Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im pretty sure this card was spoiled a while ago but this card...

quote:

Inferno Fist 1R
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature you control.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+0.
R, Sacrifice Inferno Fist: Inferno Fist deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

...is unironically my favorite spoiled card so far. The idea of a rocket fist card is hilarious.

That or Goblin Kaboomist because that is an incredibly named card. I'm disappointed that it has a coin flip mechanic that kills itself because it would have been really good otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Bread Set Jettison posted:

...is unironically my favorite spoiled card so far. The idea of a rocket fist card is hilarious.

That or Goblin Kaboomist because that is an incredibly named card. I'm disappointed that it has a coin flip mechanic that kills itself because it would have been really good otherwise.

It's still a 1/2 for 2 that will kill master of waves if it survives to your next upkeep. Seems good to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This has to be one of the more inelegant things R&D has come up with.

Without sleeves, you have to use these things. With non-clear sleeves, you need to yank the card out. Effectively defeating the simplicity of the original idea. (I'm guessing they forewent Kamigawa style flip cards because of space constraints?)

Pity I missed out on Innistrad. It looks like a really cool set.

Regarding sleeves, any advice on bulk buying cheap ones for "dicking around" decks/cards? I wouldn't even mind used ones - again not for a proper/expensive deck.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Without sleeves, you have to use these things. With non-clear sleeves, you need to yank the card out. Effectively defeating the simplicity of the original idea. (I'm guessing they forewent Kamigawa style flip cards because of space constraints?)

I don't think having a sleeved checklist card in your deck, then replacing it with the actual card (in a clear sleeve for example) from your deckbox once you actually play the card, was that cumbersome.

Personally I just sleeved the cards as it is in my limited playing and took it out to transform if necessary. Didn't really bother me too much. Quite happy they didn't try to do the mechanic with something like flip cards from Kamigawa, those are way too constrained.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Kamigawa flip cards can only have like four lines of text in either box and that meant they couldn't use the werewolf mechanic because then they would only be able to make them vanilla creatures. Plus split art is really drat ugly and confusing and it's hard to tell which side is 'up' when the card is tapped and it was a bad idea all in all.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Potomac Distribution -> Get 800 KMCs or 1000 Dragon Shields (depending on your personal preference) for about 7c/sleeve. There might be a local place that sells them for similar prices (and if so, buy there and support local businesses), but most game shops have a fairly hefty markup on this sort of thing.

If you're not playing hugely often (and not going to any tournaments) then you might be able to get away with Ultra Pros (4c/sleeve). This only works if you're fine playing with "marked" sleeves due to bent corners though - if you have to replace a sleeve every time it gets a little bent this quickly becomes more expensive than just getting quality things the first time. They're totally fine for just casual play where you can ignore that, you can replace the occasional split sleeve and it still works out cheaper.

You can also get "penny sleeves" (for about 1c/sleeve, hence the name) from most game shops, but they literally start falling apart after about a day. The only real reason to buy them is if you showed up for a draft or whatever and forgot to bring sleeves, and didn't want to bang up your new cards. If you're playing with the cards more than once, you'd end up spending way more replacing sleeves whenever they split than if you'd just bought proper sleeves in the first place. They're okay if you just want to have some extra protection for expensive cards in a trade binder or whatever (instead of rubbing them against the plastic whenever anyone wants to bring it out and take a look).

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

July 16th?

Give me a million Phantom points and 8 of every card on MTGO, and I would still like Worth Wolpert to be fired before I touch the V4 client.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Good grief that's in less than three weeks.

Would anyone like to buy the contents of an MTGO collection?

Edit: Actually, does anyone have experience selling out of MTGO? Is it better to convert everything to tickets through the classifieds and sell those, or just take the whole thing to a vendor that pays out in cash or paper credit? I'm trying to figure out the math of which will get the best return.

Edit 2: Also, is this the first time they've announced that they will not be supporting Windows XP? That seems like a pretty big deal.

PhyrexianLibrarian fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 26, 2014

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, it seems a stretch to expect third party applications to still run on it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jabor posted:

Potomac Distribution -> Get 800 KMCs or 1000 Dragon Shields (depending on your personal preference) for about 7c/sleeve. There might be a local place that sells them for similar prices (and if so, buy there and support local businesses), but most game shops have a fairly hefty markup on this sort of thing.

