Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

evobatman posted:

Was the paperwork for you moving to the primary contractor not in place BEFORE you were asked to submit your resignation?

It was. The PM is the overall civilian manager of our detachment as well as the manager of all the primary contractor personnel. He was the one who offered me the transfer and worked out the deal to get me moved from the sub-contractor I was working for to the primary contractor's company.

Basically he was just having a little bit of fun at the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh dear. Today is my boss' last day. He still hasn't told the rest of the team,

I found out for sure earlier this week by accident, although I suspected a couple weeks ago. I've been asking him every day if he's told them yet, and he says he will tell them, but I bet he doesn't and I have to do it myself tomorrow.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

Oh dear. Today is my boss' last day. He still hasn't told the rest of the team,

I found out for sure earlier this week by accident, although I suspected a couple weeks ago. I've been asking him every day if he's told them yet, and he says he will tell them, but I bet he doesn't and I have to do it myself tomorrow.

I predict a post-it note on his office door that says

Peace out Chumps
-Bossman

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Our PM comes over to me yesterday and casually says "So, I heard you submitted your resignation. Got any plans after you leave?" and my heart stopped for a second

:heysexy:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

m.hache posted:

I predict a post-it note on his office door that says

Peace out Chumps
-Bossman

They aren't at this site so that would do nothing.

Which, really, is in accordance with the existing body of work here.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

They aren't at this site so that would do nothing.

Which, really, is in accordance with the existing body of work here.

That's an even better way to quit. It'd be a week before someone hits his office door.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This was a bad day for three of the DirectTV tuners to spontaneously turn themselves off. And the balun for the newly promoted VP looks like a blind man wired it so it keeps losing power. I had to twist the cable into a knot to keep it powered. This video system is rapidly outpacing the printers as my most disliked technology.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Why doesn't he just stream the game via ESPN like everybody else?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
As an end user of Assyst, I can confidently say I'd rather submit tickets in writing via internal post.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Inspector_666 posted:

Why doesn't he just stream the game via ESPN like everybody else?

Because he has a new TV on his wall that was a reward for being promoted.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Because he has a new TV on his wall that was a reward for being promoted.

I don't understand this. Here's your raise, promotion and you get to watch TV all day now?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A question came in.

What the hell do you do about "computer is slow" tickets? I check to make sure there's enough free space, clear out junk, run chkdsk, and that might fix it or might not. What do you guys do when you get these vague tickets?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

skooma512 posted:

A question came in.

What the hell do you do about "computer is slow" tickets? I check to make sure there's enough free space, clear out junk, run chkdsk, and that might fix it or might not. What do you guys do when you get these vague tickets?

If people don't tell me what exactly is slow, that's pretty much it. Check to make sure it's not running something stupid like 2GB or RAM. "Hardware is up to spec and there are no obvious memory leak issues" and close ticket.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Blame corporate for not starting the Win7 upgrade project sooner. We're still on 32 bit XP. :smith:

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

skooma512 posted:

As well as what's already been mentioned I run CCleaner to say 'I've ran a system cleanup' but I also stop poo poo from loading via msconfig.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

A question came in.

Everything everyone else has already said, plus:

"User is using an Optiplex 740, system is running as expected, closing ticket"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

skooma512 posted:

A question came in.

We have live system resource monitors for each PC we support that can help identify the root cause. Alternatively, logging in and opening task manager to check if the CPU and/or RAM are maxed-out; if they are, figure out where it's all going and troubleshoot from there. If you can physically get in front of the computer, figuring out if the slowdown is coupled with a lot of hard drive noises can help (also some failing hard drives doing the click of death can create huge slowdown without crashing/errors sometimes).

Also important to bear in mind is that how much computer power is acceptable changes over time if they use the internet, as web design changes and improves over time outside of your control (technology marches on) and a computer that was fast enough for the web of 2004-2006 is going to have an enormously hard time even with many "basic" websites today. I'm immediately suspicious of any computer with less than 4 gigs of RAM and I've even known some workaholic CEO's who maxed that much out with just basic Microsoft Office and Google Chrome (they had several instances of each program open with multiple files/websites for each, that poo poo adds up).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If they don't tell you what's being slow, a vague complaint gets a vague response.

