Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Is there a special timing for the strong attack? I can hack merrily around with the regular attack, but the strong one only seems to register one in three button pushes?

Secondly, whats the deal with executions? The tutorial made it out that if you stun a dude and attack him he is immediately executed. I've been hitting people with Aard, but even while theyre on their back I can't do the execution. Does the enemy need to be beneath a certain level of health or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Is there a special timing for the strong attack? I can hack merrily around with the regular attack, but the strong one only seems to register one in three button pushes?

Secondly, whats the deal with executions? The tutorial made it out that if you stun a dude and attack him he is immediately executed. I've been hitting people with Aard, but even while theyre on their back I can't do the execution. Does the enemy need to be beneath a certain level of health or something?

Strong attacks are slower so sometimes you have to give them a second to go off.

Stunned means they're standing with a white "dizzy" circle above their head.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I had no problem with strong attacks registering, but keep in mind some of the more nimble enemies can dodge strong attacks more frequently.

Regarding executions, there are two levels of status effects when you hit with Aard. A normal hit will just stagger the enemy or make them fall on their asses. There is a small chance that instead you'll crit (boostable via talents in the magic tree), which will actually stun them. A stunned enemy stands still and sways back and forth with a little cartoon-style white circle above its head, and if you attack them you'll trigger the execution cutscene.

IIRC, Igni has a similar difference between normal/crit hits (normal just does a chunk of damage, crit will set them on fire).

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
Fixed my problem: I didn't uninstall completely and there was some old UI mod file still sitting around in my game folder. Thanks for the advice!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I don't think it's total trash, it's got some good stuff, but it's definitely a mod and feels like a mod.

Fair enough. I was saying that from a "should I install a mod for my first playthrough?" perspective, which I definitely would not recommend.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Bort Bortles posted:

Fair enough. I was saying that from a "should I install a mod for my first playthrough?" perspective, which I definitely would not recommend.

Totally, honestly I don't even recommend it for a second playthrough, but it's just not my thing. I know some people are able to put up with it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

cmykjester posted:

Yeah for some reason the steam version of the Witcher 2 starts to poo poo itself after you get too many saves.

I'm playing the gog version for the first time now. Hoping it would handle saves better.
You'll still want to trim your saves. Else load times will eventually get slower and slower.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
Man, I really hope The Witcher 3 handles saves better. There's no reason to rack up over 150 saves during one playthrough.

Just keep four or five autosave slots and one or two quicksave slots.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Roshnak posted:

Man, I really hope The Witcher 3 handles saves better. There's no reason to rack up over 150 saves during one playthrough.

All those saves saved my butt though when I'm playing on Dark Mode and missed the Haggling ability.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Roshnak posted:

There's no reason to rack up over 150 saves during one playthrough.

I disagree with this completely. I hate games that limit how many saves I can have. Every save must be a new save for me. However, they can put some sort of compression on them, since TW2's saves aren't compressed at all. If you zip them up they become something like 20% of the original size.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

There shouldn't be a limit on how many manual saves you can have, but keeping every single autosave is pretty ridiculous.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Wiseblood posted:

There shouldn't be a limit on how many manual saves you can have, but keeping every single autosave is pretty ridiculous.

This is what I meant.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, the autosaves are the problem. The save folder is more than 95% autosaves.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I just finished the Witcher 1, and decided to start on the Witcher 2. I played TW1 on normal, and I was pretty fuckin' good by the end (even if I never figured out how to make bombs, and spent many fights running in circles waiting for my health to regen).

Got to the tutorial arena, went through learning all the new systems, which all sound very complex and scary and oh god there's no pause button in combat anymore. Then I did the fight test, and tried to drop a fire trap. Unfortunately, the enemy was already next to me, and it exploded immediately, catching me on fire, and I died.

quote:

You have completed the tutorial!
Recommended difficulty setting:
EASY

:negative:

Also having to adjust key bindings and graphics outside of the game menus in what's otherwise a PC-focused game is annoying.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 28, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

PureRok posted:

I disagree with this completely. I hate games that limit how many saves I can have. Every save must be a new save for me. However, they can put some sort of compression on them, since TW2's saves aren't compressed at all. If you zip them up they become something like 20% of the original size.

