Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

lordfrikk posted:

Wasn't Bebop the same case, though? IIRC that turned out OK, didn't it?
With "Cowboy Bebop" apparently almost the entire show was output to film, so it was mostly a straight film-to-HD transfer.

By the way, Discotek is releasing "Jin-Roh" on Blu-Ray in December apparently, and they've gotten video rights to "Castle of Cagliostro", which is in the works for next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 6, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How do people like DBZ on Blu-Ray?

I'm thinking of getting the first season on Blu-Ray and building my collection finally. I enjoyed the job done on the Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-Rays, same quality here?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

TheRamblingSoul posted:

How do people like DBZ on Blu-Ray?

I'm thinking of getting the first season on Blu-Ray and building my collection finally. I enjoyed the job done on the Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-Rays, same quality here?

Don't. This is the ugly cropped master version, not the beautiful painstaking remaster of the original release (that was too expensive to continue). It's basically a slightly less bad (apparently they targeted their cropping rather than just blindly taking the middle, but they cropped more in the process) version of the orange brick DVDs, instead of a BD version of the Dragon Box sets.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah don't give Funimation money for that boxset.

(Nothing wrong with the Kai boxsets though, so feel free to give them money for that)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
It's not just cropped, it also looks like poo poo. They did really heavy filtering to denoise and clean up the image and succeeded in destroying it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-30/nis-america-licenses-cardcaptor-sakura-tv-anime

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! TAKE ALL MY MONEY NISA.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

quote:

Both editions will include a bonus monaural English-dubbed track, and will ship on August 5.

I know that every episode was dubbed and it was just the USA that got the edited Cardcaptors, but is it the same dub just without cut episodes?

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
It was mentioned by Zac from ANN that it was a "new to the US" dub, and there was an Animax Asia dub done by Omni Productions, so there is speculation that rather than the Ocean dub, it'll be that. I'm hopeful it simply means that since the US really only got the edited version, while overseas markets got the uncut dub, that because we hadn't ever really gotten the uncut, it's new to the US.

E: Justin Sevakis confirms it's the Animax dub - https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/status/461655044127854592

OZC fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 1, 2014

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
"Watamote" is coming from Sentai on August 26th with a dub, and Funimation is releasing "The Devil is a Part-Timer" as both a regular and limited edition on July 22nd.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Robert Denby posted:

"Watamote" is coming from Sentai on August 26th with a dub, and Funimation is releasing "The Devil is a Part-Timer" as both a regular and limited edition on July 22nd.
As a point of reference, Sentai has scheduled 9 newly made blu-ray releases for August. They currently contract to one author of discs. I would be incredibly cautious for any of the their titles releasing in August (especially after a 7 title month in July). QC is on the outs at both companies, but Sentai is worse at it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So is the US still going to get Cowboy Bebop this year?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm still waiting on my copy of EVA 3.33 from Amazon my father got me for Christmas. Has there been any news on when that will actually be released?

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

cmykjester posted:

I'm still waiting on my copy of EVA 3.33 from Amazon my father got me for Christmas. Has there been any news on when that will actually be released?
Nope. Solicitations are out until July and it's not listed. No response at the past big con either. I'm still betting on a Thanksgiving/Christmas release given their tendency to put big titles there for gift ideas.

GrandpaPants posted:

So is the US still going to get Cowboy Bebop this year?
Targetted for Quarter 4 of this year.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ultimatemegax posted:

As a point of reference, Sentai has scheduled 9 newly made blu-ray releases for August. They currently contract to one author of discs. I would be incredibly cautious for any of the their titles releasing in August (especially after a 7 title month in July). QC is on the outs at both companies, but Sentai is worse at it.

And their release of Sasami-san appears to be DVD-only. :negative:

At least Aku no Hana, Watamote, and Love Lab are getting BD releases.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone is sure picking some weird blu-rays to release in the UK; K and Karneval, did anyone even watch those?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Girls did.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/vot7P8N-eylctUHU8I/browse/item/102701/4/0/0

Rightstuff's got Gurren Lagann movies 1&2 up for preorder on bluray. Maybe we're finally getting close to not having to spend nearly $1000 for the series?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
poo poo that's tempting. The second movie alone is worth it, it was great what they did different.

Also posting to say the SAVE box set of Casshern sins is currently sitting at $16 on Amazon. Never saw the show myself but I'd say that's a pretty decent deal.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a quality bluray release of Diebuster? Best I can tell only the Gunbuster v Diebuster movie is on blu ray?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

Is there a quality bluray release of Diebuster? Best I can tell only the Gunbuster v Diebuster movie is on blu ray?

