Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

They still haven't shipped mine, it was listed as in stock until tuesday and now sold out, never gonna order from them again. Anyone else had more luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Malcolm XML posted:

Yes actually writing VHDL/verilog is a giant pain in the rear end and the tools are so loving terrible compared to software. I really wish someone would come in w/ an fpga that had an open bitstream format and allow open tools, but that ain't happening.

As much as I agree about it being a giant PITA, I can't imagine open tools being an improvement in any way. The difficulty and expense of writing competent FPGA place-and-route software is off the charts, it's a really nasty NP-hard optimization problem.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

BobHoward posted:

As much as I agree about it being a giant PITA, I can't imagine open tools being an improvement in any way. The difficulty and expense of writing competent FPGA place-and-route software is off the charts, it's a really nasty NP-hard optimization problem.

Open standards have led to many a good package, considering that the software doesn't need to be open. See IntelliJ (hell, see every single thing that JetBrains does) , Visual Studio, etc.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I just bought a car on a whim so I'll be watching you guys from the sidelines :smith:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

I just bought a car on a whim so I'll be watching you guys from the sidelines :smith:

Do you ever not buy things on a whim? You need to visit the personal finance thread.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

deimos posted:

Do you ever not buy things on a whim? You need to visit the personal finance thread.

I never do not never not buy things on a whim... but I had a small window and it was the right choice I promise you :P

Well I should say I sold my car on a whim, requiring me to purchase another quickly. I even made a grown up decision and purposefully chose a trim that I couldn't overclock

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
My 4790k is kind of crappy. almost 1.3v at stock speeds, cant get stable over 4.5.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

My 4790k is kind of crappy. almost 1.3v at stock speeds, cant get stable over 4.5.

:psyduck:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Someone with same batch as me "L352C119" reported same thing

"Doesn't get stable after 4.5ghz. Mine doesn't play nice with its own turbo on stock clocks. Vid was between 1.28- 1.32. Terrible"

Some people are getting chips that are over a year old.

People with L4 (2014) chips seem overall to be doing better.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 26, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
So in other words, completely average 4770k overclocking numbers with the exception of improved thermals. While others who get an actually improved chip for the same price will fare better.

Pretty lame if you ask me

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Don Lapre posted:

Some people are getting chips that are over a year old.

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

This loving industry.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Its funny to watch Intel just pick up nerds by their feet and shake them until all the money comes out

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Well, that's disappointing. I'm still planning on getting one when Micro Center gets them in stock to replace my 2500K (mostly because I want to upgrade the MB and case than the CPU), but I guess if it turns out to be a really terrible overclocker I might just try the delidded 4770K that I also have instead (which I never actually OCed - I delidded it because it's going in a FT03 Mini with a H60, so not amazing cooling).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GokieKS posted:

Well, that's disappointing. I'm still planning on getting one when Micro Center gets them in stock to replace my 2500K (mostly because I want to upgrade the MB and case than the CPU), but I guess if it turns out to be a really terrible overclocker I might just try the delidded 4770K that I also have instead (which I never actually OCed - I delidded it because it's going in a FT03 Mini with a H60, so not amazing cooling).

Some of them are doing great. There just seems to be some batches like mine which are really bad. People have had better luck it seems with L4 chips so just ask for one of those at MC.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Some of them are doing great. There just seems to be some batches like mine which are really bad. People have had better luck it seems with L4 chips so just ask for one of those at MC.

Can you read that code through the box? The chip itself is visible isnt it

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

The box has the info and the chip is visible... have you not purchased a recent (last 10 years) Intel chip?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

batch#

the chip itself also has it and is visible

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

deimos posted:

The box has the info and the chip is visible... have you not purchased a recent (last 10 years) Intel chip?

Hah, yeah, but I probably looked at the box for as long as it takes to take the processor out. I still have them though. If I were to get a 4790k now I'd want to look for the batch it seems, but thanks for the info and pic and excuse my ignorance :P

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
That's what I did to find a good G0 Q6600 back when I bought mine, although I went to one of the Tigerdirect/CompUSA stores here since we don't have a Microcenter. The clerk was really patient given that we had to go through at least 15 boxes to find the right batch numbers.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

So what's the scoop on Intel's Pentium G3258?

