Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Thank you! Hope I could help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

signalnoise posted:

OK I'm gonna ask. Is anyone here both highly experienced with different paint types AND a user of Minitaire paint? I'm trying to figure out exactly what the issue is with this stuff. It just has so many weird properties. If you are an experienced painter but have not used it but would be happy to analyze a sample for me send me a PM.

So far, I've used Citadel, Privateer Press, Reaper, Reaper HD, VMA Metallics, and Minitaire. I can report the following:

* It pools up like water on treated glass if you paint Minitaire over VMA metallics
* Unless you apply a ridiculously thin coat, it pools in recesses almost like an ink. No other paint I know does this quite like Minitaire
* If left alone, some of the colors will separate. For instance I have to take a paint mixer to my bottle of Lust Pink every time I want to use it because the white part of it falls to the bottom. Other colors have other pigments I wouldn't even expect to be part of the color do the same thing.
* Shaking the paint up creates foam at the top of it faster than other paints I've tried.
* It dries to a candy gloss finish
* If you paint it on really thin, it dries fine. If you paint it at all thick, it just gets tacky, like PVA almost. I wear nitrile gloves when I paint, and the paint comes off on those gloves.

I don't really know wtf is going on with this paint.

- Yep. It doesn't play well with VMA or vallejo liquid metal. Only way around it is to varnish the metal parts first.
- Yep. It'll definitely teach you trigger control, but this is less a problem with Minitaire and more a problem with paints thinned down enough for detail airbrush work. Like with brush painting multiple thin coats are better than one thick coat. There are certain colors that are really thin for me, and it doesn't seem consistent across the line. Angelic blood and saddle brown are pretty close to unusable to me.
- Yep. They all settle, but some worse than others. Some of them mix right back up with a quick shake. Others... not so much. I put an agitator in the problem children. I'm looking at you lust pink and werewolf grey. Also metallics, but those should just go in the garbage.
- Yep. But I haven't found this to be an actual issue when it comes to painting.
- Sometimes. The paint is all over the board when it comes to finish. A lot are super glossy. A lot are more of a satin finish, and a few tend towards the matte.
- Don't know. Never had that happen, but I'm also not in the habit of putting on thick coats.

Minitaire is a mixed bag. They are frustrating at times, but they aren't awful to work with either . Most of my painting gets done with Minitaire, not because I love them, but because the whole set was ridiculously cheap compared to basically anything of similar quality and I'm on a limited hobby budget.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Someone inspire me, because right now I hate painting SO MUCH.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Beerdeer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

So, whats the deal with painting white? I'm looking to do a knights templar bretonnia army (So unoriginal, I know), and my first test-knight was less than successful.

The model is primed white, and my hands arent super steady, hence the shaky crosses. The problems seems to be A: The lovely priming job I did, which is why the scabbard looks rough, and B: The white seems to get grubby as the model is being handled, and the paint over the white primer seems to be coming off a couple of places.

Your white is fine. There are techniques for holding the brush and bracing your hands; I'll try to take photos tomorrow but it's difficult to hold the mini and take a photo at the same time.

Seems you tried to paint the scabbard without over-coating it. Rather than painting only the exact area of the scabbard, apply a more broad coat of paint then do touch-ups later. Much like your red crosses, you must apply a larger amount of paint then correct mistakes later. Applying white to mistakes is far, far easier than coating a surface white over a black base coat with a brush.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

- Yep. It doesn't play well with VMA or vallejo liquid metal. Only way around it is to varnish the metal parts first.
- Yep. It'll definitely teach you trigger control, but this is less a problem with Minitaire and more a problem with paints thinned down enough for detail airbrush work. Like with brush painting multiple thin coats are better than one thick coat. There are certain colors that are really thin for me, and it doesn't seem consistent across the line. Angelic blood and saddle brown are pretty close to unusable to me.
- Yep. They all settle, but some worse than others. Some of them mix right back up with a quick shake. Others... not so much. I put an agitator in the problem children. I'm looking at you lust pink and werewolf grey. Also metallics, but those should just go in the garbage.
- Yep. But I haven't found this to be an actual issue when it comes to painting.
- Sometimes. The paint is all over the board when it comes to finish. A lot are super glossy. A lot are more of a satin finish, and a few tend towards the matte.
- Don't know. Never had that happen, but I'm also not in the habit of putting on thick coats.

