Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

BloodWulfe posted:

e:
Was Murayama also the scenario writer/planner for Suikoden, or did someone else handle that?

Honestly I was only going by the article title, gently caress if I know otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He was Director, Writer, and Producer for the first three Suikoden games, yes. Iunno exactly what he wrote, but going by interviews everything went by him either way.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I bought Atelier Escha and Logy during the flash sale and then I liked it so much I grabbed Atelier Ayesha and that was a lot of fun too.

Then I bought Rorona plus and boy it sure reminds me why I don't like the Arland trilogy. Does Rorona get any more depth with the alchemy system beyond "throw crap into pot"? Escha and Logy was really fun to carefully plan what ingredients to use to just completely break the game, i'm not seeing an obvious way to do that in Rorona.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I bought Atelier Escha and Logy during the flash sale and then I liked it so much I grabbed Atelier Ayesha and that was a lot of fun too.

Then I bought Rorona plus and boy it sure reminds me why I don't like the Arland trilogy. Does Rorona get any more depth with the alchemy system beyond "throw crap into pot"? Escha and Logy was really fun to carefully plan what ingredients to use to just completely break the game, i'm not seeing an obvious way to do that in Rorona.

You get some ability to customize the ingredients themselves later on but nothing as cool or fun as E&L, no. It's basically all about getting an S-Rank item with good traits.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 26, 2014

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Bummer. Guess i'll wait for whenever Atelier Shallie gets localized.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zore posted:

Units will basically never leave. You have to make an extremely concentrated effort to lose them.
Coming from SMT I can understand losing a Chaotic unit in a Law route, but what about the "defeating enemies of their own clan" aspect? If I were to spend a period of time grinding that happens to have clansmen of the same type as one of my units would I want to not use that unit in battle for a while?

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Kild posted:

Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song PS2.

Some treasure maps just don't want to work for me. I had a level 4 in the Water Palace where Strom is and its not in the 3 rooms that are accessible since the other side is locked because I did that quest already.

Similarly I have a level 3 map in West Cave and B2 is locked and since I'm ER22 I can't do the quest again to unlock it? I don't think the Stalagmites ever unlocked in either of my playthroughs.

Also has anyone managed to get the Treasure Map dupe to work? I got traded one away on New Road and got a Shooting Star but I've traded like 50 or more creatures and have yet to see it.

Follow the blue arrow on your compass when you're in the location/level indicated on your map. If the blue arrow points towards a room you can't get into I guess you're outta luck. Given how wonky the game can be about some things - especially at ER22 - it wouldn't shock me that some maps aren't always accessible.

I've never gotten the map dupe to work, but I honestly didn't try very hard when it didn't work the first few times. My only suggestion would be to try trading different junk items but, since you've tried it 50+ times, I'm willing to bet you already thought of that.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I've had enough people yell at me about this without giving specifics, so... what makes FF3 DS/mobile/PC/whatthefuckever a bad game?

I grabbed the Steam version from the current sale, which already has its own issues.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

iastudent posted:

I've had enough people yell at me about this without giving specifics, so... what makes FF3 DS/mobile/PC/whatthefuckever a bad game?

Crazy design, a nasty endgame (last save point is outside an hourlong, multi-boss dungeon... or is it at the start and you're locked in? I forget), classes work in some weird ways that don't resemble how they do in the rest of the series, and it's really bland story-wise with 4 character-less blank slates as your party.

Also: gimmick dungeons a go-go. "Must be Mini to enter/proceed", or "Gotta be Toaded".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's a boring slog where the main mechanic and lone interesting feature (class swapping) actively discourages your from experimenting with it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Captain Vittles posted:

Follow the blue arrow on your compass when you're in the location/level indicated on your map. If the blue arrow points towards a room you can't get into I guess you're outta luck. Given how wonky the game can be about some things - especially at ER22 - it wouldn't shock me that some maps aren't always accessible.

I've never gotten the map dupe to work, but I honestly didn't try very hard when it didn't work the first few times. My only suggestion would be to try trading different junk items but, since you've tried it 50+ times, I'm willing to bet you already thought of that.

Yeah I know how Treasure maps work. I've gotten 5 pocket dragons and a Shooting Star already. It's just the map seems to not be any place that isn't West Cave B2 but thats not accessible for me. Similarly for Strom's Den.

iastudent posted:

I grabbed the Steam version from the current sale, which already has its own issues.