I think the main problem is that the Load Game screen wasn't coded in a way that's smart enough to deal with a large number of saves. There shouldn't be any issue with the number of save games that the game produces, but it's obviously doing something that bogs it down horribly.

They probably should have allowed you to filter by auto and non-auto saves. Being able to name saves would probably help too for those of us with multiple playthroughs, either that or attach a name to a playthrough.

Also, leaving saves uncompressed makes saving and loading faster.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

Also having to adjust key bindings and graphics outside of the game menus in what's otherwise a PC-focused game is annoying.

Is it PC focused? It seemed pretty console oriented to me. It had the list style inventory system and tabbed menus that are present in most console RPGs. The character's movement wasn't very smooth with the keyboard (try rotating in place with just the keyboard, for example). They removed the ability to select signs with the number keys and replaced it with a single button to cycle through them.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think the main problem is that the Load Game screen wasn't coded in a way that's smart enough to deal with a large number of saves. There shouldn't be any issue with the number of save games that the game produces, but it's obviously doing something that bogs it down horribly.

They probably should have allowed you to filter by auto and non-auto saves. Being able to name saves would probably help too for those of us with multiple playthroughs, either that or attach a name to a playthrough.

Also, leaving saves uncompressed makes saving and loading faster.

While I agree with this, I also think that never overwriting autosaves leads to needless clutter. Especially if it takes more than a single button press to delete saves. I prefer a system of rolling through 5 or so autosaves. It's usually enough that you can realize when you've made a decision you aren't sure about and can go back and make a backup manual save if you want.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Roshnak posted:

While I agree with this, I also think that never overwriting autosaves leads to needless clutter. I prefer a system of rolling through 5 or so autosaves. It's usually enough that you can realize when you've made a decision you aren't sure about and can go back and make a backup manual save if you want.

A better system is probably unlimited automatic 'checkpoint' saves (like one after every major quest or before every major decision or such) but limited autosaves (5 or so). That keeps the count pretty manageable but also lets you roll back if you really need to.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
So I definitely understated the save problem, since I have 120 autosaves at the end of Act 1.

I also have to say that any fight where you aren't playing as Geralt -- specifically, the fight at the end of Act 1 -- is really terrible and kind of highlights some of the underlying issues with the melee combat in this game.

Edit: Actually, the save thing might be a bit of an overstatement, since the game just keeps adding on to the highest numbered save in the folder, and I had started a new game following the end of the prologue so I could import a new Witcher 1 save. It's probably closer to 75-80 autosaves in Act 1.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 30, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Roshnak posted:

I also have to say that any fight where you aren't playing as Geralt -- specifically, the fight at the end of Act 1 -- is really terrible and kind of highlights some of the underlying issues with the melee combat in this game.

That's a really stupid scene from a story perspective too. Sometimes it's just dumb, sometimes there's no possible time that it could've taken place.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Just downloaded Witcher 2 on the Steam Sale and noticed that when playing either my CPU or GPU fan (haven't confirmed which) starts going full throttle. Is this game naturally very processing intensive or am I missing something? I run a Radium HD 7800 and i5-3570K so I wouldn't think it should be getting that hot.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just downloaded Witcher 2 on the Steam Sale and noticed that when playing either my CPU or GPU fan (haven't confirmed which) starts going full throttle. Is this game naturally very processing intensive or am I missing something? I run a Radium HD 7800 and i5-3570K so I wouldn't think it should be getting that hot.

It's a heavy baby. Make sure to turn off UberSampling though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I don't think it's total trash, it's got some good stuff, but it's definitely a mod and feels like a mod.

