Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Parallax Scroll posted:

I forget, does someone have to be my direct vassal when I press their claim? I'm an emperor, there's a count who has a claim on a duchy, and that count is a vassal of one of my dukes. What would happen if I pressed his duchy claim? Whose vassal would he be afterwards?

It should be yours, since a duke can't have a duke vassal, but I'm not 100% certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, he'll become a duke and your direct vassal. If you were pressing a claim on another county, I believe he would remain your duke's vassal.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Yeah, he became my vassal, thanks.

Which kind of assassination does "build spy network" improve? Plot or diplomacy?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Parallax Scroll posted:

Yeah, he became my vassal, thanks.

Which kind of assassination does "build spy network" improve? Plot or diplomacy?

It definitely improves diplomacy assassinations, both increasing success chance and lowering the chance of discovery. This can be observed pretty easily, you don't even have to unpause.

I don't think it has any effect on plot assassinations, but I'm not sure. I haven't noticed any change in plot power per character. I suppose it might have an impact on the success chance once the event pops up, but that would be pretty hard to test.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 23, 2014

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there any hope that mustering will improve during the game's lifespan that I no longer have to spend 10 minutes getting ready for war each time?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there any hope that mustering will improve during the game's lifespan that I no longer have to spend 10 minutes getting ready for war each time?
That's what king vassals are for!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Status update: 69 years old and just have enough resources to kick the poo poo out of everyone holding those holy sites. Which almost assuredly means I will die before it's done.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

lurksion posted:

That's what king vassals are for!

Too bad about the king vassal relations penalty.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Status update: 69 years [≈ average human life expectancy at birth, 2011 estimate] old and just have enough resources to kick the poo poo out of everyone holding those holy sites. Which almost assuredly means I will die before it's done.

Dictionary of Numbers is wonderfully ironic sometimes.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Baron Porkface posted:

Too bad about the king vassal relations penalty.

As long as your character is halfway decent (and you take care to ensure all your kings are same culture) it is pretty trivial to keep vassal kings happy. It is really no different than dukes desiring your kingdom title.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
If I could change the title King to Governor or something I'd be a lot happier using them as vassals. There shall be no kings but I!

Someone posted earlier about making the Roman Republic and I've done just that in my game, thanks to a mod decision. This means the Roman Empire is Patrician Elective, so I'm planning on handing a Kingdom title to each of the patricians and seeing what crazy stuff occurs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MrBling posted:

As long as your character is halfway decent (and you take care to ensure all your kings are same culture) it is pretty trivial to keep vassal kings happy. It is really no different than dukes desiring your kingdom title.

Vassal kings are also really good for reducing independence plotting in some circumstances. As Scandinavia the dudes in Finland and loving Iceland are constantly plotting for independence. But let some guys become the kings of Norway and Finland, and the distance penalty for independence factions pretty much disappears.

You can also decide to raise all the levies without having a bunch of tiny stacks off in remote duchies just standing there being useless. The capitals of all the kingdoms in Scandinavia are close together, so gathering the levies is quick and easy.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Let's Break CK2, for World Conquest on the Paradox forums finished. It ended up taking 9 years to conquer the world from a start of 867, in ironman.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Just started up a Russian pagan succession game over on RPGnet. I promptly got Rurik-stomped then died of the pox. Hoping that the next player can pull something together.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Darth Various posted:

Dictionary of Numbers is wonderfully ironic sometimes.

Aaaaargh! He died after claiming Uppland, but laying the groundwork for his son to claim the two other sites. He'd went and gotten 2/3rds of them but then died in battle trying to claim the 3rd he'd need.

Goddammit this is hard.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Playing as a Republic is hard! I'm playing the 867 Venice start with a custom ruler who's a lustful hedonist midas touched. My plan was to sex as many women as possible to get a load of male family members and spam out trade posts for big income early on. My first Doge had nine sons and a daughter, so that was perfect, and I managed to marry most of them off to genius women and start a nice little eugenics program.

But I'm on my third Doge now and not really managing to get to the 'swimming in money' stage. Nobody mentioned the 'family allowances' that I have to pay all the male family members in my court, so easily half of my income is going toward making all my sons and brothers rich apparently. The rest of it is going on upgrading my holdings and my palace and building trade posts (I'm up to 20 now and I just wiped out Amalfi when they turned Lollard) but it's not enough!

Not having matrilineal marriage or title revocation are big handicaps as well. Daughters seem really useless as a result, since alliances are sometimes more trouble than they're worth, and I only use them for prestige boosts by marrying random dukes and their relatives.

I mean, I wanted a bit of a challenge after my last game as Castile/Hispania where I conquered the HRE and everything west of it in about 100 years (getting a vassal-pope-son is pretty broken for how easy it is), so this is keeping me interested. But I don't understand whoever called republics overpowered!

