Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

not gonna lie that would all sound really cool if the trailer weren't so righteously whiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

So apparently it is now considered trolling to ask legitimate questions about a persons political opinions that you disagree with.

quote:

I have plenty of evidence. And nothing opinion based. All statistics, like GDP, unemployement rates, increase in % participation on government assistance, % of monetary increase spent on government assistance, and increase in % of college grades unable to find gainful employment. I just choose not to feed trolls on Facebook who clearly just want to poo poo in someones Cheerios because its fun to there lackluster life.

He has been talking about how Obama is destroying america and I asked him for evidence of this.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

gatesealer posted:

So apparently it is now considered trolling to ask legitimate questions about a persons political opinions that you disagree with.

He has been talking about how Obama is destroying america and I asked him for evidence of this.

I am constantly impressed how Obama managed to fling the country into recession before he even took office.

Guy is good.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I am constantly impressed how Obama managed to fling the country into recession before he even took office.

Guy is good.

it's like we entered some parallel universe when he was elected where the short comings of previous presidents where all Obama's fault.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I've never had a boss that expected me to do as much as I did in high school or held me to the impossibly high standards that some of the teachers did. Sometimes complaining about teachers was totally justified.

There was a great comic strip I saw where it shows the progression of a child to adult. First the child is in kindergarten, and the teacher says "Welcome to Kindergarten, we don't do too much, try not to break anything" then the kid is in elementary school and the teacher says "if you think this is hard, wait till High School!" then at college "if you think this is hard, wait till college!" then at college "If you think this is hard, wait till you have a job!" Then the guy is at his job and his boss is there saying "welcome to your new job, we don't do much here, try not to break anything."

I feel like that's a much better representation of my school and work experience.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

There was a great comic strip I saw where it shows the progression of a child to adult. First the child is in kindergarten, and the teacher says "Welcome to Kindergarten, we don't do too much, try not to break anything" then the kid is in elementary school and the teacher says "if you think this is hard, wait till High School!" then at college "if you think this is hard, wait till college!" then at college "If you think this is hard, wait till you have a job!" Then the guy is at his job and his boss is there saying "welcome to your new job, we don't do much here, try not to break anything."

I feel like that's a much better representation of my school and work experience.

I was thinking of exactly that comic, actually, and here it is!

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1775#comic

And it's ultimately true. I've actually had jobs where the boss specifically said to me "well we need to have a warm body in the building for all eight hours but you only have five hours of actual work to do so either stretch it out or find something else to do." Sometimes I'd invite a friend and eat a pizza or just sit and read for the extra time. The expectations were nowhere near as high as high school led me to believe. Even in jobs where I had actual things to do the entire time as long as nobody died and everything got done the boss just didn't give a poo poo.

Actually my favorite job was unloading trucks, now that I think about it. It was "there are a bunch of things at point A. We want them at point B. Get them there before you clock out." That was it. It was nowhere near as stressful as some of the high school teachers I had and nobody was holding my future hostage for petty reasons. It was just "OK, we'll pay you $X an hour to pick things up from one place and put them in some other place."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sorry to doublepost, but a coworker of mine that I was pretty close to moved across the country to a different department. Afterward he added me on facebook and I got a huge ol' wall of tea party insanity. It was weird because he never really talked about this in person, and I knew he leaned conservative, but... drat. Time to share my favorites!

Hmm... didn't something happen in 2008? Can't wait put my finger on it!

The rest of his wall is Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin worshipping and Obama / Holder hating. Man, it hurts when you find out how insane your friends are :(

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I was thinking of exactly that comic, actually, and here it is!

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1775#comic

And it's ultimately true. I've actually had jobs where the boss specifically said to me "well we need to have a warm body in the building for all eight hours but you only have five hours of actual work to do so either stretch it out or find something else to do." Sometimes I'd invite a friend and eat a pizza or just sit and read for the extra time. The expectations were nowhere near as high as high school led me to believe. Even in jobs where I had actual things to do the entire time as long as nobody died and everything got done the boss just didn't give a poo poo.

