Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

How do you like them? I fell absolutely in love with their sound profile a few weeks ago.

Which lead me to spring for their little brother today, the MDR-10RBTs. They'll be coming in Saturday, I'm really excited.
Only got them today. Initial impressions are pretty good. It's rather neutral bass wise (in my opinion, anyway) and lots more treble details compared to the V55 (might be new-gear related placebo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I picked up my first pair of "good" headphones last week, a set of ATH M50Xs. They sound great driven from my MacBook and iPhone, but are really, but have a lot of line noise and low volume on my onboard audio on my Windows desktop. I'm looking for a USB DAC that in the $50 range. Are there any go to recommendations?

Edit: I'm reading some good things about FiiO's E07K. Does anyone have experience with it?

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 26, 2014

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Got my Philips Fidelio X1 and Fiio E17. They sound goddamn incredible so far, and I'm assuming they'll only get better over the next week. So much more detail all around, and more noticeable bass than I was used to, its great. They're also comfy, and a lot smaller than the Audio Technicas I was using. They clamp a bit, but not an uncomfortable amount. Build quality and finish is gorgeous. Somehow they seem to both isolate more noise, but leak more at the same time.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

I'm surprised there's not much information on the internet about these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076NDV0U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're a Bluetooth headset by Sennheiser with APT-X support. They're over-ear, small, have a microphone built in, and sound great. My previous headphones were HD 380 Pro, but I got these to be less of a pain in the rear end while working. Battery life is long, battery is changeable, and there's an upgraded version that has active noise cancellation, SRS, talk through support, etc. I recommend these, though, and a Bluetooth adapter with APT-X support: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JAZGSXY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you don't have apt-x ability, they will sound like poo poo from what I can tell - just like normal bluetooth audio.

I should have gotten these 3 years ago when I started my telecommute job with meetings and screen shares and all that, but I didn't know how much I'd be online talking to people when I started. Now I'm moving to a telecommute development role at a different company and still think they will come in handy - what with their lack of cord, passive noise isolation, and good sound/microphone when needed.

Price history: http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-MM-500-X-Bluetooth-Headphones/product/B0076NDV0U?active=amazon&context=browse

I'm unaware of any other competitors in this space: wireless, bluetooth, good sound, over ear, microphone built in, etc. I have no clue why everything else sucks and other manufacturers aren't even trying.

edit: Sennheiser MM 500-X - upgraded version is 550-X and totally not worth the price from what I can tell.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TreFitty posted:

I'm surprised there's not much information on the internet about these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076NDV0U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're a Bluetooth headset by Sennheiser with APT-X support.

I'm unaware of any other competitors in this space: wireless, bluetooth, good sound, over ear, microphone built in, etc. I have no clue why everything else sucks and other manufacturers aren't even trying.

I know I'm still whoring these things out, but if you are going to drop two bills, you simply cannot beat the Logitech Ultimate Ears:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111189946478

Bought two from this seller. 100% authentic and brand new. Zero regrets.

They do everything you list TreFitty and sound incredible to boot. Maybe a bit heavy, but you get used to them.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Got those Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 the other day and drat, for $25 it's going to be hard to beat, they sound really good.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm still waiting on my Pistons. They're tied up in Shenzhen apparently, on Sweden post (?!). ETA is anywhere from July 10th to the 28th, but I'm hoping against hope I get my sweet sweet budz soon.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Also waiting on Pistons. I'll probably be less impressed than I am with my X1's, but for $25 IEMs I'm sure they'll be great. I haven't had a pair of in-ears in years, and figured I'd replace the really lovely ear buds that I've been using for my phone. I don't even know where they came from.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I bought my pistons off boat2014 on Amazon. 23 dollars with free shipping. They were estimated to arrive July 16 in Australia but they came three days ago. Crazy fast shipping. Haven't used them yet but they came in the nicest drat packaging ever.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Retarded Pimp posted:

Got those Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 the other day and drat, for $25 it's going to be hard to beat, they sound really good.

Another vote in for the Pistons-are-excellent-for-$25 crowd.

I've been getting seriously pissed off with my VSonic GR07 Mk2s lately (the sibilance bothers me the more I use them) and these totally hit the spot without breaking the bank.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
The Pistons get a lot of love lately. Can someone describe the sound?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Can anyone recommend headphones for children, specifically to use while traveling/airplanes?

We don't want to spend three hundred on Bose noise canceling but there has to be something good for kids, durable, and to help with the noise.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Midorka posted:

The Pistons get a lot of love lately. Can someone describe the sound?

