Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Shouldn't they be paying out all of that?

Apparently it depends on the state. I made the same mistake earlier in the thread when I called out agreed-upon vacation time being a contractual obligation. Nope, not federally! :suicide: They only have to honor it if the state laws say they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Sundae posted:

Apparently it depends on the state. I made the same mistake earlier in the thread when I called out agreed-upon vacation time being a contractual obligation. Nope, not federally! :suicide: They only have to honor it if the state laws say they do.

In most states if the employer says in the contract "I will pay unused PTO at termination" they must but otherwise, nope!

CA and IL you have to pay it as wages, there are probably more, but mostly nope, you're hosed.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Sundae posted:

If it's in an actual employment contract, then yes, the employer has to pay it out regardless of the governing state's law. But otherwise, yup, you're screwed if your state doesn't obligate vacation time payout at termination.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
When I left I got my PTO paid out at like 30% :rolleyes:

thanks guys.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
That's just ridiculous. There's no point to having vacation time if companies can prevent people from using it and don't pay out for it when they leave.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

more friedman units posted:

That's just ridiculous. There's no point to having vacation time if companies can prevent people from using it and don't pay out for it when they leave.

Well they could always just not give you any vacation time, which is also perfectly legal.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Inept posted:

Well they could always just not give you any vacation time, which is also perfectly legal.

At least that's honest.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Inept posted:

Why do you hate freedom?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Many vacation time accruals are done over the year,meaning you don't fully earn your yearly time until that last pay period of the year.

So technically if you take your vacation early in the year,and have nine banked up,then quit, you owe the company money.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I've been in the corporate world a bit over a month now. I genuinely do like my direct coworkers a lot personally (we're mostly isolated from everyone else and pretty tight knit as a result), they're very good people. And that's not in contrast to anything; I haven't exactly dealt with a ton of people, but I haven't met anyone I actively dislike, and most casual acquaintances have been relatively nice, so that's good.

Everything I've said about the gigantic wastes of time and productivity and bloat haven't changed. They're legion. You can't really even single out any one person, although some of the lifers have definitely checked out. It's more just the system is so productivity crushing. That's been a source of stress for me, although not really close to the extent that I've been used to in the past. There are a LOT of times that I simply can't do my job because of network problems and I'm far from alone in that, and everyone is pretty much resigned to it. At one of the biggest companies in the world that sees itself at the forefront of technology. Anything related to IT and/or HR and/or training is soul-numbingly terrible, and I'm sure there's some very good reason for that like everyone is overworked and such.

Still, it's stressful in the sense because I (and everyone else) am having trouble meeting our deliverables, and I can't exactly do all the things that I was hired to do because of it. I guess? I'm fine because I've been contributing in other ways (although mostly not ones that are directly measured), and it really does bother me, and I am putting in extra hours to get things right, and my coworkers/superiors seem to like me. I absolutely do give a poo poo though, because in theory this role could accomplish a lot, my compensation/benefits are awesome, I really do enjoy being with my coworkers every day, and this could be a great opportunity both in the long run and terms of opportunities for skills development. I just need to start making it count in quantifiable ways. I'm not really freaking out for the afore mentioned reasons, having good savings, and being able to get my old job back in a second, but it'd be nice.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Kim Jong Il posted:

Anything related to IT and/or HR and/or training is soul-numbingly terrible, and I'm sure there's some very good reason for that like everyone is overworked and such.

Unless you work at a company where it's directly related to the company's product somehow (SaaS or an IT outsourcing business, for example), IT is generally seen as a cost center. So, they generally have to make do with whatever scraps get left for them in the budget and hope that they can one day staff up to bare-bones levels. Also, they're usually hamstrung by braindead policies from people who have no idea what the implications are (and are themselves exempt, of course).

HR (and training) on the other hand tends to be terrible because at most companies its sole purpose is to shield the company from potential lawsuits in the making, not anything that would benefit an employee at all.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Kim Jong Il posted:

Anything related to IT and/or HR and/or training is soul-numbingly terrible, and I'm sure there's some very good reason for that like everyone is overworked and such.

For most companies, IT is regarded as a blackhole that sucks away money and does something with it, which at times leads to distrust about the department and what the hell those nerds are doing. If senior management only sees IT as a department that is constantly losing money instead of one that enables other departments to make the money, then things can get really grim fast. Usually you get a snowball effect as departments lose people, then training dries up, so the remaining people don't have the ability to fix issues as quickly, or at all. Users get mad, start asking for "things to be done", people are thrown in front of buses and suddenly they are paying consultants 6 figures to get poo poo back in line because your IT department is now 2 help desk people and a tech who couldn't leave because they need the insurance.

