Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Trent posted:

So far I can say this about Pikmin3:

It looks gorgeous and I miss the c stick. Is there no way to just move the pack into things like gates anymore, or do I really have to throw every one of them individually?

Yeah, I miss the C-Sticking weird-reveille-bugle-Pikmin-pack-guidance thing too, but you can now lock on to things and press B to send the entire horde after whatever you've locked on to. Doesn't quite make up for the loss of control, though.

Makes the game feel a bit more like loosely controlling a bunch of plant-based RTS units rather than having this psychically-controlled swarm of Pikmin murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?
Yeah, not having the C stick really caught me off guard when I got to the first boss. It seems like it might be for the better though, because it made the fight a lot more tense and interesting than I remember most of the bosses in 1 & 2 being.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Friend pressured me into finishing Shovel Knight in one go and christ the gamepad's d-pad sucks. It hurt my thumb quite a bit by the end of it.

Game itself is absolutely outstanding and I suggest everyone get it though, it's one of the best games of it's kind and I'm sure when I see people find ways to destroy bosses I'm going to feel like such a huge putz for dying to a lot of tail end ones.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Shovel Knight rules. Miiverse rules. Everything rules. :3:

MUMMYMTN
May 22, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah, I miss the C-Sticking weird-reveille-bugle-Pikmin-pack-guidance thing too, but you can now lock on to things and press B to send the entire horde after whatever you've locked on to.

Does the stylus control method have this function, too? Rapid-tapping my control screen fifty times every time I want to swarm something is no good.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MUMMYMTN posted:

Does the stylus control method have this function, too? Rapid-tapping my control screen fifty times every time I want to swarm something is no good.

Lock on, then an icon will appear on the bottom screen that makes your Pikmin charge at your target.

ChuckLogan
Oct 10, 2009

Oh yeah? Well, I had sex with your wife!
A friend of mine came over to play Pikmin 3, and before we started I decided to show him the demo of W101. I had tried the game before, but didn't see why so many in the thread enjoyed it. Well, all at once everything clicked. I immediately ordered it. What an amazing beat-em up. Thanks for reading my story.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That seems to be the standard reaction to W101: people play it for a little while without really getting it and then suddently it clicks and they realise they're having a lot of fun.

It goes on sale fairly regularly, so it shouldn't be hard to find for cheap if you hold out for a little while.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-20/nintendo-s-wii-infringed-philips-patents-u-k-court-says.html

Is this anything to be concerned about? I honestly can't believe Philips actually won on such vague grounds but they are slightly bigger than Nintendo as a company. I just hope Nintendo's bottom line doesn't suffer from something this lovely. And the request for a complete ban on all Wii U sales is just flat-out absurd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Friend pressured me into finishing Shovel Knight in one go and christ the gamepad's d-pad sucks. It hurt my thumb quite a bit by the end of it.

Game itself is absolutely outstanding and I suggest everyone get it though, it's one of the best games of it's kind and I'm sure when I see people find ways to destroy bosses I'm going to feel like such a huge putz for dying to a lot of tail end ones.

Here are the two ways to murder every boss effortlessly:

If they are ground based, equip Dynamic Armor, pogo on them until you get a charge, use charge, repeat.

If they are air based, throw anchor.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah, I miss the C-Sticking weird-reveille-bugle-Pikmin-pack-guidance thing too, but you can now lock on to things and press B to send the entire horde after whatever you've locked on to. Doesn't quite make up for the loss of control, though.

Makes the game feel a bit more like loosely controlling a bunch of plant-based RTS units rather than having this psychically-controlled swarm of Pikmin murder.

I stopped missing the C-Stick as much when I realized that the majority of my C-Stick use in 1 and 2 was to navigate pikmin along dangerous areas. Since the pathing in 3 seems to be leagues better, I never really found myself wishing for it back, especially after discovering the charge move.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So I thought I screwed myself out of the five dollar eshop credit, but I didn't! Things worked out and now I have $5.00 on my account, this makes deciding between Wii U or PC for Shovel Knight. :D

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have 805 points. Is kirby worth some points?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got a 99 cent game in order to put myself over the top for a $5 gift card. How long will it take in order for the order to populate in the promotion site?

I just want to save some money on Shovel Knight :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ImpAtom posted:

Here are the two ways to murder every boss effortlessly:

If they are ground based, equip Dynamic Armor, pogo on them until you get a charge, use charge, repeat.

If they are air based, throw anchor.

I'm completely inpet at games like this so so guys like the Artic Knight or whatever he was called and I just get the poo poo beat out of me.

Or Propeller Knights awful bullshit, he killed the poo poo out of me nonstop

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm completely inpet at games like this so so guys like the Artic Knight or whatever he was called and I just get the poo poo beat out of me.

Or Propeller Knights awful bullshit, he killed the poo poo out of me nonstop

Propeller Knight in particular is like the main dude to abuse the anchor on. Just get into the right position and toss it repeatedly, especially when he stops to summon poo poo, and you'll wreck his face.

Artic Knight is probably one of the tougher fights but if you use Phase Walk you can kind of trivialize him.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I have 805 points. Is kirby worth some points?

