Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Axetrain posted:

The right will definitely go heavy on the misogyny because it's their nature but that's a much more dangerous game to play then racism. Women make up 51% of the population so your essentially going to be attacking a majority population, that has way more potential to backfire on them really really hard come election day.
On paper that seems comforting, but after thinking about it for a minute I'm not so sure. For one thing they could parade a long line of Hillary's peers (60something white women) to tear her apart with what amounts to misogyny but gets a pass because of the optics. I'm not saying current RWM is respectful with race and Obama, but there aren't too many black people ready to go on the air and directly say his blackness hurts his ability to lead the country, while there are plenty of family values housewives and grandmothers who HATE Hillary.

I say this in part because of my own mother. I remember listening to plenty of Rush with my mom growing up and Bill Clinton was always "Slick Willy," in her house. 20 years later she has come around a bit (largely because of Bush) and she even voted for Obama the last couple of elections. Today you can have a conversation with her and say Clinton was a better president than Reagan and it won't immediately escalate to screaming and bullshit. But she hasn't shaken the Hillary hate even a little bit, it doesn't matter that she would essentially have the same platform as Obama, she personally hates her.

I'm not sure what it is exactly, I guess she personally offended a large part of conservative white america in the 90s by being a sort of working politician mother instead of a picturesque homemaker with dinner on the table like Nancy or Barbara. Then she wrote a book "telling everyone else how to raise their kids," then she proved her marriage was just a power play by not divorcing Bill or even making a scene over the Lewinsky affair. Those are the major points my teenaged brain remembers from Rush and my mom back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

Counterpoint: American white male masculinity isn't challenged by there being a black man in the highest office of the land.

Except it absolutely is? Are you serious? Half of the recent attacks on Obama have been about how he's not masculine enough and doesn't have the balls to keep countries like Russia and Syria in check and a virile white man like Reagan would make them poo poo their pants.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Yeah to say something like that you have to ignore how racial stereotypes intersect with gender roles. Conservatives were insulting Obama for his "manhood problem" when it comes to foreign policy only a few months ago.

From Salon:

quote:

The racial aspect adds another dimension. Obama’s entire political career has been defined by pushing back against the “threatening, black alpha-male” stereotype. Conciliation, not confrontation, is not just his style, but the core of his substance as well. The slightest break from this stance can trigger immediate backlash — as was seen in the knee-jerk response to his comment saying police acted “stupidly” when they arrested Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates for trespassing in his own home. Since then, conservative activists and media have manufactured countless similar offenses as Obama has consistently failed to produce them himself. He has a “deep-seated hatred of white people,” as Glenn Beck alleged, without a scintilla of evidence, when Obama held his “beer summit” to atone for his momentary lapse of inconvenient truth-telling. And that has been the right-wing narrative subtext ever since. But the textual evidence has been virtually nonexistent, because Obama’s personality and his politics have been so deeply wedded to compromise and conciliation.

Now, suddenly, it’s possible for conservatives to finally admit Obama’s not a dictatorial tyrant — now that they’ve found a way to hold it against him!

This swift reversal should not be surprising. White male anxiety about black manhood has always been so deeply irrational that it can switch polarities multiple times in a single racist rant. On a much larger, historical scale, in ”Darwin’s Athletes,” one of the most striking reversals John Hoberman notes came about when blacks first began demonstrating their athletic prowess. Before that, white supremacy had been asserted across the boards — whites were superior to blacks in every way — mentally, physically, morally, spiritually. But when top black athletes emerged to disprove that, white supremacy reconfigured itself: Brute physical superiority was suddenly equated axiomatically with inferiority in every other realm.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 27, 2014

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

wixard posted:

On paper that seems comforting, but after thinking about it for a minute I'm not so sure. For one thing they could parade a long line of Hillary's peers (60something white women) to tear her apart with what amounts to misogyny but gets a pass because of the optics. I'm not saying current RWM is respectful with race and Obama, but there aren't too many black people ready to go on the air and directly say his blackness hurts his ability to lead the country, while there are plenty of family values housewives and grandmothers who HATE Hillary.

