Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

twistedmentat posted:

So I'm reading Dark Reign, and what the hell kind of hair are the Osborns supposed to have? It looks like cornrows, but I suspect its supposed to be super short but super curly hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

So I'm reading Dark Reign, and what the hell kind of hair are the Osborns supposed to have? It looks like cornrows, but I suspect its supposed to be super short but super curly hair.

Osborn's hair is supposed to be slicked back waves.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Google search "John Oxendine" because he has exactly this sort of hair and ran for Senate a couple years ago and looks like a chunky Norman Osborn. I would post a photo but you'd think it was some sort of Photoshop gag.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its also one of those things where it was originally drawn a certain way and then subsequent artists copied it without knowing what Ditko was going for and so it became more and more exaggerated until you end up with cornrows.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Edge & Christian posted:

Google search "John Oxendine" because he has exactly this sort of hair and ran for Senate a couple years ago and looks like a chunky Norman Osborn. I would post a photo but you'd think it was some sort of Photoshop gag.

This is probably exactly what Ditko was going for. As the style at the time for Madison avenue folks, where Marvel is HQ'd was slicked back with enough brillcream to start a uncontrolled blaze, he probably saw a number of guys with this hair around.

It could be drawn in a way to indicate what it is, but its better to copy Ditko's art.

About Dark Reign, what happened to Tony and didn't real cap come back after being captured by the Skrulls? I remember at the end of Secret Invasion when Tony crashed the prison ship with everyone on it, Cap was there. But the Captain America that's shown up in the issues is Bucky Cap.

It does seem weird that Tony and the Avengers just moved out, and Osborn and the Thunderbolt Avengers move in with all the Stark stuff still there.

The Spiderman story in it was pretty awesome, love him getting Reed to make him a Venom costume.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty sure Cap was still "dead" during that time.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

twistedmentat posted:

It could be drawn in a way to indicate what it is, but its better to copy Ditko's art.

About Dark Reign, what happened to Tony and didn't real cap come back after being captured by the Skrulls? I remember at the end of Secret Invasion when Tony crashed the prison ship with everyone on it, Cap was there. But the Captain America that's shown up in the issues is Bucky Cap.

It does seem weird that Tony and the Avengers just moved out, and Osborn and the Thunderbolt Avengers move in with all the Stark stuff still there.
That wasn't really Captain America on the prison ship. There were a bunch of fake Skrull "returned" heroes alongside the real heroes actually kidnapped by Skrulls (I think Mockingbird, Spider-Woman, Elektra(?), Hank Pym and Black Bolt were the only major people really replaced?) so at the end of Secret Invasion/start of Dark Reign Steve Rogers is still dead. He doesn't come back until Siege.

The Skrulls hacked into Tony's Extreme Starktech or whatever during Secret Invasion which lets them invade and messed him up badly, so that at the end of Secret Invasion he was basically discredited and brain damaged. He's off on the run trying to reboot his brain or something for the length of Dark Reign. Since about half of the Avengers were already outlaws after Civil War, the remaining Avengers at the end of Secret Invasion were the Wasp (who dies/'dies'), Ares and Sentry (who go along with Osborn's Avengers), and Wonder Man and Ms. Marvel who quit after putting up a vain fight. The idea was that when Stark took over as head of SHIELD he consolidated all the Avengers property/rights into SHIELD, so when the government appointed Norman Osborn as the head of SHIELD/HAMMER, random Avengers didn't have any recourse. THANKS OBAMA.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah that makes sense. And yea I remember Tony being freaked the gently caress out during the last act of Secret Invasion, starting from when the Skrull Queen trying to convince him that he was a Skrull, because all his actions helped them out. Though by the finale battle it seemed he'd recovered, probably not enough though.

And okay, it wasn't clear because as you pointed out, Spiderwoman, Mockingbird, Sue and a number of the other from that ship were the origonal ones, so I assumed all the others were too. Plus at that point poo poo was confusing as hell. That first ship that was full of a lot of people in their old outfits like ms marvel and Luke Cage was really confusing, until people started dieing and there was a vague idea of who was a Skrull.

I ready the whole New Avengers run from when Luke is given the team, so I saw them hiding out from The Thunderbolt Avengers.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Loved Ms. Marvel #5.

How's Alan Davis's Savage Hulk?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is Nova any good? I'm loving the character in things like Original Sin, but Loeb makes me wary for obvious reasons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unmature posted:

Is Nova any good? I'm loving the character in things like Original Sin, but Loeb makes me wary for obvious reasons.

Yeah it's really good actually.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Unmature posted:

Nova is excellent from the very start.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Plus Loeb wasn't on it for very long. He left after issue 5. Duggan recently started writing it. I don't remember who wrote it between them, but it's been consistently good the whole way through.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

Plus Loeb wasn't on it for very long. He left after issue 5. Duggan recently started writing it. I don't remember who wrote it between them, but it's been consistently good the whole way through.

