Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Kalman posted:

You're going to the wrong restaurants if you think DC has lovely food.

He's coming from Houston, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

psydude posted:

Federal pay is pretty god damned terrible in the DC area, even with COL adjustments.

I thought I finally made it when I got on a 7/9/11 pay scale, only to hear the GS 11-14s in my office complaining about the COL here. Those 11-14s live way outside the beltway to the point that they're catching MARC/VRE to get to work. Then again, with USPTO's hoteling program, I won't have to put up with the DC area's high COL for long.

I can get a 3000 square foot, 5 bedroom 4 bath home in South Carolina for the amount of money people pay in rent for these 400 square foot boxes here.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3157664761-2-Shoreline-Dr-Columbia-SC-29229

Good luck trying to find a home like that in this area for under $500k

Delorence Fickle fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 11, 2014

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Delorence Fickle posted:

http://www.trulia.com/property/3157664761-2-Shoreline-Dr-Columbia-SC-29229

Good luck trying to find a home like that in this area for under $500k 1.5 Million.

Fixed. DC Metro, especially the Virginia side sucks when it comes to housing costs. Unless you want to commute 2 hours each way from places past Leesburg or Winchester or even places in WV.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

anne frank fanfic posted:

He's coming from Houston, though.

And? DC won't have comparable tex lex or barbecue - it has some absolutely fantastic food overall, though.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Kalman posted:

And? DC won't have comparable tex lex or barbecue - it has some absolutely fantastic food overall, though.

It's a step down from Houston is all. Not to mention the insane cost of living that he already mentioned. So really he moved to a slightly worse city for less money.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

anne frank fanfic posted:

It's a step down from Houston is all. Not to mention the insane cost of living that he already mentioned. So really he moved to a slightly worse city for less money.

I'm finally moving out of DC (still a Fed) to another country. DC is usually a step down in any regard besides the "unique jobs available only in DC" category. There's absolutely no reason in my mind to come to DC unless your focused on career advancement/GS hopping to a HQ job/checking off the DC tour checkbox. Or maybe if your into raising kids in a super safe, leafy suburb with good schools, it's not bad.

I know I'm disillusioned and bitter after living here 25 years. My priorities have changed. I no longer want to live in a place with high COL, insane housing costs, terrible weather, partisan politics, horrific traffic, no access to quality ocean/water/mountains, risk averse (boring) population, lack of creative types. Oh and half-smokes are actually terrible.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
At what level should someone do a DC tour? It seems like at some point if you do a DC tour you get so high up that you basically can't leave DC. All the SES positions seem to be in the DC area.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It does not sound like anyone in this thread is in the Senior Executive Service, though I could be wrong. I think they are just talking about how you likely have to go to DC to get to GS-15; then, SO I HAVE HEARD, if you do a good job networking you could probably be on a short list for a GS-15 job elsewhere. Or at least that is what our Deputy Director told us last week when talking about how you basically need to move to DC even if your eventual goal is to be somewhere else (at GS-15).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

problematique posted:

I'm finally moving out of DC (still a Fed) to another country. DC is usually a step down in any regard besides the "unique jobs available only in DC" category. There's absolutely no reason in my mind to come to DC unless your focused on career advancement/GS hopping to a HQ job/checking off the DC tour checkbox. Or maybe if your into raising kids in a super safe, leafy suburb with good schools, it's not bad.

I know I'm disillusioned and bitter after living here 25 years. My priorities have changed. I no longer want to live in a place with high COL, insane housing costs, terrible weather, partisan politics, horrific traffic, no access to quality ocean/water/mountains, risk averse (boring) population, lack of creative types. Oh and half-smokes are actually terrible.

So you joined the foreign service? Well it's a good thing that no other country or city in the world has any of those problems you mentioned.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Quarex posted:

It does not sound like anyone in this thread is in the Senior Executive Service, though I could be wrong. I think they are just talking about how you likely have to go to DC to get to GS-15; then, SO I HAVE HEARD, if you do a good job networking you could probably be on a short list for a GS-15 job elsewhere. Or at least that is what our Deputy Director told us last week when talking about how you basically need to move to DC even if your eventual goal is to be somewhere else (at GS-15).

I helped my dad go through the federal hiring process and most of the GS-15 stuff for tech and ops is based in DC, and I would assume it's similar for other agencies (what with their headquarters mostly being based in DC). Transferring between jobs can be pretty fluid, though, so you (royal you) might not spend very long in DC.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

psydude posted:

So you joined the foreign service? Well it's a good thing that no other country or city in the world has any of those problems you mentioned.