I say this in part because of my own mother. I remember listening to plenty of Rush with my mom growing up and Bill Clinton was always "Slick Willy," in her house. 20 years later she has come around a bit (largely because of Bush) and she even voted for Obama the last couple of elections. Today you can have a conversation with her and say Clinton was a better president than Reagan and it won't immediately escalate to screaming and bullshit. But she hasn't shaken the Hillary hate even a little bit, it doesn't matter that she would essentially have the same platform as Obama, she personally hates her.

I'm not sure what it is exactly, I guess she personally offended a large part of conservative white america in the 90s by being a sort of working politician mother instead of a picturesque homemaker with dinner on the table like Nancy or Barbara. Then she wrote a book "telling everyone else how to raise their kids," then she proved her marriage was just a power play by not divorcing Bill or even making a scene over the Lewinsky affair. Those are the major points my teenaged brain remembers from Rush and my mom back in the day.

I'm not saying it couldn't work but if I were a betting man I'd put my money on it backfiring. I was too young to be politically aware during the Clinton years and my family and all my neighbors were ardent Democrats and Clinton fans so I was never exposed to the Clinton hate-fest, it really surprises me to hear people say it was as bad as the hate boner the right has towards Obama. There are certainly a lot of Republican women with something akin to Stockholm syndrome but beyond ginning up the base I don't think they are going to be convincing many independents much less Democrats to switch over to voting Republican.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Except it absolutely is? Are you serious? Half of the recent attacks on Obama have been about how he's not masculine enough and doesn't have the balls to keep countries like Russia and Syria in check and a virile white man like Reagan would make them poo poo their pants.

And all of that is absolute peanuts compared to the level outright misogyny a woman would get for being in office from the same people. The Right's hand-wringing over Obama's masculinity is just a cover for their racism. We should expect a totally different ballgame of hate if Hillary gets elected.

So I suppose I should have said "Not challenged in a way comparable to Hillary being President".

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 27, 2014

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Once upon a time Medved hated soccer almost as much as he hates homeless people and graffiti. Now that the USA is actually competitive in the World Cup he makes delightfully :bahgawd: comments like:

If only we could make gay marriage and single-payer healthcare into international sporting events and give us a whiff of a chance at beating the entire world at something.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Axetrain posted:

I'm not saying it couldn't work but if I were a betting man I'd put my money on it backfiring.
I agree there, i don't think it will win them a presidential election but I think RWM could get "worse" if they have to pay attention to Hillary every day for a term or 2 of her presidency.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just read that Mark Mayfield is dead, and while reading the article it mentioned that he was in trouble over trying to use photos of a guys bedridden wife in a nursing home as ammo for an attack ad.

How was this going to work, Right Wing Media thread?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Professor Shark posted:

I just read that Mark Mayfield is dead, and while reading the article it mentioned that he was in trouble over trying to use photos of a guys bedridden wife in a nursing home as ammo for an attack ad.

I'm sure they will demand a full inquiry into this, a la Vince Foster.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Professor Shark posted:

after reading the article. i have say good riddance, he sounded like a pretty lovely human being.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Suicide sucks but I look forward to Obama and McCain meeting on the field of battle once again to decide who the RWM will blame for this obviously faked suicide that was actually a murder.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Professor Shark posted:

They were going to use it to insinuate that Thad Cochran was having an affair with one of his staffers while his poor bedridden wife sat neglected in a nursing home.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

wixard posted:

I'm not sure what it is exactly, I guess she personally offended a large part of conservative white america in the 90s by being a sort of working politician mother instead of a picturesque homemaker with dinner on the table like Nancy or Barbara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulSnAM6gmM

Of course in the two decades since that comment women have come to make up nearly half of the sole or primary earners in households, soon to be a majority.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 27, 2014

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Good Citizen posted:

Holy poo poo.

