Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Forzelt posted:

I do not agree. The Killer Mikes are a much better team than the Calamities, and this might be Monathin's only chance to avoid regulation.

The Killer Mikes are a much better team than the Calamities, and that's true whether Frank Thomas, Albert Pujols, Paul Konerko, or Sammy Sosa is the final dude in the Calamity lineup.

There are 20 games left in the season. Yes, 7 of them are head-to-head. If the Mikes run down the Calamities, it's not going to be because of 1b. One player just doesn't make that much difference. Especially when by moving Mathewson, there are fewer dudes in the Calamity rotation that can keep the bullpen from entering the game and doing lovely bullpen things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
If only there were some complex simulation by which we could settle this argument.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

The Merry Marauder posted:

If only there were some complex simulation by which we could settle this argument.

McFreeze: Can you run this simulation? Or, can you sufficiently handicap the Killer Mikes in order to ensure the continued success of Ohio based SL teams?

I strongly prefer the latter.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XIII, Week 24: Probably Not Worth the Wait

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

PHARMAS WIN HARDCORE AND TELEVISION TITLES ON HEILMANN HOME RUN, WORLD IN MOURNING

The Canyons of Your Mind- Did it have to be this way?

The Pharmas are no one's idea of an elite team. In any other division, they'd have probably be eaten alive due to their anemic offense and erratic pitching. In this year's Senor Goodtimes Division, however, a .500 record makes a team a champion, and while the Pharmas have not proven capable of maintaining a winning record for more than a game or two at the time, they have proven themselves to be the best of a bad lot.

Still, being the best in a bad division does not mean the Pharmas are truly good, and, while they had won the first two games against the Thunder in this series, it appeared that their luck had finally run out, as the Thunder had a 5-3 lead in the bottom of the ninth, and Mariano Rivera on the mound.

Of course, the Pharmas being the most nettlesome of teams, they would not go down quietly, narrowing the lead to just 5-4 after an Alomar single and a Henderson RBI double to lead off the inning. Rivera then hit Tip O'Neill with a pitch, and it suddenly appeared as if the Thunder were going to melt down at the worst possible time.

But Rivera is made of sterner stuff, and retired Paul Waner on a liner for the first out. Rickey Henderson, then feeling some unknown compulsion to try and win the game on his own from second base, chose to try and steal third on the next pitch. But Henderson's timing was a split-second off, and he made the second out of the inning at third base, leaving the Pharmas without a runner in scoring position and down to their final out. That left Harry Heilmann, recently traded to the Pharmas from the Bombers, as the Pharmas' last hope to win the game and the mildly coveted Hardcore and Television titles.

In a just world, Heilmann would have flied out to end the game, allow the Thunder to retain their titles, and save the Super-League from another smug set of remarks from FairGame, who has taken the position that his team's relative success in entirely attributable to his genius as cultivated by being a Cardinals fan. As the Super-League is perhaps the least just world of all-time, so injust, in fact, that if the eponymous protagonist of Voltaire's Candide, were ever to visit, his near-instaneous reaction would be to beat Pangloss to death with a wooden club, Heilmann hit a walk-off home run to give the Pharmas the win, the titles, and a bit more breathing room in the Senor Goodtimes Division chase.

As one would expect, FairGame did not let the opportunity to toot his own horn pass by, "As the Ombudsman of the Super-League, I must inform you all how great it is for the league that the Pharmas, after so much struggle, have proven the inherent meritocracy of the Super-League system. Many of you, no doubt, were growing concerned. After all, you likely asked, how can I hope to have any success in this league if FairGame can't lead his team to victory? And it's a fair question. We've all seen my posts and my lineups and my roster moves. It's pretty clear that I'm a cut above."

"But let's be clear, that's not because I'm inherently smarter than all of you. Smarter than some? Certainly. Smarter than most? Probably. But intelligence is not enough. If it were, then CthulhuDreams and his Thunder would have easily triumphed today. Sadly, though, CthulhuDreams will always lack that one quality that would have made them true winners. I am, of course, discussing that ineffable greatness possessed by the St. Louis Cardinals and their supporters. Without it, a Super-League owner will never be able to understand what truly make a team a 'winner.' And will, instead, chase after mere numbers."