Minitaire is a mixed bag. They are frustrating at times, but they aren't awful to work with either . Most of my painting gets done with Minitaire, not because I love them, but because the whole set was ridiculously cheap compared to basically anything of similar quality and I'm on a limited hobby budget.

You pretty much hit all the points; it's a somewhat finicky paint line. Stirring your paints, not shaking them (even if they look mixed) helps alleviate *some* of the weird issues with Minitaire paints. Also I like to sometimes hit my model with a matte varnish before I put certain colors down because a few colors just bead and separate really badly even if you airbrush them. I've had no problems with Angelic Blood or Saddle Brown so I can't comment on those. I never really understood why it matters what finish paints have when they dry. Gloss Varnish + Matte Varnish isn't even an optional thing to me. If I spend the time painting something I'm gonna take 5 minutes to protect my work.

If your paint is tacky, it's not dry. Sometimes I'll leave models half painted for a long while and I've never painted something and then came back after 12 hours and the paint was tacky.

Beerdeer posted:

If you're burned out on what you're currently working on (or just painting in general) just take a painting break for a few days/weeks and/or go grab some one-off model and paint it wildly different than anything you've done. I was getting really tired of my projects so I took some time to paint two of my friend's Monoliths (which I had free reign to paint however I pleased) and that inspired me to start working on some Eldar stuff with a radically different paint style than I normally do.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 28, 2014

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

I dont know about you but as someone who paints 40K I just read some badass fluff and before i know it i cant wait to paint up some awesome transhuman zealots

Not the best examples but im learning

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006

Speckled Jim posted:

I dont know about you but as someone who paints 40K I just read some badass fluff and before i know it i cant wait to paint up some awesome transhuman zealots

Not the best examples? They rule man. Yellow is an incredibly tough colour to paint effectively but you have nailed it. What's happening with the shoulder pads?

Hit a bit of a wall recently on my Mammoth due to my moronic decision to try to paint my entire Skorne army without using metallic paints. In order to push through it I did some work on the base. It's still a WIP but I'm not super confident with my basing so I'd like any feedback. Especially any suggestions on how to differentiate the statuary from the sand without changing it too much.

I don't know what caused the weird strobing on the photo. Here it is with the WIP Mammoth sat on it.

Sorry for camera phone pictures but my digital camera is out of action for now. The red is a lot deeper IRL.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Those lenses are awesome, great work.

Honestly really well done. I like the vegetation and skulls to break it up a bit.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I like how it takes me a week to paint a loving Terminator but I'm on pace to have this Knight basecoated, assembled, and start detailing work in <3 hours.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Speckled Jim posted:

Nice looking guys. Are you going for a slimmer design or are you painting the shoulder pads separately?

The look much more nimble without the added bulk. If you like it go for it, but to a veteran player they will stick out as 'incorrect'. Quick google example of shoulderpads:

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Nice looking guys. Are you going for a slimmer design or are you painting the shoulder pads separately?

The look much more nimble without the added bulk. If you like it go for it, but to a veteran player they will stick out as 'incorrect'. Quick google example of shoulderpads:

Shoulderpads are on him now. I cocked up a bit on these termies. I washed out a lot of the shading when I airbrushed my highlights. Doesnt look like much, but now that the pads are on, the recesses under them look a bit bright. Sorry bout the terrible light in this pic. Been meaning to get some good shots of everything ive done but we have a new puppy in the house and i know once i get them out something will end up in his mouth

Speckled Jim fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 28, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is that a gloss coat or something? How did you make the yellow paint on that Termie so loving shiny? :stwoon:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Realtalk, that's some of the best yellow I've ever seen and your lenses are awesome too.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Ghost Tint. I just got my set in today, and I haven't tried them yet. What should I know about them? Any pitfalls/mistakes to avoid? I've heard it takes a while for them to dry, and behaves differently depending on if you brush it on or shoot it through an airbrush.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Slimnoid posted:

Ghost Tint. I just got my set in today, and I haven't tried them yet. What should I know about them? Any pitfalls/mistakes to avoid? I've heard it takes a while for them to dry, and behaves differently depending on if you brush it on or shoot it through an airbrush.