Actually my favorite job was unloading trucks, now that I think about it. It was "there are a bunch of things at point A. We want them at point B. Get them there before you clock out." That was it. It was nowhere near as stressful as some of the high school teachers I had and nobody was holding my future hostage for petty reasons. It was just "OK, we'll pay you $X an hour to pick things up from one place and put them in some other place."

This is my experience. I've never been lucky enough to land an office job but even on the grunt jobs the biggest expectations are "dress appropriately", "don't insult customers to their face" and "don't break poo poo". That and I've never had a teacher share his pot with me. Then again my jobs are "Be the white guy on the landscaping crew who can't pretend he doesn't know English", "Pizza delivery", "Bread Slicer" and "Free Sample Guy".

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

There is an interesting correlation I've found between how hard you're expected to work, and how much you're paid for it.

When I worked in food service and retail making minimum wage, my bosses were on me like flies on poo poo. "If there's time to lean, there's time to clean" and all that.

Now I have a job as a server tech making almost twice as much (without a degree or certifications, no less) and my job consists almost entirely of sitting around not breaking things. Sometimes I fix things that are broken. Right now I'm waiting for my boss to bring me more not-broken things, which I will put in the easiest available location and then touch as little as possible in the coming months.

I'm also getting paid overtime to shitpost.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

I actually saw an image like this on my (very partisan Democratic) grandfather's wall, where the 2008/now statistics were basically inverted. Now I'm wondering which is the edit and which is the original.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

gatesealer posted:

it's like we entered some parallel universe when he was elected where the short comings of previous presidents where all Obama's fault.

Well, it was either Obama or his immediate predecessor Bill Clinton, whom we also hate. It's not as if there was some other president between them who could have been responsible.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Someone posted this video on Facebook and it got erased from the group before I could touch the poop but it's pretty dumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imw8YGyPgk4&feature=kp

It Only Took This Army Vet 3 Minutes To Destroy Obama’s Gun Control Plan

My takeaway from this is that you're not allowed to have an opinion on the state of the country unless you've served. That's a good standard to set.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Buzkashi posted:

Someone posted this video on Facebook and it got erased from the group before I could touch the poop but it's pretty dumb.

My takeaway from this is that you're not allowed to have an opinion on the state of the country unless you've served. That's a good standard to set.

I'm a veteran and I give you 100% permission to have opinions on the state of the country. I'll even give you permission to give other people this same permission.

If anyone gives you a hard time, tell them that they're making GBS threads on my military service.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Alkydere posted:

This is my experience. I've never been lucky enough to land an office job but even on the grunt jobs the biggest expectations are "dress appropriately", "don't insult customers to their face" and "don't break poo poo". That and I've never had a teacher share his pot with me. Then again my jobs are "Be the white guy on the landscaping crew who can't pretend he doesn't know English", "Pizza delivery", "Bread Slicer" and "Free Sample Guy".

protastic posted:

There is an interesting correlation I've found between how hard you're expected to work, and how much you're paid for it.
When I worked in food service and retail making minimum wage, my bosses were on me like flies on poo poo. "If there's time to lean, there's time to clean" and all that.
Now I have a job as a server tech making almost twice as much (without a degree or certifications, no less) and my job consists almost entirely of sitting around not breaking things. Sometimes I fix things that are broken. Right now I'm waiting for my boss to bring me more not-broken things, which I will put in the easiest available location and then touch as little as possible in the coming months.
I'm also getting paid overtime to shitpost.

Neither of these narratives are necessarily representative of everyone's work or education experiences. Your own experiences can be used to paint with too broad a brush compared with those of others.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm a veteran and I give you 100% permission to have opinions on the state of the country. I'll even give you permission to give other people this same permission.

If anyone gives you a hard time, tell them that they're making GBS threads on my military service.

One thing I will never, ever understand are people that constantly scream poo poo that basically means "people fought and died for you to have this freedom that you are exercising, you are disrespecting them by exercising it."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One thing I will never, ever understand are people that constantly scream poo poo that basically means "people fought and died for you to have this freedom that you are exercising, you are disrespecting them by exercising it."