"To summarize, I would like to first congratulate Smasher Dynamo for making the Pharma's triumph, perhaps the most important game of this season, the headlining game this week. My victory shows that, far from being corrupt or defective, the Super-League properly rewards greatness. That said, I Would also like to condemn Smasher Dynamo for his biased reporting on today's game, which made it appear that the Pharmas' winning was somehow a suboptimal outcome. Clearly, that is unfair. I also question his choice of a quote from Candide. Very literate, no doubt, but who is he trying to impress? We came here for baseball, not half-jokes based on Enlightenment satire. Still, today was an improvement on that front."

GAME NOTES

-CthulhuDreams was in a state of shock after the game, "Cthulhu got C. Cthulhu's C did right. But Cthulhu still lost. Cthulhu needed C, Cthulhu got C, but Cthulhu does not win? Cthulhu needs C, yet does not need C? Give C to Cthulhu? Do not give C to Cthulhu? Cthulhu is adrift on C of uncertainty."

-Given that Dolph Camilli is now batting .133, things have progressed past him struggling to him likely being a sleeper agent for the Finger-Bangers.

Box Score

Don May posted:

KNIGHTS UNLEASH FULL POWER OF SMALL-BALL, BEAT BOMBERS 7-6

Oklahoma City- There are three British teams in the Norris-Smythe Division and, right now, it's looking like all three are going to survive.

The Knights had been locked in a tight battle with the Kobe Crows for third place but the Crows have struggled this week, giving the Knights a prime opportunity to wide their lead over their rivals. To do so, though, they'd have to take out the always-dangerous, though rarely-consistent, Oklahoma City Bombers.

And no one represented the promise and peril of the Bombers better than their closer, Mariano Rivera. On the one hand, if there was one reliever who should be trusted to save games in the Super-League, one would think it would be Mariano Rivera. On the other hand, his tenure with the Bombers has been marked with disaster after disaster, interspersed with brief moments of brilliance. It is no surprise that managing these Bombers eventually drove mentholmoose to madness. After all, could any man stay sane watching a team with this much talent constantly squander their chances for glory?

But Rivera was still the Bombers' closer, and the Bombers could only hope that he could hold a 6-5 lead against the Knights. The inning did not start off promisingly, as Joe Sewell walked to put the tying run of first. The Knights having faith in smallball, Revenant Threshold's next move was ordering a bunt, which moved Sewell to second at the cost of an out. John Olerud then singled Sewell home and the Knights drew even at 6-6. Calling for Tommy Leach to pinch-run for Olerud, Revenant Theshold decided that if smallball had worked once, it could work again and ordered Honus Wagner, his best hitter, to move Leach to second. It was a questionable move, similar to the disastrous strategy he had employed four weeks ago against the Crows, but Revenant Threshold had confidence, and Wagner, loyal to the last, executed his order, moving Leach into scoring position while making the second out of the inning.

Giving up the second run in an inning is rarely a winning strategy, but Revenant Threshold had reason to think it would work. Tris Speaker was due up next, and he was one of the best contact hitters in baseball. Leach, standing on second, was fast enough to score on just about any struck ball and, with two outs, he would be running on contact. Rivera, trying to pitch himself out of the jam, failed once more for the Bombers, allowing a single from Speaker, which gave the Knights a 7-6 lead.

Still, Rivera ended the inning immediately after the Speaker single, and the Bombers were done only one in the bottom of the ninth. They could make this comeback, they just needed one good at-bat to get things started. Sadly, they would not get it, as the Bombers made three quick outs, and the Bombers suffered one more disappointing loss in a season full of disappointments.

Revenant Threshold lauded his team's play, "Outstanding job, lads. It's shame that we couldn't finish higher than third place this season, but at least we didn't come in last like the Crows. Oh, I know, the season isn't yet over, but I have a pretty good feeling that when we're done, we'll be sitting comfortably in third, and the Crows will, I suppose, be eating crow, the filthy cannibals. Of course, as nice as it is to put one over on HulkedMatt, I do still feel bad about not being able to overcome the W's or Rakers. Losing to a Wanderers fan is pretty humiliating, it would be like one of you losing to a Cincinnati Reds fan. They're a dismal team from a dismal town. Not even a city. And the Rakers? I'm from England, and, until gingemidget showed up, I had never heard of Barrow. Of course, it turns out that no one born after 1850 had either, but that's beside the point. I'll say this, I know that a lot of you Americans think that London and the UK are synonymous, and I would just like to tell you that you're dead-on about that. It's my own drat fault that the W's and Rakers keep getting by, and that's something I really want to work on next year."