The fun part is trying to figure out the incestuous adulterous web that is my family, though. I'm sleeping with my wife, as well as the wives of two of my brothers and one of my sons, my own wife is sleeping with my brother and my son, who is also sleeping with one of my own lovers and god knows who else. These affairs have produced loads of kids that the husbands think are these, such that for any given nephew or grandson I've started forgetting whether they were actually mine or not, so I'm swimming in "nephews" and "grandsons". My older brother might actually be my father, my son might actually be my brother, and I've only just started marrying cousins to cousins so it's only going to get worse from here. Venetian politics!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Boing posted:

Playing as a Republic is hard! I'm playing the 867 Venice start with a custom ruler who's a lustful hedonist midas touched. My plan was to sex as many women as possible to get a load of male family members and spam out trade posts for big income early on. My first Doge had nine sons and a daughter, so that was perfect, and I managed to marry most of them off to genius women and start a nice little eugenics program.

But I'm on my third Doge now and not really managing to get to the 'swimming in money' stage. Nobody mentioned the 'family allowances' that I have to pay all the male family members in my court, so easily half of my income is going toward making all my sons and brothers rich apparently. The rest of it is going on upgrading my holdings and my palace and building trade posts (I'm up to 20 now and I just wiped out Amalfi when they turned Lollard) but it's not enough!

Not having matrilineal marriage or title revocation are big handicaps as well. Daughters seem really useless as a result, since alliances are sometimes more trouble than they're worth, and I only use them for prestige boosts by marrying random dukes and their relatives.

I mean, I wanted a bit of a challenge after my last game as Castile/Hispania where I conquered the HRE and everything west of it in about 100 years (getting a vassal-pope-son is pretty broken for how easy it is), so this is keeping me interested. But I don't understand whoever called republics overpowered!

The fun part is trying to figure out the incestuous adulterous web that is my family, though. I'm sleeping with my wife, as well as the wives of two of my brothers and one of my sons, my own wife is sleeping with my brother and my son, who is also sleeping with one of my own lovers and god knows who else. These affairs have produced loads of kids that the husbands think are these, such that for any given nephew or grandson I've started forgetting whether they were actually mine or not, so I'm swimming in "nephews" and "grandsons". My older brother might actually be my father, my son might actually be my brother, and I've only just started marrying cousins to cousins so it's only going to get worse from here. Venetian politics!

How far into the game are you? Because starting in 867 as a republic means you don't reach the ludicrous money stage for a while because you start with such low technology. Once you're no longer getting maluses to your trade post limit from technology, your trade posts skyrocket, and you max out your palace, you'll be pulling in so much money that you'll literally not have enough things to spend it on.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Only about 50 years, but I've got trade practices 3 so I no longer get a trade post malus and I've built about 20 now as I mentioned. I've also got income from Venice, my palace and the rest of my demesne (about 5 cities and a castle or two). Problem is my monthly revenue is about 50 gold and about 25 of that goes to family entitlements, which is my only upkeep cost. It's a lot! Is there any way to minimise it other than just having less family? Do landed men not have it?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Emy posted:

Let's Break CK2, for World Conquest on the Paradox forums finished. It ended up taking 9 years to conquer the world from a start of 867, in ironman.

this is a work of art.

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 26, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Boing posted:

Only about 50 years, but I've got trade practices 3 so I no longer get a trade post malus and I've built about 20 now as I mentioned. I've also got income from Venice, my palace and the rest of my demesne (about 5 cities and a castle or two). Problem is my monthly revenue is about 50 gold and about 25 of that goes to family entitlements, which is my only upkeep cost. It's a lot! Is there any way to minimise it other than just having less family? Do landed men not have it?

That is correct, only unlanded men in your court have that problem. One you've reached whatever trade post limit you're happy with, start conquering cities and hand them over to the men in your court.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I'm trying to remember how to put together an effective demesne. You want all the counties in the de jure borders of your two duchies, right? If I'm an emperor, does it matter what kingdoms those duchies are in? I'm looking to use the duchies at Kiev and Stockholm (don't remember their in-game names but that's where they're located), since I've already upgraded holdings at both locations. Kiev is in the de jure kingdom of Ruthenia, which I haven't created yet. Stockholm is in the de jure kingdom of Sweden, and one of my vassals already has that kingdom. Will that work as-is, or do I need to make any adjustments?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Boing posted:

Remember, the money doesn't really go away when you pay it out to them. Just wait until the next one inherits, you'll get a bunch of your money back. It just means you get money in lump sums more.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Some dumb newbie questions about EU4 converter (which I have, but never used) if anyone is so kind to answer:

1- do I have to play the game till the time limit in CK2 to be able to export to EU4? What happens if I dont?

2- will the converter just export the nation I was playing or the whole world as it is on my save?

3- I had this idea of using my current game, in which I conquered most of Europe as the Arabian Empire. So I would have a mostly muslin Europe, which can be a fun scenario. But first, I would release my vassal sultans as independent realms (otherwise most of Europe, Africa and Arabian Penninsula would be just one nation, as I understand, and that would make a pretty boring world), and then fix their borders a little (because its quite a mess right now, with things like the Sultan of Italia owning provinces in north africa and the Sultan of Abyssinia owning parts of France etc). How could I easily do that? It is something that can be done in the converter or I would have to do it before exporting my save? Can I use console commands or cheats to revoke titles from one nation and give it to others?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 26, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Some dumb newbie questions about EU4 converter (which I have, but never used) if anyone is so kind to answer:

1- do I have to play the game till the time limit in CK2 to be able to export to EU4? What happens if I dont?

