Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Anyone have a stock DRZ exhaust they'd get rid of cheap?

Guy I work with had his bike stolen, and when it was recovered they had hacked up the muffler so he's just trying to fix it as cheap as he can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

iwentdoodie posted:

Anyone have a stock DRZ exhaust they'd get rid of cheap?

Guy I work with had his bike stolen, and when it was recovered they had hacked up the muffler so he's just trying to fix it as cheap as he can.

Can or headers? I have a header laying around that I found from my first DRZ. I'm assuming you want the silencer though.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Can or headers? I have a header laying around that I found from my first DRZ. I'm assuming you want the silencer though.

Yeah just the can/silencer. They chopped the end off, gutted it, then booger welded it back together.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

iwentdoodie posted:

They chopped the end off, gutted it, then booger welded it back together.

Why?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don't buy a vapor for the tach, they're super inaccurate and laggy anyway. The external temp is inaccurate, they're small, and they come with the aforementioned resale issues. I had one on my bandit and returned it, there is a reason they are so cheap given their feature set as compared to other aftermarket speedos.

The stock drz speedo is honestly better in every regard. Let the rev limiter be your tach.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Who knows why thieves do poo poo?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The Vapor for my KTM was an upgrade in every respect. Perhaps the DRZ gauge is better. However, having a readable display, tach, water temp gauge, and being able to program the odometer to match original mileage was great.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

MetaJew posted:

The Vapor for my KTM was an upgrade in every respect. Perhaps the DRZ gauge is better. However, having a readable display, tach, water temp gauge, and being able to program the odometer to match original mileage was great.

The DRZ has a pretty nice cluster for a dirt bike IMO. It has a big digital speedo read out, its backlight is a non eye-searing orange(?)ish color that is visible enough. Has ODO + trip buttons, etc. As JSB said you don't need a tach on a bike with such short gearing.

If you add in a tach with a shift light or something you're just going to be annoyed by a light prompting you to shift while you're already grabbing for the next gear anyway. I never had any problems with the DRZ overheating or anything in 100 degree+ heat every day so that wasn't a concern for me. If you want it to gauge when the bike is warmed up enough or whatever I always just let it heat up until it didn't bog when throttle is applied and I would feel the tops of the radiator to see when heat was getting cycled.

I'd put the money towards new cams / a big bore honestly. It's already got the FCR / exhaust after all. You don't need a 41mm carb unless you plan on going really crazy with mods (stroker kit, wide range trans, etc.) in which case I would recommend you to sell the bike and buy something more powerful/lighter from the get go instead of diving too far down the rabbit hole of DRZ mods.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

sikk azz shorty exhaust brah

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Don't buy a vapor for the tach, they're super inaccurate and laggy anyway. The external temp is inaccurate, they're small, and they come with the aforementioned resale issues. I had one on my bandit and returned it, there is a reason they are so cheap given their feature set as compared to other aftermarket speedos.

The stock drz speedo is honestly better in every regard. Let the rev limiter be your tach.

Yeah, I was wondering about that price. Also, wasn't aware they were small.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

The DRZ has a pretty nice cluster for a dirt bike IMO. It has a big digital speedo read out, its backlight is a non eye-searing orange(?)ish color that is visible enough. Has ODO + trip buttons, etc. As JSB said you don't need a tach on a bike with such short gearing.

If you add in a tach with a shift light or something you're just going to be annoyed by a light prompting you to shift while you're already grabbing for the next gear anyway. I never had any problems with the DRZ overheating or anything in 100 degree+ heat every day so that wasn't a concern for me. If you want it to gauge when the bike is warmed up enough or whatever I always just let it heat up until it didn't bog when throttle is applied and I would feel the tops of the radiator to see when heat was getting cycled.

I'd put the money towards new cams / a big bore honestly. It's already got the FCR / exhaust after all. You don't need a 41mm carb unless you plan on going really crazy with mods (stroker kit, wide range trans, etc.) in which case I would recommend you to sell the bike and buy something more powerful/lighter from the get go instead of diving too far down the rabbit hole of DRZ mods.

Yeah it's not that the speedo is -bad- or anything; The dual tripmeter that it has is basically my gas and oilchange gauge. I just heard about the vapor and went "Oh, that sounds cool". But from what everybody has said it's probably not worth it. Not to mention I'll end up ignoring the tach anyways because I figured out where the bike likes to shift forever ago.
I'll just save the $130 and buy beer and some new shoes or something.

Also, unless I gently caress up the top end of the motor I don't see myself bothering with a BB kit. I'm still not entirely sold on cams as it is, and those are "only" about $380. The only mod I can see myself seriously doing in the near future is -maybe- a different seat. The stock seat starts to suck about 2hrs in when I make runs to Brenham/Centerville.
e: Even then, I'm not sure the seat is bad enough to warrant spending $250+ on a different one.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I recently replaced my stock seat with a normal-height Seat Concepts seat. It's definitely better than the stock seat, due to the better quality foam, and wider butt-seat contact patch. But it's not going to blow your mind either, you're still riding basically a dirt bike, they're not made for comfort.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Don't skip those pre-ride checks, kids.

