Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I was on a go train last week and it was blackbarries galore
thanks obama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
i was in a meeting with a dude who had a not poo poo z10 earlier this week

haven't seen a playbook in the wild in a while though

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
i was drinking with a guy with a smashed z10 (i think) last night. he runs a blackberry website though

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

I was on a go train last week and it was blackbarries galore

was it heading to waterloo?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
follow up question: were they newer devices? b/c i have an almost five year old bb from work, i was going to replace it with an anroid but not much reason to do that now b/c :rip: my job next year

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

it was headed to mississauga and the blackberry owners were mostly people that looked like they worked in the financial district (assholes)

mostly newer z-whatever devices. a few bolds or whatever the older ones with the keyboards are called.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

it was headed to mississauga and the blackberry owners were mostly people that looked like they worked in the financial district (assholes)

mostly newer z-whatever devices. a few bolds or whatever the older ones with the keyboards are called.

If you have a friend with a rim job they can get you a new Q10 for like $99 so that's were most of them are coming from.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the blackberry q10: you wouldn't use it even if you had to lick an rear end in a top hat by proxy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

flakeloaf posted:

lick an rear end in a top hat by proxy

mods please

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lmfao some verizon cell phone kiosk guy got busted for fiddling with the inventory system and selling the diverted phones on ebay for $270,000. what gave him away? well...

quote:

Verizon Wireless employee stole 900 phones, made $270,000 profit on eBay
Jail sentence for salesperson who manipulated Verizon database to conceal fraud.

by Jon Brodkin - June 27 2014, 8:13am PDT

A Verizon Wireless account executive who pleaded guilty to stealing more than 900 cell phones and selling them on eBay for a profit of $272,290 was sentenced this week to 27 months in prison.

James Hopkins, 35, committed the fraud throughout most of 2009 while working as a business-to-business account executive at a Verizon Wireless branch office in Trevose, PA, according to a criminal complaint. He was charged with mail fraud and sentenced in US District Court in New Jersey, where Verizon is based.

"From February through November 2009, Hopkins placed numerous orders for Verizon Wireless cellular telephones, handheld devices and accessories in the names of existing Verizon Wireless customers without their knowledge," the US Attorney's office in New Jersey wrote in an announcement. "After arranging for the merchandise to be shipped to the home of a relative in New Jersey, the defendant manipulated Verizon’s computer database to conceal the fraudulent orders and shipments. Hopkins received $328,517 worth of stolen Verizon Wireless merchandise, which he sold on eBay for a profit of $272,290." That amounts to a profit of about $300 for each stolen phone.

Hopkins' scheme was uncovered by the US Postal Inspection Service after a shipment of eight BlackBerry phones in October 2009.

"In addition to the prison term, Judge [William H.] Walls sentenced Hopkins to serve two years of supervised release, ordered him to pay $303,623 in restitution, and forfeit $272,290," the announcement said. Special conditions including mental health treatment, debt restrictions, and occupational restrictions were also imposed.
thats right he ordered 8 bbry phones and alarm bells went off because theres no legitimate reason for anyone to ever order eight bbry phones

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

who the gently caress cares if a dead platform had a thing first?

media + people: iphone has a new thing yay!
#BBFactCheck: bbry already has it!!
media + people: yeah but now it's on iphone! yay iphone!!

also whatever thing blackberry tries to claim was probably on symbian first even

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Holy poo poo look at this thing

http://crackberry.com/exclusive-pre-release-review-blackberry-passport?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mods

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

isnt like the only reason to still buy a blackberry the hardware keyboard being the same as the one you're used to? y'know, instead of having a space bar in the middle of the bottom row of letters.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

That sounds like a winner to me. Now that the OS is basically done (upgrades and tweaks only), the ability to focus on the tech specs is where it is at. Chen did say they are looking at dual sim tech, but added he could not discuss...hmmm. The dual sim would perfect the balance feature!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

mishaq posted:

That sounds like a winner to me. Now that the OS is basically done (upgrades and tweaks only), the ability to focus on the tech specs is where it is at. Chen did say they are looking at dual sim tech, but added he could not discuss...hmmm. The dual sim would perfect the balance feature!

Make it thinner but keep it as sharp and square as possible!! Don't round it off at all please!!!! No way!!!!!! If you do it will loose it's x-factor!!

C00121953 channel for car freaks!!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Blackula69 posted:

he runs a blackberry website though

no wonder he was drinking

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the difference is obvious from this distance your honour

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
saw this today through gruber-postin' and finally gave it a read

two passages stuck out:

quote:

have purchased every single iPhone. My biggest complaint about how thin they are is that, as they get thinner, they become increasingly more difficult to pick up off of a table if they are not in a case.

quote:

The UI has changed just a bit, but I'm not getting into software in this pre-review. The camera is crisp. Autofocus has never been faster on a BlackBerry when it comes to the rear camera. Photos are crisp and the zoom does it justice. Low light photographs are much better but burst photography still needs some work. Shutter speed is definitely faster that any of the Samsung devices out there, but it's not an 'iPhone killer' by any means.

ALL IN ALL, FOR BLACKBERRY USERS, TAKING PICTURES JUST GOT BETTER.

