Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
That Tamron 70-300 was awesome for covering the event. Thanks for the suggestion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I have a 16-35mm f/4L IS on the way - Amazon just updated, and says it'll be here on July 1st. IT'S COMING.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Any reason why not to use the "silent" shutter mode instead of regular shutter on a 70D? The only advantage that I can see of the regular, loud, shutter is in high-speed mode.

Tetrad
Nov 3, 2002
When I'm shooting models in natural light I make sure to use the regular shutter so they can hear the click and know when to change poses. When shooting events I usually leave it on silent.

The silent shutter blacks out the viewfinder for slightly longer, so it might be a little more disorientating than using the fast one. That might be more or less of an issue depending on if you're using a single eye or both eyes photojournalist style, or what you're shooting.

Tetrad fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 22, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Someone talk me out of buying the EF 135mm f/2L refurbished for $750 + tax. :ohdear:

I love that length but already have it covered with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. It's so cheap though!

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 27, 2014

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Someone talk me out of buying the EF 135mm f/2L refurbished for $750 + tax. :ohdear:

I love that length but already have it covered with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. It's so cheap though!

Buy it and sell it if you don't use it enough.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Buy it and sell it if you don't use it enough.
That's basically what I did with my EF 17-40 f4L. I use the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L a lot more for landscapes, so the 17-40's proved redundant. I fear it might be the same with the 135mm, but for that price it almost can't hurt to take a shot.

Plus more gently used gear to unload at stupid prices to other goons!

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Someone talk me out of buying...

...more gently used gear to unload at stupid prices to other goons!

I say buy it!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It's smaller, lighter, and faster than the 70-200. You know you want it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Buy it! Think of the bokehs....

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Let me know what you think when you get it. I too have perseverated on getting that lens. Probably should rent it, but that's a 3 hour round trip for me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Canon apparently patented a Foveon-style stacked photon well sensor. Except of just capturing RGB, they also want UV and IR for some reason, to correct skin tones.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/06/patent-canon-5-layer-uv-ir-rgb-sensor

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
IR? Skintone? What?

I just GIS'd "IR portrait" and everything just looks like ghosts... Everybody has marble white skin with very little definition I guess because IR light is less powerful than visible light.

Also why is the UV layer at the top? Aren't UV photons the most energetic?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Makes sense, maybe acting an optical UV cut layer as well as providing a map to filter out uv in processing.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Seamonster posted:

IR? Skintone? What?

I just GIS'd "IR portrait" and everything just looks like ghosts... Everybody has marble white skin with very little definition I guess because IR light is less powerful than visible light.

Also why is the UV layer at the top? Aren't UV photons the most energetic?

They are energetic enough to break chemical bonds, causing fading, bleaching, and general damage to many materials. It would make sense to filter UV out right off the top just to make sure it doesn't degrade the other materials below.

Also, the IR portraits are downright pleasant compared to "UV portraits".

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/22/cara-phillips-ultraviolet-beauties_n_1606131.html

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
"The new Canon 7D mk2, now with free built-in UV filter, included at no extra charge!"

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

It looks like maybe they are using the UV part of the sensor create a mask to remove imperfections or errors in the skin and then the IR info to recover highlights. I am not sure though and haven't read the patent yet, just the quick summary.

Capitalist Swine
Jun 26, 2014

Wild EEPROM posted:

"The new Canon 7D mk2, now with free built-in UV filter, included at no extra charge!"

Loving my 7D, be interesting to see the final version of the MKII and how it compares.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Anybody want a 1200mm f5.6 lens? Bidding's at $2025 currently and shipping's only $30 from S Korea!

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Anybody want a 1200mm f5.6 lens? Bidding's at $2025 currently and shipping's only $30 from S Korea!

sweet gypsy jesus

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

800peepee51doodoo posted:

What in the?

"
Canon EF 1200mm F/5.6 L USM Lens (made to order: origenal price a unit $110,000)
my reserve money $81,000 !! Only !!
My ebay Selling Limit is usd $5,000
I can not sell more than $5,000
But My hope is $81,000 selling price. "

so he's basically saying he will only give it to the winning bidder if they send him 81 grand, even though he can't sell something on ebay for 81 grand? I watch with interest.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

timrenzi574 posted:

so he's basically saying he will only give it to the winning bidder if they send him 81 grand, even though he can't sell something on ebay for 81 grand? I watch with interest.

Don't know about you, but I am perfectly happy to paypal $81,000 to someone with an ebay feedback of 51.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

Don't know about you, but I am perfectly happy to paypal $81,000 to someone with an ebay feedback of 51.

Who is also almost certainly breaking TOS in a dozen different ways.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

spog posted:

Paypals reaction would be pretty interesting - how many seconds do you think it would take before both accounts were shutdown? 5? 10? 30?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

timrenzi574 posted:

What in the?

