Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Anyone taking bets on their only prototype being immediately crashed at the first demo location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
I'd bet they have more than one, especially if they are going to let "journalists" ride it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

epalm posted:

Anyone taking bets on their only prototype being immediately crashed at the first demo location?

It was developing some unusual voltage transients so I had to lay'er down

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me
I would absolutely buy one, if I could afford it. The bike actually looks great. I think the mirrors/signals are a little out of place, but they could be cleaned up.

I'm really loving the shitstorm from Trun Patriots in all the normal channels.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't understand why wouldn't they make a cruiser as their first electric bike.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The V-Rod was their first water-cooled, and I wouldn't really call it a cruiser. This bike is basically to test the waters and see what people think of the electric bike, and then maybe they'll build a cruiser around it.

That and you can't really do much "cruising" in the range of the battery.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I like everything but the blinker mirrors and the sound they made it make.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I like everything but the blinker mirrors and the sound they made it make.

I am not sure they "made it" make that sound. That is just what a high output electric motor sounds like, and it might be more exciting to me than all the potato in the world.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ReverendCode posted:

I am not sure they "made it" make that sound. That is just what a high output electric motor sounds like, and it might be more exciting to me than all the potato in the world.

There is some kind of noise maker in there. The Zero is drat near silent, this thing sounds like a silly tiny jet engine.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

There is some kind of noise maker in there. The Zero is drat near silent, this thing sounds like a silly tiny jet engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoQ7NS209xM

That's not silent.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Just some local boys out for a ride.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgjg0_Js-bQ

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me

Come to Philadelphia, it's basically that but with poor kids from the ghetto and stolen, unregistered dirtbikes all goddamn summer long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dXZbbdV5Xw

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgjg0_Js-bQ&t=43s
that's some pretty sick poo poo right there.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

anyone who shatters their taillight doing a wheelie is alright in my book

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

had to lay'er... up :pwn:

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Is this the thread where I confess that I rode my friends Sportster 48 this weekend and kinda liked it?

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

BlackLaser posted:

Is this the thread where I confess that I rode my friends Sportster 48 this weekend and kinda liked it?

Yessss...Welcome to the dark side.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

BlackLaser posted:

If there's one thing CA hates, it's people having fun on motorcycles.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

If there's one thing CA hates, it's people having fun on motorcycles.

It's a pretty awful handling motorcycle with barely any lean angle before the pegs hit. The tank has a range of about 80 miles. I still enjoyed it for what it is and would totally own one if the price was right. Unfortunately the price not right. Holy poo poo these hold their value.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah don't look at XR1200 prices, it might give you a heart attack.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

BlackLaser posted:

It's a pretty awful handling motorcycle with barely any lean angle before the pegs hit. The tank has a range of about 80 miles. I still enjoyed it for what it is and would totally own one if the price was right. Unfortunately the price not right. Holy poo poo these hold their value.

Depending on how old of a bike you're willing to look at you can pick up a pretty good deal on one, I pretty regularly see Sportsters in the $4500 range, usually '01 - '05 or so. Although unless you're a wrenchhead and have a strong streak of masochism I'd stay away from anything pre-evo (before 1984).

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Outside Dawg posted:

Depending on how old of a bike you're willing to look at you can pick up a pretty good deal on one, I pretty regularly see Sportsters in the $4500 range, usually '01 - '05 or so. Although unless you're a wrenchhead and have a strong streak of masochism I'd stay away from anything pre-evo (before 1984).

Ironheads are really pretty reliable. They just leak a little (a lot).

I have an '83 that I ride daily.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

angryhampster posted:

Ironheads are really pretty reliable. They just leak a little (a lot).

I have an '83 that I ride daily.

Our previous Harley, '77 Sportster.

A fun little ride, but a serious attention whore.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Outside Dawg posted:

The problem with this logic is if you either a) see what a non-Harley cruiser of similar age and condition goes for, or b) see how much non-Harley bike you can get in said $4500 range. There are reasons to buy a Harley but unless you're buying to flip, "a pretty good deal" is essentially never one.

I personally wouldn't go further down the depreciation curve than '04, considering that those bikes are 10+ years old at this point, and an argument could be made that you're better off sticking with '07+ to get the FI. If you can't afford those bounds you're better off going metric than going older.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Snowdens Secret posted:

you're better off going metric than going older.

What do you mean by this?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

epalm posted:

What do you mean by this?

he thinks this is the rest of ca

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Snowdens Secret posted:

The problem with this logic is if you either a) see what a non-Harley cruiser of similar age and condition goes for, or b) see how much non-Harley bike you can get in said $4500 range. There are reasons to buy a Harley but unless you're buying to flip, "a pretty good deal" is essentially never one.

I personally wouldn't go further down the depreciation curve than '04, considering that those bikes are 10+ years old at this point, and an argument could be made that you're better off sticking with '07+ to get the FI. If you can't afford those bounds you're better off going metric than going older.

