Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NiffStipples
Jun 3, 2011
Been lurking through this thread a little bit. I'll be doing my first time smoke next Saturday on a beef brisket. I've got a decent smoker for the occasion lent from within my girlfriend's family. Once I grab a thermometer, I should be all set. I'm so excited.

Is there any newbie mistakes I should watch out for with smoking? I'm also looking to only spend 8 to 10 hours smoking this thing (10 to 15 pounds). That should be a good amount of time right?

NiffStipples fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

NiffStipples posted:

Is there any newbie mistakes I shouldp watch out for with smoking? I'm also looking to only spend 8 to 10 hours smoking this thing (10 to 15 pounds). That should be a good amount of time right?

I'm a bit of a newbie too but the biggest newbie mistake everyone makes is not giving yourself plenty of extra time for the meat to finish. I've had some stubborn pork butts take several hours longer than planned with a house full of hungry guests staring at me and that's not fun.

Edit:

whowhodillybar posted:

Hopefully I am not too late, but just treat it like any other large cut of meat in the smoker. Use a digital meat thermometer and just let it do its thing until you hit about 190. I will also always advocate a rest period followed by steaming to get it more tender.

Hickory will be fine. I have also used it to smoke pastrami in the past.

I've seen every finishing temperature between 165 and 205 recommended for pastrami, is temperature just unimportant? I gave it 6 hours on smoke before moving it to the oven and it's currently sitting around 178. I'm considering pulling it now, think it will make a big difference? I'll let it rest for a half hour or so and refrigerate overnight before slicing.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 23, 2014

NiffStipples
Jun 3, 2011

internet celebrity posted:

I'm a bit of a newbie too but the biggest newbie mistake everyone makes is not giving yourself plenty of extra time for the meat to finish. I've had some stubborn pork butts take several hours longer than planned with a house full of hungry guests staring at me and that's not fun.

Good idea. I don't want my arm gnawed on. I'll wake up a couple hours earlier to adjust for that extra time variable. Thanks!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Temp in a grill is always airflow related. Adjust that and you'll control heat and how long fuel lasts.

Brisket as a first smoke is aggressive. Good luck!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

NiffStipples posted:

Been lurking through this thread a little bit. I'll be doing my first time smoke next Saturday on a beef brisket. I've got a decent smoker for the occasion lent from within my girlfriend's family. Once I grab a thermometer, I should be all set. I'm so excited.

Is there any newbie mistakes I should watch out for with smoking? I'm also looking to only spend 8 to 10 hours smoking this thing (10 to 15 pounds). That should be a good amount of time right?

8-10 hours is probably not enough for a 10-15 lb brisket.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

BLARGHLE posted:

Trying to smoke up a pork shoulder, and I'm having some trouble stabilizing the temps. In the past I had a couple of those cheap vertical smokers, but I wanted something that I could do more regular grilling with, so now I have a cheap barrel grill and an a-maze-n pellet smoker to try to pull double duty.

Anyway! This new thing doesn't hold temps anywhere near as well as my old ones- it constantly wants to run hot. I'm also trying out the minion method, which is not something I ever did in the past. I had gotten the temps down to where I wanted them, but the charcoal had almost entirely burned away, so I tossed a little more on, and it shot back up to 360. I'm guessing I'm either putting too much charcoal on, or is it a matter of air flow? The lid doesn't seal well(poor fitment, and I also need to level the thing up better), so I don't know how much control I'm actually getting out of the vents.

Oh, also, the pellets keep going out. I get smoke for like 15 minutes, and then nothing. I used it yesterday to smoke some cheese, and it worked perfectly for about 4 hours(1 row), but today it's just not cooperating. I'm guessing the charcoal is smothering it or something...

This is how I have things set up

I took the amzn out to get the pellets going again, and it didn't want to go back out, so I figured "gently caress it" and stuck it back in there. The charcoal also flamed up when I opened the lid, so now it's jumped back up to 323f from 250f...380 now...calm down, grill!

It turned out alright in the end! I guess pork shoulder really is impossible to gently caress up.

