Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Danbri posted:

Welcome back, everyone.

I have no idea what's going on above but I thought I'd interject with Q/Ultimax USA news that The voice actor for Naoto is changing. Again.

Valerie Arem voiced Naoto in the anime dub, so at least it's not too huge a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Strange Quark posted:

Valerie Arem voiced Naoto in the anime dub, so at least it's not too huge a change.

That was Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

MrAristocrates posted:

That was Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.

Oh right, Erin Fitzgerald's tweet said that she was in the dub, whoops.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Who did Naoto in Arena 1?

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Strange Quark posted:

That was Mary Elizabeth McGlynn in her Major Kusanagi voice, but I liked that voice, so I would have taken that too.

MrAristocrates posted:

There was a stream for Ultimax earlier today and according to Atlus USA her voice is basically identical. What I heard supports that, but I don't have a lot to go on.

I heard a clip from her in Braverly Default. It's not astoundingly different, so I mean that's cool.

Enjoy your forever anonymity, old VA. Perhaps you were the smartest of all.

fe:

The_Frag_Man posted:

The original VA for her.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The_Frag_Man posted:

Same VA as in Vanilla P4, the one no one knows.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The_Frag_Man posted:

:iiam:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Too bad, her mystery VA was pretty good. I'm sure this'll be fine though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I've played about 12 hours of Persona 3 FES now, and I like it, but I feel like I'm not getting a lot of direction with respect to the dungeon-crawling side. Like, I can't really tell if I should be going to Tartarus more, or I should have reached a higher floor by now (I'm at 25.) Also, a whole bunch of enemies have dropped gemstones of various sorts, and the usual RPG logic with gemstones is "sell this," but I can't seem to do that. What's up?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Fortunately, it's very easy to just never even trigger it, so...there's that? Unless you're using a guide, you'll most likely just end up as friends.

Oh thank god.

I followed your advice and slink maxed shinjiro. We even had some sex thanks to the FeMC refusing to take no for an answer :v:

Do Yukari/Junpei/Mitsuro/Akihiko ever get more skills?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, keep playing the game.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I've played about 12 hours of Persona 3 FES now, and I like it, but I feel like I'm not getting a lot of direction with respect to the dungeon-crawling side. Like, I can't really tell if I should be going to Tartarus more, or I should have reached a higher floor by now (I'm at 25.) Also, a whole bunch of enemies have dropped gemstones of various sorts, and the usual RPG logic with gemstones is "sell this," but I can't seem to do that. What's up?

As long as you reach the barriers before each full moon fight you should be good. The gemstones are for trading for stuff at the antique shop, but that doesn't open until later on

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I got back into SMT IV while the forums were down and inexplicably, despite not using a guide at all, I managed to balance my Law and Chaos points all the way up to Ginza. The Cynical Man is still telling me I'm "hard to read" or whatever. How much longer do I have to go until I get locked into Neutral? I know I need to be leaning one way or the other by the final choice.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MrAristocrates posted:

I got back into SMT IV while the forums were down and inexplicably, despite not using a guide at all, I managed to balance my Law and Chaos points all the way up to Ginza. The Cynical Man is still telling me I'm "hard to read" or whatever. How much longer do I have to go until I get locked into Neutral? I know I need to be leaning one way or the other by the final choice.

You're close. The big problem is you're going to go through a huge blank spot where you can't check alignment: just start alternating law/chaos on every choice while you're in that region and pray it works.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

MrAristocrates posted:

There's a big alignment choice coming up that you'll know when you see it. Just try picking one and then picking the opposite alignment choices after that until you get to the route lock. Iirc, the Law choices give a few more points than the Chaos ones, so it might be easiest to go Chaos > Law > Chaos.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Are you guys are talking about the tunnel of Ethics?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