Speaking for the Bombers, Arky Vaughan tried to put the best spin on the season, "Hey, it looks like we're not going to fall to the Sub-Par League, and that's good enough for me. I know that our ship will come in one of these seasons. Of course, knowing our luck, the ship will turn out to be cursed, and we'll all be killed by maritime zombies, but I've long since come to terms with the grim truth that the sea is going to kill me one of these days. It's inevitable. Somedays, it almost seems like the sea is laughing at me. But I ain't goining to go down without a fight. And neither is this team. We're both fighters, drat it! And if the sea, or any one of these other assholes in this league, thinks that they're going to take the Bombers down, they got another thing coming. We may go down, but we sure as gently caress ain't going down easy. gently caress the ocean!"

GAME NOTES

-Stan Coveleski issued six walks, and struck out none in a comically bad start for the Knights. Fortunately, Clemens was almost as bad, and the Bombers could not capitalize.

-George Winn got the win. Clearly, he was right to change his name from "Failure L. Losermann."

Box Score

Don May posted:

PREMODERNISTS ANNIHILATE COBURNS 13-2, SOLIDIFY WILDCARD LEAD

Fort Sumner- In the end, there can be only one.

But, before that, there will be two, in that, due to a rule change made several seasons ago, there will actually be two wildcard winners in each league.

And, with two weeks left in the regular season, it certainly looks as though the Premodernists, in a sizeable upset, will be taking one of those spots.

Few people, coming into this season, would have picked the Premodernists to go anywhere, let alone to secure home-field advantage in a wildcard showdown, which seems likely at this point. They had a lot of good contact hitters but, as our nation's top sabermetricians have told us again and again, contact hitting is not as important as power or patience. For that matter, even if they had great contact hitting, they were put in a division with two teams, the COlliders and Llamas, that both lived and died by their power hitting, and created stadiums to complement that style. The final member of their division, the Pirates, were rather clearly the class of the league. In short, the Premodernists were in a sizeable amount of trouble before the season even started.

But then things started going right. The Llamas, the most volatile of teams thanks to their home stadium, which essentially turns any game into a 50/50 proposition, bombed badly. The Colliders bet it all on their double Ruths being so good as to make everything else irrelevant, only for their new hitter-friendly stadium to diminish the quality of their pitching just enough to give the Premodernists the slightest of openings. And, to their credit, the Premodernists took it.

The Coburns, on the other hand, have spent the last few weeks in a tail spin after the Losers, returned to the full measure of their power, relentlessly chased the Coburns down for the Division lead, leaving the Coburns virtually out of the division race with two weeks left, and barely clinging on to the second wildcard in the Dynamo League, with the Colliders and Dinos looming larger every day in their rear-view mirror. They desperately needed to win this game, especially with their owner, Warm Sarsaparilla, still incapacitated after being decapitated by Humungus several weeks past. As the Premodernists are fellow members of the Syndicate, they no doubt were hoping that the Premodernists, with a relatively secure lead for the first wildcard, would extend a lifeline.

Were the English langague constructed differently, it would almost be fitting to say that, instead, the Premodernists sent a deadline but, as that word carries a different meaning entirely, it is enough to say that the Coburns' earnest pleas for aid from their brothers were duly ignored, as the Premodernists, eagerly looking forward to their first postseason appearance in history, utterly crushed the Coburns 13-2, bolstering their own chances of reaching the playoffs marginally while serious jeopardizing the Coburns' own hopes.

