Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Yesterday we ran out of space on a server. I comb through it and delete 16 GB of music and a few TV shows. Not pirated, just through iTunes. Why do people have iTunes? Well let me tell you a little story about local admin...

I've applied for a new job. It's in the same local government so it's low pay but I get more control. As far as I know they have no ticket system. I've looked at Spiceworks and it seems pretty cool, is it cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?

Yaos posted:

Yesterday we ran out of space on a server. I comb through it and delete 16 GB of music and a few TV shows. Not pirated, just through iTunes. Why do people have iTunes? Well let me tell you a little story about local admin...

I've applied for a new job. It's in the same local government so it's low pay but I get more control. As far as I know they have no ticket system. I've looked at Spiceworks and it seems pretty cool, is it cool?

Spiceworks is alright. It can be slow at times but they have made some improvements in that area recently.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

tehfeer posted:

Spiceworks is alright. It can be slow at times but they have made some improvements in that area recently.

I can say Spiceworks is a great free HelpDesk/inventory management tool. The community is great too for support for anything IT related. I actively post on there all the time and they've saved my rear end once or twice as well.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tehfeer posted:

It was a secure room however 3 users had access to it to store some of their sensitive documents. Before we went virtual they had many of their departmental servers in that room. They dealt with the day to day operation and management of those servers. What it comes down to is it was not just a random new employee who walked up and pulled the hard drives out.

I'm kind of curious as to what happened to the employee?

I would ask what kind of person wanders up to a piece of obviously high-tech, obviously important and obviously in-use, piece of equipment and pulls not one, but two parts of it out, just to see what happens.

But we all know the answer to that and probably have seen it happen far too many times.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A too-close-to-home BofH article came in...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/27/bofh_2014_episode_6/

quote:

"So you're replicating the entire financials system for what, 7 YEARS? Or is it 10?"

"I'm just exporting the transactions!"

"Yes, that's what the financials system is. Transactions."

"Well, Anyway, I do 11 years - just to be safe".

"Into Excel?"

"Yes."

"So that's most likely your problem. Too much data."

"But it's been working up until now!"

"Yes, because now you've gone over some limit. How long does the export take?"

"I don't know, I just set it going before I go home."

"Why the hell would you need all the data?"

"I like to be able to plot trends."

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Hurf Durf Power Pivot.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I opened this thread this morning specifically to post that BOFH piece.

Regarding slow computers, there is absolutely no conversation with a user that is likely to give you a good idea of what the issue is. These are the same people who describe an inability to print as a crashed computer. You can ask them what, specifically, is happening slowly and you are still likely to come away with no useful information.

Assuming you can get face time with them and the machine, I like to ask them to reproduce the issue in front of me. Often when they say "everything" is slow they really mean something like "Internet Explorer takes a long time to open" and I can disable their four worthless scamware toolbars and everything is copacetic again.

I once had a user "reproduce" her "problem" and it turned out to be that Internet Explorer took something like 3/4 of a second to open. After this completely normal length of time the user said to me, "See? It's slow." Absolutely no problem to speak of. I think I disabled some minor piece of crap and it went down to 1/2 a second and the user was happy again. I think I could have changed nothing and the user would still have been satisfied that I "fixed" it.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Meanwhile, I've given quantifiable evidence to IT that for whatever reason file transfers to and from our analysis servers go about 1/10th the speed of transfers to any other server in the business and I just get blank stares. I can download games from Steam at home quicker than I can move FEA solutions across the network at work. :sigh:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

jammyozzy posted:

Meanwhile, I've given quantifiable evidence to IT that for whatever reason file transfers to and from our analysis servers go about 1/10th the speed of transfers to any other server in the business and I just get blank stares. I can download games from Steam at home quicker than I can move FEA solutions across the network at work. :sigh:

Sounds like someone didn't pay their Comcast extortion fee for inter-node communication.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
User had an issue with his laptop, and dropped it off. Thankfully he left his password on a sticky note, but every time I tried I couldn't get it to log in.

The password contained i's, l's and 1's. They weren't the only characters, but of course they looked identical in his hand writing. I eventually had to track him down so he could log in, and asked him to verify the sticky note so I could log in again. Said it looked good, so I figured I was just being retarded. Had to bring it back again later when I still couldn't log in, watched him type the password in, and noticed it didn't match what he wrote.

"That's just the way I write those letters."

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
A few years ago my now MIL had an issue with her company IT. Her computer wouldn't boot, the helpdesk guy insisted he couldn't help her unless she could login to the domain. :downsbravo:

I've heard some other horror stories from my wife with her time at the company, she texted me this morning that there was a bug in her monitor, I responded with "what?"