I did and this could have gone a lot worse for me. Found four spokes sheared off at the hub when I was putting my lock on after a first, very quick shakedown ride, my first in 3 months. Warp 9 wheels, put on by the previous owner. This bike's been stolen from the same spot before so there's a small chance someone popped the ends off these spokes somehow, but there's no damage around the holes in the hub and also that would be an idiotic and ineffective way to steal this bike.

I need to get in touch with Warp 9 and find out what the gently caress. I've seen complaints about cheap construction before, but Sisneros (who either did the conversion for this bike or was the inspiration) defends them and I had too until now. Not that I really had any basis for it except that they held the tires to the bike and went around in circles. There was a much thinner line between satisfied and unsatisfied then I knew. Lucky I found out this way and not the ambulance way.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Plenty of people use Warp 9 wheels. I wouldn't start up a raid on their headquarters just yet. Call them up and see if they'll help out but if not the price of a few new spokes is pretty low.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

No I'm not going to do anything rash. I just want to find out if it's a known issue, etc. I certainly haven't abused them in any way, I'm not a good enough rider to do that. Just curious if they might know what happened and why.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The next day, at Warp 9 HQ.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So I thought I was just having the worst jetting problems ever for like two months. My Hotcams were degreed incorrectly at the factory :suicide:

The only good thing is that they are in Iowa and I'm in southern Wisconsin so the turnaround from when I mail them tomorrow morning to when I get them back is like four days. Looking forward to all the horsepower that I was leaving on the table (I know it's a DRZ but it's the thought that counts)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The next day, at Warp 9 HQ.

haha this is awesome, is this the raid 2?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
For shame Razzled, for shame.

Hard Boiled.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Nidhg00670000 posted:

For shame Razzled, for shame.

Hard Boiled.

I will rectify this egregious mistake shortly. (no not with suicide)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Razzled posted:

I will rectify this egregious mistake shortly. (no not with suicide)

Just stay away from my front yard when you do

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Anybody have any experience with a WR426 supermoto? Looks like the only downside is the kick start. There's one local listed for $3500 with the usual upgrades. Street titled, of course.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

That's pricy IMO but depending on your area it can be a bitch to get something like that plated so it may be reasonable. Does it have 17" wheels? Those are like $1k bucks a set so that inflates the price of most conversions.

As far as WR426 problems I remember them having problems with shearing woodruff keys - I think 03 was the really bad year. What year is this one? Lacking E-start is gonna suck - you should see if it has a later auto decomp. cam swapped in - that should make it easier. I've heard WR's are a bitch to kickstart but that's heavily dependent on jetting and such.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Cool. It's an 02, has Excel wheels, freshly rebuilt forks, a big brake kit, vapor dash, Yoshi pipe and it's almost impossible to get anything titled around here. The only other option within 350 miles is a 2007 DRZ SM for $4500 (definitely not worth it, plus I already had a DRZ).

I wouldn't offer him asking price, was gonna start at $2500.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

For 2500 you'll probably have a bunch of fun on it and not regret it. If it has 17" excels with sportbike rubber you can easily offload those for 800 bucks later on - not sure if you mean a normal dirt bike 21/18" excel wheel combo. Tire selection is also much better with the 17" wheels IMO. You can use almost all the good sportbike rubber that way.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
02s were 426es.
03s were 450s. E: I'd avoid any yz/wr from this year. 04 is ok.

You might be able to retrofit said E start from a 450 onto your 426.
I know the later yz cases had casting bosses for a starter even.

My YZ starts on the first or second kick every time. get the jetting right and it'll save you much frustration. .

You can also plop a 450 piston/cylinder on it for a little extra power.

Price is a little on the highside, but you can probably talk the dude down.

fwiw: I paid 1500 for my 99.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 4, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

wallaka posted:

Cool. It's an 02, has Excel wheels, freshly rebuilt forks, a big brake kit, vapor dash, Yoshi pipe and it's almost impossible to get anything titled around here. The only other option within 350 miles is a 2007 DRZ SM for $4500 (definitely not worth it, plus I already had a DRZ).

I wouldn't offer him asking price, was gonna start at $2500.

If this is in CA, that's what the bike is pretty much worth for normal asking. Somewhere around 3k would be a deal for a plated, sumo prepped 426.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

It's in Bama. Slim pickings for pretty much anything around here. I'll shoot the guy an offer, I think.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Thats decent for Bama then. Its a pita to reg dirt toys for street from what I remember.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

God, yes. I have no idea why, considering the rest of the road laws.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So I went on my first "long" (~150 miles) ride yesterday and noticed a couple things. 1) My riding posture sucks and my back was aching a lot towards the end of the trip. 2) My hands felt like a half full jar of coins, like the bones were just jangling around. I assume this is due to the vibration of going highway speed and me gripping the bars much too tightly.

