Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Kirios posted:

Best game on Wii U is Super Mario 3D World I'm surprised it's even up for discussion.

Maybe I played it at a bad time, but I thought 3D World was a little forgettable. It was really fun in the moment, but I don't really have an urge to go through it again to get all of the green stars. As a "Mario is God, and all of his games rule" type of guy, I was shocked when I didn't click with this one as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Fremry posted:

Too bad you aren't in the US. I got lucky with Target's buy 2 get 1 sale and spent $320 to get a 32GB system (refurb), Nintendoland, Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U, DKC Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D world. Best time to get a Wii U is right now in the US, imho.
I live in Texas. Did my name make you think otherwise? :banjo:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

zfleeman posted:

Maybe I played it at a bad time, but I thought 3D World was a little forgettable. It was really fun in the moment, but I don't really have an urge to go through it again to get all of the green stars. As a "Mario is God, and all of his games rule" type of guy, I was shocked when I didn't click with this one as well.

This has been my experience with 3D World as well. I found trying to play with more than 2 players was an exercise in futility. Too easy to wind up looking at somebody else's character thinking it was mine, or to be on the cusp of getting a green star when somebody enters a warp pipe, etc.

I certainly don't hate it, but it hasn't endeared itself to me in the way that I was hoping.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I liked World but I liked the Galaxy games infinitely more, and just coming of 3D Land, World was still great but wasn't as evolutionary as I was hoping it'd be. Online multiplayer and being able to make your own levels would've extended the game's replayability to crazy levels.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I wasn't a fan of how limited the movement options are in World. I miss long-jumping (it's still there but basically pointless), triple jumping, spin jumping (again, still there but pointless).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Inverness posted:

I live in Texas. Did my name make you think otherwise? :banjo:

Oh sorry, I thought that was still part of the UK GAME deal for £250. Yeah, best deal right now is target buy 2 get 1 free (with one of those being MK 8 to get another game) and a $200 refurb from Nintendo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I wasn't a fan of how limited the movement options are in World. I miss long-jumping (it's still there but basically pointless), triple jumping, spin jumping (again, still there but pointless).

I don't think any 3D mario game has topped 64 in terms of mobility options, but it's hard to design a platformer around a Mario that can easily break everything with skillful air dives and wall jumps angled just right etc.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Louisgod posted:

I liked World but I liked the Galaxy games infinitely more, and just coming of 3D Land, World was still great but wasn't as evolutionary as I was hoping it'd be. Online multiplayer and being able to make your own levels would've extended the game's replayability to crazy levels.

It's really difficult for me to articulate (or even determine) what about 3D World has me lukewarm about it. The multiplayer frustrations are one thing, but I also don't have a strong desire to play it single-player either. Maybe it's because, like you said, it wasn't as evolutionary. I'd really like to see a revisit to the universes of SMB2 or SML. If Nintendo wants to keep relying on old IPs without becoming stale, they have those options.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

SyHopeful posted:

It's really difficult for me to articulate (or even determine) what about 3D World has me lukewarm about it. The multiplayer frustrations are one thing, but I also don't have a strong desire to play it single-player either. Maybe it's because, like you said, it wasn't as evolutionary. I'd really like to see a revisit to the universes of SMB2 or SML. If Nintendo wants to keep relying on old IPs without becoming stale, they have those options.

They can't really go back to SMB2, it was all a dream.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Just buy it when you beat your current games or when and if it goes on sale.

That my plan :unsmith:

Luigi saying "meow" is never not cute.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

KKKLIP ART posted:

That my plan :unsmith:

Luigi saying "meow" is never not cute.
Toad actually has the cutest "meow" sound of all the characters in the game, surprisingly.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Fremry posted:

They can't really go back to SMB2, it was all a dream.

Mario has recurring dreams? It wasn't a dream but actually an out-of-body experience? So many ways to do some gentle revision to allow a return to that world while helping suspension of disbelief. It's not like the Mario series has been historically grounded in realism.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
If we can have Shy Guys, Birdos, bob-ombs, etc. in the rest of the series, there's no reason vegetables and other enemies from SMB2 can't resurface. I'd really like to see a new game that played like SMB2, whether 2D or 3D.