Of course not, they have other, far greater problems. But not many have all those problems I listed, and none do in the US. If those are things that aggravate you, it's important to know that before coming to DC.

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

At what level should someone do a DC tour? It seems like at some point if you do a DC tour you get so high up that you basically can't leave DC. All the SES positions seem to be in the DC area.

I think it really depends where you work. But I'd say generally once you start moving into GS-14/15 range you start seeing a lot of DC based jobs. Field will have those jobs as well, but far fewer.]

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Quarex posted:

In my agency, each of the 18 or so district office directors are SES. The typical path to those positions is to come up from professional positions (usually from the same district, if not same office) into supervision and management roles. We have about 25 SES positions in HQ. It is very rare that someone gets a field SES position after going to HQ.

I do realize my agency is atypical; about 75% of all SES positions government-wide are located in the DC metro area.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004

JohnnyHildo posted:

In my agency, each of the 18 or so district office directors are SES. The typical path to those positions is to come up from professional positions (usually from the same district, if not same office) into supervision and management roles. We have about 25 SES positions in HQ. It is very rare that someone gets a field SES position after going to HQ.

I do realize my agency is atypical; about 75% of all SES positions government-wide are located in the DC metro area.

Do the people in these SES positions seem happy with their work? The highest I know is a GS 14 outside of DC and he seems to enjoy his job. I'm not sure if it's worth it to go much higher than that...

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer
I worked in DC for a while, on a long term temporary assignment. I was offered a permanent position there at a higher GS level than I was at the time a few months after I returned, but I did not take it. Why? Well, I hated the traffic. DC traffic is worse than Manhattan traffic! Or at least it seemed so to me. And while the government paid for my extended stay there, I did not look forward to having to pay for my own stay should I live there long term. Plus I knew I could make that grade where I was soon enough anyway. Now, however, where the levels become harder to get and you need to have people leave before you can get them, I have to consider if it is worth moving for again. Anyway, the work in DC was amazing. Maybe it was just the program I was on, but there was never a dull moment. It was brutal with hours, though, and you were expected to be available around the clock. My boss was British and seemed to never sleep. Yes, working for the US gov I had a British boss in Washington DC. Fun, crazy times. Anyway, if I had a family (something I may want some day) I am not sure I would want to couple the insane workload with the long commute I would have to have to live someplace decently priced. Of course, I am sure not all positions would be like that one, so I am sure one can find a good high grade job there where it is possible to balance work and family life.

Still, had I taken that position I have no doubt that I would be further along in my career than I am now, as most of the leadership left not long after I did moving everyone who stayed up the chain significantly. Of course, that should tell you the direction things were going in... So probably wouldn't have been worth it anyway.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

Do the people in these SES positions seem happy with their work? The highest I know is a GS 14 outside of DC and he seems to enjoy his job. I'm not sure if it's worth it to go much higher than that...

I work with two SESers on a decently regular basis, both seem happy in their positions. Though both are very driven people so I guess it makes sense. One was a very young SESer as well. I work with quite a few GS-15s as well, there it seems more a mix of happiness levels. Now it could just be I have a bigger sample to deal with, and there are some direct reasons for it such as positions changing over time and a frustration with the inability to move any further. I see this with the 14s, too, actually. Some people will be unhappy no matter where they wind up I think, though, because they can always envision something better. I think it also depends on how much impact you perceive you have on how things run, as well. I watched a 15 fall out of favor for some poor decisions have all of their responsibilities stripped from them. They made the same money and should have had far less stress, but they moved elsewhere because they could not stand not having the ability to actually impact anything in the organization.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
People keep on mentioning the commute. Is living in DC itself an option if you are willing to sacrifice the obvious amenities provided by the suburbs? I mean actually working for 20+ years and setting down roots there. I would give up the 3,000 sq ft house and 1 acre lot for a rowhome/townhouse in a decent neighborhood if it meant having a 15 minute commute.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

laxbro posted:

People keep on mentioning the commute. Is living in DC itself an option if you are willing to sacrifice the obvious amenities provided by the suburbs? I mean actually working for 20+ years and setting down roots there. I would give up the 3,000 sq ft house and 1 acre lot for a rowhome/townhouse in a decent neighborhood if it meant having a 15 minute commute.