There's a set of both series in Japan.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Any idea which is the newer of "Cowboy Bebop Collectors Edition" and "Cowboy Bebop Remastered Sessions"? Google isn't helping.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
If you're in the US then you may want to wait. Funimation acquired the rights to Cowboy Bebop and are going to put out a Bluray set (later this year I believe but I could be wrong).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Both are on bluray in japan. The gunbuster bluray is loving INCREDIBLE looking, much better than the footage in gunbuster v diebuster.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

serebralassazin posted:

If you're in the US then you may want to wait. Funimation acquired the rights to Cowboy Bebop and are going to put out a Bluray set (later this year I believe but I could be wrong).

That's their plan, though someone recently asked them the status of the Sunrise stuff they picked up and they said they hadn't gotten materials for most of the shows, so it's hard to say if they'll still have it out by the end of the year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carecat posted:

Any idea which is the newer of "Cowboy Bebop Collectors Edition" and "Cowboy Bebop Remastered Sessions"? Google isn't helping.

I think they're the same thing released under different names in different parts of the world.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

OZC posted:

That's their plan, though someone recently asked them the status of the Sunrise stuff they picked up and they said they hadn't gotten materials for most of the shows, so it's hard to say if they'll still have it out by the end of the year.

That sucks. Didn't they have a teaser of some sorts at a con not too long ago for Cowboy Bebop? Hopefully, it is one of the shows they got materials for.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Do Funimation put out stuff with more effort? The reviews for the current blurays sounded good so there's not a lot of room for improvement unless they do a better remastering?

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

serebralassazin posted:

That sucks. Didn't they have a teaser of some sorts at a con not too long ago for Cowboy Bebop? Hopefully, it is one of the shows they got materials for.

They showed the OP last year when they announced they had it, but all they did there was use the stock Japanese OP with English translations of the production staff below the original Japanese credits, followed by a "Coming in 2014 to DVD and Blu-ray". The show is supposed to be coming back to Toonami soon and they said they will be using the same Bandai Entertainment master's they've had to 10+ years with them being replaced by HD versions as soon as Funimation can provide them, so if we don't hear anything and suddenly Toonami starts broadcasting HD copies, that would be a good sign.

Carecat posted:

Do Funimation put out stuff with more effort? The reviews for the current blurays sounded good so there's not a lot of room for improvement unless they do a better remastering?

Mixed bag with Funimation. Usually, they do a solid job, but sometimes you get stuff like their DBZ BDs. The only thing with those is that they actually have film for DBZ and likely wouldn't for any of their other shows, so that whole situation is a bit unique. There's probably not much else that could be done with Bebop at this point, and since Anime Limited's release in the UK was practically identical to the Japanese BDs, Funimation's hopefully will be too.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Regarding the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-Ray Set, has there been any more word about whether or not it would be released outside of the people who donated to the Kickstarter?

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

It will be.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've never seen Eureka Seven but I wanna give it a try. Coincidentally it just came out on Blu-Ray a little while ago. Should I pick that up?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Eureka Seven is great, one of the best shows of the aughts though it does take a few episodes to get going. Just don't watch the sequel series AO.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or the movie.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Flowers of Evil blu for $40 on Barnes & Noble plus 20% members coupon = about $30 with free shipping.

Worth it just for the buildup to the glorious seventh episode.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Wings of Honneamise is down to $28 on amazon. Can anyone post how good it looks? I've never seen this before but heard so much about it. I'd like to own it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is there any information I don't know about with regard to when NIS America plans to release The Eccentric Family? Should the continuing lack of a release date be taken as a sign that it won't be released after all?

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Rand Brittain posted:

Is there any information I don't know about with regard to when NIS America plans to release The Eccentric Family? Should the continuing lack of a release date be taken as a sign that it won't be released after all?
Prior simulcasts from NISA took around a year after the final Japanese volume came out to be released in NA. I'd expect it early next year as they've solicited until November and they've not done many December releases (only Umineko in 2012 when no November release was scheduled). It's nothing to worry about though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess Anime Limited couldn't escape the curse of Aniplex for long, they just put up the first volume of Kill La Kill for preorder, £60 for nine episodes lolololol.
There might be a regular edition 'late 2015' double el oh el.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess Anime Limited couldn't escape the curse of Aniplex for long, they just put up the first volume of Kill La Kill for preorder, £60 for nine episodes lolololol.
There might be a regular edition 'late 2015' double el oh el.

Be glad you got nine. The US was four episodes for $60. Maybe even more.

• Locked thread