Bark!

I really need to make more of this barbeque sauce, because it is loving delicious...also, I need to get some buns and cole slaw, and maybe make some hush puppies! :yum:

MEAT GOOD :btroll::mrapig::hampants:

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Woo, forums are up, here's some photos from my first cook.

Butts on, adding sausages for lunch.

Almost done...

Pulling the beef

I removed the butts at about 190F, 12 hours in the smoker. I would like to go longer next time but my coals were dying and it was getting late.

10 lbs of pulled pork deliciousness.

All in all, a solid first run at smoking, I think.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

How are you liking your thermoworks thermometer?
Love my Thermopen, tired of my Maverick and want to get something more accurate.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Bone_Enterprise posted:

How are you liking your thermoworks thermometer?
Love my Thermopen, tired of my Maverick and want to get something more accurate.

The only other probe thermometer I have experience with is a Poulder, but I can say that this ThermoWorks TW8060 is pretty fantastic. First, you can use the meter part with any K-type probe they make, including the 103-159, the same probe they put on the Thermapen. I got the Hi-Temp kit which comes with an armored cable on the meat probe and a ceramic fiber air temp probe. Both are very solid feeling. Some things I didn't realize about it before I got it are that you can only set an alarm on 1 channel, not both and it is much slower to update than a Thermapen (which I don't have), 1 second refresh.

It is expensive, but I feel confident that it is accurate, which is what I wanted.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
If you missed out on the $9.88 Kingsford 20 lb 2 packs at Home Depot on Memorial Day, they are having the same sale for the 4th of July.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kingsford-Original-Charcoal-Briquets-20-lb-2-Pack-4460030479/202255971

I would assume Lowe's has the same deal, if that's more convenient for you.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

coronaball posted:

If you missed out on the $9.88 Kingsford 20 lb 2 packs at Home Depot on Memorial Day, they are having the same sale for the 4th of July.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kingsford-Original-Charcoal-Briquets-20-lb-2-Pack-4460030479/202255971

I would assume Lowe's has the same deal, if that's more convenient for you.

I always wanted to find out the limits of my car's suspension. Might as well test it with charcoal.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

I made some ribs this weekend. 9 racks smoked on oak and cherry. They were delicious.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm going to smoke a pork shoulder this weekend if the weathers good but I usually use home made chilli powder in the rub and my uncle doesn't like any heat at all. Any recommendations on a rub and sauce I can make that aren't hot? I'm not sure how he is with mustard but I doubt he likes it much.

I was thinking about doing some beans for the first time under it too but have similar problems for that

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Jose posted:

I'm going to smoke a pork shoulder this weekend if the weathers good but I usually use home made chilli powder in the rub and my uncle doesn't like any heat at all. Any recommendations on a rub and sauce I can make that aren't hot? I'm not sure how he is with mustard but I doubt he likes it much.

I was thinking about doing some beans for the first time under it too but have similar problems for that

Mix sweet paprika w/ garlic powder, oregano, thyme, kosher salt, black pepper, and some brown sugar.

Smear mustard everywhere and dump spice mix on. Rub it in like you're applying lotion to a bikini model's back.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Also onion flake/powder and cumin, cumin owns. I've also had pretty good luck with ground roasted ginger and coriander, but that's obviously in the experimental stage

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Jose posted:

That's a pity, as mustard-based sauces are the best on pulled pork. I'd buy a bottle of KC Masterpiece for him and make this for everyone else.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/south_carolina_mustard_BBQ_sauce.html

You can still rub the meat with mustard, as it doesn't taste like mustard when it's done. Or simply use vegetable oil. The meat just needs something for the rub to adhere to.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

coronaball posted:

That's a pity, as mustard-based sauces are the best on pulled pork. I'd buy a bottle of KC Masterpiece for him and make this for everyone else.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/south_carolina_mustard_BBQ_sauce.html

You can still rub the meat with mustard, as it doesn't taste like mustard when it's done. Or simply use vegetable oil. The meat just needs something for the rub to adhere to.