Don't use those freedoms, those are our good freedoms! We need them for when we have guests over!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I mean, you have the freedom to stand on a street corner screaming "I hate Jews!" all day, but that doesn't mean you should. It's fair to say that you should use your freedoms responsibly. It's just that we disagree on what constitutes irresponsibility.

Edit:

quote:

"My right trumps your dead." It blows my mind that someone who says this is not immediately seen as a sociopath. I also like his proposed "make politicians with no law enforcement training lead the police in raids" act. I'm not even sure what the point of that was.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 27, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Jurgan posted:

Well, it was either Obama or his immediate predecessor Bill Clinton, whom we also hate. It's not as if there was some other president between them who could have been responsible.

In fairness blaming Bush for the 2008 financial crisis and resulting recession is not very sound either; it's a complex situation with a variety of factors involved in a lack of understanding of the scale and scope of systemic risk, poorly incentivized ratings agencies, very large incentives for banks to make terrible loans so they could sell them off to investors, the housing bubble as a consequence of our national obsession with the American Dream being home ownership and low interest rates, increasing debt held at the family and individual level due to stagnating wages, and regulatory capture preventing what few regulators did try to work on various aspects of the problem from doing too much. Among other factors.

Basically this:

Though Iraq is one you could definitely focus on the former President and holy poo poo are Republicans trying to whitewash that one now. "We were at the finish line and Obama came and kneecapped us and now Iraq is dying THANKS OBAMA."

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 27, 2014

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

In fairness blaming Bush for the 2008 financial crisis and resulting recession is not very sound either; it's a complex situation with a variety of factors involved in a lack of understanding of the scale and scope of systemic risk, poorly incentivized ratings agencies, very large incentives for banks to make terrible loans so they could sell them off to investors, the housing bubble as a consequence of our national obsession with the American Dream being home ownership and low interest rates, increasing debt held at the family and individual level due to stagnating wages, and regulatory capture preventing what few regulators did try to work on various aspects of the problem from doing too much. Among other factors.

Basically this:

Well, yes, that's true. I wouldn't put all the blame on Bush, though I might argue he ignored the warning signs while the problem was brewing (there's certainly precedent for him doing that). My point was more that they seem to assume anything bad happening now must be Obama's fault, and anything bad that happened during Bush's terms must have been Clinton's fault, but nothing was ever Bush's fault.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jurgan posted:

I mean, you have the freedom to stand on a street corner screaming "I hate Jews!" all day, but that doesn't mean you should. It's fair to say that you should use your freedoms responsibly. It's just that we disagree on what constitutes irresponsibility.

Generally speaking, somebody saying "you are disrespecting the troops" in that situation is not concerned about the honor of the dead soldiers but rather "this person did a thing I do not like and I feel the need to shame them." It makes me think of the post-9/11 world and how often people that disagreed with anything Bush did were accused of disrespecting the troops. Which was kind of my point; it's fine to disagree with the government or speak out that you do but often "respect the troops that died so you can have nice freedoms" is twisted into "if you disagree with me you are a horrible America-hating jerk that is disrespecting the soldiers that died to make the country what it is."

The right has been circulating this garbage forever. "We must support the troops!" apparently means "don't you dare criticize the PATRIOT act you prole."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You forgot the part where disagreeing with Republicans makes you a phony soldier and possibly a traitor, you proven traitor you.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Buzkashi posted:

My takeaway from this is that you're not allowed to have an opinion on the state of the country unless you've served.* That's a good standard to set.

*and aren't trans.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Not to get all "NO gently caress YOU DAD" in the thread, but I was talking to my dad about the Hobby Lobby case explaining in my view about how it leaves Pandora's box open for companies to not comply with any kind of law they don't like under the guise of religion, from not covering AIDS drugs for gay people, or pregnancy coverage for unwed mothers, blood transfusions for Jehovah's witnesses, etc.

His response, literally verbatim, was "well they'll just quit and get a new job at a different place" to which I pointed out not everyone has that luxury.

To which he said, "fine then if enough people disagree with the company they will boycott it and they'll go out of business"

I asked him if it was just simpler to cover everyone equally under the law and he went on some jag about how I trust the government to much, personal freedoms, etc.