This arrived in response: http://imgur.com/v3sVrae

Note the black mark near the bottom, that is a bug. I don't even want to know what sort of bullshit shes going to go through if it doesn't crawl out of there.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Godsped posted:

She joked about doing that but instead she's going to sort through all of them.

At least I taught her how to empty the recycling bin and deleted folder

I'm pretty sure this thread was where I learned about a tool that will export emails from Outlook into .pst files by year. It might make her task easier if she uses that - sort thru 2014 emails, then 2013, etc.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

tehfeer posted:

It was a secure room however 3 users had access to it to store some of their sensitive documents. Before we went virtual they had many of their departmental servers in that room. They dealt with the day to day operation and management of those servers. What it comes down to is it was not just a random new employee who walked up and pulled the hard drives out.

I'd fire the person on the spot. There's worse offenses, but it shows such a complete lack of understanding of technology or just common loving sense.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Godsped posted:

She joked about doing that but instead she's going to sort through all of them.

At least I taught her how to empty the recycling bin and deleted folder

How the gently caress is this person even doing their job if they have that may unread e-mails?

AlternateAccount posted:

I'd fire the person on the spot. There's worse offenses, but it shows such a complete lack of understanding of technology or just common loving sense.

I would say there aren't really much worse offenses than intentionally damaging hardware that could potentially lose business critical data and in fact did end up costing the company thousands of dollars of hardware plus the time it took to recover everything.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
This person keeps their job and Dick Trauma is getting fired because a DirectTV receiver went down.

There is no justice in this world.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Rawrbomb posted:

I've heard some other horror stories from my wife with her time at the company, she texted me this morning that there was a bug in her monitor, I responded with "what?"

This arrived in response: http://imgur.com/v3sVrae

Note the black mark near the bottom, that is a bug. I don't even want to know what sort of bullshit shes going to go through if it doesn't crawl out of there.

I've had that happen, it's not extremely uncommon. The worst is when they die in a really obnoxious spot.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'm pretty sure this thread was where I learned about a tool that will export emails from Outlook into .pst files by year. It might make her task easier if she uses that - sort thru 2014 emails, then 2013, etc.

http://www.rethinkit.com/prodMailScavator.html

I saved it knowing that one day it will save me some massive headaches.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Wilford Cutlery posted:

That would be really nice; does anyone know what it is?

E:fb Thanks!

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Inspector_666 posted:

How the gently caress is this person even doing their job if they have that may unread e-mails?

I'm not sure but she hired me for an independent event and paid the $200 bill I sent her so her system is working for me.

What really gets me is that she's looking through all 34k unread emails because there might be something important she missed even if it was from 2004.

I'm going to go up to her office in an hour to install mailscavator so that will make a nice difference.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

I have a ton of "unread" emails in my inbox, but I have in fact read most of them. I have outlook set to mark messages as read after they've been open in the reading pane for 1 second, but "1 second" turns out to be more like 5-6 in my experience. I have a shitton of one liners that I can read faster than Outlook can mark them as read, and I just don't bother to mark them off later on. And don't get me started on the amount of rah-rah emails and other internal corporate bs that I just completely ignore.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
CTRL A; Right Click; Mark as read. Having a huge number of unread would drive me nuts for some reason.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

John Kruk posted:

CTRL A; Right Click; Mark as read. Having a huge number of unread would drive me nuts for some reason.

Or just right click on Inbox and Mark as read.

I keep my inbox as clean as possible. Currently only 12 items in there. The rest are sorted into folders.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Lady calls in, states that she forgot her password. So mockingly I state that IT is going to start charging twenty five cents per password change or account lock, to be deducted from your paycheck. She states that's a pretty good idea. We laugh. Twenty minutes later I find out that she's the one in charge of the entire show/building/project.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

m.hache posted:

I keep my inbox as clean as possible. Currently only 12 items in there. The rest are sorted into folders.

Same here. It is my goal to have a completely empty inbox by COB Friday. I have no clue why people feel the need to store years worth of email in their inbox, it makes no sense to me. Just file that poo poo away in a folder if you want to save it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

m.hache posted:

I used to do that. I gave up on it a long time ago, and I'm happier for it.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Lady calls in, states that she forgot her password. So mockingly I state that IT is going to start charging twenty five cents per password change or account lock, to be deducted from your paycheck. She states that's a pretty good idea. We laugh. Twenty minutes later I find out that she's the one in charge of the entire show/building/project.

