Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
M15 is looking like the best core set ever.

And Urborg makes Squishing Leeches into a full on Dakkon. Still probably won't see any play though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Bugsy posted:

I was going to say half of Momentous fall isn't bad for half the cost, but then I read it was a sorcery.

It is the better half of momentous fall though... You can't generate value off a doomed creature, but this is kind of 2 mana draw 3, which is nice?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It might make that Dredge deck popular again, because in the lategame it's more like "1G, Temporarily sacrifice Jarad: Draw 7"

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Emerson Cod posted:

For anyone looking to stock up (assuming you don't have dozens of pain lands already) it seems like the best bet is to buy Caves of Koilos, Battlefield Forge, and Llanowar Wastes now, as they're more likely to go up from their current price while Yavimaya Coast and Shivan Reef are more likely to go down. Cardshark vendors have the best prices and haven't updated them quite yet. The eBay sellers seem to be on the ball for the most part.

I'm actually trying to do exactly this but I think they're being bought out. I managed to get a playset of the event deck caves of koilos for $3.00 with free shipping on tcgplayer but it seems like all the vendors on cardshark want $4 for shipping and most don't have playsets unless the price is already high.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Edit: nvm.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

They're not Slivers unless they're one-taloned two-tailed abominations that lack the You Control clause. :colbert:

e: Oh god I just had flashbacks to M14 spoiler season, the above was a joke, no need to start all that again.

Alris fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 27, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Alris posted:

They're not Slivers unless they're one-taloned two-tailed abominations that lack the You Control clause. :colbert:

Well, that card fits all those criteria.

Okay, I guess it does literally have the words 'you control' on it :v:

Seriously, though, that art's really cool and probably a sign that they can recognize a mistake if it's presented to them on a silver platter. Unless they were always planning to commission some oldsliver art for M15 but that seems unlikely.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Seriously, though, that art's really cool and probably a sign that they can recognize a mistake if it's presented to them on a silver platter. Unless they were always planning to commission some oldsliver art for M15 but that seems unlikely.

Doug Beyer has in fact commented on the style change.

Doug Beyer posted:

Based on player feedback, we generally pulled back from the M14 look and aimed the M15 slivers less humanoid and more bestial. But there’s individual variation. Some look entirely retro, as on M15’s Sliver Hive. Some are more humanoid, using the ”rearrangeable plates” concept from M14’s design. Some split the difference, lying somewhere between the M14 look and the old look, carving out some new space. You’ll see what I’m talking about when more of M15 has been previewed. But overall M15 represents a visual shift away from the look of M14’s slivers.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

JerryLee posted:

Well, that card fits all those criteria.

Okay, I guess it does literally have the words 'you control' on it :v:

As MaRo said on his blog, art moves faster than development and design. It was a response.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
That's pretty cool. Good to know. :)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

JerryLee posted:

presented to them on a sliver platter

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Uhh did anyone mention Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth getting spoiled?

Clicky

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

Uhh did anyone mention Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth getting spoiled?

Clicky

Do you even read the thread

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah we've been talking about it for a couple pages now, maybe refresh before posting next time?

And just to make this post more constructive, I hope they continue the trend of reprinting a rare, somewhat valuable, never-reprinted utility land at rare in each year's core set. Mutavault last year, Urborg ToY this year, Rishadan Port/Dark Depths/whatever in Magic 2016? :getin:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Guys, I don't know if this has been posted before but we're getting slivers!

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I have a few older copies of the painlands that I won't mind getting rid of at some point down the line. Since I'm sure everyone else has the same idea and are dusting off whatever stock they have, what's the best time to unload them? I'm thinking either now or the next Standard PTQ season, but I'm not a cardboard futures guru.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

C-Euro posted:

Yeah we've been talking about it for a couple pages now, maybe refresh before posting next time?

And just to make this post more constructive, I hope they continue the trend of reprinting a rare, somewhat valuable, never-reprinted utility land at rare in each year's core set. Mutavault last year, Urborg ToY this year, Rishadan Port/Dark Depths/whatever in Magic 2016? :getin:

I do hope that trend continues, but those two seem... unlikely. Rishadan Port would give us Standard: Rishadan Port Edition, and Dark Depths is unfortunately a Snow permanent.