Seems like a pretty realistic and more importantly, affordable option for gaming.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

GokieKS posted:

I was considering upgrading from a 2500K as well but people here convinced me to wait for Skylake.

DevCore posted:

Seems like a pretty realistic and more importantly, affordable option for gaming.
Isn't that just a Core i3?

We went over this a bit a few pages ago, but man Intel's naming is so confusing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Pentium dual core doesn't have hyper threading.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

DevCore posted:

If you manage to overclock the bejeesus out of it; then it can nearly match a core i3. Of course this also relies on buying a more expensive z97 mobo (unless you're willing to trust in hacked in overclocking support on H series boards) and also spending money on a good cooler, at which point you've already spend more money than just buying a core i3 in the first place, so there is literally no point beyond some sort of feel good marketing crap.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
For gaming it performs on-par with a Core i7 when overclocked, beating any AMD CPUs, which makes it a pretty compelling CPU for a relatively inexpensive gaming box. The power usage is very low even overclocked so there's not as much concern around using lower-end boards for overclocking. A 40% overclock should be generally attainable on the Intel retail cooler.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Alereon posted:

beating any AMD CPUs

Seriously amd. Bring some competition to the table.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Lord Bude posted:

If you manage to overclock the bejeesus out of it; then it can nearly match a core i3. Of course this also relies on buying a more expensive z97 mobo (unless you're willing to trust in hacked in overclocking support on H series boards) and also spending money on a good cooler, at which point you've already spend more money than just buying a core i3 in the first place, so there is literally no point beyond some sort of feel good marketing crap.

Nice mobos can have some other advantages besides just ability to overclock, and a good cooler isn't that expensive. Given that this Pentium will top out at about the same clock speeds as an i5 or i7, it's an incredible gaming value.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
But isn't it just dual core?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

But isn't it just dual core?

Yes. Lots of games aren't heavily multithreaded.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Lord Bude posted:

If you manage to overclock the bejeesus out of it; then it can nearly match a core i3. Of course this also relies on buying a more expensive z97 mobo
This is the whole reason why Asrock and others are coming out with the barebones Z97 "Anniversary Edition" motherboards that have a satisfactory power delivery system for overclocking but are otherwise sparse.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Don Lapre posted:

All the ones at my local Micro Center are L3 batch ones. Now to decide if I buy one of them anyway or wait a bit more and hope they get more in stock which are L4...

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Alereon posted:

For gaming it performs on-par with a Core i7 when overclocked

Does it though? Looking at this, it seems to perform like a slightly worse i3, and with extra frame time variance.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hace posted:

Does it though? Looking at this, it seems to perform like a slightly worse i3, and with extra frame time variance.

What I saw in this is that there are negligible framerate differences in most games between an i5, i3, and overclocked Pentium, and they are all far ahead of the AMD CPU. Those framerates are high enough that your GPU will normally be your bottleneck, which is exactly the right amount of CPU for most people.

Most games are really poorly threaded, and until that changes I will heartily recommend dual-cores to people looking to save money on a gaming build. Did you see how the Pentium did on a task that didn't scale to 4 threads?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
The only people that the Pentium is really good for are serious OC enthusiasts who are planning on doing suicide runs for e-peen. That way they only destroy a $75 processor vs. $200-$300 for an i5k/i7k.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that this processor actually offers some sort of value proposition. Spending the $75 plus another $50 for a decent cooler will let you OC it to around the perf level of an i3. The same i3 you should have bought with the $125 you just spent.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Twerk from Home posted:

What I saw in this is that there are negligible framerate differences in most games between an i5, i3, and overclocked Pentium, and they are all far ahead of the AMD CPU. Those framerates are high enough that your GPU will normally be your bottleneck, which is exactly the right amount of CPU for most people.

Most games are really poorly threaded, and until that changes I will heartily recommend dual-cores to people looking to save money on a gaming build. Did you see how the Pentium did on a task that didn't scale to 4 threads?

Are you ignoring the Grid 2 and Metro: Last Light results, both of which are games that were released last year? Even in the Thief benchmark, it still suffered from stuttering despite it's impressive framerate. And while it did very well in the BF4 test, I have to wonder if it'd hold up just as well in multiplayer. I'd also be very interested to see how well performs in Watch Dogs, as most dual core CPUs seem to loving tank when introduced to that.