Congratulations on your new revenue stream

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Phuzzy posted:

Congratulations on your new revenue stream

Coupled with increasingly longer and complex password requirements around Christmas time.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

stubblyhead posted:

I have a ton of "unread" emails in my inbox, but I have in fact read most of them. I have outlook set to mark messages as read after they've been open in the reading pane for 1 second, but "1 second" turns out to be more like 5-6 in my experience. I have a shitton of one liners that I can read faster than Outlook can mark them as read, and I just don't bother to mark them off later on. And don't get me started on the amount of rah-rah emails and other internal corporate bs that I just completely ignore.
You can change that to 0 seconds and it'll mark them read instantly, at least in my experience. That's one of the few boxes that will accept a 0.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Knormal posted:

You can change that to 0 seconds and it'll mark them read instantly, at least in my experience. That's one of the few boxes that will accept a 0.

More importantly, it's one of the few boxes that interprets a 0 as "do this immediately", instead of "infinite time later".

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

JPrime posted:

Coupled with increasingly longer and complex password requirements around Christmas time.

Feel the power grow, become the BOFH you always wanted to be.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

Interesting, I could have sworn I had tried that and found otherwise. There's also the option to mark as read when the selection changes, but that results in the top message in your inbox remaining marked as unread until you select something else.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I'm looking to buy a replacement UTM device for a small business here (20-25 endpoints). Currently tossing around the WatchGuard, Meraki, Untangle and Sophos brands and I'm finding them to be all similar. Now obviously they can say almost anything on their website so I'd like some opinions from other techs if you have them.

Thoughts or recommendations? Kinda leaning towards a Meraki right now.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
On a roll today. Offsite user calls in, states that they want software installed and if I can do it soon. As in right now soon. I say no, since I don't know about full permissions on just up and installing software on systems but the other tech here does. Pass it off to them, they say ok, I'll get it done right now. They then get up and walk out to the bathroom without installing. So I'm kind of wondering if there's an issue between the two, or if the tech is just losing it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

fromoutofnowhere posted:

I've had to run the fee up to $10 and use "bonehead" as the default password before. I collected that fee two or three times a month.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

So we had a new guy start on Monday. Today he finished tearing apart an old imaging station that is becoming his desk. A few minutes ago the IT manager/sysadmin comes in and says, "Hey, did someone unplug a bunch of stuff back here?" "Yeah, why?" "Our domain controller went offline."

Turns out it's a legacy DC in an old Dell tower case that we keep around in case there are users or data that haven't been migrated to the current system yet, which explains why it's stuffed behind a build station under a disused air conditioner.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
Just had to force-power-off a server that was a) 91% through a RAID rebuild after replacing a dead drive and b) in the middle of shutting down because it was trying to install windows updates

Reason? The server lives in a travel case, and was in heavy use until about 2 minutes before it had to be loaded onto a plane to Saskatchewan.

I sure hope it comes up properly when it gets there, because they're not sending me along with it to set it up on site! Haha!

Thankfully it's raid 6 and I've literally never encountered problems from interrupting windows updates on shutdown or I'd be a lot more worried than I am.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

tehloki posted:

I've literally never encountered problems from interrupting windows updates on shutdown or I'd be a lot more worried than I am.

I have (at least, I assume that's what happened). I had a ticket last week where someone had complained that they were unable to log into their system. When I stopped by to look at it, the system was saying that the trust relationship between the system and the domain had broken. Looked at ADUC and the system was still listed and, to my knowledge, no one had joined a second computer with that same name to the domain. Even after removing and re-joining the domain didn't fix it. It wasn't until I had rolled it back to when it last installed updates (earlier that day, I think) that it would finally begin authenticating against the domain again. I'd never seen that happen before.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Gilok posted:

Turns out it's a legacy DC in an old Dell tower case that we keep around in case there are users or data that haven't been migrated to the current system yet, which explains why it's stuffed behind a build station under a disused air conditioner with a note on it saying beware of the leopard.

Fixed.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

TWBalls posted:

I have (at least, I assume that's what happened). I had a ticket last week where someone had complained that they were unable to log into their system. When I stopped by to look at it, the system was saying that the trust relationship between the system and the domain had broken. Looked at ADUC and the system was still listed and, to my knowledge, no one had joined a second computer with that same name to the domain. Even after removing and re-joining the domain didn't fix it. It wasn't until I had rolled it back to when it last installed updates (earlier that day, I think) that it would finally begin authenticating against the domain again. I'd never seen that happen before.

code:
Test-ComputerSecureChannel -credential domain\administrator -Repair -Verbose
usually does the trick. Run that in powershell, log off, then back in and it should be good to go.

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Cool, thanks!

I keep telling myself that I really need to learn Powershell, but I keep putting it off. I think since I'm not on call this weekend, I'll get started. I've got a couple of books and found a couple of Youtube channels that look pretty good.

• Locked thread