Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've been invaded normally countless times in the Iron Keep in addition to the bridge signs, I dunno where you get the idea people don't do that from. It's an interesting arena that people gravitate towards. Heides has a lot of invasions as well.

Th last reward isn't available yet, it's added July 22nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AndroidHub posted:

Also, what did the last special reward in the chest below the Majula Manor end up being?

It's not over until next month.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AndroidHub posted:

Also, what did the last special reward in the chest below the Majula Manor end up being?

Ascetics. Edit: if by last you mean most recent.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 27, 2014

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

RBA Starblade posted:

I never noticed before that the NPC Mirror Squires are invaders from the rest of the game. This last time he summoned one it was the guy with the ultra greatsword and one half of those greatshields that's standing right in front of the fog gate to Undead Puragtory.

They're only players on NG+ and above, on NG it's a NPC.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Part of me wants to make a character named "Mini-Mirror", dress in full Mirror Knight gear, and just try to get summoned by Mirror Knight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I know they're npcs on NG, I mean I didn't know they were NPCs pulled from the NPC invaders in the rest of the game, like the one in front of Executioner's Chariot.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

RBA Starblade posted:

I know they're npcs on NG, I mean I didn't know they were NPCs pulled from the NPC invaders in the rest of the game, like the one in front of Executioner's Chariot.

Oh, well I didn't know that. :downs:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

Part of me wants to make a character named "Mini-Mirror", dress in full Mirror Knight gear, and just try to get summoned by Mirror Knight.

Mirror Mite.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Monkey posted:

Mirror Knightlet :3:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Handmirror Knight. Though I guess that'd be Handmirror K***t. :(

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Handmirror Knight. Though I guess that'd be Handmirror K***t. :(

Actually ****mirror K***t. Because Hand is a dirty word.

(also it wouldn't fit anyway)

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

The Halbard variant isn't anywhere else in the game as far as I know, just comes from the Mirror's in the game.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually ****mirror K***t. Because Hand is a dirty word.

(also it wouldn't fit anyway)

Names can be de-censored on the character's end and show up perfectly regardless of receiver, and the real character limit is 31.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
I went with "Looking Glass Knightlet", thanks a lot Your Computer :)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's not even a terrible pun. Frankly I'm disgusted. :colbert:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Clearly it should have been Mirror Match.

That is a cool gimmick all the same though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well that's an interesting gimmick. A guy hacked himself infinite souls and is waiting in the belfries with Climax. He's also immune to backstabs. He didn't give himself infinite health, but you can't really beat infinite old radiant lifegems and infinite stamina. The fight only died when he walked out of the backstab animation to climax me. (:v:)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
For some reason Rotten was sort of a wall for me. I'd walked through the past 5 bosses or so, but I had to attempt him about 7 times. I think the main problem was that I was trying to keep distance to fire Lightning at him, when it's easier to dodge and bait him closer. I also slapped on Flash Sweat and the flame quartz ring for the last 2 attempts, but I'm not sure that made an appreciable difference.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Boy there are a lot of hackers in the Iron Keep now. One guy hacked his level to zero so you get nothing for killing him, which is kind of petty. Another has more sunlight spears than you can get in five games.

e: I thought they fixed the backstep parry thing?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 27, 2014

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, Bright Cove Tseldora reminds me a LOT of King's Field IV... has anyone else picked up on that? Especially the church where you fight Wandering Magus, and the temple that you wander out of from the Doors of Pharros.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sector_corrector posted:

I think the main problem was that I was trying to keep distance to fire Lightning at him, when it's easier to dodge and bait him closer.

I don't think there's a single boss where that doesn't work (a lot of bosses have a "tantrum" attack that forces you to back off for a while but after the attack you can just go right back into their faces).

I guess the Iron King?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can kill the Old Iron King before he even reaches the platform with lightning spam. There are only two bosses it doesn't really work against, Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon. They both resist it, Vendrick will punish you for it by jumping on your head while you're stuck in the casting animation and you'll break your chime before you kill the dragon with lightning. Every other boss in the game it works for.

I think the real problem he was having is his apparent inability to not stand in fire.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Mans posted:

I don't think there's a single boss where that doesn't work (a lot of bosses have a "tantrum" attack that forces you to back off for a while but after the attack you can just go right back into their faces).

I guess the Iron King?

When the Duke's Dear Freja does its tantrum attack the safest place is actually right up next its body (and not in front of a head, obviously). Makes it easy to get a few good hits in after it's done.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Tarezax posted:

When the Duke's Dear Freja does its tantrum attack the safest place is actually right up next its body (and not in front of a head, obviously). Makes it easy to get a few good hits in after it's done.

