Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
Swordsman 1v1 Tier List According to My Dumb rear end

So I've been spending a great deal of time trying to understand the combat system in Swordsman. Most of it has been spent 1v1 dueling, and I can flat out say the game is NOT balanced with that in mind. Some classes are far and away better than others. Keep in mind however that many of the videos I have seen have involved 3v3 arenas, open world pvp, battlefield pvp, guild vs guild, and all that. 1v1 is just a small facet of the game, and the classes that excel in that can, in some cases, be very useless in group PvP and PvE.

1v1 PvP in Swordsman SEEMS complex, but it really boils down to two factors. The first is how easy it is for your class to land your "hard" CC. Hard CC is either an "Acupuncture" (sap), a Headshot (Stun), or a Pull. The second factor is how much damage you can deal following up that stun to a single target. Most of the high damage abilities are targeted in an area, and have a long wind up time, but once you're caught in them you are hosed.

Please keep in mind that this is my personal opinion after loving around in the arena for a while, and there may be a lot of stuff I'm missing. This is based on level 40 PvP in the stat equalizing 1v1 arena. Nobody has the lost skills yet, which may make some other things viable. Nobody is level 60 either, which opens up two more skill slots that may open more tactical possibilities.

SO, without further disclaimers:

1. Harmony - Harmony has a ranged, unblockable, targeted flash step skill that also acupunctures you. They can then follow it up with an easy combo that knocks off over 50% of your HP and blinds you. It is as annoying as it sounds. The only defense is to jump, since it can't hit you in the air.

2. Sun Moon Cult - If they hit you with their ranged pull, you can get combo'd for about 80% of your life with a few lucky crits, and at least 50% without any. It hurts that bad. Not only that, but the time on it is long enough that they can pull you again very shortly after. The only reason they're below Harmony is the pull cooldown is longer and I BELIEVE it can be blocked. It doesn't hit you in the air either, so that's nice.

3. Zephyr - They have an EXTREMELY fast acupuncture skill that can hit you in the air, and they can follow it up with an unstoppable combo for at least 50% of your hp. Not only that, but they have other abilities they can just throw in while fighting to keep you at a distance. Nasty. Their acupuncture can be blocked however.

4. Five Venoms - Hello infinite combo. Their pull seems to be easier to dodge than Sun Moon, but if you get stuck in it they can put an area on the ground that freezes you, poisons you, sets you on fire, and ruins your loving day after they stomp on your nuts.

5. Tongmen - Headshot loving sucks. They can snipe you, which stuns you, then root you, then toss a bunch of bullets on your face. They can also put down mines that acupuncture you and allow them to put more bullets into your face. Only reason they're not higher is that if you can stay on them you can murder them, and their followup combo isn't as damaging as the others.

6. Splendor - Apparently they used to be a lot better, but got nerfed. Their acupuncture isn't as easy to hit as others, but their followup is very damaging. Their real strength lies in their mobility and their grab abilities allowing them to stop the actions of others. Would be a lot higher if their acupuncture was easier to hit.

7. Emei - Have a ranged grab similar to Venoms and Sun Moon, but can't poo poo out as much damage as they can or lockdown as hard as they can. Still, they can potentially knock off 50% of your HP in a combo, and they can heal, which is nice.

8. Infinity - They have a counter attack that teleports and acupunctures, and a secondary ability that's a normal acupuncture attack. Sounds great right? Except the counter to counter attacks is acupuncture, and the animation that you are "counter ready" is very obvious. Their regular acupuncture attack is also very long animation, and their followup damage isn't that great unless you use an ability with a 60 second cooldown.

9. Wutang - Their entire CC schtick is based around sticking their sword in the ground, and moving it around like the Orianna ball from League of Legends. If you get stuck in it, they can knock you prone, acupuncture you, or do all sorts of nasty things. Still it's much easier to avoid than the other schools, and even if they do get you their damage output isn't great.

10. Shaolin - Sadly the worst at 1v1 PVP in my opinion. Their acupuncture, despite being long range has a very long and obvious animation, and although their damage output is great they need to hit with CC to set up their combo. Best thing they have going for them is a very fast long range grab where they smack you around in the air, but they can't easily follow up on it.

So yeah that's about the long and short of it if you're into 1v1 PvP. Please keep in mind that in any group situation or PvE, this list would be drat near close to reversed in terms of ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Haroshia posted:

All kinds of words

A nice little note to everyone playing swordsman and seeing the CC effects determine 1v1s. At level 50 you are allowed to use a skill that expends focus in order to break CC as well as make you immune to CC for some period of time. I asked some Viet about it and they responded with the phrase "Its a magic carpet ride". And here I didn't think they liked freedom and Disney movies.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I had some family poo poo to do, so I wasn't around for most of the guild event time but we got 20 more minutes.

I also assigned a second in command who would bitch loud enough so they could start events since our other one wasn't online.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Drinkfist posted:

A nice little note to everyone playing swordsman and seeing the CC effects determine 1v1s. At level 50 you are allowed to use a skill that expends focus in order to break CC as well as make you immune to CC for some period of time. I asked some Viet about it and they responded with the phrase "Its a magic carpet ride". And here I didn't think they liked freedom and Disney movies.