For some reason the Law/Chaos choices in SMTIV bug me a lot more than they did in Strange Journey. I don't know why. In Strange Journey it was actually kind of fun to get drunk on the power of Law or Chaos and watch all your crew members go nuts right along with you (and it was similarly satisfying to be Neutral and try to keep everyone not crazy). Here though it feels a lot more...painful.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

MrAristocrates posted:

Nah. It's the stint where you don't have the alignment check guy at hand.

e: Oh right, you probably shouldn't read that spoiler.

e2: Ah whatever, it's more vague now.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 26, 2014

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

MrAristocrates posted:

No, that's something else later on. I believe that the choices for the Tunnel of Ethics only give +1 point for an alignment? Something pretty small.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Booky posted:

No, that's something else later on. I believe that the choices for the Tunnel of Ethics only give +1 point for an alignment? Something pretty small.

+1 for the first and +5 for the second and third. I'm leaning towards Law at the moment because I went Chaos/Law/Law for those.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

MrAristocrates posted:

+1 for the first and +5 for the second and third. I'm leaning towards Law at the moment because I went Chaos/Law/Law for those.

Yeah, there's a big choice later on, which gives something like +10, which is the same as the final choice before the route lock. As a head's up, you do have a short window to check your alignment after making the first big choice, but afterwards you're flying blind.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

For some reason the Law/Chaos choices in SMTIV bug me a lot more than they did in Strange Journey. I don't know why. In Strange Journey it was actually kind of fun to get drunk on the power of Law or Chaos and watch all your crew members go nuts right along with you (and it was similarly satisfying to be Neutral and try to keep everyone not crazy). Here though it feels a lot more...painful.

One of the consequences of making the Law/Chaos characters in SMTIV much more likable and human is that when poo poo finally does get real, it kind of comes out of nowhere and feels forced. Jonathan and Walter both seem like sane people with some ideological quibbles, but are forced to fit into the alignment paths the game wants to have because it's SMT.

In Noctourne it makes way more sense that everyone ends up a crazy rear end in a top hat because it's the more or less the end of the old world, ditto with the Devil Survivors and SJ. SMTIV's world is a little more stable, if not still lovely, so the alignment choices come off as a more "wait what."

*edit* SJ also works because eventually both Law and Chaos drop any pretense of being The Good Guys and just become strait up batshit insane GOTTA KILL EVERYONE monsters.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 26, 2014

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

One of the consequences of making the Law/Chaos characters in SMTIV much more likable and human is that when poo poo finally does get real, it kind of comes out of nowhere and feels forced. Jonathan and Walter both seem like sane people with some ideological quibbles, but are forced to fit into the alignment paths the game wants to have because it's SMT.

*edit* SJ also works because eventually both Law and Chaos drop any pretense of being The Good Guys and just become strait up batshit insane GOTTA KILL EVERYONE monsters.

Yeah I was amazed how much I liked both of them until I hit endgame. poo poo, especially in that alignment black-box portion, they were really good bros and having them work together with me again was a very "Awww" moment after the game's beginning.

Then I got super disappointed by Isabeau just being a blank slate. I hoped she learned how to shine on Neutral. :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

How's the Devil Summoner 2 port? Any outstanding issues or is it basically fine? I've been a little leery of the past few SMT PS2 Classics since so many people have brought up lag issues with them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I looked up the values of all the future choices because I'm about to hit the first +10 decision, and goddamn, this is gonna be annoying to figure out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MrAristocrates posted:

I looked up the values of all the future choices because I'm about to hit the first +10 decision, and goddamn, this is gonna be annoying to figure out.
I can't remember if anything is missing where you are now, but there are a few decision points prior where the various FAQs have the wrong numbers. I believe the SMT IV thread OP shows which ones. If you follow the wrong alignment FAQs to the letter you'll be in a position to get either Law or Chaos but not Neutral.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nate RFB posted:

I can't remember if anything is missing where you are now, but there are a few decision points prior where the various FAQs have the wrong numbers. I believe the SMT IV thread OP shows which ones. If you follow the wrong alignment FAQs to the letter you'll be in a position to get either Law or Chaos but not Neutral.