Anywhere I can go with this? Right now I can't seem to break through pointing out the obvious pitfalls to religious exemptions. I know he won't go for the argument about how allowing a company (versus an individual) to do this would be unprecedented.

He's going to want to talk about it more Monday when the decision is announced and his views just make me :psyduck:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Hypothetically, if declaring a corporation to be Jehovah's Witness or whatever is okay, wouldn't companies be obligated to their shareholders to convert to the most economical religion?

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
If a Saudi oil company purchased an American retailer, would you be okay with them forcing all employees to convert to Islam or be fired?

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hypothetically, if declaring a corporation to be Jehovah's Witness or whatever is okay, wouldn't companies be obligated to their shareholders to convert to the most economical religion?

Christian Scientists and Seventh Day Advent is ts are at the top of the pool currently.

One doesn't believe in health care and the other is anti union.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

VitalSigns posted:

You forgot the part where disagreeing with Republicans makes you a phony soldier and possibly a traitor, you proven traitor you.

Honestly, I doubt any servicemen regularly posting here minds too much about being branded as a traitor by the kind of people that literally go around waving flags celebrating the treason of their ancestors.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Xarthor posted:

Anywhere I can go with this? Right now I can't seem to break through pointing out the obvious pitfalls to religious exemptions. I know he won't go for the argument about how allowing a company (versus an individual) to do this would be unprecedented.

He's going to want to talk about it more Monday when the decision is announced and his views just make me :psyduck:

Tell him that businesses require licenses to run, and in signing up to get said license, you are agreeing to follow the rules businesses have to follow. One of them is you don't get to poo poo on people because your owner happens to be religion X and religion X hates Y. Try and make it into a 'signing a contract' agreement. That's the only thing I can think of.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Sir Rolo posted:

If a Saudi oil company purchased an American retailer, would you be okay with them forcing all employees to convert to Islam or be fired?

This is the best approach always for any defense of or desire for a privileged position for conservative beliefs. Either you'll get a "well I uh" response or you'll get them going all christian nation on you. Either they've got to back down or double down.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Does sharia or the Koran say anything about health coverage?

I ask because I agree that going to Islam as a rebuttal is fantastic for responding to lovely American conservatives, but forcing employees to convert to Islam isn't really an apt comparison since Hobby Lobby isn't trying to force their employees to actually convert to their particular brand of Christianity, just that they shouldn't have to give them health care that contradicts their dumb beliefs.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Does sharia or the Koran say anything about health coverage?

I ask because I agree that going to Islam as a rebuttal is fantastic for responding to lovely American conservatives, but forcing employees to convert to Islam isn't really an apt comparison since Hobby Lobby isn't trying to force their employees to actually convert to their particular brand of Christianity, just that they shouldn't have to give them health care that contradicts their dumb beliefs.

Well, change it to "if the owner of a company is an avowed Atheist, should he be allowed to fire people for being Christian/wanting time off on Christmas"?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ArchangeI posted:

Well, change it to "if the owner of a company is an avowed Atheist, should he be allowed to fire people for being Christian/wanting time off on Christmas"?

Unfortunately Christmas is a federal holiday in the United States so that doesn't work. Easter however works perfectly well.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
boil it down even more, you are basically saying that your bosses religion trumps the employees religion.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mooseontheloose posted:

boil it down even more, you are basically saying that your bosses religion trumps the employees religion.

As long as the boss is Christian, I don't see the problem. :colbert:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

The account I read in the washington post stated only lerner's computer crashed, and that the correspondence in question was what couldn't be covered by their backup maintenance system and from other computers. Basically, they don't try to permanently keep all records, and they were only able to recover stuff from other people who had been the recipients/senders of emails that passed through Lerner's system, by going to their computers.

I can't find the article now, though-my search results are clogged with right wing coverage and conflict coverage that doesn't discuss what actually happened. It might be productive to ask Dante where he heard this 7 computers part.

Update: He linked these
http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/the-five/article/2014/06/25/gutfeld-coincidence-or-cover-irs
http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/26/meet-the-seven-irs-employees-whose-computers-crashed/

I'm not sure I want to engage further when his source of news is an article by Greg loving Gutfeld. He did leave a disclaimer though

quote:

(I don't tend to like Fox, but this one was one of the first google responses. I will note, however, that the other news outlets are basically completely ignoring the whole thing, making finding press releases from them difficult.)