Good to know. Adds a bit more depth to it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Getting dogpiled by Shu while we were doing the massacre event was definitely an awesome cycle of dying to one-hit kills earlier

MeiFatDong, by the way.

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

Hua sucked. Slapzilla got fourth place. I got the Beast Villa feint. Game is still bad.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Swordsman online: FOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Haro lead a hijack that got us the development we needed for level 3 guild, that allowed us to start building the gangster inn and the feast plaza, (and since from raiding other bases I have too much stone to use I dumped it all in the guild) so we immediately held a feast.

we could go and get food ingredients from a vat, then every minute give a food ingredient to a person who wanted it, there was two tiers of food and the higher one gave better experience (5000 exp for low tier, 7000 for high tier) and both gave kung fu points. If you sat at the table you got a buff that lasts for an hour, that every ten seconds you get 640 experience. For scale killing one enemy at 43 for me gives 400 exp. SO 1 minute = 6 procs of 640, 60 * 6 * 640 = 230,400 EXP total. If you log off it persists at the time it was at. Afterwords any of the leftovers, if you had a stack of at least 30 you could drop in a bucket for compost or something, and you got guild credit from that.

We ALSO now have a gangster inn, so instead of turning poo poo in at the random bandits, we can hand them in to our base for "Better rewards" whatever that is.

Edit: Oh right, also at level 3 in the guild you can smack the financial manager and tell him to give you experience, I got 57,000 exp from that too but it seems variable.

Forer fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 22, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Sunday, 1400 server / est we will have the option to fight for land. We don't really know how it works yet but we can fight for Twilight Ridge or Harmony City Outskirts.

We will see what this is about then.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Just hit 30 for the first time - while 1-20 seems really iffy, 20-30 is when i started to see the potential fun in the game's combat, and then when you hit 30 pvp is amazingly fun and it seals it as a worthwhile game for me. Plus, the dumb story is somehow pretty entertaining despite being largely incomprehensible, haha.

Splendor is just ridicuous in pvp - dash attacks, grabs, tackles - so deliciously annoying.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I wasnt really feeling 5 poisons at first but the second set really opened me up to them and I'm loving it. Harmony's second set is baller as gently caress as well but they are really fragile. Never meshed with infinity though, their counter mechanics might be interesting in pve but I doubt they'll be all that useful in pvp, their damage is pretty mediocre and if I wanted a baller tank I'd play a wudang.

Really hard to decide which of the two to keep since I like them both, Im assuming Harmony will be flavor of the monthlike so I'll probably stick to 5 poison. I'll give zephyr and splendor a try during the next beta phase.

I hope that the scryee/dollar is close to 100/1 because paying 50 cents for 5 more bag space owns. I wish AoW had something like that instead of its horrible bag system.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Graphics bug after tabbing in from Age of Empires 2

Got this with my usual "flourishing" messages yesterday :confused:

MichaelRomeo was UPSET that goons were killing him repeatedly. Then he started attacking me every time he respawned so I was killing him with level 1 dog beating staff for a joke.

Tangmen opening quests for 4th inner are weird

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We are going to test the whole map dominator sunday thing in about 30 minutes and could use a few more online.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Bidding info

During the bidding round of 10 minutes, we can drop points on a location and we will not get our points back until after the bidding round. We dropped all of our points on Harmony outs and that was that.

Will update here in a bit.

EDIT: after 10 minutes the next two zones came up for bidding. Neither of which we had power over.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 22, 2014

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Do we have a black gold guild? Made by the same people as wushu.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

ShadowMoo posted:

Do we have a black gold guild? Made by the same people as wushu.

Why would you want to play another mmo by snail? The setting and it being kung fu is the only good part of wushu.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

randombattle posted:

Why would you want to play another mmo by snail? The setting and it being kung fu is the only good part of wushu.

Absolutely this a thousand times over.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm going to maintain that Splendor is the least good at PVP overall, and I will explain why.

Now see, I generally agree with Haroshia that Splendor is eh in 1v1 from what I've played. That acupuncture is horrendous.

The problem is, they're supposed to be good at 1v1 at the expense of being not so great at group contributions, since all they really do is damage. They don't do interesting status effects or anything.

What, is another guy going to lock them down for you so you can do huge damage? Other schools do damage better (Sun Moon, which also has an AOE move which locks enemy attacks). What does Splendor have to contribute?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

So as we were saying.

Swordsman Online apparently loves guild base chaos. During an event we started our bandit camp got zerged by a fuckton of hostle npc mobs and some huge rear end bosses. Our numbers were too low to hold off the onslaught and to make matters worse Grithok released sensitive information to the pubs and they declared war on us while the even was still in progress. So the state of the bandit camp was totally hosed to say the least.