If you're not playing hugely often (and not going to any tournaments) then you might be able to get away with Ultra Pros (4c/sleeve). This only works if you're fine playing with "marked" sleeves due to bent corners though - if you have to replace a sleeve every time it gets a little bent this quickly becomes more expensive than just getting quality things the first time. They're totally fine for just casual play where you can ignore that, you can replace the occasional split sleeve and it still works out cheaper.

You can also get "penny sleeves" (for about 1c/sleeve, hence the name) from most game shops, but they literally start falling apart after about a day. The only real reason to buy them is if you showed up for a draft or whatever and forgot to bring sleeves, and didn't want to bang up your new cards. If you're playing with the cards more than once, you'd end up spending way more replacing sleeves whenever they split than if you'd just bought proper sleeves in the first place. They're okay if you just want to have some extra protection for expensive cards in a trade binder or whatever (instead of rubbing them against the plastic whenever anyone wants to bring it out and take a look).

I've only ever played casually, and these would be for the casualest of casual circumstances (impromptu deckmaking out of a big box of cards).

That's a bit more than I was thinking to spend atm because I was aiming for something lower quality, but there are some especially good prices in the sales section.

Does Ultra Pro have different grades of sleeves, because the (second hand) ones I had in Europe a decade ago were much sturdier than what I bought a week ago at my local card shop? I know those were Ultra Pros because I still have a few Pokemon cards in them (unlike my old MTG cards), and they have the Ultra Pro foil mark.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Rinkles posted:

I've only ever played casually, and these would be for the casualest of casual circumstances (impromptu deckmaking out of a big box of cards).

That's a bit more than I was thinking to spend atm because I was aiming for something lower quality, but there are some especially good prices in the sales section.

Does Ultra Pro have different grades of sleeves, because the (second hand) ones I had in Europe a decade ago were much sturdier than what I bought a week ago at my local card shop? I know those were Ultra Pros because I still have a few Pokemon cards in them (unlike my old MTG cards), and they have the Ultra Pro foil mark.

Ultra pro's from a decade ago were more or less as good as dragon shields today. Modern ultra-pro's just stink.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

How many sleeves do you need? I have a couple hundred used KMC Mattes (black) that I can send you for pretty cheap if you don't need more sleeves than that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Sweet, Phyrexian Revoker reprint confirmed. There's our Pithing Needle replacement, I guess.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ScarletBrother posted:

How many sleeves do you need? I have a couple hundred used KMC Mattes (black) that I can send you for pretty cheap if you don't need more sleeves than that.

I don't think I would be able to arrange a transaction atm, but thanks for offering.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I don't think I would be able to arrange a transaction atm, but thanks for offering.

They're not going anywhere and I'd also trade for some number of various shocklands. LMK.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ScarletBrother posted:

They're not going anywhere and I'd also trade for some number of various shocklands. LMK.

Hehe, as if I have any. I did have a handful of the Onslaught fetch rares long time ago, though. Actually, now that I think about it, I probably got severely ripped off wtih a Wooded Foothills trade. I got ripped off a bunch when I got into Magic.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think I regretted getting pressured into trading this guy the most.

I didn't have a deck to take advantage of it, but it's such a cool card. And he was on the booster pack!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

That's really good. A 5/4 flying vigilance for 5. Mono white devotion anyone?

The trouble with White Devotion is that none of the cards that check your devotion to white are that great. Heliod is OK I guess, but what else have you got? Evangel of Heliod? I'd rather just run Elspeth. Acolyte's Reward? A combat trick isn't really worth building your deck around. There's really no white equivalent to Gray Merchant or Fanatic of Mogis or Master of Waves or even Nylea's Disciple. I guess if the pieces were all there you could make a mono-white goodstuff deck that incidentally was able to ramp up with Nykthos.

