Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

nsaP posted:

But she would have looked so dorky.

I ride a bicycle and wear nothing. I wear full gear every time I ride my motorcycle. I am aware that it makes no sense.

:( I actually do this as well and my family and friends call me out on it constantly (for good reason). My problem is I sweat like a pig while pedaling up a hill and I appreciate any airflow I can get. It's not a good excuse by any means - I'm still a huge hypocrite when it comes to gear, I realize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I'm cycling, I wear a helmet and an old pair of armored motorcycle gloves :colbert:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
There are cyclists (some on this very site) who make the argument that helmets cause more injuries not through the traditional bullshit "Too much weight on the head" argument, but through an even more ridiculous one. Their "thinking" goes that making helmets mandatory discourages cyclists from riding on the road (because they look dorky and/or they increase the perceived risk) and therefore stop cycling reaching a critical mass (yes, that's where the name of the protest group comes from) which would improve safety.

It's really best not to argue with people that far down the rabbit hole. Someone will end up getting hurt.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's really best not to argue with people that far down the rabbit hole. Someone will end up getting hurt.

Not if you wear a helmet :v:

The same basic argument was trotted out when seat belts were introduced and later made mandatory. A large part of the car-making industry fought against them. They thought it would negatively impact the public perception of driving, by making people aware that it could be an unsafe activity.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Which country over in Europe has all the nice bicycle infrastructure? Is it Denmark? Holland? Either way what got me was how many of their cyclist would forgo helmets as well.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Nope, you are all wrong! It's infrastructure. Give cyclists their own road away from cars and pedestrians, and injury numbers are lowered dramatically. People will cycle slower, and there's very little interaction with traffic that is significantly faster (as you know, speed doesn't kill but the speed difference will). This reduces the incidence rate so much helmets wouldn't make much of an impact.

It is also stupidly expensive to do everywhere at once, so this won't ever happen. For a good while now people from all over the US have come here to study our cycling infrastructure for various reasons, but as of yet not a lot has been set in motion. This is a step in a good direction, but it's just one architecture firm's drawing which implements a dutch crossing halfheartedly. Hmrm.

Of course, if you are Lycra obsessed or have a love of dodging trees, a helmet is p. necessary.

I can't find english sources for this, so these dutch ones will have to do:
http://www.fietsersbond.nl/de-feiten/verkeer-en-veiligheid/fietshelmen/fietshelmen-en-veiligheid
http://www.fietsersbond.nl/de-feiten/verkeer-en-veiligheid/fietshelmen/fietshelmen-en-schijnveiligheid

Edit:

Coredump posted:

Which country over in Europe has all the nice bicycle infrastructure? Is it Denmark? Holland? Either way what got me was how many of their cyclist would forgo helmets as well.

Both! :)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Coredump posted:

Netherlands, where it's also worth pointing out like 80% of the country is at exactly sea level, so bicycling has a rich tradition that hasn't had to fight the uphill battles found elsewhere

Bicycle safety gear does have to deal with heat dispersion issues far more than moto stuff, and for every Armstrong wannabe zipping along at B-road speeds you've got four putzes who never go fast enough to even hear the wind. It's understandable why one group doesn't consider the other's PPE appropriate. Frankly a lot of bikers barely exceed jogging speeds, and if you start talking about how injured you could actually get by having a good trip and fall while jogging, pretty soon you're wanting to live your whole life securely wrapped in bubble wrap.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coredump posted:

I think the Netherlands are ahead. While we do have a lot of cyclists and a thriving cyclist culture in Copenhagen and the other major cities here in Denmark, it tapers off rapidly beyond those.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KARMA! posted:

Nope, you are all wrong! It's infrastructure. Give cyclists their own road away from cars and pedestrians, and injury numbers are lowered dramatically. People will cycle slower, and there's very little interaction with traffic that is significantly faster (as you know, speed doesn't kill but the speed difference will). This reduces the incidence rate so much helmets wouldn't make much of an impact.

