Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Supersonic Shine posted:

Holy poo poo, this country's falling back into the late 1800s.

Give the supreme court another few years and we will be there :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
There is a silver lining to this whole unending House GOP Clusterfuck: They may have just accidentally legalized weed in DC.

Clearly Stephen had Doris on one day too early.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Melissa McCarthy is kinda funny but I can't help but feel like she's been hamstrung by uncreative producers in Hollywood.

Like, they see her and think "I have this script for a movie I wanted to put Chris Farley in, but he died and it's just been gathering dust, but oh boy now Melissa McCarthy is here, just switch the gender of a few of the characters and bam we're set!"

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Oh man, British Fox News guy and Ablow is being a dumbass as usual.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

JT Jag posted:

Melissa McCarthy is kinda funny but I can't help but feel like she's been hamstrung by uncreative producers in Hollywood.

Like, they see her and think "I have this script for a movie I wanted to put Chris Farley in, but he died and it's just been gathering dust, but oh boy now Melissa McCarthy is here, just switch the gender of a few of the characters and bam we're set!"

But I thought gender bending was progressive and feminist!!

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Seriously guys?

You're just being petty dicks at this point.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I feel like Batshit Serious should be a more common bit.

JT Jag posted:

The Heat was pretty good.

Holy poo poo, gently caress you dude.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Acquilae posted:

Ablow pulled this out of his rear end on another Fox News show today. Nobody was buying it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Acquilae posted:

What the gently caress are they even on about? The World Cup is some kind of false flag?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

raditts posted:

What the gently caress are they even on about? The World Cup is some kind of false flag?
Honestly, you could throw any topic at Ablow and be amazed at the crap that comes out of his mouth.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Marijuana, World Cup, and Obama. Coincidence?

Probably.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Oh good the possum drop.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
...Whacking Day is a true story. Jesus loving Christ.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So they just drop a possum on people?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

JEEEEZUZ!

I'm sure I can find stupid poo poo the Connecticut Senate does but I'm so glad I don't live in the south.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
You know you need to move where dropping a opossum a tree is a thing you consider entertainment

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm sure I can find stupid poo poo the Connecticut Senate but I'm so glad I don't live in the south.

The irony is Republicans would've never taken over the state if half the NYC metro area hadn't moved there.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Cut the crap and ask him about the Wet Hot American Summer series.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Man it feels like they just got back. I wonder what sorts of massively interesting/terrible things will happen during this break.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

Hazo posted:

Man it feels like they just got back. I wonder what sorts of massively interesting/terrible things will happen during this break.

I shudder to think.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Hazo posted:

Well stuff they've already missed:
-Like I said earlier, they may have just accidentally legalized weed in DC.
-The Supreme Court thinks a 35 foot safety barrier outside abortion clinics "violates the First Ammendment" because the only protesters there are kindly old ladies who would like you to read a pamphlet.
-Fuckin' freeloaders, am I right?
-Obama wants to fund "properly vetted" rebel groups in Syria, because apparently we have just lost all our memories of the 80s.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

comes along bort posted:

Obama probably is at least agnostic though

His writings and statements on the matter really strongly suggest that he's a true believer. I mean, he could be lying, but I don't think we can assume that without evidence. Also, Hernant Mehta has a good blog post on why Maher's claim is stupid:

quote:

The unstated implication from Maher’s perspective is that Obama is too smart to be religious… which is an insult to, well, all the smart people out there who also happen to be religious. His intelligence and academic pedigree is hardly a reason to just assume he’s non-religious. It’s just wishful thinking.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 27, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Majorian posted:

His writings and statements on the matter really strongly suggest that he's a true believer.
Of Islam.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Of Islam.

Well, now, I just said he wasn't an atheist, not that he's a Christian...:tinfoil:

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

404GoonNotFound posted:

-Obama wants to fund "properly vetted" rebel groups in Syria, because apparently we have just lost all our memories of the 80s.

If you're talking about Afghanistan, Reagan gave money to the Pakistani's who in turn funded the wackos. So no we haven't.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

All the nonstop John McCain stuff on The Daily Show seems weirdly personal sometimes. Did McCain bitch about Stewart's 2008 election coverage or something?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well stuff they've already missed:
-Like I said earlier, they may have just accidentally legalized weed in DC.
-The Supreme Court thinks a 35 foot safety barrier outside abortion clinics "violates the First Ammendment" because the only protesters there are kindly old ladies who would like you to read a pamphlet.
-Fuckin' freeloaders, am I right?

-On Monday, we find out if corporations can have religion and whether state employees are allowed to unionize.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Obama made a strong bit of reaffirming his faith in order to try and ward off the idiots who claimed he was a Muslim (which somehow is unacceptable for the President of what is supposed to be a secular nation?), but otherwise I would say generally falls in the 'believer, but doesn't let it blindly lead him' category.