I live in a somewhat transitional (ie gentrifying but still housing projects down the block) neighborhood in DC proper. 1400 square foot row house renovated about a decade ago, 5 minute walk to metro, 20 minute commute to work.

I pay around 3600/mo for my mortgage, tax, and insurance. I'm a lawyer for a large firm so I can afford it, but I have no idea how the gently caress anyone who isn't (or doesn't have two gs9 incomes) could ever afford to buy in the city if they wanted to live near transit.

I love living here, but yeah, DC real estate is EXPENSIVE.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kalman posted:

I live in a somewhat transitional (ie gentrifying but still housing projects down the block) neighborhood in DC proper. 1400 square foot row house renovated about a decade ago, 5 minute walk to metro, 20 minute commute to work.

I pay around 3600/mo for my mortgage, tax, and insurance. I'm a lawyer for a large firm so I can afford it, but I have no idea how the gently caress anyone who isn't (or doesn't have two gs9 incomes) could ever afford to buy in the city if they wanted to live near transit.

I love living here, but yeah, DC real estate is EXPENSIVE.

You're looking at about 1800/mo for any "decent" sized apartment in DC proper which is why most people opt for living outside of Arlington/Alexandria/Silver Spring/etc. and commuting to the metro in the morning. It's pretty ridiculous all in all.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

I've never met an unhappy district office director. They are practically gods because the agency has virtually no central management. As an example, the agency has a published manual that is available to the public that sets forth agency processes, procedures, and legal positions. Although this standardized manual exists, each director is free to follow or not follow the manual as they see fit, within reason. It does make new employee training difficult when the trainers in DC continually resort to "well, this is what the manual says but find out how your director likes to do things . . ."

This even trickles down within the districts. I was recently promoted from a supervisory position in a district office to a field office director position within the same district. My district director really doesn't care how I run my office (again, within reason) so long as I get him results. He is fully aware I am doing some things he strictly forbade in the district office, but he is more concerned with my results than the processes I use.

I don't really know too many of the SES people in our HQ. Many of them are department heads that I would never interact with like the Chief Human Capital Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Chief Technology Officer, etc. I have dealt with a couple of SES folks on the operational side in HQ and they seemed to like their jobs, but again they're kings so why wouldn't they be happy? I do know of one SES district director who was ran out of their district. That person was rewarded with a newly-created SES position as liaison between two sections of the agency.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

laxbro posted:

If you have kids, you'll probably be relegated to the suburban hellscape that is NoVA or the MD suburbs. If you don't, and you don't really give a poo poo about space, then you can buy a condo in some areas for a "reasonable" amount.

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008
So I accepted a offer for a non career 3 year term appointment as a FSL foreign service officer. Does anyone know how converting/applying to a GS billet later on would work? I've found lots of Civil Service to Foreign Service info but nothing on the reverse.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Untagged posted:

Fixed. DC Metro, especially the Virginia side sucks when it comes to housing costs. Unless you want to commute 2 hours each way from places past Leesburg or Winchester or even places in WV.

There are some pretty nice houses in PG County that approach affordability. But you have to commute up route 210 which is just as bad as I-66.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

Terror Ninja posted:

So I accepted a offer for a non career 3 year term appointment as a FSL foreign service officer. Does anyone know how converting/applying to a GS billet later on would work? I've found lots of Civil Service to Foreign Service info but nothing on the reverse.

What is a FSL foreign service officer? Not finding much on google.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I think it's USAID's version of a LNA.

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008

Tyro posted:

I think it's USAID's version of a LNA.

Yeah it is...guess I can ask around once I start but I can't seem to find anything on the web about the process.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I'm getting to the point in my Peace Corps service where I have to start thinking about the future. Wanted to ask you guys with HR knowledge if a few of the ideas I had are worth following through on.

I've been collecting the email addresses of HR people that are posting interesting federal jobs to a Peace Corps job board I have access to. My plan is to email them a cover letter and resume a few months before I finish my Peace Corps service explaining that I will have one year of non-competitive eligibility and that I am interested in any upcoming entry level jobs in their department. I really want to go straight into a job when my service ends, and I don't want to risk having my one year of NCE status expire before I find a good job.