It is also stupidly expensive to do everywhere at once, so this won't ever happen. For a good while now people from all over the US have come here to study our cycling infrastructure for various reasons, but as of yet not a lot has been set in motion. This is a step in a good direction, but it's just one architecture firm's drawing which implements a dutch crossing halfheartedly. Hmrm.

Of course, if you are Lycra obsessed or have a love of dodging trees, a helmet is p. necessary.

I can't find english sources for this, so these dutch ones will have to do:
http://www.fietsersbond.nl/de-feiten/verkeer-en-veiligheid/fietshelmen/fietshelmen-en-veiligheid
http://www.fietsersbond.nl/de-feiten/verkeer-en-veiligheid/fietshelmen/fietshelmen-en-schijnveiligheid

Edit:

Both! :)

I like the intersections I've seen diagrams of in the Netherlands where the bicycles have their own lane and don't have to mix with traffic much. The only issue is if you're a car or motorcycle trying to make a right or an un-protected left you're not going to be able to see cross traffic because you're so far back from the intersection.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
There are a lot of idiot _______ out there! Ban them all!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I solve the bicycling deathtrap problem by not riding bicycles :smug:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I do it by riding on the sidewalk. Come at me.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

KARMA! posted:

While factually correct, unless you're building a city from scratch this is essentially impossible to implement properly. To implement properly you need to be able to get to your destination without ever touching a road.

Cycling is very big where I live, we have low speed limits (25-35mph) and short distances (the island is 9 miles long). Our local government decided to put a cycle lane along most of our eastern seafront. The problem is where the road and cycle lane intersect, there are several points where road traffic must cross the cycle lane and there have been two cyclists killed in 2011 and 2013 respectively, both at these junctions. Before the cycle lane I don't know of any other serious incidents, let alone fatalities on this 4mi stretch or any other part of the island in the 18 years I have been a cyclist.

I refuse to use the cycle lane now. We would be better served removing it and making the road wider. I wouldn't even care if they dropped it from 35 to 25. EDIT: Additionally, thanks to all the debris kicked off the road onto the cycle lane, and the fact that it's a route out of town, the lane is usually covered in multiple puncture hazards. I initially started boycotting it when I wrecked more tyres in one month of cycle commuting than I would have paid for petrol on the KTM.

If you can't implement a perfect isolated cycle lane system, going the other way is often a better option in built up areas. If you get rid of pavements (sidewalks) & curbs and simply have one wider space, all parties are then forced to be aware of the other users. Various implementations of this already exist and in many problem areas it has drastically reduced accidents.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 26, 2014

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bicycle asylum.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ReelBigLizard posted:

While factually correct, unless you're building a city from scratch this is essentially impossible to implement properly. To implement properly you need to be able to get to your destination without ever touching a road.

Cycling is very big where I live, we have low speed limits (25-35mph) and short distances (the island is 9 miles long). Our local government decided to put a cycle lane along most of our eastern seafront. The problem is where the road and cycle lane intersect, there are several points where road traffic must cross the cycle lane and there have been two cyclists killed in 2011 and 2013 respectively, both at these junctions. Before the cycle lane I don't know of any other serious incidents, let alone fatalities on this 4mi stretch or any other part of the island in the 18 years I have been a cyclist.

I refuse to use the cycle lane now. We would be better served removing it and making the road wider. I wouldn't even care if they dropped it from 35 to 25. EDIT: Additionally, thanks to all the debris kicked off the road onto the cycle lane, and the fact that it's a route out of town, the lane is usually covered in multiple puncture hazards. I initially started boycotting it when I wrecked more tyres in one month of cycle commuting than I would have paid for petrol on the KTM.

If you can't implement a perfect isolated cycle lane system, going the other way is often a better option in built up areas. If you get rid of pavements (sidewalks) & curbs and simply have one wider space, all parties are then forced to be aware of the other users. Various implementations of this already exist and in many problem areas it has drastically reduced accidents.

I like shared spaces! It's like a square, but cars are allowed.

We had very little bike lanes before the seventies, when a boom in car traffic resulted in the death of hundreds of children it triggered a social movement ("stop de kindermoord", stop the child murder) to keep cars and kids out of each other's way. The answer were bike lanes. Incremental updates over the resulting decades gives us the situation we have today.