Some of this is clearly fixable with some input on my end but I think also some of it can be alleviated with some additional parts. I was thinking bar risers and a new bar, according to motorcycle ergo if I got another 1" of lift on my bars my arms would be level instead of angled downward. Would also help with standing up.

Thoughts?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Get a gold wing.

There are a few things you could do to make your ride more pleasant, like gel grips or filling the bars with shot. You could get a new seat. You could get risers if the position isn't upright enough for you somehow. But I don't think 150 miles on a DRZ especially at speed is ever going to be very comfortable.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Razzled posted:

So I went on my first "long" (~150 miles) ride yesterday and noticed a couple things. 1) My riding posture sucks and my back was aching a lot towards the end of the trip. 2) My hands felt like a half full jar of coins, like the bones were just jangling around. I assume this is due to the vibration of going highway speed and me gripping the bars much too tightly.

Some of this is clearly fixable with some input on my end but I think also some of it can be alleviated with some additional parts. I was thinking bar risers and a new bar, according to motorcycle ergo if I got another 1" of lift on my bars my arms would be level instead of angled downward. Would also help with standing up.

Thoughts?

Protaper pillowtop grips and a Seat Concepts seat (low if you're short like me otherwise the high seat for comfort) would probably do a lot to make it more comfortable. Otherwise a friend of mine has a Protaper EVO bar on his DRZ with their 1" clamps/risers and it feels pretty comfy. But yeah also just kinda get over it. The DRZ will never be a sport tourer unfortunately.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Sounds good. I never expected it to be a monster in the comfort department but if I can make it so I don't have to hunch while standing that's good enough

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Razzled posted:

Thoughts?

It takes a while to get bike fit so that long rides are comfortable, so thats part of it. You're already aware that you're holding on to the bars too tight, thats something you should be consciously working on every ride. If you're tall or have a long back then risers will probably help.
While the drz seat isn't renowned for comfort its not that bad, you can move around a lot on it, and standing up for a while every now and again to stretch out helps. sometimes on long boring motorway stretches i throw my legs up on the tank scoops and ride it like a chopper

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

Thoughts?

At higher speeds you should be barely touching the bars at all unless you're swerving/turning. Dunno if yours is a special snowflake or not but mine gets buzzy as poo poo when I'm doing about 85-90 on the highway. It turns into a literal vibrator at 100.
Are you wearing gloves? I'd try some different grips before you go balls out and order new bars.

Also, are you trying to sit upright at interstate speeds? Just lean into the wind and sit back a little. Your back will thank you for not fighting wind for 2 hours straight.

e: Getting headshake at 105 will teach you to stay the gently caress off the bars :v:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 6, 2014

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

You're insane if you take your DRZ on the interstates or anywhere above 60.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

It ain't all that bad. Granted, I'm still iffy on traversing the 4+ lane highways. But I took a couple state routes up north to get to the mountains and it was fine.

@Marx+Echo

Thanks guys! And yeah, I wear gloves when I ride. I think in retrospect I was death gripping the poo poo out of the bike at times, especially the throttle. I still don't feel 100% comfortable with gripping the tank with my knees. I can do it obviously but I just don't feel like I can get a solid purchase on it, not like on a sportbike. So I think that is part of why I instinctively want to grip the bars so tight. Also I was leaning forward-ish a lot because when I leaned back the visor on my helmet (was using an mx helmet + goggles) was catching enough wind to make me flex my neck which was kind of annoying.

I'll try some pillow tops since they're cheap and then go from there. I'll probably just save the risers and bars for when I have first service, and just make them do it.

And most importantly, I'll learn to deeeeeaaaaal with it!

cause this bike is the poo poo

Razzled fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 6, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I guess I'm insane.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

echomadman posted:

It takes a while to get bike fit so that long rides are comfortable, so thats part of it. You're already aware that you're holding on to the bars too tight, thats something you should be consciously working on every ride. If you're tall or have a long back then risers will probably help.
While the drz seat isn't renowned for comfort its not that bad, you can move around a lot on it, and standing up for a while every now and again to stretch out helps. sometimes on long boring motorway stretches i throw my legs up on the tank scoops and ride it like a chopper

I like to think of it like riding a reclining chair with a motor rather than a chopper. Also har har add me to the insane list

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

??? I take mine on the freeway all the time. They pull strong to about 85-90 if its running right.

Its not super comfortable, but its fine on the freeway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

The motor only really starts to pull in 5th gear around 55-60mph.

e: Or is this a handling/comfort thing because it's only sketchy at 90+

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 7, 2014

• Locked thread