Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Attorney at Funk posted:

You know what this doesn't sound like? A fetchland reprint.

The first fetchlands were in StandardType II with painlands. Just sayin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GoutPatrol posted:

Flagstones actually really rules in WW, because with the new Legendary rule, you get to keep the new one when you play it and then search for another plains. It is one of white's very few ways to ramp effectively. I'm surprised that more Hatebear/WW decks in Modern aren't playing them because there is really no downside now.

It doesn't "ramp", just thins your deck. You don't search for two plains, since the new land didn't get put into your graveyard at all.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Welp. So much for a cycle of Urborg-likes. At least Urborg itself will drop in price a bit. :sigh:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I wonder what would make them decide to skew mana fixing toward the enemy colors in Standard, but not in Khans block itself.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wait wait, this isn't a reprint is it?

Does that mean what I think it does?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jabor posted:

It doesn't "ramp", just thins your deck. You don't search for two plains, since the new land didn't get put into your graveyard at all.

I think the idea is more tap flagstones, play a 2nd one, send tapped one to the grave and get plains.

Doesn't work like that because the plains ETBs tapped. :ssh:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

I was going to say half of Momentous fall isn't bad for half the cost, but then I read it was a sorcery.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Rinkles posted:

You haven't gotten there yet, but Slivers were in M14.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is it just the enemy painlands coming back, or is there room for the allied painlands as well for the full set of ten? I've never been good at this divination with card #s in sets.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

but Slivers were in M14.

In name (and function) only !

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

Sliver Hive is not a Reprint it's an all new card.

Slivers themselves were in M14 (minorly and Redesigned) and are going to be in M15 (again minorly and some redesigned).

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

I wonder what would make them decide to skew mana fixing toward the enemy colors in Standard, but not in Khans block itself.

They skew it because the slow release of the 3 sets means certain color pairs usually end up having more color fixing in standard than others for significant portions of time.

The first set in Khans will very likely feature 5 allied lands, with the remaining five to come over the next two sets.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

If this was an Instant green would be unstoppable.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

BrokenKnees posted:

IMO Kamigawa also took a hit from being in between Mirrodin and Ravnica blocks. I can't get my hopes up too much for a Return to Kamigawa, but Bushido, Splice/Arcane, Ninjitsu, could come back in the right set or supplemental product.

I would not at all be surprised to see Splice into Instant and reskinned Bushido printed in regular expansions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm talking about the return of the old, oddly cute abomination look, guys.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

GoutPatrol posted:

Flagstones actually really rules in WW, because with the new Legendary rule, you get to keep the new one when you play it and then search for another plains. It is one of white's very few ways to ramp effectively. I'm surprised that more Hatebear/WW decks in Modern aren't playing them because there is really no downside now.

Uh what? So you have a Flagstones out, tap it for mana, then play another Flagstones and sacrifice the first one to the legend rule, which replaces the first Flagstones with a tapped Plains, netting you zero mana. How exactly is it ramping?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

I'm talking about the return of the old, oddly cute abomination look, guys.

Oh. Yeah Slivers are going to run the full gambit of old look to new look and some inbetween now. According to Wizards at least.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

C-Euro posted:

Is it just the enemy painlands coming back, or is there room for the allied painlands as well for the full set of ten? I've never been good at this divination with card #s in sets.

I'm pretty sure its just enemy ones. This was the crunch before Urborg and the pain lands were spoiled.

XX LANDS XX
239 -
240 -
241 -
242 - Darksteel Citadel, Uncommon
243 -
244 -
245 -
246 - Radiant Fountain, Common
247 - Sliver Hive, Rare
248 -
249 -

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BrokenKnees posted:

IMO Kamigawa also took a hit from being in between Mirrodin and Ravnica blocks. I can't get my hopes up too much for a Return to Kamigawa, but Bushido, Splice/Arcane, Ninjitsu, could come back in the right set or supplemental product.

Bushido will probably come back with a new name at some point, like Chroma came back as Devotion.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

How exactly is it ramping?

Cards get a lot better when you can't read them. :v:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rinkles posted:

Forsythe has already confirmed at least 6 sliver cards besides this (an uncommon cycle, and a mythic rare).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

Oh. Yeah Slivers are going to run the full gambit of old look to new look and some inbetween now. According to Wizards at least.

That seems dumb. But better than just sticking with the '14 designs.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Stinky Pit posted:

They skew it because the slow release of the 3 sets means certain color pairs usually end up having more color fixing in standard than others for significant portions of time.

The first set in Khans will very likely feature 5 allied lands, with the remaining five to come over the next two sets.