Yes, there was a lot of biking before that, and yes there were cycle lanes here and there, but nowhere near what we have today.

I do have to say a lot of places that implement bike lanes do so in a really convoluted way to save money. Of course this results in crappy, confusing traffic situations that helps no one and throws away the money they wanted to save in the first place. London, for example.

karms fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 26, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

Your story sounds like it really sucks, so I'm sorry, but I just read this and have to go lol what the gently caress. Who designs a vehicle that way? That's as bad as the cab-forward Mopars where you have to take off the front wheels to remove the battery.

It sounds scarier than it is, it's about an hour's labor round trip for an amateur. We did it to fix a rocker box leak on my friend's Uly. I think it's a small price to pay for riding one of the greatest motorcycles ever conceived. For perspective, when replacing the clutch cable on a Vstar it takes longer to get the tank, header, and all the doodad covers off and back on again.

Anyhow this is why the Harley powered Buells are superior, you don't need to do a valve adjustment ever.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I always wear a helmet when mountain biking, because there's a much greater chance of falling. But after having kids, I started wearing a helmet when I wear my bicycle in the street as well. It protects me from head injuries when I'm riding, and from harassment by my wife.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Snowdens Secret posted:

so bicycling has a rich tradition that hasn't had to fight the uphill battles found elsewhere

:golfclap:

I also only wear a bicycle helmet and no other gear while bicycling, mainly cause of heat issues.

But then again, I've also seen 50+mph on my road bike on a long descent and that'll get you thinking about gear...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

I always wear a helmet when mountain biking, because there's a much greater chance of falling. But after having kids, I started wearing a helmet when I wear my bicycle in the street as well. It protects me from head injuries when I'm riding, and from harassment by my wife.

And as a dad you have an obligation to look like a goober anyway.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ShaneB posted:

Bicycle asylum.

Didn't this forum also used to be a cycling/motor ycle forum before YLLS?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

Didn't this forum also used to be a cycling/motor ycle forum before YLLS?

I feel like people who only bicycle are a different group of cyclist versus motorcycle enthusiast. Mainly the wekkend spandex weenies are pretty annoying.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Kind of this. While bicycling can be fun and all, like other posters said you basically have to design your city around it for it to be safe and practical, and that's a fantastic waste of money and space that could go to much more useful (and environmentally effective) ends. Which is why at least in the US, bicycling advocates (as opposed to casual bikers) tend to be raging spandex-clad narcissists.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
Almost got clipped on my motorcycle today by a cyclist who passed me while I was sitting at the redlight. Of course pedal bikes are immune traffic laws for some reason and are allowed swap form roads to sidewalks to bike lanes as they please and don't have to sit at redlights.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ugh. Some dumb oval office decided to run from the cops and hit the side of a car turning right (left for you mirror-land people) into a driveway as he goes past. I feel sorry for the pensioners in the old sentra. Also another old 90's pocket superbike ruined by a dickhead.

Some choice quotes:

article posted:

His helmet had been flung to the opposite side of the road, and one of the man's shoes was lying near the entrance to the surf club car park.

article posted:

The motorcyclist had been travelling down Hawke St "at speed" when an unmarked police car passed him in the opposite direction.

Upon seeing police, the motorcyclist "further accelerated", Superintendent Andy McGregor said.

Police did a U-turn and followed the motorcyclist, who had turned down New Brighton's Marine Pde and run a stop sign to evade police.

The man was about 150-200 metres ahead of the pursuing police car when he crashed into a vehicle turning into right into the New Brighton Surf Club.

The rider was thrown "10 to 15 metres", McGregor said, and appeared to have died on impact.

article posted:

The woman had been "quite concerned and upset" as she could not see her husband, and was "incapable of standing at that stage".

She had calmed down when the couple were reunited and helped across the road to chairs and blankets that had been brought out of houses for them.
I have no sympathy whatsoever. Man was an idiot, death wasn't a tragedy. Hilarious that the cops have to trot out their usual line though:

article posted:

Police would now be investigating the cause of the crash, and reviewing the actions of the police officers involved.