Is this a bad idea? Will I piss off HR types by emailing them like this? I figure that they have demonstrated an interest in Peace Corps volunteers with NCE by posting to the job board. I always hear that HR people like those with NCE because it is so much easier to hire them. I was also thinking about mailing out envelopes with my cover letter, resume and an explanation of NCE to HR departments of agencies I'd like to work for. Is this worth doing or will the letters go straight into the trash?

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

laxbro posted:

I'm getting to the point in my Peace Corps service where I have to start thinking about the future. Wanted to ask you guys with HR knowledge if a few of the ideas I had are worth following through on.

Congrats! Let's see if you have the right attitude for Federal Service...

laxbro posted:

I've been collecting the email addresses of HR people that are posting interesting federal jobs to a Peace Corps job board I have access to. My plan is to email them a cover letter and resume a few months before I finish my Peace Corps service explaining that I will have one year of non-competitive eligibility and that I am interested in any upcoming entry level jobs in their department. I really want to go straight into a job when my service ends, and I don't want to risk having my one year of NCE status expire before I find a good job.

Well now! This shows initiative and foresight! You sound like a well motivated self starter, capable of adding value to an organization. Please enjoy your job in private industry where such things are welcome and sought after! The Federal Government, however, has no use for your disruptive attitude.

Okay, just kidding there, I hate to propagate that stereotype for Federal Agencies because it isn't always true... However, in this case, I can say for a fact where I work, they wouldn't care at all about your doing that. Negatively or positively. HR people shuffle around the papers needed to get people hired. They can help or hinder you in the process once it is under way by being obtuse about or clarifying certain points, but where I work at least the computer will determine if you get an interview and then managers will determine if you are to be hired. HR has little to do with it other than checking whatever needs to be checked, such as GPA or your Peace Corps background or whatever. They don't really have input into the hiring beyond making sure the managers follow the rules in recruiting and making sure the candidates meet the generic standard requirements, and by that I just mean have the right GPA or other easily verifiable things like that.. It's not that they would like or dislike the initiative you are taking, just... There's nothing they can do with it.

Anyway, I do not know if it is like this everywhere. And I do not want to dissuade you from a very commendable practice. I can tell you stuff like that makes all the difference in the private sector. HR had a much bigger role there, and were usually the first line gatekeepers and the first interviewers. Where I work in the Federal Gov, however, HR is not involved in the actual interviewing, and even in getting the interview they just take the candidates the computer spits out as valid and hand them to the managers. They do not hand resumes to the managers that did not come from the computer application process. Sorry to be so negative here, and I am sure what I am saying doesn't apply everywhere! Oh, also note that it doesn't apply if it isn't an HR person posting... With a manager it really could help. You would still have to follow the normal application process and all that, but a manager might remember that you took that initiative and effort early on or recognize your name amongst a pile of other names from it.

Quick Edit: And once in a while, maybe, for certain intern programs there might be an HR person who this could help with. But again, in my organization even though they would seem like HR it is more likely they would be working for a competency development program or something that wasn't really HR. Confusing, no? I find that my organizational HR is very, very specifically limited in what they do.

e_wraith fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 17, 2014

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

e_wraith posted:

With a manager it really could help. You would still have to follow the normal application process and all that, but a manager might remember that you took that initiative and effort early on or recognize your name amongst a pile of other names from it.

Great tip! I looked up one of the names I have on linkedin for a job I really, really want. He's labeled as a "Chief" for the department of the agency I'd like to work at. Will send him my cv/resume and connect with him on linkedin once I get closer to my end of service. Thanks!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My buddy who I met at the USCIS BASIC Academy came back from the Peace Corps and then some sort of vague thing happened and then she got hired without having to actually interview or qualify or anything. I should ask her for more details, but I want to say that if you find the right type of job listing on USAJobs then you can tell what you will just be able to get. Or maybe you have to give your file to a Peace Corps HR person...

Speaking of the USCIS Academy, since we seem to have had people in the last three groups this year, anyone starting there today!?! If so, find the first instructor you can and tell her/him that the 1404 Class President says "hello" and gauge whether the response is laughter or tears.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

laxbro posted:

I've been collecting the email addresses of HR people that are posting interesting federal jobs to a Peace Corps job board I have access to.

