Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
How many goons, having nothing better to do, travelled to fight in Syria during the last two days/how many of them are still alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nenonen posted:

How many goons, having nothing better to do, travelled to fight in Syria during the last two days/how many of them are still alive?

I tried, but I just couldn't find a good restaurant in Homs. Then the WiFi service at the hotel was terrible, so I flew on back home.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Nenonen posted:

You should read the Trip Advisor forums for Iraq and Syria and Afghanistan. "Hey why am I having trouble finding flights into Damascus?? Also, do I need a visa?"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

Depends, is "Syria" a euphemism for alcohol poisoning?

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

goatse.cx posted:

I didn't think there was an open rebellion in India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sepoy_Rebellion

While I'm at it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vellore_Mutiny
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1898_Baloch_uprising
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampa_Rebellion_of_1879
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titumir
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santhal_rebellion
Various tribal revolts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribal_revolts_in_India_before_Indian_independence

Hong XiuQuan fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 26, 2014

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Miltank posted:

this time Assad has gone too far.

A red line has been crossed.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

No Assad, you are not allowed to intervene into SomethingAwful! You will regret this :colbert:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Unleash the goons.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

What are the odds that the SEA are actually behind this?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Eagerly awaiting my response from the ICC prosecutors office. Making sure to get this crime against goonanity documented properly.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A Lebanese football fan announces his defection from supporting Italy to Brazil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqJDkUzUxfI

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

A Lebanese football fan announces his defection from supporting Italy to Brazil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqJDkUzUxfI

Yup, that sure is what I expected.
Speaking of Lebanon, the crackdown lately is crazy. Deep down I know ISIS was gonna spread here eventually but something about all this makes me want to blame Hezbollah for attracting them/antagonizing them abroad.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ChaosSamusX posted:

If SEA deleted FYAD and inadvertently took down the rest of the forums, I'd consider it collateral damage.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

suboptimal posted:

If SEA deleted FYAD and inadvertently took down the rest of the forums, I'd consider it collateral damage.

Article 5 of the dickbutt treaty, any attack on a treaty member shall be treated as an attack on them all except E/N

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

HGH posted:

Yup, that sure is what I expected.
Speaking of Lebanon, the crackdown lately is crazy. Deep down I know ISIS was gonna spread here eventually but something about all this makes me want to blame Hezbollah for attracting them/antagonizing them abroad.

When this article talks about "security forces", who do they mean? The Lebanese Army? Hezbollah? Police, (and who controls them)?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Probably ISF, which is Sunni-dominated.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

ChaosSamusX posted:

None.

The truth is probably something much more trite. I guess it could be a multitude of reasons and, if you're imaginative, you could say this was the work of an idiot trying to impress SEA.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
BBC has an interview with Maliki where he says Iraq is now going to buy military aircraft from Belarus and Russia because the US is dragging its feet. For those who don't recall, Iraq signed an arms deal with Russia a year or so back and the US had them kill it.

I have no problem seeing Russia getting more involved in the region, I think ISIL and Dugin are perfect for each other. I'm sure they'll find alot in common as archaomodern land people.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

McDowell posted:

BBC has an interview with Maliki where he says Iraq is now going to buy military aircraft from Belarus and Russia because the US is dragging its feet. For those who don't recall, Iraq signed an arms deal with Russia a year or so back and the US had them kill it.

I have no problem seeing Russia getting more involved in the region, I think ISIL and Dugin are perfect for each other. I'm sure they'll find alot in common as archaomodern land people.

Maliki is such a big whiney baby.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

McDowell posted:

It's probably pretty easy for anyone to "sell" Iraq arms at the moment, given that the current regime has weeks left at best.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
In a bit of schadenfreude news, Alaa Al Aswany, the Egyptian 'liberal thinker and democrat' who waxed on about democracy during mubarak and the MB days, then turned into a fascist bootlicker and one of the biggest proponents of Sisi and then kept trying to justify the mas murder of his political opponents, got banned from writing articles on all Egyptian newspapers, because he tried to say one mildly critical thing about the military regime.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

In a bit of schadenfreude news, Alaa Al Aswany, the Egyptian 'liberal thinker and democrat' who waxed on about democracy during mubarak and the MB days, then turned into a fascist bootlicker and one of the biggest proponents of Sisi and then kept trying to justify the mas murder of his political opponents, got banned from writing articles on all Egyptian newspapers, because he tried to say one mildly critical thing about the military regime.

Wait, is the suppression of free speech that bad in Egypt? I mean, I knew it was pretty bad, and that public protests are regularly treated with brutality, but completely censoring an individual because of one comment is absurd.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

ChaosSamusX posted:

Wait, is the suppression of free speech that bad in Egypt? I mean, I knew it was pretty bad, and that public protests are regularly treated with brutality, but completely censoring an individual because of one comment is absurd.