On the World Cup conspiracy note, I would have called what the actual hell on them somehow supposing that it, along with marijuana legalisation and the like being some of eurphoric distraction organised by Obama to take eyes off his eeeeevil schemes, but then I recall how they think Iraq troop withdrawals were agreed, and conclude they cannot understand the concept of things existing any longer than the current President has been in office.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Skunny Wundy posted:

All the nonstop John McCain stuff on The Daily Show seems weirdly personal sometimes. Did McCain bitch about Stewart's 2008 election coverage or something?

I think at least part of it has to come from a bit of a sense of betrayal. McCain used to be on TDS all the time, and he and Stewart had great discussions. McCain was less extreme and rigid than he is now, and if they weren't friends, they were at least amiable. But when McCain ran for president, he became much more ideologically rigid, and he started to refuse invitations to be on the show and seemed to sell his soul to get the nomination. I think Stewart has gotta feel a bit betrayed, but also has to feel like McCain is so full of poo poo and fake that he can call him on it. That's been my take on it, anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Astro Nut posted:

On the World Cup conspiracy note, I would have called what the actual hell on them somehow supposing that it, along with marijuana legalisation and the like being some of eurphoric distraction organised by Obama to take eyes off his eeeeevil schemes, but then I recall how they think Iraq troop withdrawals were agreed, and conclude they cannot understand the concept of things existing any longer than the current President has been in office.

You just can't see the genius of a plan that hinges on the American people caring about soccer.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If your not the type to watch interviews, watch the Paul Rudd interview with Colbert, it was the perfect thing to get over the Tobacco farmer :argh: and Republican Warfare Queens :argh:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ClydeUmney posted:

I think at least part of it has to come from a bit of a sense of betrayal. McCain used to be on TDS all the time, and he and Stewart had great discussions. McCain was less extreme and rigid than he is now, and if they weren't friends, they were at least amiable. But when McCain ran for president, he became much more ideologically rigid, and he started to refuse invitations to be on the show and seemed to sell his soul to get the nomination. I think Stewart has gotta feel a bit betrayed, but also has to feel like McCain is so full of poo poo and fake that he can call him on it. That's been my take on it, anyway.

McCain has always been full of poo poo and will say anything that he thinks will get him votes even if his actions suggest the complete opposite. He's probably worse now, but don't let anyone fool you into thinking he was ever "one of the good ones."

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I don't really get the sense that targeting McCain is anything personal on the Daily Show's part... but just a matter of pure saturation. After the election in 2008, McCain receded a bit. He was still around, but seemed to get the message that people wanted him to gently caress off. Even during the 2012 election, I don't recall him being that visible a part of the push behind Romney. But this last year or so? Holy loving poo poo has he suddenly been making the rounds across the media to twist the knife in Obama's side about everything. It seems like I can't even turn on CNN without seeing him as a guest on one of their political panels. He's making a specific effort to be highly visible and vocal lately, so it seems natural that the Daily Show would farm him for material.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Generic American posted:

He's making a specific effort to be highly visible and vocal lately, so it seems natural that the Daily Show would farm him for material.

Oh god, he's making his third run for the president in 2016 :stonklol:

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

raditts posted:

McCain has always been full of poo poo and will say anything that he thinks will get him votes even if his actions suggest the complete opposite. He's probably worse now, but don't let anyone fool you into thinking he was ever "one of the good ones."

Fair enough. I guess the fact that he at least used to be willing to seem more moderate makes him seem like a beacon of sanity these days, which is more telling about the rabid ideological fanaticism these days than about McCain.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

Obama made a strong bit of reaffirming his faith in order to try and ward off the idiots who claimed he was a Muslim (which somehow is unacceptable for the President of what is supposed to be a secular nation?), but otherwise I would say generally falls in the 'believer, but doesn't let it blindly lead him' category.

This. I think people like Maher easily forget that you don't have to be George W. Bush to be a theist.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Paper Kaiju posted:

Oh god, he's making his third run for the president in 2016 :stonklol:

2016, where attacking Hillary Clinton for her age seems to be one of the main GOP talking points... despite McCain being 20+ years older.
Yeah, that sounds about right.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Why are Republicans pushing the idea of going back into Iraq? Is there growing support among the American people to get back in there?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Why are Republicans pushing the idea of going back into Iraq? Is there growing support among the American people to get back in there?

I think that Republicans just like seeing how much stupid poo poo they can sell Fox News viewers on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Nope, most Americans are pretty strongly against it. They feel they have to try to salvage the neoconservative legacy as best they can, which is adorable, because, you know. Tough to salvage that which was unsalvageable from the get-go.

• Locked thread