I'm not saying that it doesn't currently perform well, especially at $75, but it seems extremely shortsighted to invest in a dual core CPU (that can only handle 2 threads) at this point.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I'd rather have a $75 Intel than a $75 AMD right now, I guess. And if I can overclock it so much the better. But no I can't see the logic in dumping a lot of money into it either.

^^^I'm sure it would get hit hard in BF4 multiplayer. BF4 single player is pretty efficient in benchmarks which leads to all sorts of highly misleading tests and charts about it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Krailor posted:

The only people that the Pentium is really good for are serious OC enthusiasts who are planning on doing suicide runs for e-peen. That way they only destroy a $75 processor vs. $200-$300 for an i5k/i7k.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that this processor actually offers some sort of value proposition. Spending the $75 plus another $50 for a decent cooler will let you OC it to around the perf level of an i3. The same i3 you should have bought with the $125 you just spent.

It has a 50W TDP, I don't think you'll need to spend that much on a cooler to get a decent overclock.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Hace posted:

Hace posted:

Are you ignoring the Grid 2 and Metro: Last Light results, both of which are games that were released last year? Even in the Thief benchmark, it still suffered from stuttering despite it's impressive framerate. And while it did very well in the BF4 test, I have to wonder if it'd hold up just as well in multiplayer. I'd also be very interested to see how well performs in Watch Dogs, as most dual core CPUs seem to loving tank when introduced to that.

I'm not saying that it doesn't currently perform well, especially at $75, but it seems extremely shortsighted to invest in a dual core CPU (that can only handle 2 threads) at this point.
It's almost like we're looking at different numbers. The Tom's Hardware review you linked shows a Pentium overclocked to the level achievable with the stock cooler generally beating or at least tying the Core i3 4330, a processor almost twice as expensive. It does get beaten pretty handily by the i3 in Grid 2, but performance is still excellent, and in Metro: Last Light it beats the i3 by an even larger margin where performance is more critical. The overclocked Pentium is fast enough to no longer bottleneck WoW at least. I'll note however that Tom's Hardware isn't very well-respected due to the low quality of their reviews, analysis, and editorial objectivity. It will be interesting to see what TechReport comes up with when they do their "time under xx ms" benchmarks for smoothness.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Alereon posted:

and in Metro: Last Light it beats the i3 by an even larger margin where performance is more critical.

???

Also while it's very nice that the chip itself only costs $75, the extra premium on Z97 motherboards kinda kills those savings, especially when you can just pair an i3 4130 with a B85 motherboard, have identical/better performance in most games, and still remain somewhat more ~futureproof~ for upcoming titles that will increasingly more dependent on multi-threaded loads.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Hace posted:

???

Also while it's very nice that the chip itself only costs $75, the extra premium on Z97 motherboards kinda kills those savings, especially when you can just pair an i3 4130 with a B85 motherboard, have identical/better performance in most games, and still remain somewhat more ~futureproof~ for upcoming titles that will increasingly more dependent on multi-threaded loads.
This is the portion of the THG review I'm referring to. I'd definitely be agreeing with you if we were talking about a CPU with four physical cores, but adding HT only adds 10-15% performance at best, so you're talking about CPU that's fundamentally similar in its capabilities, so going with an i3 over a Pentium doesn't meaningfully future-proof you. There isn't really much of a price premium for lower-cost Z97 boards over decent non-overclocking boards, and really I don't see how trading a higher-clocked Pentium with a better motherboard for a lower-clocked i3 with a worse motherboard that's still $30+ more expensive* is a good value, now or for the future. If you have a good board and a cheap CPU at least you can drop in a Broadwell-K in a year or two.

*$75 Pentium + $100 ASRock Z97 board vs $140 i3 + $75 cheapo board, the i3 system is $40 more expensive. If you try to trim that from the motherboard that's a system nobody wants to own. Saying "just spend the extra $100 over the Pentium system and get an i5" is very valid, but that's another $100.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SourKraut posted:

This is the whole reason why Asrock and others are coming out with the barebones Z97 "Anniversary Edition" motherboards that have a satisfactory power delivery system for overclocking but are otherwise sparse.

ooh, I haven't heard about these.