Check system specs, check msconfig, check scheduled tasks, make sure they don't have a billion browser toolbars, run MBAM from safe mode if you want to be thorough.

Speaking of MBAM, I'm still mad that their new UI makes it look exactly like the kind of adware crap I rely on it to remove.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Entropic posted:

Speaking of MBAM, I'm still mad that their new UI makes it look exactly like the kind of adware crap I rely on it to remove.

I legit thought I'd downloaded a bad thing by accident somehow the first time that happened, who the hell over there thought that was a good idea?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

univbee posted:

I legit thought I'd downloaded a bad thing by accident somehow the first time that happened, who the hell over there thought that was a good idea?

Same. It's uncanny how perfectly they captured the look and feel of PCSpeedUpRegistryCleanerPro2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

Same. It's uncanny how perfectly they captured the look and feel of PCSpeedUpRegistryCleanerPro2015

Yeah it's pretty bad when you look less legit than SuperAntiSpyware (which I keep hearing is pretty good? I still use MBAM though).

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's their new tactic of sneaking it onto Grandmas' computer. Make it look like the spyware she loves to download.

"Learn the secret that IT pros will hate you for!"

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

skooma512 posted:

A question came in.

The first thing you should do is always ask for more info. What are you trying to do? Is it slow to start up as well? How long does it take to open internet explorer? What about files from a network drive? poo poo like that.

Resmon.exe (In windows by default but not advertised that much) is great as it'll break down resource usage in great detail; more-so than task manager.

It might be slow simply because it's a poo poo PC. If it's got a low (2GB) amount of RAM, or a 5400/7200RPM disk that might be the bottleneck. Try to remember that when someone calls in with :frogsiren: THE COMPUTER IS SLOW :frogsiren: that doesn't mean it's suddenly happened out of nowhere. They could just be wise to the ways of the helpdesk you're at and know that screaming about something will warrant a closer look. Whereas in fact, the laptop is 3 or 4 years old and they've put up with it until now.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A meeting invite came in! Reps from our parent companies are coming to the office to meet with the departments heads.

I wonder what they want.

quote:

They have requested to meet with the additional department heads to collectively discuss and to get your opinion on how we can help cut costs across the board.

...oh :smith:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yeah it's pretty bad when you look less legit than SuperAntiSpyware (which I keep hearing is pretty good? I still use MBAM though).

I use mbam first to get rid of the nasty stuff and if it finds anything I do super anti spyware to clean up the little bits of junk that's left behind. They're complementary, not competitive.

As for the computer slow tickets, I follow up with a call and say I'll remote in while they demonstrate what is slow. From there I can understand what program is slow, clean out plugins, check logs, troubleshoot the real problem.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

pr0digal posted:

A meeting invite came in! Reps from our parent companies are coming to the office to meet with the departments heads.

I wonder what they want.

...oh :smith:

That's pretty progressive. I mean, they're actually talking to some of the people at the acquired company instead of putting a machete in each hand and windmilling.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Che Delilas posted:

That's pretty progressive. I mean, they're actually talking to some of the people at the acquired company instead of putting a machete in each hand and windmilling.

Past experience has shown that the machete windmilling is going to happen regardless

But we'll pretend to listen!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

pr0digal posted:

Past experience has shown that the machete windmilling is going to happen regardless

But we'll pretend to listen!

Such a bad time to be alive when the layoffs start and people who are still around jump ship.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

The first thing you should do is always ask for more info. What are you trying to do? Is it slow to start up as well? How long does it take to open internet explorer? What about files from a network drive? poo poo like that.

Resmon.exe (In windows by default but not advertised that much) is great as it'll break down resource usage in great detail; more-so than task manager.

