Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
I see no reason to preserve a logo as editable text. Just do what's fastest (hint: it's converting to outlines and dragging the points around).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You don't NEED to keep the logo itself as editable text, it's just smart to ether document the font used or have it exist somewhere else. You never know when it might be needed again.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
What makes you say it's a finished logo that you can guarantee will not need to be edited? It looks like part of a logo in progress. What if you want to change the font or tweak the kerning?

I don't see a reason to not keep it editable.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lost Type logo. http://www.losttype.com

But agreed. There's no reason not to keep a version of a logo with editable type.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm planning a time capsule and I want to bury (among other things) some writing. What materials and techniques would afford me the greatest print permanence? I'm talking longest possible timespan without having to engrave forty pages in bronze.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Acid free, archival paper for starters. Look for reams that have the infinity symbol in a circle on them, as they meet ISO standards for lasting several hundred years.

Either that, or you want cotton paper. However neither will do well if they're not stored in a cool, dry place.

e: You could also look into vellum, but it actually needs some humidity or else it will crumble into dust. Most of the crazy, super old paper texts that still exist in the world were written on vellum. If you go this route you need to make sure you're buying actual vellum as opposed to synthetic. This is probably the most expensive option, and you'd need to go to a specialty paper store to find it. The other two you can probably just pick up at an office depot or staples or something.

e2: Most expensive option: laser etch onto plastic.

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 6, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Alvarez IV posted:

I'm planning a time capsule and I want to bury (among other things) some writing. What materials and techniques would afford me the greatest print permanence? I'm talking longest possible timespan without having to engrave forty pages in bronze.

The biggest problem is making drat sure water doesn't get in.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Kloaked00 posted:

There's a goon artist who's done banner ads before, where they take will take a photo and paint it for you, and they offer a wide variety of sizes. Anyone know who that is or if they still have a thread? I found two people offering similar things on SA Mart right now, but I don't think either is who I'm thinking of.

Anyone?

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Hey guys! I've been making little figurines out of Sculpey and have a few questions. First, what's a better material than Sculpey? It's kind of rear end to work with. Second, I've been painting them with acryclics, what should I seal them with to protect the paint? Right now they're still kind of tacky and could definitely use something to harden up the surface.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Semisponge posted:

Hey guys! I've been making little figurines out of Sculpey and have a few questions. First, what's a better material than Sculpey? It's kind of rear end to work with. Second, I've been painting them with acryclics, what should I seal them with to protect the paint? Right now they're still kind of tacky and could definitely use something to harden up the surface.

If you want something cheaper, this woman does some amazing stuff with paper mache. I like it better than sculpty because it's cheaper and I don't have to bake it. I'm basically making sculptures out of penny savers.

Can anyone suggest a good tablet? I'd like something closer to 9x12", and I'd like it to spend less than $200.
And does anyone have a good suggestion for GIMP tutorials? Or whatever software comes with the tablet you suggest?

Clockwork Eggplant
Nov 3, 2010

Then he said he has hair, it's just that it's scalp-colored.

Semisponge posted:

I've heard some good things about Monster Clay, but if you want to preserve what you make you'll need to make a mold from it and cast with a different material, since Monster Clay doesn't air dry and can't be cured by baking.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
I want to learn to draw. I have copies of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and The Natural Way to Draw. I'm going to work through these books and practice as much as I can. Anything else I should know?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Grouco posted:

I want to learn to draw. I have copies of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and The Natural Way to Draw. I'm going to work through these books and practice as much as I can. Anything else I should know?

Life drawing, do lots of it. Doesn't matter if its a model in a class, or some junk you had lying around in your house, or if you are just doing self portraits with a mirror, etc. It's all good. Just practice drawing from life with a focus on accuracy.

As far as techniques, materials ,and everything else goes there are a lot of ways to go about things and they all have their pluses and minuses but life drawing is pretty much the foundation by which everything else gets built upon so don't neglect it. You can do other things in addition, but life drawing needs to be at least part of your studies.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.

JuniperCake posted:

Life drawing, do lots of it. Doesn't matter if its a model in a class, or some junk you had lying around in your house, or if you are just doing self portraits with a mirror, etc. It's all good. Just practice drawing from life with a focus on accuracy.

As far as techniques, materials ,and everything else goes there are a lot of ways to go about things and they all have their pluses and minuses but life drawing is pretty much the foundation by which everything else gets built upon so don't neglect it. You can do other things in addition, but life drawing needs to be at least part of your studies.

Thanks. There seems to a be a strong focus on life drawing in The Natural Way to Draw.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

titanium posted:

So this site is using a photo I took without my permission, what do I do to get compensated for it? It's the background one they over sized, I'm guessing they took it off my tumblr page.

http://www.fastcompany.com/tag/soundexchange

Kedo's advice is solid on this, just popping in to say that a license for this kind of use can be in the several hundreds of dollars, and feel free to tack on more because they put it up without permission.

You won't get it but on the offchance that you manage to shame them properly and it gets in the hands of a semi-decent employee you can get what it's worth. Since Fast Company is one of those heavily online "innovation" joints, I'd tweet them too, and maybe try to get the story in Valleywag

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I have a Sony Nex-5, and I'd really like to connect an external microphone to it somehow (instead of relying on its crappy internal microphone). But I have no idea where to start on this. I know that Sony has its own mic for this kind of purpose, but it still picks up wind noise. I was hoping for a wireless, lapel microphone that can be attached to the talent's collar or something. Is it even possible to connect a wireless microphone so it feeds the audio into my recorded footage? I know how rookie this sounds, but I'm really new at this. :ohdear:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 28, 2014

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Grouco posted:

Of interest: Self-Taught Thread: Let's Steal an Art Education!

