Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The Hero 359 is currently on sale at isellpens.com for $8 instead of the usual 15. For that price it's a good buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

So it is is a straight up Safari clone? Do they wrote as well as the original?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

rio posted:

So it is is a straight up Safari clone? Do they wrote as well as the original?

Yes and very near. The Hero nib has a little more feedback than the Lamy, and the nibs are interchangeable (doesn't seem to be the case for the Jinhao 599 which is also a Safari clone). The Hero is also noticeably lighter than the Lamy.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
If anyone's looking for a vacuumpiston-filler with a broad nib, I'm selling a Pelikan M200 in SA-Mart, $85 shipped.

E: vvv yup, not braining good.

One Swell Foop fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 23, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Everything Burrito posted:

What's the best way to clean out the barrel of a hard rubber eyedropper pen? I have one that I'd like to use more often but I'm a little afraid of just sticking it under the tap because I thought it was bad to get them wet. I've been rinsing out the inside with a syringe but that's really inconvenient and takes a long time, plus that's a little too :spergin: even for me. I don't have a lot in the pen and it's not branded so I don't think it's valuable or collectible, but it is in nice shape and I'd hate to be the one that turned it all gross and brown by not knowing any better. By the same token, I bought it to write with so I'm ok with risking a little cosmetic damage if there isn't a better way.

Fill with an eyedropper/syringe, empty, fill again with a drop of ammonia added, wait for a bit, empty again, rinse out with water.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

One Swell Foop posted:

If anyone's looking for a vacuum-filler with a broad nib, I'm selling a Pelikan M200 in SA-Mart, $85 shipped.
That's a piston filler, surely.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

blowfish posted:

Fill with an eyedropper/syringe, empty, fill again with a drop of ammonia added, wait for a bit, empty again, rinse out with water.

Welp that's what I've been doing sans ammonia so I guess I'll add that and keep doing it. Thanks!

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
Nib size question: What does everyone actually like to write with?

I find myself usually using a F/EF; I really can't stand anything above an M for all note-taking, sketching and just general writing. What's the point of going for something like a B or Music nib?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Landsknecht posted:

Nib size question: What does everyone actually like to write with?

I find myself usually using a F/EF; I really can't stand anything above an M for all note-taking, sketching and just general writing. What's the point of going for something like a B or Music nib?

I have 3 pens with different sizes of italic nibs inked up right now as well as B and M 78Gs. My handwriting is fairly loose and I like the way it looks with a fat line and the thin/thick variation from the italic. I got an F Metro that I use if I need to write small like on a form or something but just in general I kinda hate how spindly the line is and couldn't imagine going any finer than that. I like using pretty ink and a fat line showcases the colors better as well.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I like using a nice fat nib that lays down a thick line and shows the ink's shading well. I only have one pen with a nib smaller than a euro F/japanese M, one of my daily writers is a 1.8 mm italic.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
My favorite is writing with italic or stub nibs. I typically write with Pilot M nibs. My TWSBI F is too fine. I love seeing the richness of color and shading of the ink I'm using, and a finer nib doesn't give me that satisfaction. I'm also a calligrapher by hobby, so I love the line variation of italic script.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
My handwriting is cramped as it is, so I find F/EF nibs (or non-Western M nibs, like the Pilot Metropolitan) work well for me. A Broad nib would probably make my handwriting unreadable.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Solumin posted:

My handwriting is cramped as it is, so I find F/EF nibs (or non-Western M nibs, like the Pilot Metropolitan) work well for me. A Broad nib would probably make my handwriting unreadable.

Same, I write very very small and anything above a F results in illegible blobs appearing on the page. I almost stopped at the metropolitan because it just wasn't working until I picked up an EF Safari and figured it out.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Modified the feed in my Vista to write wetter, now it's perfect for the 1.5 italic on it :toot:

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I use almost exclusively M nibs, whether they be Japanese M's or western M's. My first fountain pens were all F and EF, and my writing looked horrible, so I moved up to M's.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Landsknecht posted:

He's a professional comedian; he released a book in the John Hodgman sort of vein; being overtly pretentious to mock a lot of the "artisanal" type stuff that marketing departments latched onto a few years ago.

For this very reason there are a fair amount of pen brands I actively avoid; I'll probably never own a Montblanc just because I'd then be the sort of person who owns a montblanc. IMO they're the rolex of fountain pens; quite nice with decent quality; but also overpriced and owned by the sort of people who want you to know how much money they can spend. Visconti and some other italian brands are in this category; they price their stuff astronomically and it's more about luxury than quality.

