Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

I think it's pretty cool that you're friends with Jacob Bannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

LargeHadron posted:

I think it's pretty cool that you're friends with Jacob Bannon

Must have been hell cloning out all those tatts.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Off camera lighting still baffles me. I can't figure out the ratios to give texture and depth to a face without casting at least one hard and unflattering shadow (the side of her nose in this case).

rookie headshots-4 by sildargod, on Flickr

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

sildargod posted:

Off camera lighting still baffles me. I can't figure out the ratios to give texture and depth to a face without casting at least one hard and unflattering shadow (the side of her nose in this case).

Whoa, that's surreal, it almost looks like a character face tech demo from some new video game engine or other

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Neowyrm posted:

Whoa, that's surreal, it almost looks like a character face tech demo from some new video game engine or other

Dammit, they're onto us! Pack up all the rendering servers stat!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sildargod posted:

Hard shadows are cause by angular size if your lights, not their ratios.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

sildargod posted:

evil_bunnY posted:

Hard shadows are cause by angular size if your lights, not their ratios.

Basically the larger the source, relative to your subject, the softer the light. That's why in the film world we blow huge sources through 12'sq frames. Try building a square frame from PVC piping and firing your lights through some muslin stretched over the frame.

Your catchlights show a silver umbrella of some sort as a key. These can be very useful if you want harder shadows with some wrap (see glamour portraiture) but if you're after softer shadows you want to diffuse rather than reflect.

The alternative, in this case, would be to move the light upstage a litte more to make the Rembrandt patch smaller. Or bring it around more on axis with the camera in order to produced a 3/4 look, which can be quite attractive, if dull, on female subjects.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 20, 2014

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

XTimmy posted:

Basically the larger the source, relative to your subject, the softer the light. That's why in the film world we blow huge sources through 12'sq frames. Try building a square frame from PVC piping and firing your lights through some muslin stretched over the frame.

Your catchlights show a silver umbrella of some sort as a key. These can be very useful if you want harder shadows with some wrap (see glamour portraiture) but if you're after softer shadows you want to diffuse rather than reflect.

The alternative, in this case, would be to move the light upstage a litte more to make the Rembrandt patch smaller. Or bring it around more on axis with the camera in order to produced a 3/4 look, which can be quite attractive, if dull, on female subjects.

Thank you, this makes a lot more sense. I'm still very green with my lighting so the theory doesn't come as second nature yet.

XTimmy posted:

which can be quite attractive, if dull, on female subjects.

This! There is nothing more frustrating to me than doing a shoot and at the end of it everything looks generic and contrived. Has anyone mentioned any resources in the thread that deal with slightly more creative compositions for portraiture?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

sildargod posted:

Thank you, this makes a lot more sense. I'm still very green with my lighting so the theory doesn't come as second nature yet.

This! There is nothing more frustrating to me than doing a shoot and at the end of it everything looks generic and contrived. Has anyone mentioned any resources in the thread that deal with slightly more creative compositions for portraiture?

Given that you have a number of subjects who seem very active, aggressive and colorful you could try playing with motion and colour in your shots. Use starker light, get some movement in there, blow some purples or blues around to help match/contrast the face paint. Just, I think, try and convey something with the image.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Sometimes generic and contrived lighting is okay if that's what the client wants.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
My girlfriend wrote a thing about the portraits I did for which she wrote text: http://anthropologizing.com/2014/06/18/a-collaborative-photo-project-in-visual-anthropology-thoughts-on-process-and-outcome/

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

try it with a lime posted:

They didn't have cameras either.

They kind-of, sort-of did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94pCNUu6qFY

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

quote:

I’m struggling to come up with a good, consistent way of capturing information in conversation without whipping out a notepad and pen, or turning on a recorder. Doing this can make people uncomfortable or turned off, and shut the “rapport door”, which can take a lot of effort to open up.

This sounds tricky. I think academic ethnographers get around this by spending a lot of time with their subjects. It sounds like you guys don't intend to do that. Perhaps you could avoid using direct quotes, and summarise what was said in your own words? Or run the copy past the subject before you publish it to see if you've captured what they really meant?

Nushergrudger
Dec 18, 2009
I haven't had any good critic/thoughts on my photos in a while, I'd like to know what you all think.

The Ritch by Trifling Catalyst

Shot it with a single, direct flash. Colors were added in post-processing.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Paige
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Is she itty bitty or is that camera huge?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

VendaGoat posted:

Is she itty bitty or is that camera huge?

Looks like a Fuji X100, which is not a big camera.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
She's itty bitty too. 23" waist I believe.

She's stretching her torso, too, so it kind of exaggerates the effect.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
She's beautiful and it's a great picture. That was just the first thing that struck me.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The only thing that bugs me is her expression, seems a bit "ok have you taken it yet?"

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
For once I did not take a portrait of a son / daughter, I saw this combo of beautiful lights and didn't want to let them pass. What do you think?

Leo di maxmars70, su Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

I think that your first shot is ideal in many ways--the model feels comfortable, and the clothes she is wearing contrasts with itself and the backdrop very nicely.

I don't agree with the way that the second image is cropped--particularly where the legs are cut off.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Editing, gonna get a reflector and try this style of environmental portrait again later.

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 2, 2014

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

This is Howard, he used to be in the Hell's Angels- he has cancer now and although a bit awkward, I really wanted some photos with him and this skull I found. There was something about his biker past, his health, and all the experiences that made it work for me. I wanted to see what others thought of it.

Howard by francography, on Flickr

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

In a word; Soulful.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The semicolon conveys art.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Not so sure about the skull concept but that first one is great.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

In a word; Soulful.

“Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing; all they do is show you've been to college.”

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 4, 2014

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I don't think I've ever been insulted so nicely before.

Alright, no more semicolons.

:D

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Yeah the more I stare at the skull one the more I hate it, maybe it's because it's shiny. I'll see if any of the others are working but I'll prolly just use the normal ones.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

“Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing; all they do is show you've been to college.”

And yet the statement condemning the use of semicolons uses them nonetheless. Internet humor can sometimes be quite obtuse.

In other news I suck at portraits, but I keep on shooting them. I am bound to get better eventually. I hope.

_DSC7380 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Putrid Grin posted:

And yet the statement condemning the use of semicolons uses them nonetheless. Internet humor can sometimes be quite obtuse.

:thejoke:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Here's some of my other favorites--

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 4, 2014

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
That last one is very very good, have you considered trying to process it with a Rembrandtesque palette? I don't think it would improve it but the subject matter and lighting remind me very much of Rembrandt.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

somnambulist posted:

Yeah the more I stare at the skull one the more I hate it, maybe it's because it's shiny. I'll see if any of the others are working but I'll prolly just use the normal ones.

The skull would be cool if there was a story behind it. Like, when I first glanced at the photos I was curious what was up with the skull, it drew me in.

Then reading that it was just something you found, yeah it looks dumb in the photo in that context.

Not sure what I'm trying to say. Maybe the photo works if you leave it up to the audience's imagination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Definitely the third one.

EDit: I just noticed the avatar change. HA!

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 4, 2014