To echo JuniperCake, do lots and lots of life drawing, but be mindful of the point of the exercise: it's not just to draw the thing you're looking at, it's to draw what you see instead of what you think ought to be there. (Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain does an excellent job of reinforcing this, but I just wanted to be explicit.)

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone in here understand how ASCAP/BMI work for music streaming rights? And if so can you explain it to me or link me to some documentation?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Are those 'digital paintings' a lot of scifi concept art is done in made with Photoshop?

I mean this type of stuff just in case

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

The Royal Scrub posted:

Are those 'digital paintings' a lot of scifi concept art is done in made with Photoshop?

I mean this type of stuff just in case

Yeah, most of that stuff is Photoshop or Painter.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Quick question--a coworker asked me to look at a small piece of art that I'm thinking is Japanese, but might be Chinese--if I were to start a thread asking for help figuring it out would it be better placed in one of the art subfora or in Ask/Tell?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If it's only one piece, you could just post in a bunch of existing threads.

honestly the D&D China and Japan threads might be your best bet

is it so subtle that you can't just describe it here? There are significant differences between Japanese and Chinese (and Korean) art.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 11, 2014

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Do you have a picture of it? If so why not just post it here?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Okay, I can do that--I wasn't sure at first because this subforum seems mkre about creating art itself.

The piece itself.

Close-up of the signature.

The main reason I'm unsure of the point of origin is there's a couple characters I can't tell if they're stylized hiragana or kanji. I know that the little red box is a type of signature I've seen used in Japanese art, no idea if it's used in Chinese art though.

hobbesnoob
Jul 8, 2014
Grimey Drawer
I recently obtained a calligraphy set.

Question: How can I improve my writing to make use of this calligraphy set? Basically, I want to get more into calligraphy and I need resources to brush up. I learned the basics a few years ago but I forget most of it.

Also, how exactly do I learn how to write with other fonts? Do I trace or do I have to try and copy a set to get practice?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Anyone know of any online printers that will do a spot varnish business card ?

Overnightprints was my first attempt... but they charge $80 to ship to Canada! Seems a bit excessive for $15 worth of business cards.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Trying to identify a print I really like that I bought at Goodwill this afternoon.

I don't know much about much, but it seems to be in the style of Emil Nolde, which matches the signature on it.

I've been googling Nolde flower prints but I haven't come across the original for this one. Just kind of curious what its name is and when it was painted and all that fun stuff, if it's even a print of a real painting he did.

I was thinking maybe someone in here might recognize it.

Thanks!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The title seems to be just "Red Poppies and Larkspur".

Tip: you can actually search by images in google, so I took your imgur URL and googled that, and it took me to similar images.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Oh awesome, did not know that. Thanks for your help.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
How are children's books that have lots of illustrations get setup when someone is preparing it for submission? Do they make a mockup of the book with the drawings in their correct places, or are the drawings submitted with the text but not put together with it?

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

I'm trying to edit an old video in Premiere Pro 5.5, but all I'm getting when I load it up is a green screen and occasional flickers of scene. It's in mp4 format, and loads and plays fine in VLC. Anyone have suggestions for how to get it to work in Premiere, or another software I can use to edit it? (Editing will mainly just be splicing into chunks to put on youtube).

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Either I'm being trolled, or you guys seriously don't allow posters to crosspost stories from outside forums.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3652666

Are you telling me that I'm self plagiarizing by reposting something I made no money on if it was also posted in another forum? Do they own it now or do you have to make sure that you own it? This continuous targeting of every little thing I do is ridiculous.

Ps. I think the people who brought this up are just continuing a flame started in the thunderdome. I'll still erase the thread if it's a problem.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 23, 2014

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

Either I'm being trolled, or you guys seriously don't allow posters to crosspost stories from outside forums.

Are you telling me that I'm self plagiarizing by reposting something I made no money on if it was also posted in another forum? Do they own it now or do you have to make sure that you own it? This continuous targeting of every little thing I do is ridiculous.

Ps. I think the people who brought this up are just continuing a flame started in the thunderdome. I'll still erase the thread if it's a problem.

Why don't you ask a mod privately about the rules instead of this passive aggressive whiny poo poo?

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

NancyPants posted:

Why don't you ask a mod privately about the rules instead of this passive aggressive whiny poo poo?

I didn't pay for the private messages feature.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

Hi! To answer your question, it's just fine to crosspost stories from other places. We don't care about rights, previous publications, or anything!

The goal of posting stories is usually to get critiques. Sometimes, when people see that something has been posted other places online, they might wonder if you listen to the critiques you get. Critiques in CC are all done by amateur writers on their own time (with one or two exceptions like very helpful poster General Battuta), so it's good to be respectful and show that you're at least considering what they have to say.

Well, that's my post, cya.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Adobe Illustrator CS6 question.

I have some vector shapes with drop shadows. But those drop shadows keep "peeking" over my work area, so whenever I convert the file to a PNG the drop shadows show up over the work area edges.

I want the drop shadow to end where the white work area ends. Is there any way to do this?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Look into clipping masks. I'd find an appropriate tutorial if I weren't phone posting.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/clipping-masks.html

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

kedo posted:

Look into clipping masks. I'd find an appropriate tutorial if I weren't phone posting.

Thanks for the suggestion, guys. However, I'm trying to avoid clipping masks because I've run into printing issues when using them. Any workarounds that don't involve the use of clipping masks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

melon cat posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, guys. However, I'm trying to avoid clipping masks because I've run into printing issues when using them. Any workarounds that don't involve the use of clipping masks?

Make the shadow with a gradient map, and don't use any raster effects, then divide the shadow along your work area edge and delete the excess.