Yeah, it's a very different philosophy of how the game should work; and it doesn't quite deliver on that philosophy. I played through the first couple of acts with FCR2 and it was fine, but I liked the original combat too so it's definitely not required or even recommended for a first go.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I just starting playing this recently. I have a quick question for those who might know. In the character screen there is an abilities tab, where am I getting these "buffs" from? I have various bonuses to things in there and it's never really explained.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I just starting playing this recently. I have a quick question for those who might know. In the character screen there is an abilities tab, where am I getting these "buffs" from? I have various bonuses to things in there and it's never really explained.

You randomly earn them by Doing Things. They seem kinda random but they have pretty specific criteria. Someone probably has a link to a list - I dont have it handy anymore because I have not played the game in months. May be able to find it with a google search.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 2, 2014

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Like he said, make sure you turn off Ubersampling, and you shouldn't have issues maxing everything else. You need something ridiculous like dual SLI 770s or 780s to run ubersampling with a good framerate.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

You randomly earn them by Doing Things. They seem kinda random but they have pretty specific criteria. Someone probably has a link to a list - I dont have it handy anymore because I have not played the game in months. May be able to find it with a google search.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Character_attributes

He might also be referring to the bonus damage you get to monsters and stuff, which you definitely get from reading books about them, but I'm pretty sure you also get from killing a lot of them and finishing their related hunting quests.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So I know we don't know what kind of hardward would be required to run Witcher 3 at peak capacity. But if you had to guess, what kind of video card/processor would be needed to run something that looks that good
?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Oh boy, this game sure loves dropping you into boss fights without giving you a chance to drink the potions it emphasises you using.

loving Letho.

Also, I chose to help Roche and punched the elf guy in the face, did I already make the 'big' decision at the end of chapter 1?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Also, I chose to help Roche and punched the elf guy in the face, did I already make the 'big' decision at the end of chapter 1?

Yep, depending on which decision you make there you completely change act 2 and get a different path through act 3.

vvv maybe I'm thinking of a slightly different moment then sorry

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 3, 2014

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Oh boy, this game sure loves dropping you into boss fights without giving you a chance to drink the potions it emphasises you using.

loving Letho.

Not yet. This will influence how the end of the act will play out and what you can learn, but there's still a short while before the 'big' decision comes.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 3, 2014

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Youll know when the "big choice" comes as youll get two quests called "crossroads Vernan Roche" and "Crossroads Scoiatel"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Yeah, one of the issues with a first playthrough is you just don't know exactly when you're supposed to potion up (which is one reason why I'd never recommend an Alchemist spec to a first-timer). For Letho, you have to potion up as soon as you see Iorveth waiting for you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lycus posted:

Yeah, one of the issues with a first playthrough is you just don't know exactly when you're supposed to potion up (which is one reason why I'd never recommend an Alchemist spec to a first-timer). For Letho, you have to potion up as soon as you see Iorveth waiting for you.

But the potions wear off during cutscenes :confused:.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Bort Bortles posted:

But the potions wear off during cutscenes :confused:.
The conversation with Letho shouldn't take that long. I've gone through all the dialogue and still had enough time on the clock for the fight.

That's not to say that the clock ticking during cutscenes and dialogue wasn't a silly choice. It was.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 3, 2014

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
For all the auto saving the game does in cities/through doorways, it sure scrimps on outdoor exploring saves. My own fault really, but just lost 10 mins due to constant nekkar fighting

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

You really need to hammer the quicksave in this game.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In my most recent playthrough I had to cheese Letho by using the Yerdn (yardn? Yernin? that trap spell) just set it up next to him and you can actually chain it for easy hits.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yrdening is one of the most effective ways to fight him.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I always just cut him up with my sword. Seems to work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007
Letho is actually really easy to kill. The trick is not to get too far away from him or he'll start throwing bombs and Igni at you. Stand just out of his reach and roll to the sides when he starts attacking and then stab him in the back a bunch until he turns around. Then repeat the cycle until the fight is over. You also have to watch for when he's going to use Aard and roll out of the way of that as well.

Honestly, it's kind of the way a lot of fights go down in this game. Just memorizing attack patterns and stuff. I don't like it and I hope the combat in The Witcher 3 is a little more fluid.

• Locked thread