Seconding this sauce. 1 batch fits perfectly in an empty bourbon bottle, by the way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'll make that and try something else that he'll probably like. If I do the amazing ribs boston baked beans recipe and stick it under the meat I can just do it at the start of cooking right?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
A little unrelated - got a new Weber, and it is set with stainless steel grills. Do they require or benefit from seasoning, or just standard grill rules?

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Jose posted:

Honestly, just plain old salt and pepper is good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think I can get away with paprika so was going to do that with onion/garlic powder and salt/pepper. Not sure if I'll give baked beans a go but probably if I can get disposable foil containers big enough in a supermarket here in the US.

Aside from beans and coleslaw, any other sides people recommend?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Had a recipe that was mashed potatoes with blue cheese, and it was incredible.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

McSpankWich posted:

There's a pulled beef recipe somewhere earlier in the thread that's really awesome. You should do that one.

edit: Found it http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html?m=1

I did this recipe along side my normal pulled pork and it was w huge success. Totally recommend it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
This morning, no plans for the 4th, just a buddy who is veg comming over to drink beer. So I decided to try to smoke my first brisket, bought a little 3lb flat. Now, at 9pm, my girlfriend has 7 people coming over tomorrow. Wish me luck.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Jose posted:

I think I can get away with paprika so was going to do that with onion/garlic powder and salt/pepper. Not sure if I'll give baked beans a go but probably if I can get disposable foil containers big enough in a supermarket here in the US.

Aside from beans and coleslaw, any other sides people recommend?

Don't forget the grilled jalepeno poppers. There's many recipes but I like this one.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-jalapeno-poppers/

You can do them on a hot BBQ in like 15-20 minutes, but they're better on the smoker for 60-90 minutes.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
So, not sure how I've missed this thread, but I bought my large egg about 10 months ago and it has been one of my favorite investments.

More importantly, today is the first time I'm using the stoker, which should help with the 10lb pork shoulder I tossed on a little over an hour ago.

The temp rose to 250 at first and dropped all the way to 207. Seems to be stabilizing now with the fan slowly increasing its run intervals.

Edit: Seems rock solid at 225 now. Did this one in a hurry so no drip pan like I usually do. Need to modify some tupperway and rain-proof the stoker, but it's beautiful tonight!

Edit: This was at 14 hours in, temp was around 180 and holding.

Getting close now, maybe another hour or two.

Edit: Pulled off the egg at exactly 15 hours when the alarm hit 195. Thermapen was showing readings from 190-200 so I foiled it to rest for an hour or so before pulling.

joe944 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 4, 2014

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Urgent :siren:

Anybody ever smoke oysters? What's the process? Leave them whole, on the half shell, or remove from the shell completely?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Here's some 4th of July brisket:

Ritch and I are smoking another gator tomorrow, I'll get video.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
Oh my gosh, I'm dying.

RULE FOR LIFE: NEVER GO ON A VEGAN DIET DURING FOURTH OF JULY.

:cry:

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Great work, Mr Kirk :)

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Oh my gosh, I'm dying.

RULE FOR LIFE: NEVER GO ON A VEGAN DIET EVER.

:cry:

Fixed it for you.

All meat, all the time.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

PhotoKirk posted:

Fixed it for you.

All meat, all the time.

After this experience, I can't help but agree with your edit. It should have been like that in the first place.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its raining and I'm not sure when its going to stop, although not particularly heavy. It doesn't matter right? Its not exactly cold at least

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Jose posted:

Its raining and I'm not sure when its going to stop, although not particularly heavy. It doesn't matter right? Its not exactly cold at least

I feel like I just stumbled into a Hemmingway story...

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Jose posted:

Moisture when you're smoking is good. What's the problem again?

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

coronaball posted:

Urgent :siren:

Anybody ever smoke oysters? What's the process? Leave them whole, on the half shell, or remove from the shell completely?

I know this is too late, but the one time we grilled oyster we did them in thw half shell.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
Finally got around to leveling my grill, so the lid actually closes properly now! It's also holding a much steadier temperature now, although still not as good as it probably could be.