An Al-Jazeera reporter and a few others were just sentenced to multiple years in prison in Egypt for doing exactly that

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
And Kerry will still say that Sissi's doing a bang-up job and will have unfrozen US military aid to Egypt. What a joke.

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

Were the protesters who brought down Morsi fools for playing into the hands of the Egyptian military, or was Morsi so bad that he had to go no matter what? Morsi did troubling things, but couldn't the Egyptians have let Morsi serve out his term before voting the Brotherhood out of office to maintain democracy?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Popcornicus posted:

Were the protesters who brought down Morsi fools for playing into the hands of the Egyptian military, or was Morsi so bad that he had to go no matter what? Morsi did troubling things, but couldn't the Egyptians have let Morsi serve out his term before voting the Brotherhood out of office to maintain democracy?

I think what happened was the military holds a big portion of the Egyptian economy, when Morsi started going against them they messed with the economy to make things worse, which was blamed on Morsi, and the rest is history.

Keep in mind this is only my ignorant American analysis though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Popcornicus posted:

I don't think you'll find many that aren't in the Sisi cult who will tell you that Morsi should've gone. He was a completely different President than he was a candidate to a disgusting level, and Egypt's democracy was inherently flawed due to the piss poor process used to create it (after Morsi was elected, the MB and the Egyptian supreme court got together and hashed out what "president" was, as the powers of the position hadn't even been set up beforehand), but at least in theory it wasn't rigid. A new President could be elected (giving Morsi a 4 year term right off the bat was a mistake as well, but eventually), and the Egyptian people could have some say in determining the direction Egypt took. However, it does seem that the democracy was rigged to fail and Morsi was never meant to serve out his full term. There were people on the day of the elections saying that they voted for Morsi because they thought he'd be the easiest to overthrow. While Morsi really was the popular candidate, I think you could've thrown just about anyone in that position, and he wouldn't have been able to hold that iteration of democracy together with how stacked the deck was against him. More than anything, to me it's just a sad tale of Mubarak and democracy being symbols that the original revolution latched on to, and the military behind the curtain gave them the fall of Mubarak, and democracy, and skillfully navigated the process with the intent of never yielding an inch of power.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 27, 2014

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
So are we moving closer to a defacto 3 state solution in Iraq, or will the violence spike past an internationally unacceptable level?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

cheese posted:

So are we moving closer to a defacto 3 state solution in Iraq, or will the violence spike past an internationally unacceptable level?

Yes.

Okay to be fair, the violence will be hard pressed to actually spurn any action beyond arm sales, which I guess is the implicit threshold for unacceptable

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Volkerball posted:

I don't think you'll find many that aren't in the Sisi cult who will tell you that Morsi should've gone. He was a completely different President than he was a candidate to a disgusting level, and Egypt's democracy was inherently flawed due to the piss poor process used to create it (after Morsi was elected, the MB and the Egyptian supreme court got together and hashed out what "president" was, as the powers of the position hadn't even been set up beforehand), but at least in theory it wasn't rigid. A new President could be elected (giving Morsi a 4 year term right off the bat was a mistake as well, but eventually), and the Egyptian people could have some say in determining the direction Egypt took. However, it does seem that the democracy was rigged to fail and Morsi was never meant to serve out his full term. There were people on the day of the elections saying that they voted for Morsi because they thought he'd be the easiest to overthrow. While Morsi really was the popular candidate, I think you could've thrown just about anyone in that position, and he wouldn't have been able to hold that iteration of democracy together with how stacked the deck was against him. More than anything, to me it's just a sad tale of Mubarak and democracy being symbols that the original revolution latched on to, and the military behind the curtain gave them the fall of Mubarak, and democracy, and skillfully navigated the process with the intent of never yielding an inch of power.

That is a drat good breakdown.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Sucrose posted:

And Kerry will still say that Sissi's doing a bang-up job and will have unfrozen US military aid to Egypt. What a joke.

Wait, my bad, Kerry will publicly make some vague condemnations, and then in reality free up aid for Sisi anyway like nothing happened.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

cheese posted:

"Internationally unacceptable"

bahahaha

Who the gently caress is going to stop it?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
So Libya's having elections, how are those going?
Oh, not so good.:smith:

quote:

Voting has ended in a Libyan general election marred by low turnout and deadly violence. The election is seen as a last chance to end the anarchy that has gripped the country since the 2011 overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi.

Officials said about 630,000 people voted, fewer than half of those eligible.

At least five people died in clashes between government forces and militants in the eastern city of Benghazi. Security officials said Islamist insurgents had opened fire on a local security headquarters. At least another 30 people were wounded, they added.

In a separate incident in Benghazi, unidentified gunmen shot dead human rights activist Salwa Bughaighis at her home shortly after she had returned from voting. Security officials said her attackers had been hooded and were wearing military uniforms.