HR has the ignoble goal of pretending to look out for the employees interests while actually looking out for the company's, and desperately hoping no one notices.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Defenestration posted:

When I left I got my PTO paid out at like 30% :rolleyes:

thanks guys.

When my father retired, he got paid out 50% for his unused sick time.

Except his sick time never expired, he rarely used it, and he worked for the company well over 30 years. He had about six months of sick time saved up. Easy three month paycheck.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Another thing about HR is that (at smaller companies atleast) it's usually someone's friend or relative who was hired who then proceeded to hire another friend or relative.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Pleads posted:

Shouldn't they be paying out all of that?
Yeah I live in Michigan. So no.

I'm more and more tempted every day to just call in sick for the next two weeks. But I legitimately like the people I work with and I don't want to leave on a sour note.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Inconveniencing people due to the company's own lovely policies = sour note
Throwing away money from time owed = totally OK

Corporations are winning the war, y'all.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Pleads posted:

Inconveniencing people due to the company's own lovely policies = sour note
Throwing away money from time owed = totally OK

Corporations are winning the war, y'all.
:suicide:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

They (rightfully) assume you are more concerned about treating others as human beings than they are. It's super lovely. :(

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Pleads posted:

They (rightfully) assume you are more concerned about treating others as human beings than they are. It's super lovely. :(

Ain't that the truth.

I just found out that my boss's boss want to provide a group of us who went to training over the weekend a single day of comp time. Thankfully my boss isn't an rear end in a top hat and told us to take 3 off the books.

I don't understand the mindset that somehow working people 12 straight days in exchange for 1 is a decent trade.

What a fucker.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The salaried and hourly people in my office get offered 2 hour PTO coupons as part of random internal contests. My part of the office is all commisioned, so we don't get it anyways, but what would make someone think that was a reasonable thing to offer employees as an incentive?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

crazypeltast52 posted:

The salaried and hourly people in my office get offered 2 hour PTO coupons as part of random internal contests. My part of the office is all commisioned, so we don't get it anyways, but what would make someone think that was a reasonable thing to offer employees as an incentive?

We had something similar, where if you were awarded 'Kudos' you'd get into a drawing for 4 hours PTO (usually about 3 winners each month). I was a contract employee, so despite getting Kudos, I was not eligible for the drawing.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Am I the only manager that tells his colleagues to go home early when they're done early, doesn't give a poo poo about them taking hours here and there for appointments, and does 1 for 1 comp time off the books? It's how my manager has treated me for the past seven years, and it's a large part of why I still work where I work.

On the other hand, there are times when I ask people to work late to hit a deliverable, and if you aren't performing, I reserve the right to yank any and all of these perks away, but I figure building a bit of goodwill has no opportunity cost and can only be a good thing.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Tim Thomas posted:

Am I the only manager that tells his colleagues to go home early when they're done early, doesn't give a poo poo about them taking hours here and there for appointments, and does 1 for 1 comp time off the books? It's how my manager has treated me for the past seven years, and it's a large part of why I still work where I work.

On the other hand, there are times when I ask people to work late to hit a deliverable, and if you aren't performing, I reserve the right to yank any and all of these perks away, but I figure building a bit of goodwill has no opportunity cost and can only be a good thing.

This is basically how it runs in the department where I work, although other departments work differently. As long as we get our poo poo done, no one's keeping track of our every move.

Unrelated edit: I just did a course for my grad work on gender and negotiation. The posters here have always had helpful career guidance tips for those in need. This focuses more on the gender stereotypes that affect women's success in negotiation (and willingness to negotiate) and I think I could get some good feedback from you all. I don't want to just post it because it has my name and email and stuff, but if anyone wants to see it, PM me. It's not a super long course, it would probably be 15 minutes?

Also accepting feedback from those who have complained about lovely e-learning in the past on whether this makes you want to shoot yourself in the face.

defectivemonkey fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 23, 2014

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Tim Thomas posted:

Nope, I always did the same thing. As long as people are getting their poo poo done, I don't mind if somebody takes an hour here or there or whatever.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Today I was going to quit my job. I went to have a meeting with my director and before I could get to the quitting part, she told me that the manager of QA was raving about my detail-oriented approach and tight focus on their project and she told me that some time in the vague future, I might be able to have a position in which I can spend some time helping them on a more regular basis. I asked how soon and she said she didn't know. Well, I don't know what I expected, I understand that she can't make things happen instantly. I have to admit that with an authority figure actually saying she was willing to create a new role for me I felt too overwhelmed to follow though with my original plan, so I just bullshitted some thanks and went back to my crushing unpleasant work.