Also, I just could not get my AMZN smoker to work down under the cooking grates while the charcoal is going, even though it worked perfectly in that position when I cold smoked some cheese, so I moved that onto a cooking grate above the coals, and now it's working as advertised.

I'm hosting a belated-July-4th/anniversary/engagement/friend's birthday party today, so I'm smoking ribs and pork shoulder for about 20 people right now. The shoulder has been going since 7 this morning(meaning I've been up since 6), and I wish I had a traeger or BGE so I could go take a nap while it does its thing...

But, ribs go on in an hour, so no rest for the weary!

For the pulled pork, I'm using a variation on Alton Brown's recipe, with garlic in place of the coriander and fennel(because I don't have either of those), and chipotle chili powder.

For the ribs, I'm using Meathead's Memphis Rub minus the rosemary powder(don't have it, and don't feel like powdering fresh, although I'll throw a few sprigs on the coals), plus a tablespoon each of ground thyme and chipotle powder.

Everywhere in and around the house smells amazing :woop:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've got about an hour left before I'm taking my pork shoulders off the smoker, but I've got the amazing ribs Boston Baked beans recipe under them. They're really sweet though and the recipe says they shouldn't really be. I'm guessing this is because I used black treacle instead of molasses that isn't as readily available here, although I did use what I thought was less to compensate. Any recommendations on things to help cut the sweetness? I'm thinking either more dijon mustard/Worcestershire sauce/tomato puree

I also made the south carolina mustard sauce. Since I've got no experience of the real thing, I'm guessing its supposed to be really tart/sour and used fairly sparingly?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Jose posted:

I also made the south carolina mustard sauce. Since I've got no experience of the real thing, I'm guessing its supposed to be really tart/sour and used fairly sparingly?

Yeah it's pretty powerful when you taste it by itself, but it really compliments the flavor of pork. But it's also good to have a bottle of tomato-based BBQ sauce on hand too; for those poor souls that don't like mustard, this sauce is overwhelming.

For my 4th of July event, I made 2 racks of St. Louis, 3 racks of babybacks, and a tri tip. The babybacks got a little dried out cuz I was drunk and forgot em, but everything else came out great and every morsel was consumed. I also melted a plastic wheelbarrow by putting my chimney starter inside it. Although I put a metal pan underneath, the radiant heat from the sides melted the plastic. My wife was not amused. :D

coronaball fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

1. What kind of thermometer is it? If it's a built-in bimetal couple thermometer in the lid or something that came with the unit, those can be off by 50+ degrees. Tends to be both because of their location in the unit and the fact that bimetal couples are poo poo. The good news is that chicken really doesn't give a poo poo, you can do it up at 225 just fine if you're inclined.
2. The two thermometers that are frequently recommended are the Thermapen and the Maverick ET-732. The Thermapen is nice for steaks or whatever because it gets a temp really goddamn fast, the Maverick is a remote one for long cooks that has a probe for both the meat and one that sits above a grate to give you the internal temp of the unit. It's two different thermometers for two different jobs, sounds like you could benefit from the Maverick.
3. Maybe one of those rubber mallets? Someone else will probably have better advice
4. Most of the meats you see with a good amount of bark are shoulders and briskets that sit in the smoker for 10+ hours. I think the strategy with poultry is usually just to tighten up the skin on a grill after it's smoked.
5. I use big rear end chunks--3-4 when I set up the charcoal ring, +1 when I add the lit coals, +1 when I put the food on. At most I'll add one about 45 minutes after I put the food in.

Anyway hope this helps, someone else can probably help you more because I'm just a beginner too and I have the same problem with the temp in my WSM, just drops way low after I put food in. At this point though, like you, I know the food will turn out ok so I just say gently caress it and let it do its thing.

Hey I wanted to say thanks for hte response. I was able to get the dent mostly flushed out, and stopped using the lovely built-in thermometer. Made the wolfepit chuck roast from a few pages ago, to great success, this past week. I didn't cook it long enough to develop a bark, but it's the first time I made beef and was satisfied with the result. Now just more playing around with it.