NotThatSamBeckett who, after careful consideration, has decided not to use the new user name assigned by LowTax, explained that, "Listen, it's not that I want to beat the Coburns, it's just that all of Marauder's other dudes have made the playoffs, the Imperialists have done it, the Coburns have done it, even the Gumshoes did it that one year and then never again, although they did get that really cool banner in the process, and, I mean, I'd really like to get a cool banner, but until the Pirates get killed by the Macho Men, that's probably not happening, so what I'd really like is to make the playoffs to show that the Premodernists are just as good as any of the other Syndicate teams because, sometimes, it feels like a lot of the other teams are laughing at me because my team doesn't have any sluggers, and mainly uses a bunch of guys from the late 19th century, which means that the roster keeps getting hit by typhoid outbreaks and stuff, and also most of them don't believe in antibiotics, and many of them keep making these vague, menacing threats against Williams Jennings Bryan, and they keep saying that they're going to crucify him on a cross of gold, except he's been dead for, like, 70 years at this point, so that's kind of not the most productive thing, and it's an issue."

GAME NOTES

-Paul Assenmacher did not have a good relief outing, as the Premodernists managed to carve him up for six hits and six runs in just a third of an inning from work.

-Ty Cobb hit his first home run of the year. In week 24 of the season. The Premodernists really don't have a lot of power hitting.

Box Score

Don May posted:

RAKERS BURY SYMPHONY 7-5, DECLARE PROG ROCK DEAD

Barrow- Rogers Hornsby's walk-off home run didn't sound like a batted ball, it sounded like a death knell for the Symphony.

Winners of the chaotic Senor Goodtimes Division just one season ago, the Symphony engaged in a number of questionable moves in order to prove an abstract point about style in the Super-League. Meanwhile, the rest of their division made moves based on hard numbers. mrnoun, owner of the Symphony, had hoped that, if the Symphony could win this time, it would show that team building was an art, not a science, and those who used mere numbers to build their teams would never prosper for long.

That plan, noble as it is, has not worked well, as the Symphony have struggled greatly this season and, with today's loss, find themselves 4.5 games out of third place, and thus survival. The Symphony have not performed up to expectations, and it looks like they will shortly pay for such underachievement.

Not that gingemidget, owner of the Rakers, had much sympathy for the Symphony, "Hey, we've all got problems." gingemidget said, slightly surlier than usual, "You know what I had to do this weekend? I had to make the W's a championship banner, because I couldn't beat them this season. And that's a real pain in the arse. But your team? I sure as hell can beat your team."

"It's sad, really. The end of the great mrnoun dynasty. I can still remember back in the day when the Luna Landers were just about the scariest team that I had ever seen. Four seasons later, they still are, but they're gone, the Galactic Wanderers are gone, and all that we have left is the Symphony, the degenerate offspring of a once-great lineage. Like prog rock, their excesses ate them alive, and an eternity of punk rock is born. Then again, unlike yourself, I never had much objection to punk rock myself, and given that Genesis gave birth to Phil Collins, I can't say I'll be especially sad to see prog rock's most prominent advocate hit the bricks."

mrnoun was not ready to concede, "Where there's life, there's hope. A lot of people out there seem to think that there's a neat arc in all of this, a clear progression from birth, through life, to death, that we rise only to fall, one last time. As the ancients knew, the eternal return is the true nature of the universe. What is happening now, has happened before, and will happen again. We cannot break these cycles that rule the universe, but only wait for the wheel to turn once more. Our desolation is just one station on this wheel, our triumphs could not last forever, the cycle had to turn on, whether I wanted it to or not. Men like Marauder try to hold back time, but I know better. From the moment my team was born, it was fated to die. To pass into the stars like its brothers, not as exalted, but still remembered. The stars call us home, and we cannot deny their call forever. The earth will spin, the stars circle the sky, and the wheel will spin, someday to return to the beginning."

GAME NOTES

-Oh, and then Harmon Killebrew's arm exploded. He will miss the remainder of the season, despite his repeated assertions that "Pain don't hurt."

-The Rakers' preference for making their starters through complete games ran headlong into their four-man rotation today, as Lefty Grove was forced to make a spot start as Juan Marichal was in no condition to start today's game, having thrown nine innings in five of his last six starts. Marichal vowed that, "Tomorrow, I go to the mound and I throw the complete game. It is who am I, and it is what I do." Marichal is battling teammate Dazzy Vance for the Super-League Complete Games crowd for the second straight season.