"On the face of the information before me at the moment, I'm satisfied of where we are at at the moment," McGregor said.

"The fact is this person was speeding, they were breaking the law. If the rider had actually stopped he'd be alive today."

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 27, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
They even mention in that story that it's the stopping that killed him??? Cops just don't grok physics.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Does running actually ever work? Tons of bikers think they can just get away from anything. I'm most interested in the helmet being flung far away. Was the rider even wearing it? Was it strapped?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

"The fact is this person was speeding, they were breaking the law. If the rider had actually stopped he'd be alive today."

No loving poo poo, sherlock.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Running works all the time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Does running actually ever work? Tons of bikers think they can just get away from anything. I'm most interested in the helmet being flung far away. Was the rider even wearing it? Was it strapped?

It can do, but not very well if they've seen your number plate - assuming that is you don't manage to dump the bike, get home, discard all your biking gear and replace it with stuff that looks different, and report the bike stolen. Of course if the bike is stolen then yeah there's a fair chance, if you can get enough speed up before they turn round, that they'll never be able to catch you or they'll call off the pursuit as being too dangerous.

Back in the day at the Chelsea Bridge tea stall you'd see guys pull up, take off their number plates (held on with velcro) and then head off for some proper stupidity - then the old bill started charging them with attempting to pervert the course of justice (serious prison time) on top of crushing the bike if they ever caught them.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Snowdens Secret posted:

They even mention in that story that it's the stopping that killed him??? Cops just don't grok physics.

RDS (Rapid Deacceleration Syndrome).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Coydog posted:

Does running actually ever work?

Short answer yes, longer answer it depends on how distinctive you look / if they saw your plates / the cops think you're Slavvy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coydog posted:

All the kids at my college with Ninja 250s have totally got away from the popo, dawg. Totally.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
On a trip to deals gap, we had a retired sheriff in our group. We were having a campfire discussion and running from the cops came up. He said that he would always have trouble with bikers because if they knew the roads they would just wait for the cop to get out of his car, then take off and almost always get away. I asked about the license plate being seen on the onboard police camera. He said that unless you could positively identify him/her, they would usually get off scott free saying that "my bike was stolen" or something along those lines in court.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Every biker should be going though the c25k course imho. I did, and I never want to run in again my life.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Coydog posted:

Does running actually ever work?

You might be able to outrun a police cruiser, but you can't outrun a radio.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

According to ~~people I know~~ the guy wasn't wearing any ho thing besides a helmet so I'm assuming it wasn't. The bike appears to be ZXR-250 so he was, presumably, an enormous ballsack who couldn't ride for poo poo. I also picture hitting the side of a car and flying over the top like that and it honestly doesn't seem like it should be a lethal crash, I don't think it would be going out on a limb to assume that if he had actual riding gear he'd have survived.

Sagebrush posted:

I knew a guy with a built-up fireblade who deliberately broke off a corner of his numberplate and left it attached to the bike by one of the numberplate bolts. The other side would be held on with a cable tie. When he would go out to dong it up he would cut the zip tie and stick the plate under his seat/in his backpack. If he saw a cop who was moving he'd just run. If he was at a traffic light or something, doing nothing illegal, and a cop pulled him over he would just pull the plate out and tell the guy it broke off down the road.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
If your helmet pops off, one of two things happened: you didn't buckle up, or you are decapitated.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sagebrush posted:

If you break the line of sight, and quickly, they don't know where to tell the other cops where you are on the radio.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

nsaP posted:

If you break the line of sight, and quickly, they don't know where to tell the other cops where you are on the radio.

Not to mention if someone is already doing 120 past a cop they probably won't be able to say much on the radio other than "rear end in a top hat on a black sportbike in red/blue/white/black gear northbound on I-*". Depending on the area and how well the person knows it I could see people being able to just basically take an exit and disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I do not run from the cops because I'm kindof easily identifiable. Also because I enjoy living and not panic crashing to avoid a speeding ticket.