Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

post increment requires the construction of a temporary object, pre doesn't. (and copy elision can't eliminate the temporary)

this is what people are talking about when they say C++ sucks

reading the expression "c++" should not require me to consult a language reference, read a class definition, or debate whether the compiler will optimize away unwanted copies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

at least when you make a dubious operator in haskell or scala everyone can see that something wacky is going on because the operator is |.<<>>.| so you read that and go "gently caress now i have to look up this dubious loving operator"

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

is that a hairy man's chest?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

it maps the fold monad over ipv6 addresses. the operator for ipv4 is |.<>.|

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

at least when you make a dubious operator in haskell or scala everyone can see that something wacky is going on because the operator is |.<<>>.| so you read that and go "gently caress now i have to look up this dubious loving operator"

scala makes me spend a lot of time with google verbatim

this is my most-hated thing about scala, more so than any wonkiness in the collections or the ridic compile tiem

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

oh my god, is that real?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

what the gently caress

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

gently caress you for making me look this up, it's certainly plausable

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

lol

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

best post itt new thread time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

post increment requires the construction of a temporary object, pre doesn't. (and copy elision can't eliminate the temporary)

why? why cant i be a register and i++ get compiled to ADD R15, #1

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

wow!!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

why? why cant i be a register and i++ get compiled to ADD R15, #1

because the type of i is std::vector<lovely::game::engine::CQuaternionImpl<double>, lovely:game::engine::CPoolAllocator<lovely::game::engine::CQuaternionImpl<double>, lovely::game::engine::CPoolAllocator::HeapPool>>::iterator

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

well then gently caress you for defining operator++

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AlsoD posted:

gently caress you for making me look this up, it's certainly plausable

was it real?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

prefect posted:

was it real?

nope. now that i think about it there's no way an operator would be so specific to be over an ip address specifically, let along a certain kind of one

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

post increment is just inefficient, the real gently caress you is operator||

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

well then gently caress you for defining operator++

what the gently caress use would an iterator be without operator++ (or operator-- or an indexer)

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

c++ is an awful language but it is also fantastically expressive

what you need is to work with people who have incredible respect for native code and so actually take the time to design things properly

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

also yes you need to learn the hundred thousand gotchas. it isn't a very friendly language. but c++11 at least made it worth the random spikes sticking out of all the doorknobs

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
i was hoping that the majority of newjob would be F#, but the more i think about the project ill be doing the more i realise it's probably just gonna be piles of C++. deterministic finalization is lookin crucial :(

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Dessert Rose posted:

what the gently caress use would an iterator be without operator++ (or operator-- or an indexer)
now you're getting tied up in the existing syntax. why do iterators need postincrement? the only reason is that they wanted to make iterators compatible with pointers, and *butts++ was established as a pointer idiom in c. it doesn't make much sense in c++ but thanks to that we're stuck with this performance trap forever.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
i didn't realise how bad a programmer i was before i started trying to write c++

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why would you increment an iterator? is there no .next or something?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

are u taking the piss m8

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qntm posted:

i didn't realise how bad programming is before i started trying to write c++

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
webdev update: loving hell I do not envy anyone who has to do this full time. how have you not killed yourselves yet. how in satans name did this clusterfuck of terrible languages and terrible libraries using unmaintainable hacks to reinvent the wheel on a worse foundation become accepted as the future of computing

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Soricidus posted:

webdev update: loving hell I do not envy anyone who has to do this full time. how have you not killed yourselves yet. how in satans name did this clusterfuck of terrible languages and terrible libraries using unmaintainable hacks to reinvent the wheel on a worse foundation become accepted as the future of computing

yospos, bitch

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

would you rather do mobile

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes

in the same way that i'd rather drown than be burned alive, but yes, even android is a better platform than web browsers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

yes

in the same way that i'd rather drown than be burned alive, but yes, even android is a better platform than web browsers

you have never worked with android

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you have never worked with android
i concede that this is a true fact, and something for which i praise the lord every day

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

p-langers ruined everything for everyone

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Soricidus posted:

you just kinda...do it

idgaf i get a paycheck at the end that is significantly more than almost everyone in the county

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Soricidus posted:

sometimes you get to write backend stuff that only interacts with your web application via an api so you can do it in haskell or java or c or whatever you want so that is very nice.

sometimes it is even more work to go about things in this way but a) it makes your clusterfuck of a web app less of a clusterfuck and b) it's really nice to get a break

and also

Flaming June posted:

idgaf i get a paycheck at the end that is significantly more than almost everyone in the county

i'll keep working on my real programming skills and maybe after a few yeras i can get a better job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

sometimes you get to write backend stuff that only interacts with your web application via an api so you can do it in haskell or java or c or whatever you want so that is very nice.

sometimes it is even more work to go about things in this way but a) it makes your clusterfuck of a web app less of a clusterfuck and b) it's really nice to get a break

i was thinking what is that guy on, webdev isn't so bad. then i remembered that what i call webdev is making JSON apis. thats the closest i ever get to the browser its v nice

• Locked thread