Of course, like all the other days of work, I did an 8-7 today. My boyfriend and parents were contacting me at dinner time eager to hear how it went when I quit my job (I told them I would hand in my 2 weeks notice today).

Tomorrow. Tomorrow I'm going to quit my job.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
No tangible offer? Stick to the plan and quit.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Swink posted:

No tangible offer? Stick to the plan and quit.

I second this. Chances are your director has a good idea you're unhappy and threw you just enough of a carrot to stop you from jumping ship right away. If I was you, I'd be doing some serious job searching right about now, and leave as soon as possible. Polish up your resume, head on over to askamanager.org for some great job hunting tips and don't look back.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Tim Thomas posted:

I'm all about this, I think it's a big part of why my department performs as well as it does. When it's grant season and we've got 4 grants due on the 15th, one huge grant due the 20th, and a super huge one due the 31st, everyone knows it's going to be busy and they'll probably be doing some OT, but if you don't balance that with the stuff you mentioned above, everyone will hate you and their job.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

modeski posted:

I second this. Chances are your director has a good idea you're unhappy and threw you just enough of a carrot to stop you from jumping ship right away. If I was you, I'd be doing some serious job searching right about now, and leave as soon as possible. Polish up your resume, head on over to askamanager.org for some great job hunting tips and don't look back.

This. My manager has been stringing along a promotion for over a year. Every month, something comes up where he can't get to it (read: put in the paperwork). It will never happen.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

High_Life posted:

I feel right at home in this thread yet never posted. I probably have a few gems for you guys. What happened today....

Quick backstory: I work for a multibillion dollar family owned company as a product manager. I make a good living, but my wife makes twice mine and we don't have debt.

I don't have to work, but like to. I got fed up with poo poo so I walked in one Monday, gave two weeks, and went home. My demands were the owners parking spot and a corner office. I didn't get those, but Next day I got a 30k raise. Now the game is how far can I go...

I honestly don't give a poo poo and it's kind of fun. Boss asked me how I felt with early morning China calls once a week, and I asked him how he'd feel about a punch in the balls and gently caress no.

Last week president of sales made a lovely comment about something, and I just responded with "or I can just go home now and you can figure it out ".

I am a nightmare employee, but at least I'm having fun with it. They are sending me to a free four seasons vacation for my performance. Might be quitting time again when I get back to see if I can hit six figs. FYI- there is zero hyperbole in anything above.

Basically while you may think you are living the office space dream, someone in management is well aware they have been screwing you for pay and things and you have found out. You are to important to the company to fire so they are letting you do what you want.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

sbaldrick posted:

Basically while you may think you are living the office space dream, someone in management is well aware they have been screwing you for pay and things and you have found out. You are to important to the company to fire so they are letting you do what you want.

There's no such thing as irreplaceable. You'll get the boot the day the new guy starts.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I know for a fact that I started off underpaid at my company. That's really the only thing that can explain multiple 15-20% raises over the past year to "catch me up" as well as RSUs and maximum bonuses. Either that or I'm performing way above my expectations. I've finally "caught up" to my coworkers in terms of pay (but not necessarily experience). We'll see where this takes me in the next 6-9 months. If not, I'll probably begin seriously searching for a company.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

gently caress annual reviews right in the loving rear end in a top hat.

I go in for mine yesterday. Manager tells me right away I'm a good-solid performer (dead center on the 5x5 matrix). We start going through my objectives, and he notes where I put myself a 4 while he scored me a 3. Reason: just because I manage SIX products while everyone else manages one, and my collective revenue is over $15B, AND I grew the entire portfolio, AND took on more than was assigned, AND did things without prompting to increase share, because I'm a product manager, I cannot score higher than a 3, which is "meets expectations." Apparently if you're a product manager, anything you do that can be considered product management simply means doing your job. It is impossible to get above a 3. F that noise.

Then we go to my key success factors. One of them I have a 4, he gives me a 3. Reason: He gave away another 4 to someone else and can't give me a 4 as well, because you can't have two people score a 4 in a management team. WHAT?!?!?!

Another KSF, same thing. His reason: he screwed up his own objectives, which led to him assigning more work to me than others, which impacted his score. Because his score was low, mine had to be low as well.