Can you pm (or email) the job board address to me? A lot of planets need to align, but I may be able to hire as many as 3 people with noncompetitive eligibility in the next 2-3 months and I'd love to post info for PC volunteers. Do Americorps VISTA volunteers also have access to that board? My email is my username at gmail.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
It varies a lot agency to agency. At mine, most hiring goes through the USAJobs posting, which is the starting point for their formal review and interviewing process. Any resumes sent to managers or anywhere other than through the USAJobs posting will go straight in the circular file. The managers would have no discretion about this, as they typically are not involved in the hiring process, and the only acceptable candidates are the ones from USAJobs. Not trying to discourage you, though, as it may well work other places.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

laxbro posted:

Nice job thinking ahead- I traveled a lot after my PC service, so it took me about 5 months after I came back to get a job. I picked the right USAJobs posting I suppose, so I didn't even get to use my NCE.

In any case, if you get hired by a federal organization, make sure you look into vetting your service. If I understand correctly, you "buy back" your service (which isn't much, I've heard) and then those years that you've done in PC are added to your fed gov service years. I'm in the middle of contacting people about it, but my friend already did it and since we both stayed for 3 years in the PC, she's getting 6 hours of leave/pay period instead of 4 (that's really the best perk of vetting your service, that and having those years count towards retirement).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Either way, why not start applying to jobs on USAJobs now? Can't you still list that Peace Corps stuff on there or is there some restriction on that because you're not done yet?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Schedule A Bro:

The other day at work we got a reminder (I think this was to all Department of Homeland Security personnel) about how hiring managers have to be sure to properly file their whatever-paperwork for Schedule A Preference Direct Hires or whatever it is called. So not only might you not be at a disadvantage to be Schedule A, there are processes in place to allow you to not even have to compete with other people for some jobs.

Now, what those jobs are, hell, I have no idea. But I just thought you might be interested to know about this.

We also got an e-mail informing us that Homeland Security has added gender identity to its list of anti-discrimination criteria, if that is of interest to anyone here; I know I immediately told my old trans roommate!

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
I am, yes. Thanks, Quarex.

News like this is helpful, because I'll admit - I'm fairly certain I could not possibly compete for a competitive pick.

(Thing that weirded me out. I was applying for a GS-5 position with CBP as a paralegal specialist...And the occupational questionnaire asked me, four or five times, about high school. Whaaat? The position wants a college degree as minimum ed credential!)

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
We finally get some 13 jobs posted for the center and it's for goddamn training team. WHEN WILL YOU MAKE ME A SENIOR, LORD?

edit: When I first interviewed, the DHS section had a lot of High School questions. I'd guess for honesty metrics? Maybe?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I do quite fondly remember USAJobs resulting in me having to actually remember my high school years in the scholastic sense, rather than the social sense, for the first time in uhhh yeah. Forever. On the plus side I min/maxed my application successfully as I realized I could say "yes" to the "high school honor society" question as the International Thespian Society is, in fact, technically an honor society :smug:

Pretty sure I did not have to answer any high school questions for any USCIS applications though, which is relevant as it brings me to--

My USCIS office in Vermont is going to be hiring a lot of people again soon! Keep an eye out for Immigration Service Officer/Immigration Service Assistant positions in St. Albans or Essex, Vermont.

No, I have absolutely no power whatsoever to impact your hiring given that we do not even actually know who does the selection process, but the working conditions are great AND as I have mentioned before basically everyone at the immigration academy constantly tells you how this job is your ticket to The Big Time! Have fun now AND foolishly go to DC to try to improve your career later!

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Have you ever met any refugee officers? Any perks that go along with the job besides getting to visit cool countries?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

laxbro posted:

Have you ever met any refugee officers? Any perks that go along with the job besides getting to visit cool countries?
I met three at BASIC, and they were all attractive women. So if you would like to become an attractive woman, that is the job for you.

But yes, I think the "living most of your life in other countries" thing is the primary perk, from what I gathered. Though if you actually care about trying to abate the suffering of humanity, you can obviously see the impact your work is having, which seems pretty cool. Certainly less abstract than being an immigration officer. Except the interview kind. But from the training videos we have seen I imagine much of your day as an interviewing officer is spent having people lie to you about being legitimately married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I have a phone interview next week for a claims representative position in the Social Security Administration. I've never had a fed job interview before, so I'm not sure if there are rote questions or anything. Anyone have one weird old trick I should know about? I will be speaking with a District Manager, if that matters.

I was in the Peace Corps so I applied directly to a Peace Corps job listing with my non-competitive eligibility (the position was only accepting NCE applicants). I emailed my resume and they set up the interview a few days later. This was way faster than I expected. I assume that it's a good sign?

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 27, 2014