-I would like to apologize for not getting this update on time. Although, come to think of it, it wasn't my fault, and if I had posted it on Tuesday, like I originally planned, then the whole update schedule would have been completely thrown off, with the Super-League getting two weeks ahead of the Sub-Par League, and that would be utter madness! You fools! Do you have any idea the damage you could have caused had your anguished cries for a Tuesday update been granted? The entire Super-League would have been thrown off its axis, and chaos would reign. And chaos is cruel monarch, with questionable domestic spending policies. Oh, sure, Chaos would have increased school funding, but only if the majority of the added funding went to charter schools! And we all know the harm that charter schools do to the public school system, allowing corporations to turn our children into a money-making enterprise, ensuring that, from birth to death, the power of money supplants the rule of law, and that, going forward, not only will corporations be people, but they shall be the only people left! You maniacs! You have doomed us all!

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

Guess what? The Thunder do actually have one last series with the Doom, and it will probably determine who gets home-field advantage for the Wildcard Playoff.

Analysis

Thank the lord for the Protectors, eh?

Analysis

Bizarrely, Nen started one game for the Colliders in April. Unlike in real life, where Nen was a terrible starter, he didn't do too bad.

Analysis

A brutally tough remaining schedule, but it's very hard to lose a 7-game lead with two weeks left. Just don't Gene Mauch it.

Analysis

On the plus side, that is a manageable schedule going forward.

Analysis

With some hard work, the Protectors can avoid losing 100 games.

Analysis

This team is something, that's for sure.

Analysis

If you finish strong, you'll stay in the Super-League another year. Make it happen.

Analysis

The division is practically locked up. Now the question is whether you want to tank to try and get the Senor Goodtimes winner instead of the wildcard winner.

Analysis

You've got the Crows on the ropes. One more good week, and survival will be yours.

Analysis

The good news is that you're only 1.5 games out of the wildcard, and you have four games with the Coburns, currently holding that slot, to end the season. Your fate is in your hands.

Analysis

Playoffs? Playoffs!

Analysis

If you go on a run, you might just make it. But I don't know if this team is capable of that last great burst that they'd need.

Analysis

Pharmas vs. Muggers is the most depressing rivalry in human history.

Analysis

Pass.

Analysis

Roger Clemens is a hateful man.

Analysis

Speeding right into a wildcard.

Analysis

The Ferrets are just in the wrong division.

Analysis

It's you vs. the Syndicate in a struggle for survival. And the Syndicate doesn't tend to show a ton of mercy.

Analysis

Getting close now.

Analysis

The Sic Transit Vir is the best division in the Dynamo League, and the Pirates are still going to have it locked up by next week.

Analysis

You're probably wondering who has taken over at catcher now that Martinez has suffered a minor injury. It turns out that Bellhorn, Dunn and Johnson are sharing catching duties. Kind of like "Three Men and a Baby", except with a facemask.

Analysis

At least your team is still pitching loads of complete games. Those are pretty cool.

Analysis

Ruth explodes with six home run in the week! The Super-League HR Record is back in sight!

Standings

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

I agree with Arky, gently caress the ocean!

I'll do another lineup also for the last two weeks.

vs. Both
LF - Henderson
2B - Collins
1B - Olerud
RF - Ramirez
DH - McGwire
3B - Torre
C - Berra
CF - Mantle
SS - Vaughan

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Bonds, Not Barry

You know, I really asked for that, didn't I? Any clue why he's been sore so much, when the rest of my roster hasn't been though?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

quote:

GAME NOTES
" Cthulhu is adrift on C of uncertainty."

Hahahahaha.

quote:

-Given that Dolph Camilli is now batting .133, things have progressed past him struggling to him likely being a sleeper agent for the Finger-Bangers.

Corner infielders are the best targets for indoctrination. Just ask Mssr. Boggs, if you can get a coherent reply.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

TheFlyingLlama posted:

You know, I really asked for that, didn't I? Any clue why he's been sore so much, when the rest of my roster hasn't been though?