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Jurgan posted:

"My right trumps your dead." It blows my mind that someone who says this is not immediately seen as a sociopath. I also like his proposed "make politicians with no law enforcement training lead the police in raids" act. I'm not even sure what the point of that was.

Basically he's saying that he thinks gun owners would be understandably expected to murder a government employee who had come to confiscate their illegal weapons, because that's what rational people do.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ArchangeI posted:

The standard of proof is so high that for most workers discrimination law is not enforceable in practice. So yeah!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Update: He linked these
http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/the-five/article/2014/06/25/gutfeld-coincidence-or-cover-irs
http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/26/meet-the-seven-irs-employees-whose-computers-crashed/

I'm not sure I want to engage further when his source of news is an article by Greg loving Gutfeld. He did leave a disclaimer though

http://www.vox.com/2014/6/23/5834518/irs-lois-lerner-missing-emails

quote:

What are the emails in question?

GOP-led House committees have requested documents from various agencies and individuals since the scandal broke — the IRS says it has already spent $10 million complying with such requests. But particular suspicion has always focused on the director of the relevant IRS unit, Lois Lerner, who was placed on administrative leave shortly after the scandal broke, and has since retired. Though Lerner has repeatedly said she's done nothing illegal, she has twice pled the Fifth to avoid answering questions under oath from Congressional committees. And in May, the House of Representatives voted to hold her in contempt of Congress, because of her refusal to cooperate with the investigation.

At first, the IRS used search terms to narrow down and provide the relevant Lerner emails to the inspector general and Congress — in 2013, the agency handed over more than 10,000 emails Lerner sent or received. But GOP committee chairs Darrell Issa and Dave Camp weren't satisfied, and wanted to see all of Lerner's emails since 2009. Early in 2014, the IRS finally agreed to supply them all, and set about collecting them — an expensive, time-consuming process. According to the agency, while doing so, it realized that many of Lerner's emails prior to April 2011 were missing, and sought to ascertain why.

Last week, the IRS told Congress of its findings — Lerner's computer crashed in mid-2011, and many of her emails appear to be gone. The agency did manage to reconstruct and supply some of them by pulling them from other employees' accounts — and 67,000 emails that Lerner wrote or received were handed over. But Congressional Republicans were unsatisfied, to say the least, as you can see in this angry statement from Rep. Paul Ryan:

[video]

The GOP are costing the American taxpayers millions of dollars chasing after what they hope is a scandal for political purposes. I also haven't seen anything about 7 computers, it all seems centered around GOP desire to find an email from POTUS to Lerner saying "kill all tea party groups lolololo" and then Lerner responding "yes king obama".

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

http://www.vox.com/2014/6/23/5834518/irs-lois-lerner-missing-emails

The GOP are costing the American taxpayers millions of dollars chasing after what they hope is a scandal for political purposes. I also haven't seen anything about 7 computers, it all seems centered around GOP desire to find an email from POTUS to Lerner saying "kill all tea party groups lolololo" and then Lerner responding "yes king obama".

This is one of a growing number of scandal-hunts where if they don't find anything it's just further proof of how things are being covered up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity

Xarthor posted:

how it leaves Pandora's box open for companies to not comply with any kind of law they don't like under the guise of religion, from not covering AIDS drugs for gay people, or pregnancy coverage for unwed mothers, blood transfusions for Jehovah's witnesses, etc.

As I understand it, the government can still force a business to do something that violates "its beliefs", but that imposition has to be the least burdensome way possible. At least, that was the argument pro-Hobby Lobby a few months ago.
I'm not a lawyer, but the anxiety about businesses declaring certain beliefs to game the system seems unfounded. The Religious Freedom Restoration Act was passed in 1993, and the Hobby Lobby ruling isn't correcting any previous court cases, right? So where has the abuse been all this time? (Assuming goons don't consider the contraception thing such an example.)
edit; forgot the ruling hasn't come out yet, can't tell yet.

Time to read Zinn fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 27, 2014