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.
Oh my dear God, why did I buy Wario's Woods? I should have stuck with my initial impulse and just repurchased Lolo's Adventure.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

3DW is my favorite Mario game. I don't know what it is about it but I plan on playing through it multiple times until I completely burn out on it. There's something about it that feels so rewarding when you're playing.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Is Metroid Prime Trilogy still rare? This GameStop has 5 used copies for $50

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

flare posted:

Is Metroid Prime Trilogy still rare? This GameStop has 5 used copies for $50

Yes it is, and for 50 dollars that's as good of a deal as you're going to get.

Also, who wants a Club Nintendo code for 160 coins(3DSXL)? First to PM gets it. - Claimed

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 28, 2014

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Yes it is, and for 50 dollars that's as good of a deal as you're going to get.

Also, who wants a Club Nintendo code for 160 coins(3DSXL)? First to PM gets it.

They also had multiple copies of Xenoblade. The GameStop location the world forgot about.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Does the Pro controller work with Virtual Console and Wii games?

EDIT: Also does the Wii U upscale Wii games? How do they look in HD?

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 28, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It works with all Wii U VC games (and an increasing majority of Wii U games in general), but it does not work at all in Wii mode.

Starhawk64 posted:

EDIT: Also does the Wii U upscale Wii games? How do they look in HD?

The rendering resolution will remain the same, but the image will be scaled up to HD before it's sent to your TV. This might mean they'll look better or worse, depending on how well your TV handled this task before. On my TV, I find they don't look as smooth as they did running from the original Wii, while others have claimed an improvement.

One nice thing is that 4:3 games (all VC games, for example) are now properly pillarboxed in Wii mode, so you don't have to mess with your TV's widescreen setting when you boot them up.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 28, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

flare posted:

They also had multiple copies of Xenoblade. The GameStop location the world forgot about.

I dunno if they're rare anymore so much as Gamestop's ordered reprints and are price gouging.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So I just realized that my pile of DS games have codes in them and went platinum. So what the hell do I get for it? The prizes are the same as they were before.

The Pikmin tote bag is cute and all, but where the premium prizes at?

(this is my first time using club nintendo, help goons!)

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

SyHopeful posted:

Mario has recurring dreams? It wasn't a dream but actually an out-of-body experience? So many ways to do some gentle revision to allow a return to that world while helping suspension of disbelief. It's not like the Mario series has been historically grounded in realism.

My comment was more of a dig at, arguably the worst game in the series having the shittiest most cop out ending.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Fremry posted:

My comment was more of a dig at, arguably the worst game in the series having the shittiest most cop out ending.

Nah dat ending was pretty tight actually

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Trent posted:

So I just realized that my pile of DS games have codes in them and went platinum. So what the hell do I get for it? The prizes are the same as they were before.

At the end of the club year (end of June?) you get a special prize for making platinum for that year. Don't get too excited, they're usually poo poo. Don't get too disappointed, it's free.

They don't usually ship until December.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Trent posted:

gold and platinum rewards only roll around once a year. Spend your coins on whatever, your actually total doesn't matter. It's just your total number of coins throughout the year. In a month or two, gold/platinum rewards will go up.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Louisgod posted:

I saved $12 by waiting on MK8 so :thumbsup: I guess

I didn't wait on MK8, but I still saved $12 by having Amazon just give me a credit two weeks later when it went on sale.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Virt just posted links to both the Shovel Knight OST (including NSF file!) and a second arrange OST, both pay-what-you-want:

https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/shovel-knight-original-soundtrack
https://virt.bandcamp.com/album/strike-the-earth-shovel-knight-arranged
I don't have a system to play the actual game on, but this is really good music. Buy!

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Gashroom posted:

I don't have a system to play the actal game on, but this is really good music. Buy!