Quick someone forward this picture to Vince McMahon

He already fired Mohammed Hassan.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Iron Sheik II. Make it happen.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Phone posted:

Iron SheikSikh II. Make it happen.

Fixed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Here's a fun game: Try and guess how trivial of a slight these RW darlings were subjected to, based on their description...

quote:

We just remember June the 6th, 1944. We know what happened at D-Day. We know what happened on Omaha and Utah beach. There’s something about those men that our dad taught us when we were kids. And he said, ‘Boys, don’t you ever run from bullets. You run toward the bullets.’ There are cultural bullets flying, all over today, especially religious liberty. And what’s happening right now is many spiritual leaders, elected leaders, they are running from bullets. But there’s a remnant of people that are ready to stand and say ‘I’m not running from these bullets any more. I’m gonna take this beach…’”

Just like in the movie Braveheart, when all the Scottish Army was standing there, and they all had their gear on, and they were lined up and they were unified, and they were ready to fight but not a single one of them wanted to fight. And then as William Wallace and a few men rode in on horses with blue face paint on. They were ready to pick a fight. And what I see before me right now are a bunch of people with some blue face paint on – so let’s go get it!

Answer: Lost their chance to make a HGTV reality show when people contacted HGTV about their previous dealings in virulent anti-gay protests, among other poo poo like being part of the "Ground Zero Mosque" fiasco. - http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/benham-brothers-ready-die-battle . Drama queens.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Here's a fun game: Try and guess how trivial of a slight these RW darlings were subjected to, based on their description...

Answer: Lost their chance to make a HGTV reality show when people contacted HGTV about their previous dealings in virulent anti-gay protests, among other poo poo like being part of the "Ground Zero Mosque" fiasco. - http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/benham-brothers-ready-die-battle . Drama queens.

The title of that article is "Benham Brothers Ready To Die In Battle". Why is every right wing cause an actual war?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

radical meme posted:

The title of that article is "Benham Brothers Ready To Die In Battle". Why is every right wing cause an actual war?

That's confusing, but not half as confusing as the idea that two grown men got that far into negotiations with HGTV without knowing that a ton of gay people watch that channel. Either that or they had made peace with the fact that they were about to become eye candy for a bunch of people they loathe just because it would get them on the tee vee. They're obviously not complete idiots if they knew they could parlay that loss into a spot on the conservative swindler bench, so I would bet the latter.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

It kind of irks me when I see Republican boomers try to co-opt the accomplishments of the greatest generation.

radical meme posted:

I'm ready for it too.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

comes along bort posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulSnAM6gmM

Of course in the two decades since that comment women have come to make up nearly half of the sole or primary earners in households, soon to be a majority.
I agree, it won't go well for them in terms of gaining votes in 2016, but the same base they've been catering to for their last 2 failed presidential elections isn't gone yet. Hillary personally is one of their favorite punching bags since FNC was an upstart network actively buying its way into cable lineups and Limbaugh's show first took over the airwaves. Rush is still telling the same "Hillary Clinton in an elevator" joke that he first rolled out when she was First Lady.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

A couple days ago I was listening to sports talk radio, because I have to get my hot sports takes from somewhere, and the hosts were speculating about whether Germany would go easy on the US. "No," said the host, "I don't think we can count on that, because of World War 2."

It really is spectacularly, hilariously insular and ignorant to think that the Germans, of all people, regard WW2 with the same sense of idealism and jingoism that we do here in the US.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/neil-cavuto-michele-bachmann-obama-lawsuit-108316.html

Anyone see this?

For once I actually can side with Cavuto on something.

I think Bachmann is legit nuts.

I also wonder how long it's going to take until the "Free market/Business" conservatives eventually divorce themselves from the Tea Party-types. I can already see that division is already beginning to happen honestly.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
I listen to Financial Issues on american family radio every morning for the laughs and this gem was on this morning. Friday June 27 Hour 2 @22:20ish.

http://www.afa.net/Radio/show.aspx?id=2147497439&tab=audio&audio=2147547135

Basically this lady calls in and she lost her insurance years ago and is only now able to get treatment for cancer due to removal of pre-existing and expansion of medicaid. However, because of a change at work she is now voluntarily quitting her job in order to maintain her coverage. The host of course called her a free loader and said she should lay down in the street and die reassured her that she was one of the 'good ones' and the reason these programs exist.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/neil-cavuto-michele-bachmann-obama-lawsuit-108316.html

Anyone see this?

