Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

mcmagic posted:

^^^^^^ This

Well, really the clinic buffer zone starts where the SCOTUS one ends. I assume none of this is a problem at clinics with parking lots.

hobbesmaster posted:

Doesn't look like it.

I still don't completely follow that logic. Don't police frequently move protestors to the other side of the street?

example 1
example 2
example 3

Is the difference just that one was a legislative enactment and the other was at the police's discretion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

I find it hard to agree with that when the decision was unanimous.

Looking at the breakdown of both the recess appointments decision and the buffer clinics decision, they're the liberal justices agreeing to join with a conservative justice striking down the thing before them in exchange for a weaker holding. The unanimity is political. (note: Roberts has used this as a wedge before to make an initial, weak holding then extend it later on to the holding that was avoided by using the initial holding as precedent, so this may not have been wise. That said, I haven't read the decisions yet).

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 26, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Oh look, apparently John Roberts thinks that conversations between anti abortion lunatics and these women are "consensual" and "caring."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The recess appointment case essentially says all recess appointments are valid, except those made while the Senate is still holding pro forma sessions, and that presumptively you can't use a recess shorter than 10 days. It's a slap on the wrist for Obama, but because he got his people through due to the nuclear option it's somewhat of a moot point. It also leaves intact the power of the President to recess appoint any amount of people in the five seconds between congresses.

He also has this power, and I'm not sure why it wasn't used and why I've never heard of it, to adjourn Congress if the two disagree on when to adjourn to that the opinion specifically mentions is available. So assuming that he has one of the chambers on his side, that one can declare a recess, the other can throw a fit, and Obama can declare that there will be a recess...and then start with the appointing.

It really confirms the President's recess appointment power for all but the one situation Obama used it in. And because they joined with Kennedy, not Roberts, it's not likely to be a wedge for future decisions like I suspect the abortion one is.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 26, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

mcmagic posted:

Oh look, apparently John Roberts thinks that conversations between anti abortion lunatics and these women are "consensual" and "caring."
He also thinks they're conversations.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Pictured: a screaming lunatic.

The reason Roberts said that is because whoever brought the case picked the most sympathetic plaintiffs they could find (just like in pretty much any other case).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Pictured: a screaming lunatic.

The reason Roberts said that is because whoever brought the case picked the most sympathetic plaintiffs they could find (just like in pretty much any other case).

And apparently John Roberts isn't smart enough to know that? (Or he does know that and doesn't care because of his ideology.)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mcmagic posted:

And apparently John Roberts isn't smart enough to know that? (Or he does know that and doesn't care because of his ideology.)

He thinks the screaming lunatics are handled under other laws and is irrelevant.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

He thinks the screaming lunatics are handled under other laws and is irrelevant.
It would be so amazing if the end result of this case is that abortion protesters screaming at women get charged with, and convicted of, harassment or assault or whatever.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ravenfood posted:

It would be so amazing if the end result of this case is that abortion protesters screaming at women get charged with, and convicted of, harassment or assault or whatever.
Yeah that's not going to happen.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I guess harassment is possible? Best possible outcome as the court could order the lunatic to stay away from abortion clinics, I suppose.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So when are we going to get Hobby Lobby? If employers are going to be able to push religion on their employees let's just rip this bandaid off already :smithicide:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Paul MaudDib posted:

So when are we going to get Hobby Lobby? If employers are going to be able to push religion on their employees let's just rip this bandaid off already :smithicide:

Monday should be the last day of the term.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

KernelSlanders posted:

Well, really the clinic buffer zone starts where the SCOTUS one ends. I assume none of this is a problem at clinics with parking lots.
The Supreme Court building a private building, or public like other government buildings?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Crows Turn Off posted:

The owners of Hobby Lobby aren't paying for the health insurance out of their own pockets, the corporation Hobby Lobby is paying for it. I held out hope that maybe the Court would say that Hobby Lobby isn't a person and therefore can't exercise a religion, and so it can't have its religious beliefs burdened.

That "makes sense" to me but obviously I don't know a ton about how that actually works.