Do it. I just finished it tonight, and although it was short, it was really fun. It's a very well put together game. Plus, it's super weird!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gashroom posted:

I don't have a system to play the actual game on, but this is really good music. Buy!

It's on Steam too.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Wii U week 1 trip report:

-Mario 3D World is the poo poo

-Mario Kart 8 is fun as heck

-Wonderful 101 is just fantastic

-The gamepad does not, in fact, suck but actually rules really hard

-Pikmin seems cool but I hate the controls

-The glossy black gamepad looked like it was smeared in lard after like an hour please make a white one with the Dualshock 4's material thank you

Overall the Wii U is super rad and it has good games

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fellatio del Toro posted:

-The glossy black gamepad looked like it was smeared in lard after like an hour

:stare:

:burger::burger::mario::burger::burger:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

-The gamepad does not, in fact, suck but actually rules really hard

This was my biggest surprise with the Wii U. I've put 11 hours into NSMBU in the past 3-4 days on the gamepad and I love it. The only time I notice it is there is when my girlfriend wants to watch the TV and I decide to get another level or two done. I'm well on my way to getting all the coins including the secret levels. I think I have 2.5 worlds left.

I know a lot of people aren't fans of NSMBU, but I freaking love it. Takes me back to my NES days. It's like the perfect mix of SMB and SMB3.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Fremry posted:

Yeah it was pretty creative for Nintendo, gonna have to agree with kewpuh.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

-Pikmin seems cool but I hate the controls

There are two alternate control schemes. One uses the touch screen for stylus controls, and the other uses a Wiimote + Nunchuck setup like the Wii versions of Pikmin 1+2. Both of those are objectively superior to the dual-stick option.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

This was my biggest surprise with the Wii U. I've put 11 hours into NSMBU in the past 3-4 days on the gamepad and I love it. The only time I notice it is there is when my girlfriend wants to watch the TV and I decide to get another level or two done. I'm well on my way to getting all the coins including the secret levels. I think I have 2.5 worlds left.

I know a lot of people aren't fans of NSMBU, but I freaking love it. Takes me back to my NES days. It's like the perfect mix of SMB and SMB3.

I like it as a background game, I play it while I watch tv on my computer

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

SyHopeful posted:

Yeah it was pretty creative for Nintendo, gonna have to agree with kewpuh.

And it's not like the game the dream thing until the end. The manual literally states that it's a dream world.

Super Mario Bros. 2 Instruction Book posted:

One night, Mario had a strange dream. He found himself climbing a long staircase leading up to a mysterious door. Opening the door, Mario's eyes fell upon an incredible world unlike anything he'd ever seen. A quiet voice spoke to Mario, saying,

"Welcome to Subcon, the land of dreams. Our once-beautiful world now suffers at the hands of the evil Wart. Please help us! Only you can free us from his tyranny. Oh, and remember one thing: Wart hates vegetables."

However, before Mario could figure out what was happening, he suddenly awoke on his bed and realized that it was all a dream. The next day, while heading out to a picnic with his friends Luigi, Princess Toadstool, and Toad, Mario told the tale of his strange dream. Hearing this was quite a shock to his friends, who all had the very same dream the night before.

Upon arriving at their picnic spot, the group noticed a small cave. Inside was a long staircase that led up to a door. At the top, the four friends opened the door and stood shocked by what they saw. It was Subcon - the world of their dreams!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

andipossess posted:

And it's not like the game the dream thing until the end. The manual literally states that it's a dream world.

In fact the quote you provided, in the last paragraph, suggests that Subcon was actually real, as Mario and friends are not sleeping. Unless Nintendo was trying to be all Inception.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Wasn't that the point? Subcon is the land of dreams. Mario is visited in his dreams. In the waking world, he finds Subcon, but in the end he wakes up from a dream.

It's clearly meant to be ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's not really meant to mean anything, it's just Miyamoto's way of rationalising how it can be a Mario game despite being full of non-Mario stuff.

• Locked thread