So clearly they'll actually be giving us Wasteland.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Lord of Hats posted:

I do hope that trend continues, but those two seem... unlikely. Rishadan Port would give us Standard: Rishadan Port Edition, and Dark Depths is unfortunately a Snow permanent.

So clearly they'll actually be giving us Wasteland.

Oh yeah I forgot Depths had that extra type. Well, those are just the first two pricier, color-neutral, single-print rare lands I could think of. What other good ones are there?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 27, 2014

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Have you guys seen the new card frame too? I can't believe they're changing it to this poo poo.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hahaha that's cool effect wise

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Wow. That's really good. Planer control is going to be amazing with this guy.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Interesting. He feels like a very control-mirror card, which is a nice niche. Against aggro, the bounce is pretty expensive, and if you're building up to his ultimate your opponent is busy punching you in the face and won't be shuffling too much back into their library.

Yay, more Innistrad! I'm really liking the flavor in this core set, which feels kind of weird to say.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Zorak posted:

Hahaha that's cool effect wise

:allears: Could this be what slivers MBC needs to finally be viable? :allears:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Banisher Priest Sliver!
It looks like it's just a vanilla body unless you have other slivers though, right?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

TheKingofSprings posted:

My bad I didn't see that anyone had actually posted the IMAGE of the card. Since I read the last few pages and didn't see the image I posted it.

I had seen it mentioned but was referring more to the fact that the actual card had been posted not just the fact it was getting a reprint.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

This looks pretty playable in modern, at least as a sideboard card? Would hose snapcasters and birthing-podded creatures.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jace is functionally just big Jace only slightly easier to cast in the late game with counter back up for control mirrors. So a sideboard card, kinda disappointing.

I was hoping for some big goofy casual jace. I guess Jace isn't for that, though.
drat that's a fine hate bird.

Hate beard.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Deckit posted:

:allears: Could this be what slivers MBC counterburn needs to finally be viable? :allears:

:colbert:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Loving the flavor/story continuity in the cards. New Jace seems pretty strong.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Fingers McLongDong posted:

This looks pretty playable in modern, at least as a sideboard card? Would hose snapcasters and birthing-podded creatures.

Very playable. A torpor Orb with flash and attacks for 2 is quite nice.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Does this entering the battlefield cause ETB effects to trigger?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Looks like Razor Hippogriff finally has a mate.

e: Actually, I don't know. I was assuming it would be "ETB abilities can't resolve. But don't trigger is a different story. I think they might actually trigger...

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 27, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

New Jace is easily the weakest of the Jace's. Maybe not unplayable, but he's on the lower power end of walkers just going by his first 2 abilities.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Hushwing Gryff is going to be an auto-include in sideboards of a lot of modern decks. It's Torpor Orb on Aven Mindcensor's body!

(Of course, I'm running the one non-Pod white deck in the format that relies on ETB effects to work, so... :()

e: Also New Jace looks pretty awful. He's either a hard-to-kill jerk who does nothing the turn he comes in, or he's a Disperse on a stick. Architect of Thought makes him look like a chump, Memory Adept at least generates card advantage / wins the game...this guy is going to do gently caress-all if the enemy can pressure him at all.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 27, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Loving the flavor/story continuity in the cards. New Jace seems pretty strong.

I like the flavor too, but this Jace seems pretty bad from a first look to me.

The +1 would be really good with some flashback (which seems very unlikely), and pretty weak otherwise, and his -3 makes me wonder why, you wouldn't just go with the 1 mana sorcery or an Oblivion Ring if that's what your deck needs.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's interesting that new Jace doesn't actually have any card advantage until you reach his ultimate - just selection and tempo.

It's actually a way more interesting side of blue than the "oh look now I'm drawing multiple cards a turn" that they usually go for.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Gryff will be great for Hatebeard decks, I'm meh on Jace. Oh and they bringing back Urborg AND Painlands? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

bhsman posted:

Gryff will be great for Hatebeard decks

As a Hatebears player, I'd rather not utterly cripple my Blade Splicers, Flickerwisps and Restoration Angels. The non-Splicer versions will probably play it, either in lieu of Aven Mindcensor or in the sideboard, but I have no interest in a Mindcensor-like that hurts me more than my opponent most of the time.

• Locked thread