That said though, it's much better than any previous BlackBerry camera. In HDR mode, the Passport asks you to hold still for almost 3 seconds which seems a bit excessive, but there's still room to fix that.
a cool camera review from someone who has absolutely no idea how cameras work or how to review them. also this reviewer has all kinds of iphones yet no ability to compare photos taken against the passport

also lol @ 3 second "shutter speed" for hdr in 2014

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

also like this thing has a 1440 pixel square screen. you wouldn't think it would be important to mention whether not the camera is taking square shots or 3:2 pictures or at what resolution in an age where camera functionality moves smartphones

3:2 shots bother me enough on a 16:9 iphone 5s god knows what they'd be like on a square screen

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

also like this thing has a 1440 pixel square screen. you wouldn't think it would be important to mention whether not the camera is taking square shots or 3:2 pictures or at what resolution in an age where camera functionality moves smartphones

3:2 shots bother me enough on a 16:9 iphone 5s god knows what they'd be like on a square screen

BlackBerry Passport: Powered by Polaroid®

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013
i was an intern at a building trains company once and there was this blackberry laying around to be delivered to an executive later in the day. i grabbed it and tried to visit the largest online news site on it and it was dreadfully slow even though it was connected to wifi. the site didnt even load and crashed before i could even read anything. unfortunately the browser autosaved the open webpages and the browser just kept crashing every time you opened it. i just put it back and hoped no one would notice. thats my blackberry story, ive avoided them like poison since. thanks.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
intern at a train company huh

how's the sperg working out for you

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Editor's Note: This is a pre release pre-review of the BlackBerry Passport. It was written by @halobandit based on his views of using the device personally.

I m the halo bandit.

no, I'm the cognitive dissonance.

For a second it felt like I was picking up a sexy new twist to the original Gameboy and that's a compliment.

as in long ago deprecated?

The keys are smoother than anything before. They're almost a tad slippery.

Also, it's really wide. I know the screen is just as tall, but the keyboard makes it feel wide. I had a passerby say it looked like a flattened Sidekick.

he must be in a very retro hipster neighbourhood for some passerby to remember the sidekick.

I have purchased every single iPhone. My biggest complaint about how thin they are is that, as they get thinner, they become increasingly more difficult to pick up off of a table if they are not in a case. The Passport has dealt with it.

#fathandsrejoice #upgrade2bb

You will have fewer things in the pocket thanks to the Passport, but it fits and it's snug.

like I won't have to put my iPad mini in my pocket anymore?

This model has 3 GB of RAM and 32 GB of on-board memory, though I did add a 64 GB SD card myself.

funny how RAM in a smart phone has become not an indication of how well it performs but how badly it's OS + touchwiz + ??? are optimized.

Finally, there is an easily accessible nano SIM slot to allow for easy SIM switching without the battery interfering. It isn't the easiest to remove, but it's debatable whether that's a good thing or not since it's very sturdy.

actually this is good for blackberry because

Not only can you be fancy like the keyboard on the Z10, Q10 and Z30, the keyboard is in fact touch sensitive. It's like the trackpad of a MacBook and you feel as if every part of the phone knows what you want it to do.

actually very cool, almost like the keyboard itself is a touch screen...

My faith in this BlackBerry has been shaky but I can say now that it's a strong device that makes you feel important, powerful, productive and ready to take on the world. For those of you you think it's bulky, when it comes to devices, the Passport is a Brooklyn bouncer in an Armani Suit.

tired of being a skinny nerd at the beach? bulk up and get the alpha dog of phones.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

the alpha dog of phones

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

oh it's a dog all right

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

the alpha dog of phones

mods

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Time to get caught up on this thread!

Nelson MandEULA posted:

BlackBerry launches low-cost phone for Indonesia

BlackBerry has launched a new low-cost phone "exclusively for Indonesia", one of the few markets where it is still a key player.

The BlackBerry Z3, Jakarta Edition will go on sale from 15 May for 2,199,000 Indonesia rupiah ($191; £113).

So...a "low cost" phone means "still costs a month's salary for an average person living there, basically equivalent to charging two grand for a phone here."

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

a lot of fail for one page

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
only read the title, I didn't know blackberry was making a watch ?!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

it's gonna be hella metal

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

although broken, bb fans will focus instead on the twice a day it is right

seems legit

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
deathwatch deathwatch DEATHWATCH DEATHWATCH

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

hey what's the proper way to destroy blackberries to make sure the data isn't too recoverable?

we have a pile at work that I've been tasked with disposing off

they're really loving old too

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

wild hogs

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Kenny Logins posted:

although broken, bb fans will focus instead on the twice a day it is right

seems legit

the android watch will be right four times per day though

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

FrozenVent posted:

hey what's the proper way to destroy blackberries to make sure the data isn't too recoverable?

we have a pile at work that I've been tasked with disposing off

they're really loving old too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cbY-QKl390

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

allow them to be used

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

yeah we tried that and they're old as ball, like they're not even phone snapped.

admin wants me to drill through them but erm I don't think that's a great idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
remove batteries and throw them in an industrial shredder

• Locked thread