Not a SINGLE comment on my performance review had anything to do with my own performance. It was either related to number shenanigans, his errors on his own review, or BS. I cursed at him and walked out, refusing to sign it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Xibanya posted:

Today I was going to quit my job. I went to have a meeting with my director and before I could get to the quitting part, she told me that the manager of QA was raving about my detail-oriented approach and tight focus on their project and she told me that some time in the vague future, I might be able to have a position in which I can spend some time helping them on a more regular basis. I asked how soon and she said she didn't know. Well, I don't know what I expected, I understand that she can't make things happen instantly. I have to admit that with an authority figure actually saying she was willing to create a new role for me I felt too overwhelmed to follow though with my original plan, so I just bullshitted some thanks and went back to my crushing unpleasant work.

Of course, like all the other days of work, I did an 8-7 today. My boyfriend and parents were contacting me at dinner time eager to hear how it went when I quit my job (I told them I would hand in my 2 weeks notice today).

Tomorrow. Tomorrow I'm going to quit my job.

Ask politely if you can meet with the manager that gave you the positive reviews to try to talk about working with them more often, or if any positions are actually open. This gives you both the ammo to move forward and get a timeline, or if your own boss was bullshitting you about that, will allow you to quit or give notice without feeling guilty about it. Just be sure to have another job lined up before leaving, or at least have enough money set aside that you won't need to worry about time off between jobs.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Omne posted:

gently caress annual reviews right in the loving rear end in a top hat.

So I take it this is your first annual review ever? :shobon:

Seriously, though, all those dumb rules are just so your company can justify giving out as little money as possible in the form of raises or bonuses. It's a common practice at a lot of big companies, and it comes from a lot higher up than your boss, so cursing at him isn't going to change anything (other than making your career there much shorter or much more miserable if you manage to make him dislike you). Don't take it personally, just chalk it up to lovely management practices at the top and get on with your work (or your job hunting, if "bullshit performance reviews" is a big enough con to finally tip the balance in favor of "gently caress this job"... :yotj: )

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

dennyk posted:

Seriously, though, all those dumb rules are just so your company can justify giving out as little money as possible in the form of raises or bonuses.

I was .04 points away from my target goal on my review (which is out of 5 points, includes ratings averaged from a few different people), so I lose out on 25% of my bonus...

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Xandu posted:

I was .04 points away from my target goal on my review (which is out of 5 points, includes ratings averaged from a few different people), so I lose out on 25% of my bonus...

drat, what a totally random and unpredictable and not at all manipulated score! Shucks, if only you'd put in those extra hours...

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
This always seems a lot like candidates in districts gerrymandered by the other party thinking "darn, I was so close". It's already set up, you can just do your best and hope to not fall too hard.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
In my last company the budgets for the next year were finalized in Dec/Jan, but performance review season didn't end until April,where your performance determined your individual bonus/raise.

Yep, totally not a pre determined schema at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

quote:

This is the story of my life at my job. Don't fall for it. It will never happen unless you make it happen. You will have to keep on her about it, and if it's possible, talk to the manager of QA and maybe even someone higher up if you can so that her promises are known to other people and she is held accountable.

I'm currently making a transition from working in only one department to working part time in my original dept. and part time in another. My boss is the queen of vague, unfulfilled promises. She won't ever say no to anyone and she'll rarely give a clear yes either, so it's almost impossible to tell whether you are getting a yes or a no if you ask for something (I've learned it's almost always a no, expressed like a "probably" or "maybe").

In order to make my transition happen in the first place, I had to go to the other manager first so that my boss couldn't be like "Oh sure, I'll talk to her about that sometime" and then just blow it off. Then she said I couldn't transition until a new person had been hired. Then they fired someone else, so now I can't transition until two people are hired. The hiring was supposed to be done by now, then it was supposed to be done by beginning of July, now it's supposed to be done by mid-July. The only reason I even know this is because I have been emailing her about it every week to make sure it doesn't fall off her radar somehow.

One thing you might want to do is tell her straight out that you are on the verge of quitting and say whatever you were originally going to say. But, also tell her that this new position sounds right up your alley and it would really revitalize your interest in the job. Ask for a meeting with her and the QA manager to set it up and tell her you are only interested in remaining at the job if you can do that. If you were prepared to quit anyway, there's nothing to lose. This is of course, if all of the above is actually true. If the only reason you didn't quit is because it didn't feel right after your director said that to you, and having the new position wouldn't really make it better then you should definitely quit tomorrow.