Ms Bughaighis, a lawyer, played an active part in the overthrow of Col Gaddafi and became a member of Libya's interim National Transitional Council. A native of Benghazi, she had three children.

Aw poo poo, that really sucks.:smith:

quote:

Ms Bugaighis was one of the most prominent human rights activists in Libya and her brutal killing at her own home caused profound shock, even in a society which is being increasingly exposed to bloody strife. The lawyer was shot and stabbed on the day of the general election, an exercise in democracy she had played a part in establishing from the early, uncertain days of the revolution which led to the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi.

The ceaseless campaign Salwa Bugaighis carried out for women's rights led to her being condemned by jihadist groups, as well as by the Muslim Brotherhood and the Grand Mufti, Al-Sadiq al-Gharyani. She repeatedly stressed that she was a follower of Islam, but spoke out against the hijab, arguing there was nothing in the faith demanding that women should cover themselves entirely, and rarely even wore a headscarf herself.

Speaking to The Independent, Iman Bugaighis, an orthodontist by profession, said: “It has been a terrible, terrible shock. We have seen arguments and debate being stopped by the gun - this is what's happening to our society - but to lose a sister in such a way is hard, very hard.

As a member of the National Transitional Council, the opposition umbrella group during the uprising, Ms Bugaighis led a fight against the small quota of 10 per cent for the number of women in parliament, calling for it to be raised to 30 per cent. The need was, she said, to change the “tribal mentality, the stereotype of women; we have to work hard to change the mentality of the society.” On the day she died, 32 out of 200 seats in the new House of Representatives were reserved for women.
She was fighting the good fight, and it got her killed.:smith:

...Can we just make :smith: the official Middle East emote? (If it isn't already)

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, the one thing that supporters of the coup always seem to forget is that Mursi's popularity was falling spectacularly, and in the next set of elections he and his party would've been gone. The response that "b-but he could've seized power and destroyed democracy!" rings a little hollow considering that's exactly what happened anyway.

Gen. Ripper posted:

I think what happened was the military holds a big portion of the Egyptian economy, when Morsi started going against them they messed with the economy to make things worse, which was blamed on Morsi, and the rest is history.

Keep in mind this is only my ignorant American analysis though.

It's almost certainly true, but I've always had a hard time researching the degree to which the Egyptian military is intertwined with business. Like, that whole aspect where public and private sectors bleed together is always shady as hell and difficult to quantify.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 27, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

illrepute posted:

Yeah, the one thing that supporters of the coup always seem to forget is that Mursi's popularity was falling spectacularly, and in the next set of elections he and his party would've been gone. The response that "b-but he could've seized power and destroyed democracy!" rings a little hollow considering that's exactly what happened anyway.

The next set of elections (4 years from then).

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

computer parts posted:

Yep, sucks. But: four years of Mursi: probably better than what's happening now?

e: Like, God, where to begin? The mass death sentences? The amnesty for security personnel who gassed protesters to death? Decade-long prison sentences for AJ journalists? The sham elections? Even at his lowest, Mursi pales compared to these clowns.

illrepute fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 27, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

illrepute posted:

Yep, sucks. But: four years of Mursi: probably better than what's happening now?

Probably just as awful but in a completely different way.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Probably just as awful but in a completely different way.

If that makes you feel better about it, sure. But he was in office for a year and we saw nothing like this.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

3. :eng101: It should be noted that Egypt's sorry excuse for political process was ripe for exploitation, and Morsi and the MB were doing everything they could to take advantage of that. It was very clear the intent was to cement the MB as the ruling party and push out opposition parties, and in 4 years, 3 more on top of the year from his election to the coup, it probably would have been unrecognizable as an elected representative body accountable to voters. That was why I initially supported the coup, because their institution of democracy was so broken, that there's no telling what would've become of it in the long term. They basically enacted a rough draft, and they needed to make a bunch of revisions just so that their government would be able to survive its first 4 years at the hands of a man with a clearcut, oppressive agenda that no one was going to stop him from pursuing. Checks and balances, all that good stuff that no one thought to (or purposely didn't) add initially. So really, I think the difference is negligible, because if people had decided to stay home instead of protesting after Morsi's first year, they would've changed their tune at some point before his term was up when things continued to get worse for the majority of the population who weren't interested in an Islamic state. Not to mention the military was always looming in the background with the power to subvert or overthrow the MB at any time, and they obviously didn't have any interest in their democracy becoming sustainable. The crash course was inevitable. The question is more about what is your flavor? Islamic theocracy, or fascist, oppressive junta? At least Morsi's government wasn't out murdering people en masse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fade5 posted:

So Libya's having elections, how are those going?
Oh, not so good.:smith:

Aw poo poo, that really sucks.:smith:

She was fighting the good fight, and it got her killed.:smith:

...Can we just make :smith: the official Middle East emote? (If it isn't already)

This poo poo is like real life Game of Thrones. Nice people can't last long.

• Locked thread