The Japanese brands, like pilot/namiki and sailor seem to have good pens at reasonable (for a FP) prices; and I'll probably stay with them (I ordered a namiki falcon from amazon for about $110 recently, heh).

Visconti are worth the price of admission. They make the best quality pens money can buy. Sure, you can get a very good pen that performs almost as well for a fraction of the price, but Visconti isn't trying to mass produce its pens like Pilot are. Italian brands still have a sort of artisanal quality to them which ramps up the price, but you also get attention to detail that you won't find anywhere else.

I wouldn't spend $3000 on a gaudy limited edition Visconti, but there are some sub-$1000 Viscontis I plan on owning in the future. Stephen Brown consistently says that his favorite pens are Viscontis, and he's tried a lot of pens

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Duro posted:

Visconti are worth the price of admission. They make the best quality pens money can buy. Sure, you can get a very good pen that performs almost as well for a fraction of the price, but Visconti isn't trying to mass produce its pens like Pilot are. Italian brands still have a sort of artisanal quality to them which ramps up the price, but you also get attention to detail that you won't find anywhere else.

I wouldn't spend $3000 on a gaudy limited edition Visconti, but there are some sub-$1000 Viscontis I plan on owning in the future. Stephen Brown consistently says that his favorite pens are Viscontis, and he's tried a lot of pens

It's a pretty strong assertion to say that Visconti make the best pens out there, especially because even some of the larger companies produce wonderful pens, just think of the Pelikan M1000, MB 149 and the Sailor King of Pens. There's also a few Japanese brands (Nakaya and Danitrio) which produce absolutely stunning and beautiful pens.

The thing with favourite pens is that there is a huge amount of personal choice in the matter. I think that Italian pens (Omas, Aurora, Visconti) are often quite flashy and gaudy, whereas many German and Japanese pens are quite understated, which I find more tasteful.

Another reality with getting any high priced pen is that it is, like a watch or car, a total status symbol. I'd be pretty unhappy if I lost my $60 TWSBI, not to mention a nicer Pelikan, Waterman or Namiki. With pens it might be nice to spend piles of cash on really fancy poo poo, but the reality is I'm way happier with a whole pile of sub-$200 stuff, as I can regularly carry, use and do what I want with these pens without having to obsess about pen safety (if you actually think about pen safety in your daily life/routine then gently caress you).

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Landsknecht posted:

(if you actually think about pen safety in your daily life/routine then gently caress you).

If you don't talk to your pens about the dangers of Baystate Blue, who will?

Edit to add: I have a nothing against the ink. BSB is fine in a Preppy, but keep it away from my white Kaweco Sport!

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

milpreve posted:

If you don't talk to your pens about the dangers of Baystate Blue, who will?

Edit to add: I have a nothing against the ink. BSB is fine in a Preppy, but keep it away from my white Kaweco Sport!

There's normal pen care stuff, e.g. using proper inks (no india ink, flush registrars and some noodler's frequently), keeping your pen in a case/slip and other things in that vein. Then there are the people who get obsessive-compulsive about anyone else even touching their pen, or using a pen outdoors, or leaving it laying on a desk, etc.

I'm sure we all have that friend (or were even that person) who went and bought a pair of $300 jeans and then proceeded to freak out anytime their pants could have gotten sweaty or dirty. Nobody is really happy with the person who is all twitchy about their expensive thing. Don't be the person paranoid about their pen.

A pen is primarily a functional instrument, and if you can't easily afford to replace it then downgrade (unless you're collecting and just locking that poo poo up).

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I don't understand the people that buy an expensive pen and then don't actually use it. What's the point? A pen's a tool and is made to be functional, use it for it's goddamn function! These are generally the same people that will buy a Ferrari and leave it in the garage because they don't want their new precious baby to get scratched.

I have some reasonably expensive pens and I'm happy to take them out and use them wherever, and god forbid even let people that have never used a fountain pen before use them! Hell, my M90 is more of a beater pen that I will throw around more than any other pen I own, frankly I think it looks better now it's worn than it ever did brand new out of the box.

If I'm ever lucky enough to own some more expensive pens then you know I'll be carrying them around and using them, a pen that's not being used is a waste of space.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

pienipple posted:

Modified the feed in my Vista to write wetter, now it's perfect for the 1.5 italic on it :toot:

What'd you do for this? Just cut the feed to be slightly wider?

I ask because I have a Vista that is just super-dry when compared to my Al-Star and I'd like to be able to use it with inks that aren't especially wet.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Daerc posted:

What'd you do for this? Just cut the feed to be slightly wider?