2- will the converter just export the nation I was playing or the whole world as it is on my save?

3- I had this idea of using my current game, where I conquered most of Europe as the Arabian Empire. So I would have a mostly muslin Europe, which can be a fun scenario. But first, I would release my vassal sultans as independent realms (otherwise most of Europe, Africa and Arabian Penninsula would be just one nation, as I understand, and that would make a pretty boring world), and then fix their borders a little (because its quite a mess right now, with things like the Sultan of Italia owning provinces in north africa and the Sultan of Abyssinia owning parts of France etc). How could I easily do that? It is something that can be done in the converter or I would have to do it before exporting my save? Can I use console commands or cheats to revoke titles from one nation and give it to others?

1- No, when you export from before the end date it will start in 1444.

2- The whole world as it is on your save.

3- Console commands should work just fine.

Do note that currently the converter has some problems, some things aren't converting over properly. Should be fixed in the next full patch.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

3- I had this idea of using my current game, where I conquered most of Europe as the Arabian Empire. So I would have a mostly muslin Europe, which can be a fun scenario. But first, I would release my vassal sultans as independent realms (otherwise most of Europe, Africa and Arabian Penninsula would be just one nation, as I understand, and that would make a pretty boring world), and then fix their borders a little (because its quite a mess right now, with things like the Sultan of Italia owning provinces in north africa and the Sultan of Abyssinia owning parts of France etc). How could I easily do that? It is something that can be done in the converter or I would have to do it before exporting my save? Can I use console commands or cheats to revoke titles from one nation and give it to others?

1- No.

2- Whole world.

3- It largely depends on if opinion scores carry over in the converter, and I don't know if they do. If they don't, then you can use standard title revocation immediately before converting without any consequences.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
1. No, you can convert at any time you choose, the world will 'advance' to EU4's start date.

2. Everything included in CK2 will be converted.

3. That should work, you'd need to touch it up either with some editing before or editing after- the converter gives you no options, it just converts. If your nation has minimum crown authority all your duke/king vassals, I believe, will be converted as vassals.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Thank you for the answers, looks like my idea is possible then.

I will look after console commands and cheats to fix the borders, seems easier than revoking and possibly having to deal with rebellions and stuff.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Does the converter not also "release" vassals as independent vassal states at a certain CA, and if so, what CA level is that?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

DStecks posted:

Does the converter not also "release" vassals as independent vassal states at a certain CA, and if so, what CA level is that?

I believe it releases vassal states if you have the lowest CA, unless you're the HRE, in which case it releases vassals unless you have Absolute CA.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

catlord posted:

I believe it releases vassal states if you have the lowest CA, unless you're the HRE, in which case it releases vassals unless you have Absolute CA.

But then it means it would release my vassal dukes and counts too or just the kings?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

WilliamAnderson posted:

Remember, the money doesn't really go away when you pay it out to them. Just wait until the next one inherits, you'll get a bunch of your money back. It just means you get money in lump sums more.

Inheritances take a long time, I spend about as much money as any individual guy has on campaign funds to make sure the loving Tradonicos or whatever don't get elected, and with ~15 male family members in my court the money may as well be going away with all the likelihood I have of getting it back.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

But then it means it would release my vassal dukes and counts too or just the kings?

I believe it will just release the highest level vassals, since I don't think EU4 allows vassals to have their own vassals. I could be totally wrong, though.

(By highest level vassals, I mean everybody not a baron who is your vassal directly, regardless of the tier of their title.)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DStecks posted:

I believe it will just release the highest level vassals, since I don't think EU4 allows vassals to have their own vassals. I could be totally wrong, though.

(By highest level vassals, I mean everybody not a baron who is your vassal directly, regardless of the tier of their title.)

Yeah, that's what I was asking. I still have a lot of direct vassal dukes and counts too, I dont want then to be released as independent nations, just the vassal kings.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Apparently the Byzantine Empire is acting like a human player.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tesla was right posted:

It happened on my current game too. I guess the AI is learning our tricks.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Does it cost anything (money or opinion) to raise levies and then dismiss them before you've unpaused?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tesla was right posted:

Venice is actually de jure Byzantine. The Doge is a king on an island so the Emperor doesn't always gently caress with him but sometimes rolls up and says "giev me ur goldz!!!" In my current game the Byzantines conquered Venice pretty much the instant they had enough boats to do it.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, and part of it depends on if Venice is wealthy enough to have enough swords to fend them off mixed with how many other dick punching matches Byzantium gets into.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Parallax Scroll posted:

Does it cost anything (money or opinion) to raise levies and then dismiss them before you've unpaused?

Not as far as I know. What does doing it gain you?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I saw some people talking about a Karling challenge of re-establishing the Empire starting as that last count, but what about wiping the Karlings off the map in an 867 start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Bort Bortles posted:

I saw some people talking about a Karling challenge of re-establishing the Empire starting as that last count, but what about wiping the Karlings off the map in an 867 start?

That's impossible.

• Locked thread