You can brush it on if you use incredibly thin coats, otherwise it will bubble and streak on you. Airbrushing it is great, but it's incredibly potent stuff, so watch out so you don't oversaturate. You can also mix it into other paints to very good effect. If you want a bright white undercoat with plasma fluid over it, might as well just mix plasma fluid with white and paint with that.

They also work differently depending on which one you get. Oil Discharge is a good armor wash in my opinion, plasma fluid is great at making poo poo look all lasery, and but the blood red one should be applied with a brush in my opinion, for a really saturated blood area.

Test everything before you use it in production of course

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Is that a gloss coat or something? How did you make the yellow paint on that Termie so loving shiny? :stwoon:

Floor polish. Im in New Zealand, so I cant get my hands on future or whatever the magic one is. I just went to Bunnings and grabbed one off the shelf. I use an oil wash and clean it up with cotton buds. Somewhere along the line i think the cotton buds actually polish it to a shine? I have a couple of matt varnishes to try out but i kinda like the level of gloss. Just fortunate to stumble across a technique that works for me i guess.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Slimnoid posted:

The colors are incredibly inconsistent between batches. Not in terms of quality, its all good stuff, but in color itself. I got the ghost tint set when it came out and then got the full Minitaire set (which comes with the ghost tints again) for christmas, and holding two bottle of the same color up next to each other they are hilariously far apart. One of the purples is magenta, one is violet, and so on.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I picked up a crap ton of stuff at an auction at a local game store. In one of the lots there were some Warhammer decals. I don't use them, so I thought I'd see if there was anyone here who could use them, after checking with Winson to make sure it was okay (Thanks Winson!)

The two top ones and the small one are Warhammer Fantasy. The other one is 40K, but it has a bit of water damage. Anyone have a use for them, and I'll mail 'em off.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

The colors are incredibly inconsistent between batches. Not in terms of quality, its all good stuff, but in color itself. I got the ghost tint set when it came out and then got the full Minitaire set (which comes with the ghost tints again) for christmas, and holding two bottle of the same color up next to each other they are hilariously far apart. One of the purples is magenta, one is violet, and so on.

Might be a misprint. There is a Magenta ghost tint.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
After a very busy week with work, I finally had a chance to get back to painting. Got some Micro Art Bases, and combined it with a metal ork warboss (with a little bit of Rhodesian inspired camo), to get my first model on a real base. I'm getting progressively happier with my results.

2 Skullz

With some Boyz

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm not sure how I feel about this

I'm thrown by the visible glue

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

signalnoise posted:

Might be a misprint. There is a Magenta ghost tint.

No it's several of the colors. The greens, blues, red, and purples are several shades different between the two sets.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Slimnoid posted:

You can airbrush Ghost Tints on and create varying shades of the color. You can create really awesome base coats over zenithal primed models; Look up Les Bursley's "I Hate Painting Red" on Youtube to get an example. You can also paint it over contrasting colors to create interesting shading.

Brushing it on basically applies it at full saturation unless you go with really thin layers. Also if you brush it on you have to let it dry fully between coats if you want to make a deeper shade; I used Fresh Blood on a Baal Predator and I didn't let it dry enough and when I went to brush apply in a light spot the brush pulled the original coating off.

They take forever to dry so if you apply some Ghost Tints let them dry overnight. You CAN'T paint over them, the medium in acrylic paint will cause the Tint to start bleeding so you have to seal it in with gloss varnish (I do 2 coats just to make sure) if you plan on using Ghost Tints as a base coat. I haven't run into any color inconsistencies like JTS has but the only Tint I've bought a 2nd bottle of is Fresh Blood.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

signalnoise posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about this

I'm thrown by the visible glue

Is that Dreadball? Do they come with translucent bases like that? If so, that's kind of...different.

But yeah, a little less glue would have helped.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

AndyElusive posted:

Is that Dreadball? Do they come with translucent bases like that? If so, that's kind of...different.

Also, pinning.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Not exactly miniature painting, but in the same ballpark. I finally got a chance to work with my terrain paint from GameDecor.

