Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

XenophobicAirport
Dec 15, 2007

Please have your weapons prepared at the terminal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcR9af_akCw

Unacceptable. Unacceptable.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
God that looks familiar. Speaking of familiar, have some Nintendo 64 games.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In case anybody's interested, that's Cherenkov Radiation, and it's :science: as gently caress.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 16:36 on Jun 27, 2014

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

In case anybody's interested, that's Cherenkov Radiation, and it's :science: as gently caress.

I've always liked to think of Cherenkov radiation as stuff being pulled over for speeding.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Descent?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It was all right.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
That's very mild in terms of vertigo inducing for Descent. I think level 10 had some awesome tunnels that would make great gifs, though.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

God Turok 1 was loving awesome. I remember using the all weapons cheat for the Chronoscepter and giving myself a migraine from all the screen flashes.

And then the series went to absolute and utter poo poo. :(

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
If anyone ever has a chance of seeing cherenkov radiation for real (a nuclear reactor or fuel rod storage in a pool), drop whatever you're doing and go and see it.

I did, and I couldn't help but keep staring. Pictures or video doesn't do it justice... It's literally like seeing the future.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

That's very mild in terms of vertigo inducing for Descent. I think level 10 had some awesome tunnels that would make great gifs, though.
There aren't enough Descent GIFs out there.

Fortunately I made one.

I still hate that they blew up the Pyro-GX at the beginning of Descent 3. The GL sucks.

Edit: another one!

Zeether has a new favorite as of 18:19 on Jun 27, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Perestroika posted:

Do I understand this wiki correctly? Is Cherenkov radiation essentially the light equivalent of a sonic boom? A photonic boom, if you will?

Because that's awesome.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Say Nothing posted:

Which way is this train moving?

I'm guessing recognising the platform is cheating?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

thanks!

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Do I understand this wiki correctly? Is Cherenkov radiation essentially the light equivalent of a sonic boom? A photonic boom, if you will?

Because that's awesome.

Exactly! And it is awesome. Seconding the rec to go see it in person if you can, the way the matter itself glows is so hard to even describe. Like, with a fire, you can see what's burning; with a light bulb, you can see the filament. With Cherenkov radiation, all the metal and concrete stuff starts glowing from within and without, it is very much unlike sources of light we see everyday... Like I say, hard to describe. Where I used to work we never got to pulse our reactor, so we didn't get the flash-bulb effect you see in some videos, but we still got the lovely glow.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Giflords, I have tried resizing this for a while and I can't get it to not look like rear end. Could someone make it avatar sized for me? The sides can be cropped a bit to make it more square.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not sure if this is what you meant by "not making it look like rear end" or not, but I resized it but it may be over the file size limit.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Koivunen posted:

Giflords, I have tried resizing this for a while and I can't get it to not look like rear end. Could someone make it avatar sized for me? The sides can be cropped a bit to make it more square.

Quick test:

e.little less janky:

Kennel has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Jun 28, 2014

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Unfunny Poster posted:

Not sure if this is what you meant by "not making it look like rear end" or not, but I resized it but it may be over the file size limit.

Looks good, but unfortunately it's 115 KB. I couldn't get it below 70 without losing all definition.

Kennel posted:

Quick test:

e.little less janky:

E: sorry didn't see your reply. The second one looks sweet, is there any way to get a tiny bit of movement in the gorilla dentist?

Koivunen has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Jun 28, 2014

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

A sick part of me wants this as an avatar.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

\

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPG2v6nLzdg

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Robert Denby posted:

You Only Move Twice

Still the best episode of the simpsons ever.

SnarkIncarnate
Sep 13, 2013

OMG. I'm like, literally... dead.

I require more owl gifs.
So much cute!

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Homer Badman :colbert:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Uhh, Last Exit to Springfield?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Koivunen posted:

E: sorry didn't see your reply. The second one looks sweet, is there any way to get a tiny bit of movement in the gorilla dentist?

It's probably possible (my attempt was pretty low effort) but those are expensive frames as pretty much every pixel changes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Really, it's Cape Feare.

"... I think he's talking to you..."

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:36 on Jun 28, 2014

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Koivunen posted:

Looks good, but unfortunately it's 115 KB. I couldn't get it below 70 without losing all definition.

The avatar size limit is harsh :

Aericura
Jun 12, 2003
I will eat your soul.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

I'm sorry but I really need a source for this one

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Cru Jones posted:

I'm sorry but I really need a source for this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U75rQ4OE0os

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Tsuru posted:

If anyone ever has a chance of seeing cherenkov radiation for real (a nuclear reactor or fuel rod storage in a pool), drop whatever you're doing and go and see it.

I did, and I couldn't help but keep staring. Pictures or video doesn't do it justice... It's literally like seeing the future.

If you do, make sure it's not from the dust you've extracted from stolen radiotherapy equipment and spread all over your favela and family.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

If you do, make sure it's not from the dust you've extracted from stolen radiotherapy equipment and spread all over your favela and family.

This is one of the incidents we use in my job to convince people to take the security of their radiological devices seriously.

Another is the "El Cobalto" incident. Moral of the story; careful what you find in random places, kids. Cobalt, especially, is nasty poo poo.

quote:

December 6, 1983 – Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. A local resident salvaged materials from a discarded radiation therapy machine containing 6,000 pellets of cobalt-60. The transport of the material led to severe contamination of his truck. When the truck was scrapped, it in turn contaminated another 5,000 metric tonnes of steel to an estimated 300 Ci (11 TBq) of activity. This steel was used to manufacture kitchen and restaurant table legs and rebar, some of which was shipped to the U.S. and Canada. The incident was discovered months later when a truck delivered contaminated building materials to the Los Alamos National Laboratory drove through a radiation monitoring station. Contamination was later measured on roads used to transport the original damaged radiation source. Some pellets were actually found embedded in the roadway. In the state of Sinaloa, 109 houses were condemned due to use of contaminated building material. This incident prompted the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and Customs Service to install radiation detection equipment at all major border crossings.[20]

Now for some nanomachine gifs:

Higgy has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Jun 28, 2014

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Metanaut posted:

The avatar size limit is harsh :

Awesome! Thank you so much! Lowtax is $5 richer.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Koivunen posted:

Awesome! Thank you so much! Lowtax is $5 richer.

That should take care of DB maintenance costs for the next year or so.

• Locked thread