Or maybe there's an Iroas deck there somewhere, I dunno.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

The trouble with White Devotion is that none of the cards that check your devotion to white are that great. Heliod is OK I guess, but what else have you got? Evangel of Heliod? I'd rather just run Elspeth. Acolyte's Reward? A combat trick isn't really worth building your deck around. There's really no white equivalent to Gray Merchant or Fanatic of Mogis or Master of Waves or even Nylea's Disciple. I guess if the pieces were all there you could make a mono-white goodstuff deck that incidentally was able to ramp up with Nykthos.

Or maybe there's an Iroas deck there somewhere, I dunno.

Well the best thing you can do with white devotion is to make lots of Heliod tokens right now which isn't all that exciting. I agree.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

This has to be one of the more inelegant things R&D has come up with.

Pity I missed out on Innistrad. It looks like a really cool set.

Regarding sleeves, any advice on bulk buying cheap ones for "dicking around" decks/cards? I wouldn't even mind used ones - again not for a proper/expensive deck.

Kamigawa flip cards are awful for a million reasons. The way the artbox has to be laid out is awful, you can't fit much text on them, it's hard to tell at a glance which side they're on, especially when they're tapped... They're just a mess.

I was really down on double-faced cards when they were first spoiled but after actually playing with them, they're fine. Just use the checklist card and put the actual card on top in a clear sleeve when you cast it. They just look so much better than flip cards, it's worth it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Kamigawa flip cards are awful for a million reasons. The way the artbox has to be laid out is awful, you can't fit much text on them, it's hard to tell at a glance which side they're on, especially when they're tapped... They're just a mess.

I was really down on double-faced cards when they were first spoiled but after actually playing with them, they're fine. Just use the checklist card and put the actual card on top in a clear sleeve when you cast it. They just look so much better than flip cards, it's worth it.

Now that they have machine readable cards they can just put the two corresponding cards in one pack.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I always pre-emptively lower my expectations when there's a goblin card with a cool name, because they always have to be awful in some stupid random coinflippy way. See also Goblin Bangchuckers, Goblin Test Pilot...

And it's a given that at least one red rare/mythic per set is going to be a complete write-off for the same reason.

Not even that one guy trying to build a Krark's Thumb deck wants most of these.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Okay, so I happened to come across an Eternal Bargain deck and a Mind Seize deck at Target yesterday. The top of the deck cartons had a small cut from the vendor opening the box with a knife (it got me 20% off). Do you think this will impact the value of this if I decide to hold onto it sealed? If so I am going to open it and strip it down for sale.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So now we've seen all the Souls I'll say that I could see most of them seeing play.

- New Phyrexia will see the most play for being colorless with Trample and an OK ability.
- Zendikar and Shandalar will probably see the next most play for their abilities being actually decent.
- Theros could either see more or less play than Zendikar/Shandalar I'm still not sure where it falls on this scale but it's ability is pretty solid and can back up token armies quite well. On it's own it's an 8/8 Vigilant, Lifelinking, First Striker every turn.
- Innistrad will see minimal play because Wizards doesn't seem to like giving out even conditional Reanimator effects all that much and for this cost he should be able to just reanimate something (maybe CMC 3 or less).

And then we have Ravnica. Most expensive ability of the bunch. Rewards you for playing more colors but hampers that a bit with UU cost. Drawing 5 for 7 mana isn't too bad but drawing anything less for that is just terrible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I can't think of a more corner case situation than having 5 colors worth of peppermints on the board. NTM it's useless on an empty board.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why will Ravnica see no play when it has probably the best keyword out of all of them (flying is much, much better than trample), and an ability that is instant speed card draw?

I mean, aside from Elspeth being just better.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

So this is a thing.

Phyrexian Revoker in M15.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why will Ravnica see no play when it has probably the best keyword out of all of them (flying is much, much better than trample), and an ability that is instant speed card draw?

I mean, aside from Elspeth being just better.

Prognostic Sphinx is better too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Soul of Ravnica seems really bad. If your Mahamoti Djinn is sticking around long enough for you to keep spending huge chunks of mana to draw 1-3 cards at a time, you were probably winning the game anyway. There's just so many more immediately impactful things you can do at 6 mana. Even with 3 less power, Prognostic Sphinx just seems so much better.

It even gets immediately worse on rotation, assuming not-mongolia isn't a gold block.