He has a health score of 61. No idea why. If I had caught it, I would have fixed it, probably, but given that there are only so many hours in the day, there's no chance I can go through each player and fix stats like that on my own. I guess, going forward, you can challenge it when these type of things happen.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's rather soothing, actually, to not be on the cusp of "survival" for once. Literally any move I make will be detrimental to my team so I'm just gonna let it ride for the last two updates I have to pretend to care about. See you in SLXV.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

He has a health score of 61. No idea why. If I had caught it, I would have fixed it, probably, but given that there are only so many hours in the day, there's no chance I can go through each player and fix stats like that on my own. I guess, going forward, you can challenge it when these type of things happen.

Well, that would explain it. Thanks. If the season wasn't basically over, I'd probably think about it. Don't bother with it now though.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I will help my friend HulkaMatt by destroying the Knights, once and for all!

Restore the normal lineup vs. RHP.

1. DH Williams
2. RF Ruth
3. LF Johnson
4. CF Mantle

If my counting is correct, the last game of the season will be started by Marichal. And since there's an off day before the playoff (right?), Reuschel will be ready to go, so no problem there.

e: Well, there might not be an off day, but Reuschel will only pitch one game against the Muggers in week 26, so I can use a spot starter to keep him healthy if so.

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 27, 2014

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

Smasher Dynamo posted:

GAME NOTES:

Beautiful.

Well, good thing we won 5 games this week, cause these series look scary. Of course, it's probably all the teams we could face in the playoffs, so it'll be a good gauge at where the Tornados stand. Anyway, changes for the injury and Ernie Banks coming back to health:

vs. RHP no/DH
RF Hamilton
LF Kelley
CF Speaker
1B Stargell
SS Banks
3B Rosen
2B Stephenson
C Kelly/Simmons
Pitcher

vs. LHP no/DH
1B Kelley
LF Hamilton
CF Speaker
RF Belle
3B Rosen
SS Banks
2B Herman
C Kelly/Simmons
Pitcher

Thanks Smasher.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I, too, shall try to kill the knights because holy poo poo four games on the road vs. Bolton is undesirable.

Anyway, I don't know what I was thinking. Paco Rodriguez is in a bad slump, but terry Adams is just bad.

swap paco and Adams please. Thanks.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

While I'm thinking about it, I might as well ask this now, so we know how to set the postseason update schedule.

After last season's Expansion Cup, I did a live stream of the championship series. It was a great success! Everyone showed up and had a good time, until some guy ruined it at the end. Lots of fun for everyone.
I'd like to do it again for the Subpar League this season, and I want to informally ask what the best day would be.

My gut says that Sunday is the best day to do it, and so the most logical day would be July 13. But my sources tell me there's some kind of soccer game already scheduled for that day. So Saturday the 12th could also be an option, but Saturday isn't as good as Sunday, probably.

Another option would be to delay it until the week after. But barring something ridiculous like last season, this would be after the Super-League final. I don't like that because I feel the Super-League has to be the Main Event.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

quote:

I want this to be my team name but I don't think it would fit.

Plunder CORPS LINEUP CHANGESSSS WOOO

Assign Tettleton as personal catcher for SP 1, 2 and 3.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Alan Trammell posted:

While I'm thinking about it, I might as well ask this now, so we know how to set the postseason update schedule.

After last season's Expansion Cup, I did a live stream of the championship series. It was a great success! Everyone showed up and had a good time, until some guy ruined it at the end. Lots of fun for everyone.
I'd like to do it again for the Subpar League this season, and I want to informally ask what the best day would be.

My gut says that Sunday is the best day to do it, and so the most logical day would be July 13. But my sources tell me there's some kind of soccer game already scheduled for that day. So Saturday the 12th could also be an option, but Saturday isn't as good as Sunday, probably.

Another option would be to delay it until the week after. But barring something ridiculous like last season, this would be after the Super-League final. I don't like that because I feel the Super-League has to be the Main Event.

Is there gonna be another 90s playlist?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Much to Smasher's chagrin, the Macarena is a Jock Jam.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Analysis

: Pulling away, for some reason!
: If Dennis Martinez wins the EC Cy Young, I'm going to murder everything.