For once I actually can side with Cavuto on something.

I think Bachmann is legit nuts.

I also wonder how long it's going to take until the "Free market/Business" conservatives eventually divorce themselves from the Tea Party-types. I can already see that division is already beginning to happen honestly.

Holy poo poo,the splintering of the GOP-Tea Party relationship is accelerating. maybe we will have a hosed up third party by the time 2016 hits.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 27, 2014

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Republicans posted:

Once upon a time Medved hated soccer almost as much as he hates homeless people and graffiti. Now that the USA is actually competitive in the World Cup he makes delightfully :bahgawd: comments like:

If only we could make gay marriage and single-payer healthcare into international sporting events and give us a whiff of a chance at beating the entire world at something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDHNIn-XLKM

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

pengun101 posted:

Holy poo poo,the splintering of the GOP-Tea Party relationship is accelerating. maybe we will have a hosed up third party by the time 2016 hits.

The strength of McDaniel's write in campaign is going to be a great test of this but probably not a full blown 3rd party yet methinks.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

pengun101 posted:

If only the Tea Party could have been its own third party from the get-go.

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity

That was horrifying.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

pengun101 posted:

Someone else pointed it out earlier but for some reason FOX News is taking the hard right to task pretty heavily lately. Not sure why but it makes me nervous because I know there's an ulterior motive lurking in there somewhere.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

Someone else pointed it out earlier but for some reason FOX News is taking the hard right to task pretty heavily lately. Not sure why but it makes me nervous because I know there's an ulterior motive lurking in there somewhere.

Rupe's Stock Portfolio

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Is there any other way this can go, really? The Tea Party's answer to literally everything is "be more insane." We won an election? Hell yes, let's be more insane! That just shows people want crazy! Oh gently caress, we lost an election? We were obviously not insane enough!

Maybe I'm wrong but I can't see anything happening that isn't the Tea Party spinning off into a spectacular failure of a third party.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The strength of McDaniel's write in campaign is going to be a great test of this but probably not a full blown 3rd party yet methinks.

I thought write in campaigns weren't counted in Mississippi unless someone in the race died.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There won't be a write-in campaign. MS law says that write-in votes are only counted if a candidate on the ballot dies. His only chance was to run as an independent, and the deadline for doing that was the end of January, before the GOP primary.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Wowza, then this whole illegal voters thing is going to get the full wingnut. Cool.

If I was the Dem in that general I would spend the entire campaign just trolling tea party types into staying home.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

thefncrow posted:

There won't be a write-in campaign. MS law says that write-in votes are only counted if a candidate on the ballot dies. His only chance was to run as an independent, and the deadline for doing that was the end of January, before the GOP primary.

Doesn't mean they know that!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but I can't see anything happening that isn't the Tea Party spinning off into a spectacular failure of a third party.

Probably, but they'll lose enough people beforehand that you'll barely hear about it. To either the regular GOP or heart disease.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

thefncrow posted:

Ah, but we're talking about a group of people who reject your facts as lies. If enough of THE PEOPLE express their will in a write-in, their Votes NEED to be counted. Something something fourth box, moron label!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If McDaniel is still part of the Republican party isn't he required to concede to the official GOP candidate even if the majority of ballots have his name written in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
I've recently noticed on my DISH programming guide that Newsmax has its own network. I've flipped there a few times, but have had to run away quickly because I always see Steve Malzberg, who I have allergies to.

Apparently JD Hayworth also has a show. That should be enough to drive away any sane person but here you go regardless, if you're feeling brave/masochistic:
http://www.newsmaxtv.com/