I'm gonna hold out for Mega Man 2 (or whatever they are selling right before my points expire). I love Kirby, but I've played that game a dozen times.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Unlucky7 posted:

I got a 99 cent game in order to put myself over the top for a $5 gift card. How long will it take in order for the order to populate in the promotion site?

I just want to save some money on Shovel Knight :(

Should show up tomorrow morning.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Every time I hit the home button, I see the home screen for about half a second, and then a bar telling me my "data has finished installing" drops down. I checked out download management, but I just see that Netflix and Pikmin 3 have finished updating. Nothing new installs or downloads. I have the option to "delete" those boxes, but I don't want to get rid of the update data.

What exactly is going on with all of that?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

Should show up tomorrow morning.

Bleh, I will just get the game now. I can use that credit for something else.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

zfleeman posted:

Every time I hit the home button, I see the home screen for about half a second, and then a bar telling me my "data has finished installing" drops down. I checked out download management, but I just see that Netflix and Pikmin 3 have finished updating. Nothing new installs or downloads. I have the option to "delete" those boxes, but I don't want to get rid of the update data.

The message will keep showing up until you open the software that's been updated. Yes, it's stupid and they need revise it in a patch ASAP.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Damnit I'm 5 coins short of platinum. Do you get coins for virtual console games?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

zfleeman posted:

Launch those apps/games. Usually the data downloads but the alert won't go away until it installs which happens when you launch it after download

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Damnit I'm 5 coins short of platinum. Do you get coins for virtual console games?

I seem to have coins for my Super Metroid purchase, so I guess the answer is yes. But first, did you answer all the surveys Nintendo has for you?

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
My favorite easter egg part of Shovel Knight is digging up your campfires for a small $$$ bonus. You even get an achievement called "Only You" for doing it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I got the top tier on club nintendo, now what? What should i do with these coins?

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Afro posted:

My favorite easter egg part of Shovel Knight is digging up your campfires for a small $$$ bonus. You even get an achievement called "Only You" for doing it.

I'm missing the reference, I guess; can you elaborate?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Christobevii3 posted:

I got the top tier on club nintendo, now what? What should i do with these coins?
You could use them to buy rewards or wait until something you want is available then use them. Every month they change up the things you can get with them.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

matrix ripoff posted:

Who can prevent forest fires?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Christobevii3 posted:

Do what you want with the coins; save them up or spend them. It's a long shot but sometimes there's a cool really expensive reward that pops up for a limited time. If any of your coins are expiring they'll let you know. You can obtain the top tier reward whether or not you have any coins left, as long as you've accumulated the requisite number of coins over the course of the year.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Zaggitz posted:

Who can prevent forest fires?

Well, that depends. If you are camping alone, say, and there's no one else around to ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkay

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Argue posted:

Do what you want with the coins; save them up or spend them. It's a long shot but sometimes there's a cool really expensive reward that pops up for a limited time. If any of your coins are expiring they'll let you know. You can obtain the top tier reward whether or not you have any coins left, as long as you've accumulated the requisite number of coins over the course of the year.

What is the top tier reward? I've been platinum for months and never saw anything special.

E: found the answer. They announce it early in July.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 27, 2014

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

matrix ripoff posted:

Beaten already but

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Afro posted:

I like the npc from the village at the start who doesn't believe you're shovel knight. You can convince them by doing something so unreal that it proves your identity as the one true shovel knight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I like the npc from the village at the start who doesn't believe you're shovel knight. You can convince them by doing something so unreal that it proves your identity as the one true shovel knight.

They get even more impressed when you upgrade your digging ability.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Virt just posted links to both the Shovel Knight OST (including NSF file!) and a second arrange OST, both pay-what-you-want:

https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/shovel-knight-original-soundtrack
https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/strike-the-earth-shovel-knight-arranged

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Captain Mog posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-20/nintendo-s-wii-infringed-philips-patents-u-k-court-says.html

Is this anything to be concerned about? I honestly can't believe Philips actually won on such vague grounds but they are slightly bigger than Nintendo as a company. I just hope Nintendo's bottom line doesn't suffer from something this lovely. And the request for a complete ban on all Wii U sales is just flat-out absurd.

Unlikely. Nintendo will probably (definitely) appeal, and the case is garbage because Philips apparently changed its patent during the case and the judge was totally okay with it.

As it is, that's only the U.K. that they've won in, anyway. I think they sued Nintendo in five different locations?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Sometimes it can be quicker to just dismiss your Pikmin, like if you get attacked by a bunch of small enemies. just run so that your Pikmin are on top of them then dismiss, and they will beat the poo poo out of whatever is near them when not under your control.

After hearing a lot of good things about it Im going to buy Mario 3d world today. How good is the co op mode? I hope its good...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's a little harder to be a dick like in NSMB, so if that's the kinda co-op you're looking for, you're going to be a little disappointed. That said, the co-op is really, really good and it's just a lot of good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I thought 3D World actively encouraged people to be dicks to each other, personally. Being able to steal the crown was a big part of it, I guess.

• Locked thread