It might be slow simply because it's a poo poo PC. If it's got a low (2GB) amount of RAM, or a 5400/7200RPM disk that might be the bottleneck. Try to remember that when someone calls in with :frogsiren: THE COMPUTER IS SLOW :frogsiren: that doesn't mean it's suddenly happened out of nowhere. They could just be wise to the ways of the helpdesk you're at and know that screaming about something will warrant a closer look. Whereas in fact, the laptop is 3 or 4 years old and they've put up with it until now.

I get similar issues in my queue, but with servers it's even funner. We don't do performing tuning, but hey we'd at least check hardware issues as well as possibly obvious software issues.

Although the guy who wants to do performance trading on a server with 1 SATA drive, with no RAID card so no cache...of course your system is slower than you want.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I got my first slow computer ticket today, user has 34k unread emails in their inbox.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Godsped posted:

I got my first slow computer ticket today, user has 34k unread emails in their inbox.

Well if they're not read they're obviously not important. Delete all. :getin:

Don't actually do this

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Godsped posted:

I kind of admire this person.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I kind of admire this person.

If they can't fit the content into the little toaster popup it's not worth reading.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?
About a week ago we received a ticket that a sound coming from our veeam backup server/nas. It looked as though our raid set had lost two drives at the same time oh well they were about 3 years old. So we proceeded to purchase 16 new 4tb drives and a new raid card. Later on while working in that building a user comes back and starts asking what would happen if someone just happened to pull a drive out or two out of the server... We performed full scans of both drives that "failed" no bad sectors. So we got to rebuild our veeam datastore from scratch, attempt to restore non critical data from tapes and spend over 5k on hardware... because a user decided it would be a great idea to see what would happen if she pulled a hard drive or two out of the server.

tehfeer fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 26, 2014

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Entropic posted:

If they don't tell you what's being slow, a vague complaint gets a vague response.

Check system specs, check msconfig, check scheduled tasks, make sure they don't have a billion browser toolbars, run MBAM from safe mode if you want to be thorough.

Oh man, seconding the MBAM deal - I still refuse to upgrade from 1.75, that new interface is hot garbage. It still lets me update the definitions but I always cancel out the "upgrade to the latest version" prompt.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

univbee posted:

Well if they're not read they're obviously not important. Delete all. :getin:

Don't actually do this

She joked about doing that but instead she's going to sort through all of them.

At least I taught her how to empty the recycling bin and deleted folder

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

tehfeer posted:

About a week ago we received a ticket that a sound coming from our veeam backup server/nas. It looked as though our raid set had lost two drives at the same time oh well they were about 3 years old. So we proceeded to purchase 16 new 4tb drives and a new raid card. Later on while working in that building a user comes back and starts asking what would happen if someone just happened to pull a drive out or two out of the server... We performed full scans of both drives that "failed" no bad sectors. So we got to rebuild our veeam datastore from scratch, attempt to restore non critical data from tapes and spend over 5k on hardware... because a user decided it would be a great idea to see what would happen if she pulled a hard drive or two out of the server.

And that's why access control is important

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Godsped posted:

She joked about doing that but instead she's going to sort through all of them.

At least I taught her how to empty the recycling bin and deleted folder

I can't wait to hear about her exasperation after a few thousand.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?

tehloki posted:

And that's why access control is important

It was a secure room however 3 users had access to it to store some of their sensitive documents. Before we went virtual they had many of their departmental servers in that room. They dealt with the day to day operation and management of those servers. What it comes down to is it was not just a random new employee who walked up and pulled the hard drives out.

tehfeer fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Yeah Resource Monitor is really the way to go for figuring out why things are slow. On anything without an SSD, chances are pretty high that it's going to be disk related and resmon will give you a breakdown of which process have the highest disk activity. But always get more specifics from the user first, otherwise you'll spend ages troubleshooting just to find out that they were trying to watch youtube on a 2 meg shared connection.

• Locked thread