Frankly, if you're talking about holding value Harley's regularly hold their value better than the metrics. Where Sporty's tend to flatten out depreciation wise is at that 4000-4500 point, unless you're talking basket-cases. When they get beyond 10 years old, most metrics have hit the problem point of parts availability, not to mention the metric is at a point where you need to ask yourself if it's worth the headache financially or frustration wise. Harleys don't suffer from a lack of aftermarket.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

OMGVBFLOL posted:

he thinks this is the rest of ca

Basically

The '03 and older are just not as nice as the newer, and you're looking at at least an 11 year old bike at that point, possibly older. Sportsters in particular are unlikely to have been maintained by their nth owner by that age. Metrics hit the bottom of the depreciation curve lower and sooner, and represent much better value if you have to have a cruiser. If you really dig the bone-thin look of some of the older peanuttier Sportsters, you save so much on a metric that you can customize them to look the same, but better, have a no-poo poo custom based on a much newer base and still probably have more money in your pocket. And if you really think a 15 year old H-D is easier to get parts for anymore than an 8 year old Honda, you clearly haven't tried to get parts for one or both lately.

If you're thinking "well, I can get out of it most of what I put in" you're better off a) saving your money and not buying a bike, or b) buying a few-years-old DRZ or something that's holding value a lot better than old-rear end Sportsters and will require far less effort to get/keep running.

Basically the only reason to look at a <03 Sportster is if you're infected with Hafta Have A Hawg syndrome, and frankly all the motivations of H3S (don't want your HOG buddies to mock you, want to look like a guy in a movie on a hawg etc etc) are better served for the money by going for an even older Dyna platform bike. Leave the old-rear end Sportsters to the hipsters that are now destroying them because Honda CB prices have just gotten unpalatable.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Eh, an Evo sporty is pretty much an Evo sporty. I don't think the EFI on these lends much practical value, seeing as the single carburetor arrangement is bulletproof and easy to maintain (drain your bowl!). The EFI is there pretty much because the EPA says it has to be. I don't even buy - having ridden a few of both - that the solid mount models are appreciably harsher than the rubbermounts.

An older sporty is a fine buy assuming you use the same sort of discretion as you would any other used bike. I think miles or age vs reliability is pretty much a crapshoot anyway as long as it's kept running. I have 3x the miles on my Uly as I had on my Vstar (which I bought new and maintained obsessively) when the gearbox fell apart, and the Uly has been more dependable and cheaper to run.

The problem with Dynas is that they hold their value even better than sportys. People hold onto their Evo big twins.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

well uh *snerk* uh as you can uh clearly see from the data, researth indicath that the methric systhem ith clearly the uh *pushes glasses up* the thuperior opthion when purthathing a motorithed cycle

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So I've been looking at the new Street bikes that they're rolling out and they actually seem like pretty solid bikes. That 750cc Revo on a street bike design looks appealing especially. 44 foot lbs of torque on a ~500 lb motorcycle sounds exactly like my kind of thing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ArbitraryTA posted:

So I've been looking at the new Street bikes that they're rolling out and they actually seem like pretty solid bikes. That 750cc Revo on a street bike design looks appealing especially. 44 foot lbs of torque on a ~500 lb motorcycle sounds exactly like my kind of thing.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Harley Thread: 44 Ft-lbs Of Torque On a 500lb Motorcycle Sounds Like My Kind Of Thing

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Sorry for being a dick posting this in the Harley thread when I have nothing useful ever to contribute to the Harley thread, but when was the last time HD made a bike as light as 500lb? Wouldn't that have been like the 50s/60s 750s?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I bet the Topper was p. light.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Sorry for being a dick posting this in the Harley thread when I have nothing useful ever to contribute to the Harley thread, but when was the last time HD made a bike as light as 500lb? Wouldn't that have been like the 50s/60s 750s?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MT350E

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

2001:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/h-d/harley_davidson_vr_1000.htm
unless you mean something people could buy, in which case I bet a lot of Sportsters until the '80s at least tip the scales at under a quarter-ton. But barely.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The solid mount sportsters (1986-2003,) weigh 518 pounds, fyi.

With a 1250 kit, cams and head work you can get a reliable and easy 90hp/85tq. A lot more if you want it not too have quite the street manners.

They aren't all extremely heavy and slow...

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

My '83 XLS weighs 520 dry and that's with the big tank and twin discs up front. I'd imagine the peanut-tank bikes of the era were under 500.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
The '77 XLCH we had was 485 lbs dry (peanut tank).
(e): Hell, a 2014 Custom 1200 is just a shade over 550 lbs dry.

Outside Dawg fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I've recently noticed a little more valvetrain noise than normal in my '83 XLS. Heads are stock, and it had a valve job around 5000 miles ago. I pulled the pushrod covers off today and none of the pushrods had excess play. I haven't noticed any new oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets. What else could I check?

I first noticed it after I converted the bike to an alternator, instead of the factory generator. The alternator is considerably quieter. Could it be that the valves have always sounded this way? The bike runs just as good as it always has.

• Locked thread