you would have through the Plex app. All the playback issues I had with Plex on the FireTV went away after going that route.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rubby posted:

This runs your Plex server through XBMC which also sidesteps the FireTV's somewhat limited codec selection,

Does XBMC not have it's own codecs? I'm considering a FireTV to put XBMC on, but only if it has codec support on par with VLC

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Hadlock posted:

Does XBMC not have it's own codecs? I'm considering a FireTV to put XBMC on, but only if it has codec support on par with VLC

It does! XBMC supports codecs that the FireTV does not which is really handy for local media playback. The official Plex app for the FireTV is limited by the codecs the FireTV supports, so you may need to do a lot of transcoding on the fly depending on your media. Using PLEXBMC instead you're playing files via XBMC and using its bundled codec library instead so you can play a larger variety of files directly.

Basically "Install XBMC" was the answer to a lot of my FireTV playback questions. For local media it's super stable and for me works better than any other media-streamer-in-a-box at that price point I've tried.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Is the Chromecast generally well received?

I dumped my cable (and internet through them) earlier today after I discovered that my building offers a 100 mpbs connection for $55 monthly (cable bill recently shot up to over $200 per). I already have my xbox connected to my PC but being able to stream live sports via a Chromecast is pretty appealing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I love my chromecasts, I have two. I use Plex to stream local media which works really well, and then Netflix/HBOGo for everything else.

For the price it is great, and pretty Girlfriend/Parent friendly as well.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
I use my Chromecast all the time. I use it to stream Netflix, Hulu, Google Play Music and Movies, HBOGo, Pocketcasts, my Ultraviolet collection through Flixster/Vudu, Google+ photos, and recently, WatchESPN. I got Chromecasts for my parents and brother for Christmas, and my girlfriend likes it so much she bought one for herself. So now I can stream all that content when I visit those people only needing my phone or tablet, and it's small enough that I brought it with my easily on vacation last week. I love it.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Rubby posted:

It does! XBMC supports codecs that the FireTV does not which is really handy for local media playback. The official Plex app for the FireTV is limited by the codecs the FireTV supports, so you may need to do a lot of transcoding on the fly depending on your media. Using PLEXBMC instead you're playing files via XBMC and using its bundled codec library instead so you can play a larger variety of files directly.

Basically "Install XBMC" was the answer to a lot of my FireTV playback questions. For local media it's super stable and for me works better than any other media-streamer-in-a-box at that price point I've tried.
Very interesting. Looking at the pages you have linked to I am overwhelmed by the instructions. Are there easy/easier instructions on how to do these things?

TIA

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wooty posted:

I am overwhelmed by the XBMC instructions.
I do not have a firetv (yet) but let me attempt to translate:
:goonsay:

download and unzip ADB Utility for Windows to c:\

download XBMC stuff to c:\

enable dev mode from the firetv system settings menu

open a "dos prompt box" on your PC
go to c:\ dir

type:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb connect <ip-address-of-fire-tv>
adb install <apk-file-name>

run xbmc on firetv

If adb and the xbmc crap is in the same folder you can skip the whole environmental variable path crap so just dump it all in the C:\ folder

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 21, 2014

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Hadlock posted:

I do not have a firetv (yet) but let me attempt to translate:
:goonsay:

download and unzip ADB Utility for Windows to c:\

download XBMC stuff to c:\

enable dev mode from the firetv system settings menu

open a "dos prompt box" on your PC
go to c:\ dir

type:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb connect <ip-address-of-fire-tv>
adb install <apk-file-name>

run xbmc on firetv

If adb and the xbmc crap is in the same folder you can skip the whole environmental variable path crap so just dump it all in the C:\ folder

Amazing how helpful this was for me. It works and I have XBMC running on my Fire TV. I have a lot to learn about it but I hope to replace my WDTV live box.

I also have to thank you a great deal for the help.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

They recently released the official Youtube app for the Roku 2 line and I'm liking it. The main feature I was wanting was subtitles for foreign media and it's possible now. The text can be toggled to display different colors and sizes too. :waycool:

teagone posted:

Do your parents have smartphones? If so, tell them to install the Roku app which you can use to search via voice or keyboard.

It can also be done using the Youtube app on the smartphone with the Roku itself at this point.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 26, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
In addition to the other sweet updates for the Chromecast at Google IO today, NFL UK confirmed that GameCenter will support Chromecast this year.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

So is there any indication the NFL will accept my money this year, and sell me online access to watch football in the US?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm hoping. Last year, the Madden deal was great value, even if I had to use a work around service.

All I care about is red zone :smith:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

What's the real-deal cheapest option with Verizon FIOS to go with an internet-only plan?
I keep getting the runaround of 'bundle package plan deal discount for x months' and I'm genuinely confused by it all.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

iostream.h posted:

What's the real-deal cheapest option with Verizon FIOS to go with an internet-only plan?
I keep getting the runaround of 'bundle package plan deal discount for x months' and I'm genuinely confused by it all.

Threaten to switch to comcast. It will still end up being too much money though.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I've been talking about it for years and the wife and I finally ready to cut the cord, but I've got a few questions.

1. My wife works from home sometimes so we need a home phone as our cell signal kinda sucks. Since canceling our triple play comcast package to go to a Double play dramatically increases the phone price, what is the best option out there?

2. Roku, Apple TV, or chrome cast? I'm leaning towards the new Roku, but people seem to really love all 3.

3. Is there anywhere I can actually watch a show live?

4. If I have a friends comcast login, can I use chrome cast to stream the video from my computer to the tv? Are there better options here?

I spend $180 a month on a triple play, cutting cable to make it a double play will end up as $110 a month, but i want to cut the phone pricing more.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pillowpants posted:

An antenna.

Pillowpants posted:

I spend $180 a month on a triple play, cutting cable to make it a double play will end up as $110 a month, but i want to cut the phone pricing more.

I don't know what your whole situation is like, but I'm assuming its internet and landline in what's left? Honestly, I'd shop around and see if you can find something cheaper depending on your needs.

I used to pay about $50 for an AT&T DSL plus local only landline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Pillowpants posted:

I've been talking about it for years and the wife and I finally ready to cut the cord, but I've got a few questions.

1. My wife works from home sometimes so we need a home phone as our cell signal kinda sucks. Since canceling our triple play comcast package to go to a Double play dramatically increases the phone price, what is the best option out there?

2. Roku, Apple TV, or chrome cast? I'm leaning towards the new Roku, but people seem to really love all 3.

4. If I have a friends comcast login, can I use chrome cast to stream the video from my computer to the tv? Are there better options here?

I did what you did a year and a half or so ago, switched to Blast Plus, it got us a good amount of TV and 50mbps internet for $80-90, and then this month switched back to triple play, as they keep running promotions which made BlastPlus + phone more expensive than the triple play.

#1: I used Ooma for a year, it worked decently well, although there's an up front cost. Could also look at something like BasicTalk.

#3: Antenna is your best bet

#4: do you have an Xbox 360? The comcast Xbox app is actually very good, and lets you watch shows you don't get via your cable plan strangely (although not the premium channels).