"
Canon EF 1200mm F/5.6 L USM Lens (made to order: origenal price a unit $110,000)

I'm just wondering how one of those lenses wound up in Busan.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

timrenzi574 posted:

What in the?

"

You missed this, or maybe it was added in later:

quote:

If you directly buy this lens, please come to south Korea.

Sure dude, I'll drop a couple thousand more dollars flying to Korea after dropping more than a year's salary on that monstrosity.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

suboptimal posted:

You missed this, or maybe it was added in later:

Sure dude, I'll drop a couple thousand more dollars flying to Korea after dropping more than a year's salary on that monstrosity.

I knew that 30$ shipping charge was too good to be true!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

suboptimal posted:

To be fair, what kind of moron would pay $81k for a lense, purely based on an eBay description.

Given that my last 'mint' lense contained a public hair between the elements, I think I'd stump up the cost of a flight to buy this beast.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you have enough money to buy that lens, you're probably not going to get it from eBay.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you have enough money to buy that lens, you're probably not going to get it from eBay.

Random dudes on ebay that nobody has ever heard of always just happen to be one of the 200 or so owners of that lens in the world, how could you go wrong? Anyway, it's not like the CIA is going to sell you theirs so what else can you do.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

200 or so owners
I've heard numbers between 20 and 100, but Canon's not telling. Either way, it's definitely an oddball auction.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Got myself a 70D the other day, finally got to use it a bit today. So far it seems pretty great. Got it at costco and they throw a ton of extra goodies into the bundle. its the same price as the normal kit lens + 55-250 lens bundle everyone else has, but it also comes with a gadget bag, extra battery, 32gb class 10 sd card, and even the hdmi cable canon wants $60 for.

I wonder if it will be able to replace my 1d mk3 for my purposes. I love that camera but after I got it my photography slowed way down because that drat thing is way too big and heavy to carry everywhere like I used to. If I sell it I could afford some super nice glass...

My plan (read: in my dreams) is to get a good, but not bleeding edge, crop camera for action/reach, like the 70d, or maybe the 7dmk2 down the line. And a good, but not bleeding edge full frame camera for portraits/landscapes and etc, like the 6d.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Does anybody know if there is an EF film Rebel that runs off the same Li-Ion batteries as the modern digital SLRs (specifically the 40D, I don't know if batteries have changed in more recent bodies)?

And/or EF film Rebels that will power IS? (My inherited 1000F does not appear to power the IS on my 70-300, and I wouldn't be surprised if no film Rebel does, since I don't know when they started putting IS in lenses.)

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I don't know any film cameras that use the modern batteries and I doubt any do as almost all of the modern ones use batteries that are unique to them. All of the old EF film cameras I've seen use either AA or some version of CR. Canon image stabilization came out in 1995, so presumably any camera made after then will work with it, though I'm surprised it's not backwards compatible. I know it works with my Eos3, which came out in 1998.

Edit: According to Canon, "IS lenses work with all EOS cameras, regardless of when they were introduced", which is what I expected. They do list some idiosyncrasies for various models though.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 4, 2014

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Stregone posted:

Got myself a 70D the other day, finally got to use it a bit today. So far it seems pretty great. Got it at costco and they throw a ton of extra goodies into the bundle. its the same price as the normal kit lens + 55-250 lens bundle everyone else has, but it also comes with a gadget bag, extra battery, 32gb class 10 sd card, and even the hdmi cable canon wants $60 for.

I wonder if it will be able to replace my 1d mk3 for my purposes. I love that camera but after I got it my photography slowed way down because that drat thing is way too big and heavy to carry everywhere like I used to. If I sell it I could afford some super nice glass...

My plan (read: in my dreams) is to get a good, but not bleeding edge, crop camera for action/reach, like the 70d, or maybe the 7dmk2 down the line. And a good, but not bleeding edge full frame camera for portraits/landscapes and etc, like the 6d.

Sup Costco 70D bundle buddy. I got the same camera deal a few months ago, and I've loved it ever since. The 70D has been a great camera thus far, and I'm looking forward to pushing the limits of what it can do and going bankrupt on new glass in the process.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

hey canon-havers

there's something special about your 50 1.8

...it has fewer aperture blades than my dealextreme spaghetti portioning device

yeah

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Yeah, but yours only has a 4 stop aperture range.

(Sadly, it also looks better made)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have that same spaghetti measuring tool, and it's inaccurate.

The "2" setting is plenty for 3 people.

Also the minimum aperture is kind of ridiculous.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Dont you just.. like.. get used to how much spaghetti you use? Do you cook it once a year or something or is this your first time?

In other news running Western Europe like a boss with my kit lens and 450D.

But this was shot with.. a nifty 50 1.8!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Tony Montana posted:

Dont you just.. like.. get used to how much spaghetti you use? Do you cook it once a year or something or is this your first time?

Look sometimes a dude gets a thing from dealextreme and just wants to come troll the Canon thread ok.