If you're hoping this court wouldn't consider Hobby Lobby a person with religious beliefs you might want to go stock up on booze now. There's an absolute lock for 4 members considering corporations to have religious beliefs and unless Kennedy decided that actual science trumps a person's stupid and misguided personal opinion, he's going to side with HL because abortion.

mcmagic posted:

The moral of the story is that the court is once again clueless or willfully clueless of the nature of modern day american politics.

The actions of people like Scalia show the opposite to be true. You're severely ignoring the "gently caress your team" mindset.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

The Supreme Court building a private building, or public like other government buildings?

Public, but not open to unrestricted entry. There are quite a few government buildings that are public but not open to the public.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Kalman posted:

Public, but not open to unrestricted entry. There are quite a few government buildings that are public but not open to the public.
Yeah, but I'm not talking about entry, just the outside property. How is it acceptable to have a buffer zone around the SCOTUS building?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, but I'm not talking about entry, just the outside property. How is it acceptable to have a buffer zone around the SCOTUS building?
Because some crazy person might try and blow it up! :downs:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Crows Turn Off posted:

Because they aren't performing abortions in there. Medical ones, anyways.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

Because the plaza is also limited access, being where SCOTUS security operates and where they do the pre-admission screening for people who visit the court.

The sidewalk in front of SCOTUS is open access. The property itself is not.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

The recess appointment case essentially says all recess appointments are valid, except those made while the Senate is still holding pro forma sessions, and that presumptively you can't use a recess shorter than 10 days. It's a slap on the wrist for Obama, but because he got his people through due to the nuclear option it's somewhat of a moot point. It also leaves intact the power of the President to recess appoint any amount of people in the five seconds between congresses.

He also has this power, and I'm not sure why it wasn't used and why I've never heard of it, to adjourn Congress if the two disagree on when to adjourn to that the opinion specifically mentions is available. So assuming that he has one of the chambers on his side, that one can declare a recess, the other can throw a fit, and Obama can declare that there will be a recess...and then start with the appointing.

It really confirms the President's recess appointment power for all but the one situation Obama used it in. And because they joined with Kennedy, not Roberts, it's not likely to be a wedge for future decisions like I suspect the abortion one is.

The presidential adjournment power was discussed fairly frequently in 2010-12 as I recall (I think there were a series of apoplectic posts on firedoglake using it to prove that Obama never wanted to fill those positions anyway), but I suspect not much became of it because no president has ever exercised it before and setting precedent, etc. Still, IMO if Obama really had wanted to play hardball on appointments with control of the Senate and not the House it would be pretty easy to do since Adjournment motions were never subject to the Filibuster.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

amanasleep posted:

The presidential adjournment power was discussed fairly frequently in 2010-12 as I recall (I think there were a series of apoplectic posts on firedoglake using it to prove that Obama never wanted to fill those positions anyway), but I suspect not much became of it because no president has ever exercised it before and setting precedent, etc. Still, IMO if Obama really had wanted to play hardball on appointments with control of the Senate and not the House it would be pretty easy to do since Adjournment motions were never subject to the Filibuster.

The fun part is that lets you play hardball with the House but not the Senate, which is currently still a problem if the Senate is controlled by the opposition and decides not to confirm anyone.

But yeah that makes sense: ignoring the pro forma sessions was probably the better move at the time.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

The fun part is that lets you play hardball with the House but not the Senate, which is currently still a problem if the Senate is controlled by the opposition and decides not to confirm anyone.

At least theoretically he could adjourn them both in the event of a disagreement ("adjourn them"), so it might still work if the House is D and the Senate is R. Not a practical concern in the near future, of course.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Kalman posted:

At least theoretically he could adjourn them both in the event of a disagreement ("adjourn them"), so it might still work if the House is D and the Senate is R. Not a practical concern in the near future, of course.

The way it's worded, makes it sound like if the two chambers disagree, he can adjourn them to a time of his choosing, not necessarily what the House wants or the Senate wants.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If Obama adjourned congress by fiat it would turn the crazy conspiracy dial all the way to like eleventy-one.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Obama adjourned congress by fiat it would turn the crazy conspiracy dial all the way to like eleventy-one.
Doooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

mcmagic posted:

That whole section is full of crap. I've been on the receiving end of such a conversation at the clinic in question. The protesters were screaming directly in our faces and blocking our way long before we reached the buffer zone. It is completely untrue that the protesters didn't still have the ability to engage you. 6 feet was nothing, it should have been 100 feet.