Is that something they've done historically? It hasn't been the case in recent years.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So we still have 2 lands unaccounted for?

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

jscolon2.0 posted:

I would not at all be surprised to see Splice into Instant and reskinned Bushido printed in regular expansions.

I'd rather not see bushido reskinned, just for some more tribal synergy with the Kamigawa Samurai.

Cernunnos posted:

I know they said that art is commissioned on a short enough timetable to go back to the old look but I hope the current mix of old/new styles for the Sliver is a product of that. The humanoid ones are just, so sad. I know that it makes for a less varied look for Slivers, but I'd say that helps with the whole hive mentality theme.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

So for those wondering, the mothership decided to update 4 hours early. http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-mana-2014-06-27 that's how we got the duals known from wizards, and that it's only the five lands. Also in the article we learned that by this time next week the set will be fully spoiled.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jabor posted:

When you're playing with them, you are supposed to use them like a Nykthos deck now, where you tap the Flags for a mana, then play your land, getting yourself an extra mana for the turn. I would consider that ramping, or the closest equivalent to that in white.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

minusX posted:

So for those wondering, the mothership decided to update 4 hours early. http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-mana-2014-06-27 that's how we got the duals known from wizards, and that it's only the five lands. Also in the article we learned that by this time next week the set will be fully spoiled.

Well, if they gotta keep screwing up, this is definitely the right direction to do it.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

Is that something they've done historically? It hasn't been the case in recent years.

It's something they've talked about just recently as being something they've noticed and have been more cognizant about during the design process.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

GoutPatrol posted:

When you're playing with them, you are supposed to use them like a Nykthos deck now, where you tap the Flags for a mana, then play your land, getting yourself an extra mana for the turn. I would consider that ramping, or the closest equivalent to that in white.

It doesn't get you an extra mana though! It just turns one of your tapped Flagstones into a tapped Plains!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Stinky Pit posted:

It's something they've talked about just recently as being something they've noticed and have been more cognizant about during the design process.

That's interesting. It also suggests a certain strategic commutability between the painlands and whatever they're putting in Khans, meaning they probably won't ETB tapped. Which is good, since a year where 80% of the duals come into play tapped would be terrible.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Painlands are great. Looking forward to M15, I loving love spoiler season.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cernunnos posted:

So we still have 2 lands unaccounted for?

XX LANDS XX
239 -
240 - Battlefield Forge
241 - Caves of Koilos
242 - Darksteel Citadel, Uncommon
243 -
244 - Llanowar Wastes
245 - Radiant Fountain, Common
246 - Shivan Reef
247 - Sliver Hive, Rare
248 - Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
249 - Yavimaya Coast

At least one for sure. 239 could be an artifact.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

That's interesting. It also suggests a certain strategic commutability between the painlands and whatever they're putting in Khans, meaning they probably won't ETB tapped. Which is good, since a year where 80% of the duals come into play tapped would be terrible.

It could be that the Khans allied cycle will be similar to the painlands but different. Maybe we'll see the Grove of the Burnwillows cycle finally get printed. (At bare minimum it seems on-theme for a land formerly infested by dragons to have an everburning forest.)

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

jscolon2.0 posted:

I seriously wonder if we'll ever see DFC's again, since machine readable frames mean you could guarantee both "sides" as separate cards in a booster now.

RELEASE THE BFM

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bugsy posted:

I'm pretty sure its just enemy ones. This was the crunch before Urborg and the pain lands were spoiled.

Doesn't this go against their policy of wanting to make all ten duals of a certain flavor available in the same set? Or is this an exemption due to being a core set/reprints/developed before the policy was put in place?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Doesn't this go against their policy of wanting to make all ten duals of a certain flavor available in the same set? Or is this an exemption due to being a core set/reprints/developed before the policy was put in place?

That policy exists to avoid skewing the mana in Block Constructed formats, like how Innistrad only had enemy duals and Scars of Mirrodin only had ally ones.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Aww yeah, here comes the Valroth's Stronghold reprint :getin:

Or just give me Wasteland. I'd appreciate that.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
For anyone looking to stock up (assuming you don't have dozens of pain lands already) it seems like the best bet is to buy Caves of Koilos, Battlefield Forge, and Llanowar Wastes now, as they're more likely to go up from their current price while Yavimaya Coast and Shivan Reef are more likely to go down. Cardshark vendors have the best prices and haven't updated them quite yet. The eBay sellers seem to be on the ball for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Painlands are great. Looking forward to M15, I loving love spoiler season.

• Locked thread