It's not much worse than any of the other FFs. The hidden dungeon is annoying is how much stronger it is than everything else though. Class changing can be annoying I suppose but you level so quickly it shouldn't matter. Some dungeons require you to have certain spells to enter.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's a game that punishes you for changing classes, nerfed the capstone classes of the game in an attempt to get you to play as other shittier classes, hosed up enemy balance and turned every encounter into multi-attacking slabs of HP, and didn't bother to fix the actual problems inherent to being an RPG from the NES.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Kild posted:

Yeah I know how Treasure maps work. I've gotten 5 pocket dragons and a Shooting Star already. It's just the map seems to not be any place that isn't West Cave B2 but thats not accessible for me. Similarly for Strom's Den.

Sorry, I should have read more closely. I assume you're right about Strom's Den - I've never gotten a map for there - and I know for sure you're right about the West Cave. You need to have the quest active to fight the boss, you need to kill the boss to break the icicles to access B2, and you need to access B2 to get to the hidden part of B1... and you can't run the quest at ER22.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I'd always been interested in FF3 because goddamn do I love me some job system, but had no idea it was regarded so direly. Guess the massive blindspot in my rpg knowledge was for a reason.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
FF3 on the NES is alright, so long as you remember it's one of the first RPGs to try out a job system and it's still an NES RPG. It's just the remake fumbled so hard it somehow managed to make an already tedious game into a horrible morass.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I think FF3 NES is a great curiosity if you're familiar with later entries in the series, because you can see a lot of foundational stuff there. It's still very much a NES RPG though so it relies a lot more on length than good design.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Plus on the NES you can emulate it to get savestates to get around the "no save points anywhere but this is most important in the gigantic final dungeon" issue.

Although I think halfway through you briefly get to the world map to save, but if you want to go resupply you have to fight backwards through the first segment again, and there's a point of no return later that cuts off even that.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I guess I'm going to be the lone dissenter about the Tactics Ogre remake here and put out my opinion, which is that it might have been a great game. As it stands, some its mechanics just flagrantly get in the way of enjoying the game.

The class level system would have been a great idea with the right implementation, but in the context of TO's gameplay, it doesn't seem to serve any design purpose. You'd assume that associating experience levels with classes instead of individual characters would allow the player to quickly replace a dead character and therefore allow the designers to increase the game's overall difficulty, but the individualized skill system is so spectacularly grindy that, if this was a design objective, it's categorically unaccomplished -- replacing a dead character would require hours and hours of grinding skills points and skill experience back. Furthermore, the game leaves you no way to allow new classes to quickly catch up -- they all start at level 1, and while the game tends to assign a bit more experience to underleveled classes, it's simply not enough. This leaves the player with three bad choices: either bring low level classes into story battles where they'll be completely useless, never touch new classes, or grind the new classes out -- which has the side effect of dramatically overlevelling your main army, making the next half-dozen story battles a complete cakewalk. It's just... terribly implemented. The game is good, but it doesn't allow you to enjoy what it has to offer.

That's my biggest complaint about the game -- the rest is mostly small but baffling mistakes:

• I don't understand how any moderately sane QA tester or game design team member could have possibly okayed the crafting system; I'm going to blame Japanese cultural reverence for elders and hierarchy for this one. You're in a pretty bad spot when nobody has the balls to call out senior designers for their terrible ideas.
  • Skill experience rates: good lord I don't have time for this.
  • Unique character recruitment schemes that are esoteric on a level resembling imaginary mathematics (just kidding; imaginary math isn't that complicated).
  • The individual level up stat bonus system: no seriously who thought this was a good idea?

That said, it's still fun to play, has great sound design, and it's translated by Kajiya Productions so it's definitely worth playing.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 28, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Play the NES version if it's within your means. It's basically the same game except you can't easily buy things in fast stacks of 99 and also your Level 99 party won't wipe to some boss or even just scrub random encounters because the RNG said gently caress you.

v Oh, you can? Nice, then. It's been a long-rear end time since I played the original... poo poo, more than a decade by now.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 28, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

The White Dragon posted:

Play the NES version if it's within your means. It's basically the same game except you can't easily buy things in fast stacks of 99

Yes you can. That 10-count thing goes up. :ssh:

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Heavy neutrino posted:

I guess I'm going to be the lone dissenter about the Tactics Ogre remake here and put out my opinion, which is that it might have been a great game. As it stands, some its mechanics just flagrantly get in the way of enjoying the game.