Similar to the Vsonic VSD1S, a somewhat V shaped frequency curve, the piston has good bass, but doesn't go quite as deep or have as much on the low end, and I don't think it's quite as prone to sibilence on the other end. I'd have to give back to back listening to see which is more detailed. The piston has less than average isolation.

They're fun sounding and sound better than what they should for their price range.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 29, 2014

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Researching this further, the Hydrogenaudio spergs say that this only really affects the Xonars with headphone amps. On the other ones, it just raises the noise floor by 4-5dB, which means essentially poo poo, because it's already at around 116dB on the front output (at least on mine).

The output API has nothing to do with the 44.1KHz noise issue. Actually, playing a single stream via DirectX and WASAPI shared mode outputs exactly the same thing as WASAPI exclusive mode, assuming you didn't mess with the application specific volume slider.

I'd like to think this, and I'm not saying you're not correct (because you are correct), but I A-B tested the settings along with my girlfriend and friend and we all could distinctly hear differences post and pre-changes. Also, weirdly enough, the biggest thing changing everything to 48k affected was my framerate in games: I was always have some weird lag issues that I knew was focused around my sound card. Going to 48k completely removed all stutters and frame drops. I'd like to think my card is the exception to the issues people are having but who knows :iiam: I'm just glad this fixed all my issues completely.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I would like a set of headphones for use on walks and in the office. My budget is 300. I am not sure if I want on or over ear. I listen to a lot of classic rock. I listen exclusively from my phone but what is prompting this post is I grabbed a FIIO E18 the other night when I saw them go on sale at slickdeals.net so I would like to drive something a little more impressive than my Klipsch s4i's. Does anyone have some off the cuff suggestions?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can anyone recommend a headset/mic for using for PC gaming?
Anything sub $100 is key.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

Syano posted:

I would like a set of headphones for use on walks and in the office. My budget is 300. I am not sure if I want on or over ear. I listen to a lot of classic rock. I listen exclusively from my phone but what is prompting this post is I grabbed a FIIO E18 the other night when I saw them go on sale at slickdeals.net so I would like to drive something a little more impressive than my Klipsch s4i's. Does anyone have some off the cuff suggestions?

NAD Viso HP50 has been getting a lot of good press. V-Moda Crossfade M100s are recommended as well, but I doubt they really benefit from ampage. Whatever looks best to you. V-Modas have a real high build quality.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My Sony MDR-1R came with two cords, one with an inline mike and remote and one without. Would that inline remote affect the signal in anyway? The cord without is broken and I don't really want to send the headphones back if the other one is just fine to begin with.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Combat Pretzel posted:

My Sony MDR-1R came with two cords, one with an inline mike and remote and one without. Would that inline remote affect the signal in anyway? The cord without is broken and I don't really want to send the headphones back if the other one is just fine to begin with.

Unless the cord significantly changes the impedance (which is pretty unlikely), no.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

hotsauce posted:

I know I'm still whoring these things out, but if you are going to drop two bills, you simply cannot beat the Logitech Ultimate Ears:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111189946478

Bought two from this seller. 100% authentic and brand new. Zero regrets.

They do everything you list TreFitty and sound incredible to boot. Maybe a bit heavy, but you get used to them.
A friend and I searched for headphones fitting this description for months - preferably something outside 2.4GHz, though. Bluetooth won, though, because of its universal interface and the lack of need for an adapter specific to the headphones. Strange that these never showed up in lots of searches (but we never searched eBay). I think I'm probably happier with these, though, because of their compact form - they're meant for travelers on business that already have tons of things to carry.

TreFitty fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 28, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TreFitty posted:

A friend and I searched for headphones fitting this description for months - preferably something outside 2.4GHz, though. Bluetooth won, though, because of its universal interface and the lack of need for an adapter specific to the headphones. Strange that these never showed up in lots of searches (but we never searched eBay). I think I'm probably happier with these, though, because of their compact form - they're meant for travelers on business that already have tons of things to carry.

I had never heard of them either. They are discontinued and when they were sold, they were over $400. I found them via the wirecutter:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bluetooth-on-or-over-ear-headphones/

They are lower down on the page and there is a link to an "audiophile" review that is very positive.

No clue why Logitech/UE stopped making them, so buy them while you can.

And knowing Logitech's ridiculously awesome support, they will probably ship you a new pair in a few years if they break (if they still have them to send out, that is).

Edit: I think you are saying you would be happier with these, as in the UE900's. FYI, they do fold flat, but the carrying case is monstrous. I just keep them around my neck when I fly and toss them in my bag when I don't use them. They are built like a tank.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 29, 2014

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

WHO DAT? Who gives a damn?

shymog posted:

Another vote in for the Pistons-are-excellent-for-$25 crowd.

I've been getting seriously pissed off with my VSonic GR07 Mk2s lately (the sibilance bothers me the more I use them) and these totally hit the spot without breaking the bank.

Yet another new owner of the Pistons via boat2014 on Amazon. I have a ton of larger phones including HD800's, Audeze LCD-2s, Hifiman HE500's, etc with proper amplification. Admittedly I have very little experience with IEMs, except some q-Jays that I thought were a total ripoff and a some thinksound ms01s that are okay portable buds.

At the pricepoint they're well constructed and seem very durable (something I value in highly portable / exercise headphones) and come with several different size swappable ear inserts for you weirdos with giant or tiny ear canals and a decent plastic case to carry it all. Very crisp, sharp sound with decent bass for IEMs. Sure you can do better but for $25 they're an exceptional value.

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

TreFitty posted:

As an owner of Sennheiser RS180s (a pair of 2.4-2.8ghz wireless phones) I have a pair of these and they are completely superior. They have impressive, dynamic sound for wireless cans--the built-in amplifier is great and sounds better than the RS180s. The battery life is waaay better (but unlike the RS180s you cannot swap the batteries out). They also have excellent isolation that doesn't seem to compromise sound quality, which was a pleasant surprise for me.

They just blow the RS180's out of the water for my money and happen to actually be cheaper by $40 if you follow hotsauce's link. As has been mentioned they are a bit heavy but that hasn't bothered me at all. I also haven't messed with any of the microphone or hands-free call features.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Are the Amazon Prime sellers for the Xiaomi Pistons legit, or should I just swallow my impatience and buy from boat2014?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rollofthedice posted:

Are the Amazon Prime sellers for the Xiaomi Pistons legit, or should I just swallow my impatience and buy from boat2014?

Hmm. I can only vouch for boat2014. I have no idea what kind of name for a store that is, but hey...

FWIW, boat2014 shows up every few days as a Prime seller. I ordered mine from them on a Wed night, they were sitting on my doorstep Saturday at 11am.

Seems like boat normally ships from Hong Kong and occasionally sends a pallet to Amazon's UPS/FedEx fulfillment centers for Prime shipping, then they sell out immediately. Can't vouch for any other sellers, so good luck if you are impatient.

Edit: you may want to ask on Amazon answers (or whatever it's called) if the seller sends legit Pistons. I always seem to get a legitimate response from some internet user in hours. Or search reviews and root out if they are shady or not. But as the poster below says, if they are fakes, send them bitches back. Apparently if the packaging has "12g" (huh?) on the back of the packaging they are deemed authentic.

That is until the Chinese knockoff factory starts printing that on the fakes...

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 29, 2014

Catfish Stevens
Jul 9, 2001

Rollofthedice posted:

Supposedly there are quite a few fakes out there, although if it's Prime then Amazon covers the returns process so you'll promptly get your money back. That said those two sellers are suspiciously brand new with little to no reputation. Go with boat2014 IMO, multiple posters including myself can attest that it's the real deal. I live in Seattle and they took about a week to get here.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I got my Pistons a couple of days ago and they are really nice. Ordered from Boat2014 but I really have no way of telling if they're genuine or not other than they seem legit?

Like many others have said, I have heard better but never for such a low price.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

ineptmule posted:

I got my Pistons a couple of days ago and they are really nice. Ordered from Boat2014 but I really have no way of telling if they're genuine or not other than they seem legit?

The Head-Fi thread for them has some comparison photos of the counterfeit Pistons vs. the real ones. The fake ones also apparently sound pretty bad, so I think you're fine.

Seems like I'll be buying from Boat2014 too. My Philips SHE3590's broke a few days ago. If the Pistons are even a little bit better than them I'll be pretty drat satisfied.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 29, 2014

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The Pistons aren't as efficient and probably don't isolate as much, but I bet you'll like the sound if, as with all IEM's, you can get a good fit.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I was curious about something and was hoping I could get some help here - I apologise if this has already been covered in the thread.

Is it possible to buy tailored headphones? Not the earphones made from a mould of your ears - I know about those - but rather a pair of on-ear or over-ear headphones specifically tailored to the shape of your head, with the extension/retraction function and all related moving parts removed in favour of a single, reinforced configuration to make the headphones more durable. I've had problems in the past with headphones breaking despite great levels of care, all due to the sensitive moving parts, and I thought such tailored options could work nicely.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BreakAtmo posted:

I was curious about something and was hoping I could get some help here - I apologise if this has already been covered in the thread.

Is it possible to buy tailored headphones? Not the earphones made from a mould of your ears - I know about those - but rather a pair of on-ear or over-ear headphones specifically tailored to the shape of your head, with the extension/retraction function and all related moving parts removed in favour of a single, reinforced configuration to make the headphones more durable. I've had problems in the past with headphones breaking despite great levels of care, all due to the sensitive moving parts, and I thought such tailored options could work nicely.

Maybe something like the Abyss, just welded all together once just for you?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

Maybe something like the Abyss, just welded all together once just for you?

Pretty much, although I would hope some cheaper options could be available :v

But yeah, essentially they would simply be welded/formed into a single shape based upon the measurements of your head, I'm hoping that would make them very resistant to damage.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Rollofthedice posted:

The Head-Fi thread for them has some comparison photos of the counterfeit Pistons vs. the real ones. The fake ones also apparently sound pretty bad, so I think you're fine.

Seems like I'll be buying from Boat2014 too. My Philips SHE3590's broke a few days ago. If the Pistons are even a little bit better than them I'll be pretty drat satisfied.

In that case, nth-ing that boat2014 is a legit seller. Mine look exactly like the 'real' image in that thread.

My only complaint is that the volume controls on the mic/remote don't work with my iPhone. Is that to be expected? The pause/skip button works just fine.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ineptmule posted:

In that case, nth-ing that boat2014 is a legit seller. Mine look exactly like the 'real' image in that thread.

My only complaint is that the volume controls on the mic/remote don't work with my iPhone. Is that to be expected? The pause/skip button works just fine.

I've seen people in this thread and elsewhere report that the mic/remote buttons don't work with iPhones (yet?) but works perfectly with Android devices. I imagine it's a problem on Apple's end, since they generally only want people using approved hardware.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yeah, that makes sense. At least the pause/skip button works - that's the most important one as far as I'm concerned.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Xiaomi is a Chinese manufacturer of Android phones and other devices. They are pretty much the Apple of Asia.

It's perfectly reasonable that the controls only work with Android. For once, iPhone users are left with gimped compatibility, something Android users have dealt with for years :)

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I've seen people in this thread and elsewhere report that the mic/remote buttons don't work with iPhones (yet?) but works perfectly with Android devices. I imagine it's a problem on Apple's end, since they generally only want people using approved hardware.

The wiring for mic and remote is completely different from Apple and everything else. That's why you'll see two versions of earbud headsets most of them time, one for Android and one for Apple.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm looking for non-poo poo headphones and I have no experience with them. I've been using Creative Fatal1ty headsets for years because they're so poo poo I got new ones twice during the warranty period.

I used to think I need a headset with a mic but having tried out both gaming headsets and non-gaming headphones at a store I found the gaming stuff so much worse at a given price point that I've relaxed that requirement. So I'm pretty much resigned to using a separate mic. I tried out a Sennheiser HD 439 and I liked the sound of it though I didn't get to listen to anything bassy. I play games, I listen to all sorts of music, I don't really know what I'm looking for. Circumaural is a must, though. My friend is raving about the HD 518 and its apparently better bass. At 120€ that's at the upper limit of my budget.

How are these two? Are there obviously better choices for the price?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Elukka posted:

I'm looking for non-poo poo headphones and I have no experience with them. I've been using Creative Fatal1ty headsets for years because they're so poo poo I got new ones twice during the warranty period.

I used to think I need a headset with a mic but having tried out both gaming headsets and non-gaming headphones at a store I found the gaming stuff so much worse at a given price point that I've relaxed that requirement. So I'm pretty much resigned to using a separate mic. I tried out a Sennheiser HD 439 and I liked the sound of it though I didn't get to listen to anything bassy. I play games, I listen to all sorts of music, I don't really know what I'm looking for. Circumaural is a must, though. My friend is raving about the HD 518 and its apparently better bass. At 120€ that's at the upper limit of my budget.

How are these two? Are there obviously better choices for the price?

Check these out.
http://www.amazon.com/NVX-Over-Ear-Headphones-ComfortMax-Cushions/dp/B0093PVTPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
They don't seem to be available outside the US, unfortunately. Anything in Europe I can order but US gets too expensive.

e: Today I learned sound card equalizer settings make a huge difference. I tried out my friend's HD 518 and under the default settings it just sounded dull and muted. I'd almost certainly have been disappointed if I bought them and didn't know you could get it to sound a lot brighter and better all around by messing with some settings.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 1, 2014