Super. Well, I'm holding onto an old save so hopefully I can just reset if I gently caress up.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

Super. Well, I'm holding onto an old save so hopefully I can just reset if I gently caress up.

I kept an old save as well and I am glad I did because I ended up messing up big time by the end though in hindsight I am glad I got to restart as that meant I got to fight a couple more interesting boss battles and in general I had a clearer idea about what I was doing.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.p4gausa.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnrWjXVqV2M

aniplex posted:

Persona4 the Golden ANIMATION will begin streaming this July! The gang is back after 3 years joined by a few new faces. What lies in store for Yu Narukami and his friends this time around?

Well, Here's the US version of the Persona 4 Golden anime. It's on Aniplex, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Disuke starting July 10th. Probably the later half of the day since it airs in Japan Thursday Night/Friday Morning their time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Yeah, it comes off as even more ridiculous when you spent hours with the two of them getting along relatively well, even going against Law/Chaos in their respective worlds. That game's story was really weird and felt needlessly constrained.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dehry posted:

https://www.p4gausa.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnrWjXVqV2M

Well, Here's the US version of the Persona 4 Golden anime. It's on Aniplex, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Disuke starting July 10th. Probably the later half of the day since it airs in Japan Thursday Night/Friday Morning their time.

Yep, it's a remake. Here's the blurb on the introduction page.

quote:

Spring. Far from the city, time flows peacefully in this rural town. As the cherry blossoms scatter in the wind, a young man named Yu Narukami steps off the train at Yasoinaba Station.

Yu has come to this town, where his uncle lives, for family reasons; he will be transferring into the local high school, Yasogami High.

And so begins his school life... The shopping mall after school. A series of murders taking place in town. The Midnight Channel, airing late at night...

What lies in store for Yu and his friends "this time around?"

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
e:nevermind lol

Excels fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 26, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Excels posted:

So the Golden anime takes place... way after the Arena games I guess :psyduck: Sorta negates any tension about bad things to come in Arena 2, since we know everyone will be fine years later.

By "3 years", they mean 3 years after the original anime aired.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'll just wait for the bluray. Again.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I thought this was just a fan translation. All the subtitles for signs are horrible looking.

I feel like the quality is going to be similar to the original series.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

PureRok posted:

I'll just wait for the bluray. Again.

Yeah... it's the JP voice cast too on the stream, and I've heard the US cast waay too much to switch now.
Whoever's making this, I swear to God if you just release this on Blu-ray with Japanese subs... well, at least you will have saved me a decent amount of money.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Danbri posted:

Yeah... it's the JP voice cast too on the stream, and I've heard the US cast waay too much to switch now.
Whoever's making this, I swear to God if you just release this on Blu-ray with Japanese subs... well, at least you will have saved me a decent amount of money.

If it's Aniplex releasing it, chances are it'll have just as much :effort: as they're putting into their Persona 3 release.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I didn't have a single complaint about the dubbing in vanilla P3 or P4. It was very natural sounding and all the voices fit the characters. JYB hammed it up a little toward the end of P4 and couldn't quite pull it off but it was fine regardless.

Most of the new voices are just *slightly off*, except for New Chie who is terribad.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
JYB owned as Adachi and I am looking forward to him in P4A2. Also Aniplex is probably not dubbing it, nor are you going to buy it anyways because they're gonna release 4 episodes on blu-ray for like 75 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My introduction into Persona (and anime) was watching the original anime, so I know what the Japanese characters sound like. It won't bug me all that much.

Beef Waifu posted:

JYB owned as Adachi and I am looking forward to him in P4A2. Also Aniplex is probably not dubbing it, nor are you going to buy it anyways because they're gonna release 4 episodes on blu-ray for like 75 bucks.

Woah. Slow down there buddy. They're going to release two episodes and a music CD if its anything like the previous release.