The class level system would have been a great idea with the right implementation, but in the context of TO's gameplay, it doesn't seem to serve any design purpose. You'd assume that associating experience levels with classes instead of individual characters would allow the player to quickly replace a dead character and therefore allow the designers to increase the game's overall difficulty, but the individualized skill system is so spectacularly grindy that, if this was a design objective, it's categorically unaccomplished -- replacing a dead character would require hours and hours of grinding skills points and skill experience back. Furthermore, the game leaves you no way to allow new classes to quickly catch up -- they all start at level 1, and while the game tends to assign a bit more experience to underleveled classes, it's simply not enough. This leaves the player with three bad choices: either bring low level classes into story battles where they'll be completely useless, never touch new classes, or grind the new classes out -- which has the side effect of dramatically overlevelling your main army, making the next half-dozen story battles a complete cakewalk. It's just... terribly implemented. The game is good, but it doesn't allow you to enjoy what it has to offer.

That's my biggest complaint about the game -- the rest is mostly small but baffling mistakes:

What I did is I went through the game normally. Then when I went back to the branching point in the story to see the other path I changed all my guys into the classes that I didn't use much as well as the special classes like shaman I didn't really get a chance to use. Since everyone was at or around level 1 all the enemies scaled and it was fine. I honestly found the game a little easy on the first play through so going with a sub-optimal class balance kept things interesting as well.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Million Ghosts posted:

Anyone here play Metal Max Returns? I've played Metal Saga on PS2 and loved it, jankiness and all, and now I want more post-apoc tank driving goodness. Plus it looks nice and story light, which will be great after an FF game.
Metal Max Returns (MMR) is what introduced me to the series, and I wasn't even aware that Metal Saga existed at all. I've played several hours of Metal Saga, and I feel it was comparable to MMR.

MMR was similarly open-ended, and I never felt particularly pushed in one direction or another by 'the plot.' When I met what is probably the final boss of the game, it was almost accidental as I was merely exploring. I spent most of my time hunting down vehicles and upgrading them, along with upgrading my own guys' gear.

My only disappointment is that one of the ammo types lets you break the game. I feel as though I could never have defeated some of the boss-type enemies without it, at least not as early and as quickly as I did.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tactics Ogre: Killing all of the slaves is the Law path? What?

I think my chief complaint is that the game is just so slow. Battles take forever when you're doing 15-20 damage on enemies with 180+ health.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

I think my chief complaint is that the game is just so slow. Battles take forever when you're doing 15-20 damage on enemies with 180+ health.

Yeah, Law is all about following orders and maintaining the status quo. Its definitely not the "good guy" path.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Nate RFB posted:

There's a reason why the D&D morality system differentiates between Good <-> Evil and Lawful <-> Chaotic. Law is not inherently Good.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

• I don't understand how any moderately sane QA tester or game design team member could have possibly okayed the crafting system; I'm going to blame Japanese cultural reverence for elders and hierarchy for this one. You're in a pretty bad spot when nobody has the balls to call out senior designers for their terrible ideas.
  • Skill experience rates: good lord I don't have time for this.
  • Unique character recruitment schemes that are esoteric on a level resembling imaginary mathematics (just kidding; imaginary math isn't that complicated).
  • The individual level up stat bonus system: no seriously who thought this was a good idea?

That said, it's still fun to play, has great sound design, and it's translated by Kajiya Productions so it's definitely worth playing.

You forgot to mention that the game also has equipment restrictions based on your level. So a level 1 guy in a new class is truly dead weight, because they can only equip the worst equipment in the game even if they had the Excalibur III equipped a few minutes ago. I'm not really a fan of the game as a whole, since it's like the clunkiest RPG I've ever played and from what I can tell from looking around they changed some stuff for the worse for literally no reason, like Denam having the recruit skill innately, but if people enjoy it for some reason, more power to them.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Last Celebration posted:

You forgot to mention that the game also has equipment restrictions based on your level. So a level 1 guy in a new class is truly dead weight, because they can only equip the worst equipment in the game even if they had the Excalibur III equipped a few minutes ago. I'm not really a fan of the game as a whole, since it's like the clunkiest RPG I've ever played and from what I can tell from looking around they changed some stuff for the worse for literally no reason, like Denam having the recruit skill innately, but if people enjoy it for some reason, more power to them.