On the far left are unpainted Dwarven Forge tiles. The next three in each row show the progression from base coat to the two build-up coats. Top is Field Stone and the bottom is Cavern Stone.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

They come with clear plastic bases with space for a little integrated disc base to slot in. I hate the look of it, so I got some acrylic hexes made up.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
What do you guys use when you have to transport your brushes? I usually just use the plastic caps that come with the brush, but I've heard people advise against it, because it might damage them. I've seen pictures of some sort of roll-up case, but not sure if that can replace the caps.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Unless your brushes are being bashed around enough to snap them in half, they will be fine with just the cap on

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I think it was the act of placing the cap on the brush some other poster was worried about. It hasn't really been an issue for me, but I would like to hear what people do when they have to transport their brushes anyway.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That some other poster should probably stop getting people worried over nothing then

To answer your question, I put the cap on carefully and throw them in the back pocket of my rucksack

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

TheBlobThing posted:

I think it was the act of placing the cap on the brush some other poster was worried about. It hasn't really been an issue for me, but I would like to hear what people do when they have to transport their brushes anyway.

I studied calligraphy once, and my teacher considered it a mortal sin to put the plastic cap back on a brush. She was completely horrified when she saw me do it once. So I guess it's bad?

I think the problem is that moisture left in the brush won't evaporate in the same way, so that it stays in the brush instead and ruins the fibers over time. If that is the case, then you should avoid storing your brushes between painting with the cap on. I don't figure that there's a likelyhood that your brush will be immediately ruined from being carried in a bag back and forth from the club with the cap on.

Personally I have used various methods such as fixing them to a bit of cardboard with scotch tape and similar, but finally decided to get a "proper" artists bag for brushes. It's kind of like this one: http://www.kokotools.com/productshow.asp?ID=429

There are tons of similar bags for make-up brushes, so if you can't find one in your local art shop (you should be able to find one in your local art shop), you can look in a make-up store.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 30, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Artists tend to get stuck in their ways, for good or bad, so I would guess your art teacher probably just wasn't one of the cap-using crowd...

But I don't see why this would be an issue. If you rinse your brush, don't let paint dry up near the ferrule and use brush soap when you're finished, a bit of moisture shouldn't be a horrible thing. I have a big cup of brushes and I stand the brushes on end, which (if I'm really feeling anal) isn't a good thing because moisture can seep into the glue holding the bristles in the ferrule, right? So you'd think the brushes should be stored bristle-end down, but I'm not losing brush hairs anywhere so I'm not worried about it. Even in a brush case the brushes can get bounced around and the hairs bunched up... in the end the brushes are a 'wear item', like brake pads on a car, so yes get the best you can afford and take care of them as much as you can, but you're eventually going to have to replace them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I have a big cup of brushes and I stand the brushes on end, which (if I'm really feeling anal) isn't a good thing because moisture can seep into the glue holding the bristles in the ferrule, right? So you'd think the brushes should be stored bristle-end down,

...which is why calligraphy brushes have a noose at the end, so that you can hang them up. But I agree, I don't plan to attach small nooses to all my brushes just so that I can hang them up any time soon. Buying new brushes is far from my largest expense in this hobby as it is.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah, did not know that about calligraphy brushes! Pretty cool.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Thanks for the feedback on the Blood Bowl orc a page or so back, I'll add some numbers and stuff to the team shoulder pads as suggested. Quick question having never used Green Stuff before - if I'm putting some on a base then putting a metal miniature on top, should I be glueing anything to anything or just let the Green Stuff stick itself and the mini to the base?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I dont think i've ever used brush soap on any of my brushes. And i put the caps on. Not had a problem.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

Thanks for the feedback on the Blood Bowl orc a page or so back, I'll add some numbers and stuff to the team shoulder pads as suggested. Quick question having never used Green Stuff before - if I'm putting some on a base then putting a metal miniature on top, should I be glueing anything to anything or just let the Green Stuff stick itself and the mini to the base?

Green stuff alone is pretty strong. It gets really strong if you add super glue as well, but you probably don't have to. Green stuff + super glue is an old and trusted recipe for metal miniatures, when a glue bond alone is not strong enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Cross posting dem hedgerows.

LumberingTroll posted:

Well, this weekend I worked on some hedgerows.

Didn't get as far as I wanted but they are looking good I think.

• Locked thread