Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

elbkaida posted:

Yeah, scoring only once vs opposition as clueless as the US is a bit alarming. Schweinsteiger looked good today, Lahm had some really weak passes though. Generally the tactics of not giving the US the space they had in the other games worked really well, you could see how they struggled to get any type of play going whenever they got the ball.
But there really needs to be more of a threat upfront. 13 shots to one goal is not a good ratio. Luckily next match shouldn't be too tough, let's see who makes it.

yeah because playing it safe rather than going all out in the last group stage match that was pretty much won and had a worse climate condition than your toilet is "alarming"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Enigma89 posted:

No need to score more than once. We are fine.

Italy.txt

I did not mean to complain about the careful playstyle at all, just that we only managed to score once from a couple of promising attacks against a not especially well-organized defense.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I love watching German team and hope they win but have questions about lineup:

Why is Lahm playing as a holding mid instead of a fullback while they play Howedes as a fullback? Howedes is normally a CB, right? I know Lahm has been playing as a mid for Bayern but it seems like with all of the great central midfielders Germany has he'd be better used as a fullback. To that end is Khadiera not fully fit yet? He seems like the obvious choice for the holding role.

Why is Podolski starting over both Schurrle and Goetze? I base this off of how they look with their club teams but it really seems like they are both better players especially Goetze.

My German co worker was very excited about Draxler, will he see any significant time?

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

I'd prefer Lahm at fullback myself but so far, eh, I dunno, Boateng and Höwedes have been alright. Lahm out there would provide more attacking options on the wing, but then Khedira would need to be in midfield - and Khedira is poo poo right now, he was injured before the tournament and should've never started. Look at the difference in play and intensity when he went off last match and Schweini (and Klose) came on. Podolski must have something on Löw, IMO.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Löw started Podolski, Schweinsteiger, Lahm and Mertesacker and brought on Klose to get the full summer of '06 retro feel going vs Klinsmann imo

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Na super, Deutschland kriegt das Freilos im Achtelfinale.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Afrika Korps ist wieder

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

beer_war posted:

There's only two matches where both teams are good. You could say similar things about teams playing Greece, Nigeria, Switzerland, USA, Uruguay (w/o Suarez), Costa Rica. But we knew that it would end up like this pretty much from the group draw already.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

beer_war posted:

We got that Freilos when the groups were drawn. Group H was scandalously poo poo, and it wouldn't be any more dangerous if we had gotten Belgium. They struggled against two of the three worst teams in the tournament (Honduras is probably the worst) and also struggled against a kind of bad team (Algeria). Yes, 9 points, bla bla, but I think I'll put money on them losing to Oh Wait I Just Remembered My Grandpa Was Technically A US Citizen Men's National Team.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

elbkaida posted:

There's only two matches where both teams are good. You could say similar things about teams playing Greece, Nigeria, Switzerland, USA, Uruguay (w/o Suarez), Costa Rica. But we knew that it would end up like this pretty much from the group draw already.

Which one is it?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Sereri posted:

Which one is it?

Costa Rica should win this one. They eliminated italy and england.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Never in doubt.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dunban posted:

Never in doubt.

None of the other favorites advanced without difficulties, it's still coming home.

Also, Neuer is crazy. And good.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The gently caress's wrong with that Bela something something guy he was so smugly negative.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Koesj posted:

The gently caress's wrong with that Bela something something guy he was so smugly negative.

Ironic distance has been his thing for a couple of years. He also doesn't give much of a gently caress about pronouncing names correctly, which makes me want to tear my ears out.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Koesj posted:

He's an idiot.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I want to kiss Neuer on his filthy disease-ridden Schalke lips. I predict that I will also want to drink myself to death during and after the France game. This was not a good game at all. What the gently caress was up with those millions of misplaced passes?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Oh yeah, because Pand reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIMmhPghepA

everyone put this on repeat for the rest of the World Cup lmao. What a legend

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Lmao, that's a pissed off Per. :allears:

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
What did Per say when he answered the first question,

Ich bin vollig XXX (sounds like wurst) wir XXXX letzen nacht und es ist?

gently caress me my German is getting bad =\ I understood the rest of it but his first answer not.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

"Das is mir völlig wurscht, wir sind unter den letzten acht und das zählt"

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Enigma89 posted:

What did Per say when he answered the first question,

Something along the lines of "Das ist mir völlig Wurst, wir sind eine Runde weiter." ("I don't give a poo poo, we advanced.")

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

"Ist mir völlig wurst wir sin'jetzt in den letzten acht und das zählt."

"I don't give a gently caress we are among the last eight and that matters."

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Smirr posted:

"Das is mir völlig wurscht, wir sind unter den letzten acht und das zählt"

ah okay thanks. I totally misheard it then

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Smirr posted:

This was not a good game at all. What the gently caress was up with those millions of misplaced passes?