Zeb Wells iirc.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Diet Poison posted:

The Loeb issues were really good too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Still miss Richard Rider though :sigh:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

zoux posted:

Still miss Richard Rider though :sigh:

Yeah. :sigh:

I guess we'll find out what the deal is next month.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Schneider Heim posted:

Loved Ms. Marvel #5.

I really loved the scene with Kamala and her father. You rarely see teenage girls, or hell any female characters, shown to have good relationships with their father.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

How's Alan Davis's Savage Hulk?

It's like Savage Wolverine, random stories from random time periods. The first issue takes place back when Hulk had no control and the O5 X-Men were still around. When Beast was still just a white dude, and Jean was there. Not really worth picking up imo. (unless you really want Hulk)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I really loved the scene with Kamala and her father. You rarely see teenage girls, or hell any female characters, shown to have good relationships with their father.

Hell, you rarely see male characters have good relationships with their fathers in superhero comics. Of course it helps that usually their fathers are dead...

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure the ratio of comic book characters with living parents to those with dead parents is skewed in the latter's favor.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Don't worry, Kamala is still a new character with one writer using her. There's plenty of time for an author to come along and kill everyone she loves, because that is automatic character development, dontcha know.

Edit: Gah, that sounded cynical (which I am, but yeah). I should mention I love the title currently, and drat the art is gorgeous.

While we're at it, how are Ms. Marvel's sales? I really hope the writer gets a chance at a decent arc.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 27, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reed has a good relationship with his father. Why last time they hung out they went with Doom to kill the last remaining Richard Sr in the multiverse!

He's also a good father himself!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Madrox posted:

Don't worry, Kamala is still a new character with one writer using her. There's plenty of time for an author to come along and kill everyone she loves, because that is automatic character development, dontcha know.

Edit: Gah, that sounded cynical (which I am, but yeah). I should mention I love the title currently, and drat the art is gorgeous.

While we're at it, how are Ms. Marvel's sales? I really hope the writer gets a chance at a decent arc.
If Kamala goes the way of Anya I'd be pretty upset. They sped up the process of making her a lecacy character earlier than Anya, does that mean they'll kill her whole family even quicker, too?

Attach a character to Captain Marvel and they become cursed.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Guys stop worrying about them killing off her family that won't happen.

They'll turn out to be a terrorist sleeper cell.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SirDan3k posted:

Guys stop worrying about them killing off her family that won't happen.

They'll turn out to be a terrorist sleeper cell.

The father seems pretty well grounded but that brother.....hrmmmmm.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Madrox posted:

MS MARVEL #1 $2.99 MAR 50,286
MS MARVEL #2 $2.99 MAR 38,357
MS MARVEL #3 $2.99 MAR 37,140

Looks like #4 sold about 34k.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

MS MARVEL #1 $2.99 MAR 50,286
MS MARVEL #2 $2.99 MAR 38,357
MS MARVEL #3 $2.99 MAR 37,140

Looks like #4 sold about 34k.

Which is frustrating because our sales on the book have quadrupled.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm going to blindly wager without any evidence that some stores are refusing to order it past the variant-rich first issue because muslim.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

twistedmentat posted:

That was a great scene, and I'm hoping that by the end of this arc she tells her family about her powers. The whole secret identity rigamorale is frustrating, and after that conversation I really just wanted her to open up and be like, "I stumbled into these powers and the capacity to help people for a reason, etc etc"

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Assuming that it levels off at around 30k, that's not too bad for a book with a minority female protagonist who is a brand new character, and written by a relatively unknown (female) writer. Especially if you assume that some people won't pick it up because it's about a Muslim character.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Isn't 34k still well above Marvel's unofficial cancellation number?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Isn't 34k still well above Marvel's unofficial cancellation number?
Yeah, it should be ok so long as it stays above 20k. That's usually the dangah zone.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
That's also only US print sales. I think books like Captain and Ms. Marvel have huge digital followings.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

d00gZ posted:

That's also only US print sales. I think books like Captain and Ms. Marvel have huge digital followings.

Now that I only buy digital, I read Ms Marvel. So, I'm that guy.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Those sales numbers are probably what Marvel are expecting and as with Captain Marvel they'll probably continue it for a while based on principal anyway so I wouldn't get too worried about cancellation.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
New Warriors on the other hand.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just listened to the first ep of the Women of Marvel podcast and it was great: http://thewomenofmarvelcomics.tumblr.com/

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

New Warriors on the other hand.
It's really fun so far and I don't want it to go away. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

After the announcement that Moon Knight would be having a creative change, I've been trying to get reprint's of Ms. Marvel to catch up. Really liking it so far, though I've only read the first two issues.

• Locked thread