I ask because I have a Vista that is just super-dry when compared to my Al-Star and I'd like to be able to use it with inks that aren't especially wet.

Yep. I pulled the feed out and cleaned it, took the little slide piece off, ran the tip of an xacto knife down the the two ink channels with light pressure and put it back together.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Vitamins posted:

I don't understand the people that buy an expensive pen and then don't actually use it. What's the point? A pen's a tool and is made to be functional, use it for it's goddamn function! These are generally the same people that will buy a Ferrari and leave it in the garage because they don't want their new precious baby to get scratched.

I mean you're basically like 90% of the way there but you're not taking the last step. Just because a pen is normally a functional tool doesn't mean it can't be used as a piece of art. I don't really have the space to do that sort of thing, but i'd totally use a pen as piece of pure decoration.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

D you all generally keep all of your pens inked or just 2-3ish? I have 11 pens now but still find that I keep them all inked just because I like to write with different colors and sizes, but I'm sure I am wasting/drying up ink by doing so. Is it bad for the pens?

Also I got the Hero Safari clone and two other Hero pens (the 360 degree nib one and a Parker clone) in the mail today. If anyone is interested in how these cheapos perform I can post some samples and photos later if you like.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I'm interested, I've been looking at one of those Parker-alikes and I love fiddling with cheap pens.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

pienipple posted:

I'm interested, I've been looking at one of those Parker-alikes and I love fiddling with cheap pens.

Let me know if my writing is not readable for the review. tldr: I like it and the price is certainly right. I'm sure there are some total dogs though and it might be luck of the draw in terms of getting a good one or not.

rio fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 27, 2014

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

rio posted:

D you all generally keep all of your pens inked or just 2-3ish? I have 11 pens now but still find that I keep them all inked just because I like to write with different colors and sizes, but I'm sure I am wasting/drying up ink by doing so. Is it bad for the pens?

Currently I have 5 pens on my desk at work and one in my bag that are inked, for the same reason you stated -- wanting to write with different colors and sizes. More than that and I start to run into problems with pens drying up, but so far it's not really been an issue beyond needing to clean them out well before either refilling or putting them away. I guess as long as you're not using some sediment-heavy ink that turns into cement when it dries I don't see why having one dry out on you would be a problem, but that's just my experience and I'm not using really nice pens I'd be worried about so :v:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

rio posted:

Also I got the Hero Safari clone and two other Hero pens (the 360 degree nib one and a Parker clone) in the mail today. If anyone is interested in how these cheapos perform I can post some samples and photos later if you like.

I keep about 2-3 inked up and everything else clean. I figure that so long as you're using the pens, it's ok to keep them inked otherwise clean them out.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Thought the pen thread gang might be amused at the awful link of the day from a couple days back

rio
Mar 20, 2008

no they will not posted:

Thought the pen thread gang might be amused at the awful link of the day from a couple days back

There's a front page?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

no they will not posted:

Honestly disappointed there wasn't a direct jab at this thread.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I haven't seen any of us talk about opening a fountain dating site.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
"edc mb?" would become the new "u hung?"

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

cobalt impurity posted:

Honestly disappointed there wasn't a direct jab at this thread.

No one who posts on the forums knows about the front page, no one who posts on the front page knows about the forums.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

rio posted:

Let me know if my writing is not readable for the review. tldr: I like it and the price is certainly right. I'm sure there are some total dogs though and it might be luck of the draw in terms of getting a good one or not.

About what I've come to expect from Hero then. I like the look of them so I might grab one soon.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Living near a fountain pen shop is dangerous. I was waiting for my friend to show up for dinner so I went browsing for a bit, and then this happened

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Tulip posted:

I mean you're basically like 90% of the way there but you're not taking the last step. Just because a pen is normally a functional tool doesn't mean it can't be used as a piece of art. I don't really have the space to do that sort of thing, but i'd totally use a pen as piece of pure decoration.

Oh I totally get that a lot of pens have some artistic merit and are worthy of display, don't get me wrong. I'd just like to see those pens used more than they usually do. I know of a guy that has an entire collection of the Montblanc Writers Editions and literally never uses them for writing, which to me is just unthinkable. But at the end of the day people can do what they like with their multiple thousand dollar collections I guess. :shobon:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Eh, people with too much money always do unfathomable things with it. At least they're spending it on pens and not realdolls, I guess.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

neongrey posted:

Eh, people with too much money always do unfathomable things with it. At least they're spending it on pens and not realdolls, I guess.

What's the difference again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
If you try and put a realdoll into a pen, it won't fit.