Analysis

: See, this Dwight Gooden is the best pitcher in their rotation! Do you see what you're missing out on, Andy???
: A lot of these dudes who are doing okay right now are gonna become gaping holes in your lineup so uh, panic

Analysis

: Ianetta is still doing better than I would've expected to be honest.
: I have no idea who Daryl Boston is, but he cannot draw a walk. Also, I have no idea where to start with their pitching. Uhh... so fix that, in the dispersal draft, I guess.

Analysis

: Well that's more like it.
: Losing Wagner is going to really, really hurt, primarily because you don't really have a backup shortstop worth a drat. That might be a problem.

Analysis

: All I know is this is a team thhat will probably get a Ruth or a Williams or a Pujols or something, and maybe then they'll score. But until then, Roger Bresnahan is STILL IN THE LINEUP WHY WHY WHY
: Bresnahan is bad but the good news is you already have a better catcher waiting on your feeders! Could you imagine what cthulhu would give to be in that position??

Analysis

: Momentum is a myth, unfortunately.
: They're pretty good, I just don't know if they're good enough to contend.

Analysis

: The way your guys got hurt this month kinda messed with the way I write the injury reports. They were all under 2 weeks so I didn't put them in it, but since there's like 3 they'll miss like 3 or 4 starts between them if that makes sense.
: It's post the all star break and they have no one on their team with double digit home runs. Smallball, learn how to play small ball. Master the bunt. Become one with the :punto:

Analysis

: Rusty <3
: LOOK AT ALL THE WALKS SCHMITTY IS DRAWING (he's still kinda bad but he's also your last best hope so)

Analysis

: Chin up, it's only mostly over!
: You need a C because despite being the best catcher of his generation Buck Ewing played in Pre-Deadball era and is thus kinda bad. Also there's the gaping hole in SS, but I think we covered that.

Analysis

: Your hitters seem to be starting to come back to earth. That will be an issue.
: We are now starting our descent, please put your trays in the upright position and turn off all cell phones.

Analysis

: The resurgence begins??? (no)
: Chuck Klein was your main offense producer and now he's dead. Both of these are very big problems.

Analysis

: You're still fundamentally better than the Fireworks even without Maddux, but this team needs to figure things out quick if they want to win this.
: mks5000, you are a charlatan and an awful deal-broker, but I am actually rooting for your guys to beat the fireworks, so figure out how to do that. You'd probably be in the lead if Maddux hadn't exploded, but not even Hubbell can carry your pitching for this long.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, I think the Pharmas winning the titles proves that the Wizards' magic works cross-league as well. That's good to know.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

It's post-All Star Break and I have the Hipsters to break my fall. Commence the Grand Pandering Experiment.

Dwight Gooden to SP3 and Sid Fernandez to SP4, owing to popular demand for the former. The displaced Jered Weaver and Daniel Cone will replace them at Short Relief.

I expected Home Run Baker to be handling SS in Peckinpaugh's absence, but I'm told HoJo is both already doing that and the superior of mediocre options. Run with it.

Finally, loath as I am to retire my #3 dinger man and #1 base stealer, Daryl Boston is only hitting .245 which implies either he's fanning or the Breegulls are loving him up in particular. Josh Hamilton out of quarantine and to LF, Boston to the minors to work out the kinks. With one base-steal pillar down, Nudge the Stealing Bases slider back to 0.

Team Doc has been fudged accordingly.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

1) gently caress Wally Berger he sucks, platoon Dwayne Murphey and Berger in Centerfield

2) Please actually put Ryno as the fulltime starter at 2nd.

3) I guess Arthur Rhodes goes in for the injured guy in my bullpen

4) Swap Hershiser and Schumacher in the rotation.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Did something similar happen to my Bonds too? I know I sat him for at least 4 or 5 games only a couple weeks back, but he's already back to sore.

----------

Unfortunately, as he is still sore, and I don't need any more stumbling blocks on the way to playoffs, I must shuffle the lineups again to give him some rest:

vs LHP
3B Frisch
LF Raines
RF Kaline
CF Charleston
C Torre/Martinez
1B Youkilis
2B Kent
SS Cronin
P Pitcher

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

That is, indeed, much more like it. Except for poor Honus.

Changes!

1. Replace Wagner with Rigney at SS. Let Cochrane or Bassler hit in the 1-spot, depending whose turn it is.
2. Recall Deacon Phillippe to SP3. Dutch Leonard replaces Tom Hughes at CL.