In every game, there are actually two teams on the field, which most Germans continuously fail to realize!

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Big Per is a legend and he's quite right. Only smug assholes expected this game to be a walk in the park, there are no Karnevalstruppen among the last 16 (except Greece). But tell that to paternalistic fucks like Rethy, dear god I wanted to smash my TV or rather iPad since I don't have a tv. Hooo boy those Algerians can actually play football whoda thunkit and the linesmen do such precious work lets all appreciate them for a minute before we start bitching again hyuck hyuck gently caress OFF

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Wengy posted:

Big Per is a legend and he's quite right. Only smug assholes expected this game to be a walk in the park, there are no Karnevalstruppen among the last 16 (except Greece). But tell that to paternalistic fucks like Rethy, dear god I wanted to smash my TV or rather iPad since I don't have a tv. Hooo boy those Algerians can actually play football whoda thunkit and the linesmen do such precious work lets all appreciate them for a minute before we start bitching again hyuck hyuck gently caress OFF

Nice meltdown

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

ephex posted:

Nice meltdown

I'm not ashamed to say that Teutonic smugness makes me melt down on a regular basis!!!!!!!!!!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Still not as bad as Poschmann, whose only comment about Matuidi breaking some Nigerian's ankle was "eh, these things happen; look, he even goes and checks in on him, that's sportsmanship!"

Also, Bundesliga thread crowd (esp. Bayern block): I was wrong about Manuel Neuer. What irritated me about his trips outside the box was that they never seemed to be necessary and thus I considered them risks he didn't need to take, especially since he faffed quite a few of them when he played for Germany (never got scored on though, luckily). However, I now see that if he has to be there (because what the gently caress was Löw thinking with this defence), he is, and there were at least half a dozen saves he didn't have to make because the tackled the striker instead. I understand now that he errs on the side of caution and rather leaves his box one too many times, even if it seems like he wouldn't have to. In conclusion, I was dumb and loving wrong and he's the best keeper in the world.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Katana Gomai posted:

Still not as bad as Poschmann, whose only comment about Matuidi breaking some Nigerian's ankle was "eh, these things happen; look, he even goes and checks in on him, that's sportsmanship!"

Also, Bundesliga thread crowd (esp. Bayern block): I was wrong about Manuel Neuer. What irritated me about his trips outside the box was that they never seemed to be necessary and thus I considered them risks he didn't need to take, especially since he faffed quite a few of them when he played for Germany (never got scored on though, luckily). However, I now see that if he has to be there (because what the gently caress was Löw thinking with this defence), he is, and there were at least half a dozen saves he didn't have to make because the tackled the striker instead. I understand now that he errs on the side of caution and rather leaves his box one too many times, even if it seems like he wouldn't have to. In conclusion, I was dumb and loving wrong and he's the best keeper in the world.

It's okay, you got cool and good opinions on most things football and everybody can be wrong once in a while :)

Playing Big Per in a defensive line that is pushing up very high was a recipe for disaster though.
I love him and now even more after that interview, but goddamn it is he one slow motherfucker.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

In every game, there are actually two teams on the field, which most Germans continuously fail to realize!

Yes I know, but after one half of passing straight to the feet of Algerians who were admittedly pressing very well you'd think the German players would realize that their dumbass artistic through pass attempts only create a lot of counters and not much else. I don't know. Maybe they couldn't have done much else but it was really frustrating to watch.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Germanys game was very static and I caught myself screaming at the fuckers to move just so the player with the ball could find someone to pass to.

Edit: It was a vintage Bayern 2010/11 game at that.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Torrannor posted:

None of the other favorites advanced without difficulties, it's still coming home.

Also, Neuer is crazy. And good.

Yeah, there's pretty much been no team so far that has looked 100% convincing in their matches.

Katana Gomai posted:

Kiss the rings

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

This really showed when the possession and shot stats were shown, and Germany had something like three times as many shots as Algeria. I was sitting there thinking "wait, this game hasn't been that one-sided" and then I remembered just how many times Neuer had come out to prevent an Algerian chance from ever reaching a stage where they could even take a shot.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Yeah, from a combination of bad crosses/passes when in good positions and Neuer racing out to stop a through ball, like 8 of Algerias 10 best chances didn't actually involve a shot on goal at all.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Apparently Mustafi is injured and won't play again this World Cup.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I feel bad for saying this, but that's a good thing. He's not up to the task at all (yet?).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That probably means Lahm at fullback, which is good, but Khedira in midfield, which is bad. If only one of the Bender twins had made it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm still bitter about Reus. And Gündogan of course, both for the BvB and the national team, but he's been injured for so long... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I'm still bitter about Reus. And Gündogan of course, both for the BvB and the national team, but he's been injured for so long... :(

Abandon all hope, he is surely the new Badstuber.

• Locked thread