It's a game that seriously benefits from cheat codes. When i play I tend to use the ones that make crafting not fail, multiply the experience for skills, etc. Nothing that breaks the game but rather makes it play a bit more like a modern game. I still think it's a great game in spite of its failings but I understand totally why it might not resonate with some gamers.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So is Fairy Fencer F any good? The aesthetics to it make it resemble Xenoblade to the point where it could be mistaken for a sequel. But with better textures and everything.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Levantine posted:

It's a game that seriously benefits from cheat codes. When i play I tend to use the ones that make crafting not fail, multiply the experience for skills, etc. Nothing that breaks the game but rather makes it play a bit more like a modern game. I still think it's a great game in spite of its failings but I understand totally why it might not resonate with some gamers.
Are you referring to the PSP or PS1 version? I vaguely remember being able to mess with codes in ePSXe, but is there a similar system for the PSP? Short of getting a new .ISO with the changes already implemented.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

Are you referring to the PSP or PS1 version? I vaguely remember being able to mess with codes in ePSXe, but is there a similar system for the PSP? Short of getting a new .ISO with the changes already implemented.

PSP - you can use CWCheat. It's remarkably easy to use.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

TempAR these days. CWcheat hasn't been maintained in almost half a decade.

Also PPSSPP (and maybe JPCSP) are emulators with built-in cheat engines.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is there a way to make the cheats turn on permanently, a la Ocarina on a Wii? Or do you have to manually turn them on every time you boot up the game?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The PSP ones are plug-ins. Either one should have persistent settings.

Obviously they won't stick around if you ditch the plug-in, unless it was something you could accomplish just by editing a save file.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

Is there a way to make the cheats turn on permanently, a la Ocarina on a Wii? Or do you have to manually turn them on every time you boot up the game?

If you are using PPSSPP and the cheat function it has, they are definitely permanent until you turn off cheats.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's on a PSP with CFW. I can get TempAR and the codes to work it just requires first enabling CFW and turning them on. They then reset if you exit the game. Not a big deal I suppose; I just moved all of the ones I want to the top of the list so that I can turn them on more easily. It was just a feature I rather liked about Ocarina.

E: If by "persistent" you mean the "Always On" option (instead of green the cheat is highlighted as blue), then that resets as well upon exiting the game.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 28, 2014

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

So is Fairy Fencer F any good? The aesthetics to it make it resemble Xenoblade to the point where it could be mistaken for a sequel. But with better textures and everything.

It made by Compile Heart, who also makes the Neptunia series, so going in expecting something like Xenoblade is just setting yourself up for disappointment. That said, I believe Fairy Fencer F is just suppose to be kind of average at best, just going through the motions as competently as it can.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's Compile Heart. It's probably going to have some interesting facets to the battle system but ultimately be a long, grinding slog through moe crap. Also it's the Neptunia system rather than any kind of Xenoblade system, so it's a lot more clunky.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

There's a demo of Fairy Fencer F on the Japanese PSN store. I played through it a while back and it seemed alright. You're a cool-guy anime protagonist, you find a sword that is also a girl, and then you team up with other people who also have weapons that are people and you fight stuff. Pretty sure there will be a love triangle between you, your sword, and a mysterious girl.

Combat is alright. I haven't played Neptunia so I don't know if it's the same, but it's turn-based with free movement, so you can position yourself for team attacks and to avoid AoE skills. Your characters can also transform/merge with your weapon (I think the game called it "Fairilizing"?) to power up temporarily.

I don't know if the demo just didn't have the scenes, but after the opening two people join your party with no introduction, not appearing on the screen at all, just a prompt saying they joined. It was weird. One of them was this guy:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Compile Heart really frustrates me. Everything I've played that they've made is sooo loving close to actually being a good game, then they gently caress it up by being Compile Heart.

My greatest shame is that I will probably buy Fairy Fencer F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fairy Fencer F looks like it has the potential to be one of their less-lovely games. I guess it depends on how it goes. I'm not holding out hope.