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

Big apologies to the rest of the Syndicate for that brutal thrashing and all.

Platoon Baker and Charlie Hustle; give Keeler the week off with Sam Thompson.

Guidry back in for Pettitte.

Thanks!

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Man, what a fuckin' bender. Blacked out for a month or so, and...ah, Christ.

Fire Assenmacher, stick in Bard. Rest Ott with a Klein/Davis platoon, and Barrold with Griffey.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

DL Sudden Sam, replace him with Rapid Robert. Collins back in at 2B, and I guess stick Berkman in a platoon with Frank Robinson for the look of the thing.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Hey, look, my Barrolds are breaking, too!

Rest Bonds with Snider again.

Ryan in for Rijo. Drop Wood and Hersh out of the expanded 'pen in favor of Aceves and Uehara (Hiller if he retired).

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Man, my pitching is normalizing out, but my offense... just... ouch. I did know going in that Zoilo and Delahanty needed to get out, but Cool Papa and Buck Ewing are bubble players too. I think Ewing will turn it around though.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

Viscount Slim posted:

DL Sudden Sam, replace him with Rapid Robert.

Sometimes I think these are actual players. Then I remember the Viscount's (bizarre) love of alliteration.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Week 25 Injury Report

Australian Thunder
Mariano Rivera (RP) (Could save anything except himself) - 12 days

Coburns
Chuck Klein (RF) (Nope!) - Out for Season

Florida Oranges
Nolan Ryan (SP) (The Cost of Doing Business) - Out for Season

Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Nolan Ryan (SP) (Jose Rijo has decided not to relinquish his spot in the rotation. Thank you for understanding) - Out for Season

Khartoum Doom
Babe Ruth (RF) (Uh-Oh!) - 12 days

Oklahoma City Bombers
John Olerud (1B) (Another betrayal by FairGame) - 13 days

Republic City Fire Ferrets
Ty Cobb (OF) (Striking for better conditions) - Out for Season

Pick 'em: Goooooooooooooooooold!

Intercontinental, Heavyweight and Larkin-Downing Championships
Florida Oranges @ Philadelphia Premodernists (c)

Hardcore and Television Championships
Fhloston Pharmas (c) @ South Bolton Eazy W's (4-Game Series)

Canadian Championship
Somali Pirates (c) @ Detroit Protectors

United States Championship
Rockford Losers (c) @ Cancun Tornados (4-Game Series)

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

That's bad!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Intercontinental, Heavyweight and Larkin-Downing Championships
Florida Oranges @ Philadelphia Premodernists (c)

Hardcore and Television Championships
Fhloston Pharmas (c) @ South Bolton Eazy W's (4-Game Series)

Canadian Championship
Somali Pirates (c) @ Detroit Protectors

United States Championship
Rockford Losers (c) @ Cancun Tornados (4-Game Series)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pick 'Em Standings are largely unchanged. McD got a perfect week, but he's too far back to be much of a threat unless things go absolutely haywire.

Gingemidget has a 3 point lead on both CFBalla and Llama.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Pick 'Em: Champs retain.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Congrats on having the thread go Gold, Smasher. How's it feel?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Monathin posted:

Congrats on having the thread go Gold, Smasher. How's it feel?

That we are one bad vote away from it not being gold. Fortunately, at the rate the votes accumulated, that won't happen for 3.8 years.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Pick'em

Wi's sweep and the rest retains.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

That we are one bad vote away from it not being gold. Fortunately, at the rate the votes accumulated, that won't happen for 3.8 years.

Mouse cursor hovering over the 1. Do I dare? Do I?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

mrnoun posted:

If my math is correct, it would require two 1s for the thread to fall under the gold threshold. But that wouldn't be nice.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

mrnoun posted:

There's a 99% that it's going to get down-voted relatively soon now that I've mentioned it, if only because the thread is essentially designed to create malcontents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Pfft. This thread doesn't create malcontents! this thread is an entertaining jaunt into bizzarro super-baseball. It deserves every single 5 vote it has ever received from the characterization of Humungus alone (Riggs and Kelly's tag team gets honorable mention).