Nobody I've ever summoned to fight Freja has survived longer than 10 seconds into the fight, for pretty much this reason. All of Freja's REALLY dangerous attacks hit you in a "keeping a safe distance" range. The only thing that can hit you inside the legs are spider adds and that bite attack that has several seconds of telegraphing.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
How do you people keep getting such poo poo summons? Less than a handful of people I've summoned have died before the boss.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My summons tend to be pretty decent, it's the hosts that tend to be terrible, specially when it came to the Iron Keep and Drangelic Castle.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had a guy eat a belly flop and instantly die to the Demon of Song. I guess he wasn't going to be reverting to the human that day.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TheRagamuffin posted:

Nobody I've ever summoned to fight Freja has survived longer than 10 seconds into the fight, for pretty much this reason.
Ashen Knight Boyd makes a fantastic tank for that fight.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Something about being a phantom invisibly makes you incredibly bad at the game. I can kill a row of bosses by myself with no trouble, then put my summon sign down next to one of them and lose 3 times in a row. I don't know what the difference is besides bosses getting a lot more defense and health with phantoms than they used to, but co-op definitely isn't an easy win against every single boss anymore.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Nobody I've ever summoned to fight Freja has survived longer than 10 seconds into the fight, for pretty much this reason. All of Freja's REALLY dangerous attacks hit you in a "keeping a safe distance" range. The only thing that can hit you inside the legs are spider adds and that bite attack that has several seconds of telegraphing.

Part of the problem with phantoms on freja is that her first attack tends to end up hitting your old location at just the right time to hit a phantom following you through the door. So a lot of players just get hit for 2/3 or more of their health the instant they appear as if the game was Monster Hunter.

If you're a phantom on that boss you always want to enter on the opposite side of the fog wall from the host.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 27, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheRagamuffin posted:

Except you are perfectly safe if you keep your distance from Freja when she flips out. The only time I've ever been hit by it is when I was close to her.

Speaking of Freja, I was sunbroing for her and I got summoned for a ng+ or later fight. I was a little worried when I noticed the baby spiders took extra hits because I didn't really have the armor/vigor to take a hit from a ng+ or higher boss and only had my caestus with no ranged option. Turns out I didn't need to worry because I didn't take a single hit the whole fight. :smug: Then the very next summon I get hit by the first baby spider and killed by Freja within like ten seconds of the fight starting. :shepface:

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Mans posted:

My summons tend to be pretty decent, it's the hosts that tend to be terrible, specially when it came to the Iron Keep and Drangelic Castle.

Guardian dragon was about equal to capra demon from DS1 in my experience, for hosts just up and dying without much you could do about it.
Capra was a bit funnier, because it would often happen before you got through the door yourself.
For guardian dragon, its the fireball attack that hosts just seem to not be able to dodge ever, and it tends to instagib them.

You can usually keep it doing the foot stomp attack by staying close, but at the start of the fight, and if it ever takes to the air, its like a coin flip to see if the host stays alive :)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm really not looking forward to fighting NG+ Freja again for Moonlight. She's the worst.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Something about being a phantom invisibly makes you incredibly bad at the game. I can kill a row of bosses by myself with no trouble, then put my summon sign down next to one of them and lose 3 times in a row. I don't know what the difference is besides bosses getting a lot more defense and health with phantoms than they used to, but co-op definitely isn't an easy win against every single boss anymore.

Death means a lot less as a phantom so you tend to take a lot of dumb risks.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I know I always feel like I have to play better as a phantom than I normally do. I mean, I'm a sunbro, they summoned me because I advertised myself as a co-op badass.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

sector_corrector posted:

Also, Bright Cove Tseldora reminds me a LOT of King's Field IV... has anyone else picked up on that? Especially the church where you fight Wandering Magus, and the temple that you wander out of from the Doors of Pharros.

Tseldora actually reminded me a ton of Resident Evil 4. Pueblo buildings, ziplines, creepy murmuring dudes, awful bug/man monstrosities, it's all there!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

animatorZed posted:

Guardian dragon was about equal to capra demon from DS1 in my experience, for hosts just up and dying without much you could do about it.
Capra was a bit funnier, because it would often happen before you got through the door yourself.
For guardian dragon, its the fireball attack that hosts just seem to not be able to dodge ever, and it tends to instagib them.

You can usually keep it doing the foot stomp attack by staying close, but at the start of the fight, and if it ever takes to the air, its like a coin flip to see if the host stays alive :)

Oh yeah, i never co-oped in that area because after killing the boss i knew all the havel meele only people would die constantly to it.

I just shot the poo poo out of it with the triple bolt crossbow.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Heck ya'll talkin' bout? GD is like the best place to farm late-game souls, SSStones and Medals.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Royal Rat Authority was... sort of fun. The first four rats were easy with whatever the hell thunderstorm is called, and I died once when I tried to fight him like Sif. I then realized that you could probably run under his legs for a reason, and after that it was cake.

I felt sort of like I felt when I beat the Chariot, and I was disappointed that the only thing that opened up was a little alcove with a covenant talking head in it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made a Heide Knight gimmick invader, then lowered my soul memory to 0. Then I would invade at Heide's before the Dragonslayer fight. The first guy I ran into summoned two phantoms as soon as he saw me, but I killed them and saved the host for last. He summoned more after I have him some effigies. I killed a good ~6 people before the host got caught in the rollthrust spam. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

I made a Heide Knight gimmick invader, then lowered my soul memory to 0. Then I would invade at Heide's before the Dragonslayer fight. The first guy I ran into summoned two phantoms as soon as he saw me, but I killed them and saved the host for last. He summoned more after I have him some effigies. I killed a good ~6 people before the host got caught in the rollthrust spam. :smith:

Wouldn't you get soft banned for doing stuff like that?