Edit: The real reasons for wanting the buffer zones removed is that they once again have the ability to block the doors. They also can be close enough to identify who is going to the clinic and not just walking down the sidewalk. Not that they wouldn't just scream at anyone on that block, if they thought you were going inside it would set them off and be much worse.

size1one fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 26, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
How the gently caress does getting in someone's face and screaming that they're a murderer and should burn in hell not constitute assault?

Like, I am not a lawyer, so please educate me. My layman's understanding of it is essentially that battery is physical violence and assault is creating the impression that someone is in physical danger, and I don't really get how "YOU DESERVE TO DIE AND BURN IN HELL" screaming in someone's face doesn't give reasonable grounds to believe you're in danger, especially considering the multiple times anti-choice folks have literally murdered pro-choice folks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Because abortion. -CJ Roberts

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sounds like just the thing to do on November 5th then. Hopefully he sends out an email notification so I can stock up on beer and munchies before following that up with the recess appointment of a transsexual Muslim woman to whatever agency has a vacancy. Hopefully Homeland Security or one of the Intelligence agencies.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Magres posted:

How the gently caress does getting in someone's face and screaming that they're a murderer and should burn in hell not constitute assault?

Like, I am not a lawyer so please educate me. My layman's understanding of it is essentially that battery is physical violence and assault is creating the impression that someone is in physical danger.

Same way shooting doctors and firebombing clinics to try and stop a legal practice they want changed isn't terrorism

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Same way shooting doctors and firebombing clinics to try and stop a legal practice they want changed isn't terrorism

So the answer is basically "because our country is loving stupid" then, I take it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magres posted:

But thats Roberts's point, its covered under laws that do not unnecessarily restrict other speech so the overall ban on anyone standing within 30ft of the door is too expansive.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Magres posted:

So the answer is basically "because our country is loving stupid" then, I take it?

It's because they're doing it for the real god.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Magres posted:

The answer is that John Roberts just calls ball and strikes. (Unless you're a dirty whore who wants to kill her baby.)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Sorry, what I'm asking is less about the ruling itself and more on the law in general. I fail to see how the things anti-choice protesters do does not constitute assault, like if there's actually any legal grounds for that or if it's straight up just "no one wants to enforce the law here because then the loving nutjobs are going to start firebombing them too."

As I understand it the Massachusetts law was very, very broad and striking it down is not the most unreasonable thing in the world. Hell of a lot more reasonable than the upcoming Hobby "I'm a corporation that has a religion" Lobby ruling :smith:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Magres posted:

Sorry, what I'm asking is less about the ruling itself and more on the law in general. I fail to see how the things anti-choice protesters do does not constitute assault, like if there's actually any legal grounds for that or if it's straight up just "no one wants to enforce the law because then the loving nutjobs are going to start firebombing them too."

I believe it's more that the nutjobs are thought to be likely to be found not guilty in a jury trial and arresting them all is too much hassle. Plus you'd need to divert police there like 24/7, leaving you open to complaints of not fighting real crime.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Magres posted:

Like, I am not a lawyer, so please educate me. My layman's understanding of it is essentially that battery is physical violence and assault is creating the impression that someone is in physical danger, and I don't really get how "YOU DESERVE TO DIE AND BURN IN HELL" screaming in someone's face doesn't give reasonable grounds to believe you're in danger, especially considering the multiple times anti-choice folks have literally murdered pro-choice folks.
If we can't even outlaw paparazzi, then it's probably gonna require some convincing.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Assault might be a little strong, but certainly they're committing disorderly conduct. Hell, just stepping in someone's way while they walk down the side walk, much less screaming at them is probably sufficient to get a conviction. Is the issue that the Boston Police just don't want to be as aggressive against abortion protesters as the NYPD does for OWS protesters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Gyges posted:

I believe it's more that the nutjobs are thought to be likely to be found not guilty in a jury trial and arresting them all is too much hassle. Plus you'd need to divert police there like 24/7, leaving you open to complaints of not fighting real crime.

If you are actually going to the clinic it's an embarrassing and emotionally difficult thing to go through even without the protesters and you just want it to be over.