Now Shitlord Mcgee is off trying to figure out the science behind his horoscope and poo poo just keeps getting stranger when he learned that at lvl 50 you are allowed to take players as your disciple and encourage them giving them a 15% Xp boost as well as a pile of xp.

So this game is gonna look like some hosed up player family tree by the end of it where you got your friends, gang members, masters, disciples, guild members and alliance members.

:getin:

Also if you want the Jack of all trades school go E'mei. Their first set is heals, the second is bleed palm and the third is psychic/sun powers. Heal/Melee/Range.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 26, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

so since we've been gone

The issue with action mode tool tips. On the right that is under the cursor and fucks up your ability to aim right or down.

Lost arts are jianghu skills from wushu, individual skills you can pick up. You need volume 1, volume 2, and 30 pages. The volumes are either bought from the rare vendor (3 skills total there) for unbound or earned from a world without evil which is a group quest from the bamboo event.

If a group of six does the bamboo event, you have six bosses where each person can get the quest at the same time if they are near the group leader as the group leader picks up the quest. You get 60 minutes to kill each boss in the world and they are locked to your team so no one else can damage them. Complete that, go back to the quest npc, transfer leadership, and have the next guy pick up the quest. Repeat this.

Once you get the volumes, you need to go get divinated in luoyang. If you get the proper rarity of divination, you get 12 hours to find and complete a quest to get your skill. You can get divinated 3 times a day. The skills are level 50 or level 60.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 26, 2014

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
I got accused repeatedly (don't feel like screencapping chengdu scene because it's full of WTS/WTB bullshit) by ruixue of using a hack.

What was this hack? Using yanyang blade red armor to avoid a knockdown that I saw coming from a loving mile away. DIRTY RED ARMOR HACKS gently caress GOONS

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Haquer posted:

I got accused repeatedly (don't feel like screencapping chengdu scene because it's full of WTS/WTB bullshit) by ruixue of using a hack.

What was this hack? Using yanyang blade red armor to avoid a knockdown that I saw coming from a loving mile away. DIRTY RED ARMOR HACKS gently caress GOONS

If you beat someone else then you're cheating.

If you lose to them then you are a scrub noob who should lick dog.

It's really simple duuuuh.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Swordsman Online

They released the dates for the Open Beta.

Open Beta starts on the July 3rd, Early Access (Buy Hero (~ 50 €) or Starter (~ 9 €) pack before the end of the 29th) starts on July 1st.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

Randler posted:

Open Beta starts on the July 3rd, Early Access (Buy Hero (~ 50 €) or Starter (~ 9 €) pack before the end of the 29th) starts on July 1st.

Note that you can buy the starter pack multiple times to get that 15 slot bag twice for example.

I believe i'll be going Emei also since i got my rear end handed from one in a duel more than any other class so far, also they seem to have good aoe damage.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You can also expand your inventory by 5 slots for 50 cents.

Haro, we are still working on the op how is this.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

You can also expand your inventory by 5 slots for 50 cents.

Haro, we are still working on the op how is this.

Glorious.

Pikaoh
Sep 21, 2009

Hey folks, Fake Ronnie here.
As requested, I'm wanting to join with username "Pikaoh."

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

I have to say that 9 dollar pack is pretty garbage, the only good thing is that loving bag, and the sad thing is, probably worth the 9 dollars.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What do people think of Wutang anyway?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

HEY HARO.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 27, 2014

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Shaolin so good they get listed twice.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Fixed it so you got your steamed meat buns.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Haroshia posted:

Shaolin so good they get listed twice.

Just like in age of oh nobody'd believe THAT.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Hey man just give it like 8 months and their internal will be really good! (The rest of the class will still be poo poo though)

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Tallgeese posted:

What do people think of Wutang anyway?

It's for the children

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

If you don't come play with us I will be sad.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Wushu decides to let the whales spend their mountain of gold. Full Moon Scimitar, Wind God lore, and scimitar lores. The set looks both cool and annoying. The gold sword is fancy but not worth $200.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

FebrezeNinja posted:

Wushu decides to let the whales spend their mountain of gold. Full Moon Scimitar, Wind God lore, and scimitar lores. The set looks both cool and annoying. The gold sword is fancy but not worth $200.

God that costume looks really familiar. Where have I seen it before.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Haroshia posted:

God that costume looks really familiar. Where have I seen it before.

I made this comparison pages ago :colbert:

Seriously though, massive PoP 2008 ripoff, well done Snail.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Haquer posted:

I made this comparison pages ago :colbert:

Seriously though, massive PoP 2008 ripoff, well done Snail.

You know, Ubisoft are pretty litigious about these things, and that's a rather unique design. I mean Snail's even has the metal glove. I wonder how they'd react to their IP being used in another videogame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Haroshia posted:

You know, Ubisoft are pretty litigious about these things, and that's a rather unique design. I mean Snail's even has the metal glove. I wonder how they'd react to their IP being used in another videogame?

What's better is that Ubisoft has a Shanghai branch and you know they had to have heard of this before since chinagame is popular over there.

Maybe they just want people to forget the game exists? :v: