Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

So it is safe to assume that forum downtime was due to Lowtax vigorously removing posted leaks in order to prevent the Realm Defense Grid from attacking him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

So it is safe to assume that forum downtime was due to Lowtax vigorously removing posted leaks in order to prevent the Realm Defense Grid from attacking him?
I think Lowtax is broke but still has more money than Onyx Path

(Sorry guys)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nessus posted:

I think Lowtax is broke but still has more money than Onyx Path

(Sorry guys)

Given how it's been mentioned the implications seem to me to be that OPP still has trouble paying its writers even after all the Kickstarters, I assume that printing and IP licensing costs must be such that their money safe actually contains opposite universe anti-dollars.

Edit: I don't have any proof for this, and apologize for phrasing it in a way that made it seem like I did.

(Also, not saying that OPP is bad if they do have tight finances... just that the RPG industry isn't much of a moneymaker at the best of times these days, especially once you count printing costs for fancy deluxe editions, and the rigamarole with having to license stuff from the rotting corpse of White Wolf can't be helping any.)

Roadie fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 27, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Roadie posted:

Given how it's been mentioned that OPP still has trouble paying its writers even after all the Kickstarters

Got any links?

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Plague of Hats posted:

Got any links?

Nice title.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ego Trip posted:

Nice title.

I feel like I've truly "arrived."

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Plague of Hats posted:

I feel like I've truly "arrived."

Someone bought you an angry title? Welcome the gently caress aboard, PoH. They did it wrong though, we do passive-aggressiveness in red font and all caps here.

Have we heard anything about the new exalt types recently? That is one of the things I am still excited about in 3E.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Roadie posted:

Given how it's been mentioned that OPP still has trouble paying its writers even after all the Kickstarters, I assume that printing and IP licensing costs must be such that their money safe actually contains opposite universe anti-dollars.
Dude, that's a serious accusation. Citations needed!

Ego Trip posted:

Nice title.
For posterity after it inevitably gets fixed:

Plague's custom title posted:

"If you don't take an insincere reading followed by a sincere case for optimizing rape seriously, then maybe you're the shitlord."

I lied about Michael Goodwin, did no work for seven months, got blacklisted, and then tried to bullshit people by saying I was just TOO progressive.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Is the title true? Would like some clarification on it.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
He covered it a bit on his tweetfeed.

https://twitter.com/plagueofhats/status/480605399553679360

https://twitter.com/plagueofhats/status/480625177911250944

Long story short - no, not really.

I mean, the devs are really annoyed at him, but that's because he keeps sassing them all over the internet, not for some gross failure to perform prior to his quitting.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
You can't fire me, I qu- oh, I guess quitting happens in step 3, sorry, carry on.

EDIT: Well, no, I guess if quitting corresponds to a step 3 (2?) defensive charm here, even though it's declared second it resolves properly and blocks the "you're fired" attack. If only I hadn't posted in a rush..!

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 27, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Long story short - no, not really.

The part about being a fuckhead to this Michael Goodwin guy is true though?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Michael Goodwin tried to put target number manipulation into World of Darkness for the sake of rhetorical impact so he can basically go hang.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Michael Goodwin tried to put target number manipulation into World of Darkness for the sake of rhetorical impact so he can basically go hang.

Etherwind got a 100k day for saying that kind of thing... Ah, if only...

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Sorry, I can't quite parse you. You're going to bat for Michael Goodwin, here? Why?

I mean, I guess I liked the Charms in Alchemicals 1e, but the criticisms of his later work seem pretty solid and the Mummy thing was just insulting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Roadie posted:

Given how it's been mentioned that OPP still has trouble paying its writers even after all the Kickstarters, I assume that printing and IP licensing costs must be such that their money safe actually contains opposite universe anti-dollars.
What! Man I was making a joke. Here let me try again: "Exalted 3E will actually be good and all the nasty stuff will get removed or retooled into non-nasty stuff, and the devs will learn to make points in straightforward declarative sentences instead of lengthy intellectuloid monologue. Also, Lunars will have the best designed Charm trees, and the Underworld will be amazing."

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nessus posted:

"Exalted 3E will actually be good and all the nasty stuff will get removed or retooled into non-nasty stuff, and the devs will learn to make points in straightforward declarative sentences instead of lengthy intellectuloid monologue. Also, Lunars will have the best designed Charm trees, and the Underworld will be amazing."

Now you're just being cruel. Why must you taunt us like this with this glimpse into the Exalted of some strange and wondrous Counter-Earth?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Ferrinus posted:

Sorry, I can't quite parse you. You're going to bat for Michael Goodwin, here? Why?

I mean, I guess I liked the Charms in Alchemicals 1e, but the criticisms of his later work seem pretty solid and the Mummy thing was just insulting.

What criticisms are you thinking of? I mean, there's obviously a shitload to criticize about Exalted 2E itself and he deserves some of the blame for that, but within the context of the system he pretty consistently produced some of the best work to come out of the game, and I can't remember anything else particularly dumb he did besides the Mummy thing.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Tulul posted:

What criticisms are you thinking of? I mean, there's obviously a shitload to criticize about Exalted 2E itself and he deserves some of the blame for that, but within the context of the system he pretty consistently produced some of the best work to come out of the game, and I can't remember anything else particularly dumb he did besides the Mummy thing.

I guess the big thing is that Infernal charms leaned so heavily towards a specific conception of transhumanism that they effectively built your character for you, plus a liberal sprinkling of "this badass evil thing is actually extremely pathetic" over like, every setting villain. This is somewhat second hand, mind you.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Ferrinus posted:

You can't fire me, I qu- oh, I guess quitting happens in step 3, sorry, carry on.

History Revision Prana
Cost: 6m Mins: Essence 2, Douche 5, martial arts 3, Martial Arts 2
Type: Simple(minded)
Keywords: Combo-Ok, Emotion, Obvious, Counterattack
Duration: One Tirade
Prerequisite Charms: Rape Apologist Methodology.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Nessus posted:

What! Man I was making a joke. Here let me try again: "Exalted 3E will actually be good and all the nasty stuff will get removed or retooled into non-nasty stuff, and the devs will learn to make points in straightforward declarative sentences instead of lengthy intellectuloid monologue. Also, Lunars will have the best designed Charm trees, and the Underworld will be amazing."

The first sentence is actually true though, leaked playtest revealed that.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The part about being a fuckhead to this Michael Goodwin guy is true though?

Unless I'm mistaken, they're referring to this post from earlier in the thread, which is... well, it's rude of him to speak that way about a peer, but none of that is a lie. Michael Goodwin has many great qualities but his mechanics tend to be more about form than function. What I mean by that is that they are intended to be illustrative of concepts within the game narrative, rather than necessarily easy to use or fun to use, because he doesn't usually use the mechanics.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

NutritiousSnack posted:

The first sentence is actually true though, leaked playtest revealed that.
Yes, I was engaging in what Stonewall Jackson referred to as "Levity"

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ferrinus posted:

I guess the big thing is that Infernal charms leaned so heavily towards a specific conception of transhumanism that they effectively built your character for you, plus a liberal sprinkling of "this badass evil thing is actually extremely pathetic" over like, every setting villain. This is somewhat second hand, mind you.

I thought this was Neph, ala the Deathlord/Neverborn thing.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Stallion Cabana posted:

I thought this was Neph, ala the Deathlord/Neverborn thing.

Isn't Michael Goodwin also Neph

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah, that's who I'm talking about, unless hilariously it turns out I don't know who I'm talking about and I've been confused on the issue for literal years.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, that's who I'm talking about, unless hilariously it turns out I don't know who I'm talking about and I've been confused on the issue for literal years.

No I'm just an idiot who only knows him as Neph. I don't pay too much attention to names of people.

NiciasTSOF
May 15, 2014
I'd never made the connection between the handle and the name before. Suddenly so many things make sense.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The "this badass evil thing is extremely pathetic" was real cool in the first three or four Jim Hensen movies I saw it happen in,

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, they're referring to this post from earlier in the thread, which is... well, it's rude of him to speak that way about a peer, but none of that is a lie. Michael Goodwin has many great qualities but his mechanics tend to be more about form than function. What I mean by that is that they are intended to be illustrative of concepts within the game narrative, rather than necessarily easy to use or fun to use, because he doesn't usually use the mechanics.

I'm pretty sure none of what I said was a lie, but it was unfair enough that it's pretty misleading. (Except for the paraphrased IM conversation I had with him. At that time he gave no shits, and for good reason.) A lot of that stuff may have been things he put into a doc and sent to a developer, but one way or another it was also stuff the developer told him to do, or gave him no time to do better, or gave him no guidance/coordination to make the whole book fit together. He was working on a line where someone could turn in Obsidian Shards of Infinity or Lillun and get published, and where the supplement churn meant you had a couple months to wrap-up 30k, 60k, 90k words. I think we had something like 4-5 months for Shards and I still hosed up some Theion Charms and never replaced those loving awful auto-fire rules.

Most of that post was just pitching a fit. I still think it's pretty unfair to, at that point, literally tell someone "You might do okay but it is totally impossible for you to make what I want because this one guy with pretty similar ideas isn't working with you." (There were other, better reasons to think things would be bad!) And that IM conversation we had was also pretty devastating to me, because I was totally into what he was doing and he outright told me "Man, this poo poo is loving dumb." But that's not Neph's fault, and I took out my frustration on him.

How about no more dancing around that shadowy backroom gossip crap, then? Everyone loves that dumb poo poo. I think it's pretty funny that some people have suggested I got fired for making that post. In fact, I felt extremely safe, because as much as that screed was borne out of my personal, overblown frustration, it was also me parroting Holden.

Maybe some of you remember me stupidly cheerleading EX3 by bragging about 7-8 hour Skype chats? That was kind of bullshit. The last 3-5 hours of nearly every Skype was 90% Holden making GBS threads all over anyone who was no longer in favor. I can't say as he actually hates those people, but he is certainly willing to poo poo-talk them for literally hours on end. By 6am it would be Holden, with me and maybe one or two sleepy others listening to him.

I won't claim I didn't join in a little, and I probably would've been just as bad, but he led the meetings and I just didn't know enough gossip to be able to poo poo on someone's head all night. Everyone else had more class than that, though. The Erics are faultless, and everyone else only contributed normal levels of bitching. And I don't begrudge anyone complaining in private a little about some fuckup someone did, or making a little fun of the fans when they're annoying. But whatever anyone else did, only one guy told me at great length how everyone not currently on the writing team was basically a useful idiot, propping up Exalted until it could be gloriously reborn under the guidance of the guys with the best opinions.

Only one guy in those meetings relentlessly called sometimes annoying but unerringly faithful super-fan Inugami a "retard" and mocked him with some stupid voice. For hours.

At a time in my life when I was trying to dig myself out of that loving relentlessly negative attitude, every 2-4 weeks I would sit there and grin and laugh, listening to someone be as bad as the White Wolf Exalted forum ever was for three or more solid hours.

I'm not some prolific professional RPG guy, so maybe I've got the wrong impression. Maybe the only thing impressive about Holden's vitriol is its stamina. If all-night bitchfests about perfectly nice people are normal, I'm pretty okay with burning those bridges and being blacklisted from those parties.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Man that is hosed up.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

quote:

Only one guy in those meetings relentlessly called sometimes annoying but unerringly faithful super-fan Inugami a "retard" and mocked him with some stupid voice. For hours.
Like seriously?

Just forget it I'm done.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

DID YOU EVER TALK ABOUT ME THIS IS IMPORTANT

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Heart Attacks posted:

Like seriously?

Just forget it I'm done.

Well, not like all in one sitting, no. But if I made a single mp3 of all the Inugami "voice sessions" it would probably be 3+ hours.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ferrinus posted:

DID YOU EVER TALK ABOUT ME THIS IS IMPORTANT

Do you have any other screen names because maybe.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Plague of Hats posted:

Do you have any other screen names because maybe.

Naw, I'm just Ferrinus. I've clearly not been a thorn in your (well, formerly "your") collective sides nearly enough, though!

I mean, I dunno. The Exalted fanbase, right? Kind of hard not to make fun of large segments of it... in voice chat... until six am...

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Naw, I'm just Ferrinus. I've clearly not been a thorn in your (well, formerly "your") collective sides nearly enough, though!

I mean, I dunno. The Exalted fanbase, right? Kind of hard not to make fun of large segments of it... in voice chat... until six am...

I can't imagine sustaining the stamina to make fun of one person for that many hours in a row unless that person is both a) right in front of me and b) you, Ferrinus

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Also sorry Lea and everyone else who doesn't deserve whatever collateral poo poo may ensue, but seriously gently caress what happened and gently caress being politely quiet about it.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

Plague of Hats posted:

Well, not like all in one sitting, no. But if I made a single mp3 of all the Inugami "voice sessions" it would probably be 3+ hours.
I can't imagine finding out that the people behind something you love personally hate you will be nice.

Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Did Holden ever complain about a poster named Snarky?

Ferrinus posted:

I'm pretty cantankerous and even I have found better things to do at 6am.

Like, you know, sleeping.

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 28, 2014

• Locked thread