Feel free to quote me in six months when SoR is the go-too control finisher, but I just don't see it. If you want to draw cards, Jace's Ingenuity is being reprinted, which draws you a guaranteed 3 cards at instant speed for 5 mana, compared to this thing which draws you probably 1-3 cards for 7 mana assuming you can cast a 6 drop and then untap with it.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 26, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I seriously wonder if we'll ever see DFC's again, since machine readable frames mean you could guarantee both "sides" as separate cards in a booster now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

jscolon2.0 posted:

I seriously wonder if we'll ever see DFC's again, since machine readable frames mean you could guarantee both "sides" as separate cards in a booster now.

That doesn't really seem better. It's less flavorful and means you still have to carry extra cards around, and it's easier to misplace one half and be screwed.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Cernunnos posted:

So now we've seen all the Souls I'll say that I could see most of them seeing play.

- New Phyrexia will see the most play for being colorless with Trample and an OK ability.
- Zendikar and Shandalar will probably see the next most play for their abilities being actually decent.
- Theros could either see more or less play than Zendikar/Shandalar I'm still not sure where it falls on this scale but it's ability is pretty solid and can back up token armies quite well. On it's own it's an 8/8 Vigilant, Lifelinking, First Striker every turn.
- Innistrad will see minimal play because Wizards doesn't seem to like giving out even conditional Reanimator effects all that much and for this cost he should be able to just reanimate something (maybe CMC 3 or less).

And then we have Ravnica. Most expensive ability of the bunch. Rewards you for playing more colors but hampers that a bit with UU cost. Drawing 5 for 7 mana isn't too bad but drawing anything less for that is just terrible.

I agree with Zend/Shand being pretty obviously good, especially for Ramp strategies, and just being general value in the long game when sitting in the graveyard.

Soul of Ravnica might see play in some crazy 4-5 color mill reanimator. It's definitely the one I'm most skeptical about but drawing cards is always good. It has to be really control oriented. PERHAPS SOLAR FLARE IS BACK? :smugwizard: still skeptical

Soul of Theros will see play if Monowhite/heavy-white token devotion exists.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We're still waiting on the Red Legendary Rare creature, right?

Ooh. I somehow missed that they did a new uncommon Flinthoof Boar cycle, going in the opposite direction this time. The white and green ones seem the best.

I mean this guy might actually be Standard playable. If there's a green-white aggro deck in the next year, he's in it for sure.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

We're still waiting on the Red Legendary Rare creature, right?

Ooh. I somehow missed that they did a new uncommon Flinthoof Boar cycle, going in the opposite direction this time. The white and green ones seem the best.

I mean this guy might actually be Standard playable. If there's a green-white aggro deck in the next year, he's in it for sure.

Not with shocks rotating out...

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
I love how most of the people in my LGS don't like how Standard looks so far, some might take a break if NotMongolia is a bad block. I actually might play some Standard on MODO if NotMongolia looks good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So how did they ever get a Hornet Queen reprint past Maro?

mcmagic posted:

Eh, it just needs a plains on turn 2, that's not so hard. Especially when we're guaranteed to get fetches back for sure this time!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Red legendary rare is Soul of Shandalar unless you're asking about a different one?

mcmagic posted:

Incorrect. Any many fixing will make this dude baller.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Looks like a Tamed Nacatl to me :v:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

neetengie posted:

I love how most of the people in my LGS don't like how Standard looks so far, some might take a break if NotMongolia is a bad block. I actually might play some Standard on MODO if NotMongolia looks good.

I don't know...I am looking at these cards and thinking I may play MORE Standard. I had my fun with Murdergoats, but a lot of the upcoming M15 is making me want to play Standard for once.

VVVVV That link has the 5 PW, but everything promo-wise is showing Garruk...has there been any confirmation or anything that he WILL be a PW in M15?

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Red legendary rare is Soul of Shandalar unless you're asking about a different one?

That's the legendary mythic! there's also a cycle of legendary rare creatures. White gets a new version of Avacyn, black gets Ob Nix, and blue and green have had legendary rare creatures spoiled too. http://mythicspoiler.com/ second row.

• Locked thread