Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Powershift posted:

Goonball $3000.

Coast to coast on $3,000. Car, fuel, and repairs included.

I'd be so down for this. I'd say modding allowed but it's also included in the budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

There's so many good things going on here.

Wanna be neighbors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Powershift posted:

Goonball $3000.

Make this happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Powershift posted:

Goonball $3000.

Inaugural winner: geo metro.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Inaugural winner: geo metro.

Naturally, it would be a rally, not a race, and the winner would be the one who does it with the most style.

The guy who shows up on the opposite coast in a geo metro with $2700 in his pocket? get hosed.

The guy who does it in a $2500 alfa? that guy has a shot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Seriously, I have a $350* Civic here that's dying to go coast to coast.

*We're going by original purchase price right?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Powershift posted:

Goonball $3000.

So loving in for this. :getin:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

Goonball $3000.

This is a fantastic idea. I have some friends who've done banger rallies in the UK (Staples to Naples, and another one I can't remember the name of), I'll bet I could even drag a few over for it!
Now, who's good at organizing things?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Linedance posted:

This is a fantastic idea. I have some friends who've done banger rallies in the UK (Staples to Naples, and another one I can't remember the name of), I'll bet I could even drag a few over for it!
Now, who's good at organizing things?

2 man teams? NYC to LA?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

2 man teams? NYC to LA?

however many people fit, or you could ironman it if you're Billy No-Mates.
Got to be more Goony... Seattle to Charlotte?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Linedance posted:

With modern GPS and cell phones we could map various routes to equal length around the country. That way we could have even more participants.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Linedance posted:

Portland to Raleigh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Linedance posted:

Coast to coast would probably get someone killed.

Longest I ever did was 18 hours with a mountain of caffeine and a couple 30 minute stops when I couldn't keep my eyes open. I was younger and stupider back then, I cap around 8 hours now and plan my trips so I can stop someplace interesting and sightsee a bit.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

Longest I ever did was 18 hours with a mountain of caffeine and a couple 30 minute stops when I couldn't keep my eyes open. I was younger and stupider back then, I cap around 8 hours now and plan my trips so I can stop someplace interesting and sightsee a bit.

It'd be a rally, so you'd have set overnight stops along the way (probably at campgrounds or similar). I don't exactly how they work on the UK banger rallies, but from what I understand, the stage isn't complete until the pub arrives (literally, someone had a van kitted out with a wood bar, pumps, cask ales, dart board, etc.).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dev null posted:

Portland to Raleigh.

the goal is to cram as many craft IPAs into your car as you can, and the winner is the one with the most (if any) left at the end of the trip. They must then don the fedora of shame and drink them all alone. (Drivers obviously must be sober)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

xzzy posted:

I did Portland to Chicago in like 18 hours and it drat near killed me. I really like this idea and think we should make this happen.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Linedance posted:

Charlotte to Seattle would be awesome. I wish I had the free time and cash to do this...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Linedance posted:

the goal is to cram as many craft IPAs into your car as you can, and the winner is the one with the most (if any) left at the end of the trip. They must then don the fedora of shame and drink them all alone. (Drivers obviously must be sober)

Contest restricted to VW Jettas and Golfs.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Here is an idea: have a set dollar amount. That's all you get, for gas, the car, etc. BUT....you can sell parts off the car as you make the journey to earn extra cash, and you cannot sell more than 2 parts in the same city. And the car must still be able to move on its own at the end. The person with the most cash left at the end wins.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Isn't there an antique motorcycle rally called the Cannonball or something? It goes coast to coast. If I recall, they have a very sensible handicap system to the points for winning. The older the bike, the more points, the smaller the engine, more points, older rider, more points.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mighty Horse posted:

Here is an idea: have a set dollar amount. That's all you get, for gas, the car, etc. BUT....you can sell parts off the car as you make the journey to earn extra cash, and you cannot sell more than 2 parts in the same city. And the car must still be able to move on its own at the end. The person with the most cash left at the end wins.

In many states you will get pulled over for having no hood, doors etc.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
That would have to play into your strategy....for example, need a hood in Nevada, but not in Arizona, so you wait until Arizona to sell your hood.

Or you could get run a 3cyl Geo Metro and hope for the best.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nocheez posted:

Charlotte to Seattle would be awesome. I wish I had the free time and cash to do this...

Charlotte isn't on the coast though. :colbert:

Arguably Seattle isn't either. Nor is Portland. Unless that's the joke and I'm an idiot.

You'd have to pick some podunk town like Astoria to get an actual town on the ocean in the pacific NW.

Astoria to Wilmington.. 3077 miles, 46 hours of driving.. $400 in gas at 30mpg.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Santa Monica pier is the only correct west coast option.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

xzzy posted:

Charlotte isn't on the coast though. :colbert:

Arguably Seattle isn't either. Nor is Portland. Unless that's the joke and I'm an idiot.

You'd have to pick some podunk town like Astoria to get an actual town on the ocean in the pacific NW.

Astoria to Wilmington.. 3077 miles, 46 hours of driving.. $400 in gas at 30mpg.

Long Beach, WA to Charlotte NC: ~2900mi

^^ lol no, PNW > CA

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Astoria to DC would make sense - Lewis and Clark ended at Astoria, and even though they didn't technically start in DC, the command came from there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Solar Coaster posted:

Long Beach, WA to Charlotte NC: ~2900mi

I like that, the rally can finish in "Cape Disappointment State Park."

We need a similarly goony starting line on the east coast.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The route for Goonball has to follow the original Cannonball Run route. Anything else is just wrong.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

xzzy posted:

I like that, the rally can finish in "Cape Disappointment State Park."

We need a similarly goony starting line on the east coast.

Boring/Sandy/Beaverton, OR to Intercourse, PA

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Wait, people know that Charlotte exists? Well I'll be damned.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

Boring/Sandy/Beaverton, OR to Intercourse, PA

Intercourse has got to lead to Cape Disappointment

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

I interrupt this wall of text to bring you true, gritty loving commitment to vehicular humor:

That is all.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Vlad the Pedestrian Impaler.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011

Stardotstar posted:

I interrupt this wall of text to bring you true, gritty loving commitment to vehicular humor:

That is all.

Man that new Carmageddon game is looking good!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Linedance posted:

Intercourse has got to lead to Cape Disappointment

Intercourse to Cape Disappointment via Boring

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrChips posted:

The route for Goonball has to follow the original Cannonball Run route. Anything else is just wrong.

I like this idea.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Spotted in morning commute traffic at the 280/85 interchange in the SF bay area.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

xzzy posted:

I know for a fact that, from my mom's house in WI near the shores of Lake Michigan to Las Vegas, you can drive it in 27 hours solo with a half hour nap at a rest stop in Nebraska or Iowa (I forget which one)

I sure as gently caress wouldn't do it again though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
You can do Atlanta to Omaha in about 19 hours solo, but you'll be ready to put a bullet in your head out in the middle of a corn field by the time you get there.

edit: I drove my wife and two kids, ages 5 and 2, from Atlanta to Kirksville, MO (about 2 hours north of Columbia) a month ago and it took two days to cover just over 800 miles with the whine generators in the backseat.

bandman fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 28, 2014