Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

Also sorry Lea and everyone else who doesn't deserve whatever collateral poo poo may ensue, but seriously gently caress what happened and gently caress being politely quiet about it.

On one hand I'm really glad you've come out and blown the whistle on all of this, good on you, but on the other hand I just want to stop thinking about this game and go do something else because this is just hosed up and I want nothing to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
What the Christ?

Now I've gone from feeling kind of ambiguous about having put money into the Exalted kickstarter to actively regretful.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
E: Man this was just an unproductive post in general. Here's to hoping Exalted is some day reclaimed by people who don't have axes to grind over the setting.

Chaotic Neutral fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 28, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

You know what, I don't want to come off as possibly a liar due to overestimation or hyperbole.

If I edited down an mp3 of nothing but Holden making fun of Inugami, it might not be as long as three hours.

EDIT: Oh, and maybe some of the late-night Skyping was 50% talking about World of Warcraft and 50% making GBS threads on everyone.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 28, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The only Inugami I know are from Shin Megami Tensei games. I guess I never imagined them having a particularly stupid voice, except insofar as any talking dog sounds stupid.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

You know what, I don't want to come off as possibly a liar due to overestimation or hyperbole.

If I edited down an mp3 of nothing but Holden making fun of Inugami, it might not be as long as three hours.

Not to mention the fact that most of your interaction with other people at the time was making GBS threads on Revlid and Earthscorpion for Terrifying Argent Witches?

How long that would be in MP3 hours?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Attorney at Funk posted:

The only Inugami I know are from Shin Megami Tensei games. I guess I never imagined them having a particularly stupid voice, except insofar as any talking dog sounds stupid.

He's been Inugami, or TornadoWolf, and I think he's currently Sunder the Gold. He can freak the gently caress out about Lunars sometimes, but he is still a pretty nice guy that deserves 0% of the kind of poo poo heaped on him in those meetings.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So... why come clean about this now? Not that it isn't interesting, but it's a pretty serious own to lay down on the dev team. Do you think it was actually another dev or writer who bought you your title or something?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Bedlamdan posted:

Not to mention the fact that most of your interaction with other people at the time was making GBS threads on Revlid and Earthscorpion for Terrifying Argent Witches?

I think we talked about TAW maybe 15-30 minutes total in Skype, and I did a run-down of the problems I had with it for John that, if read aloud, might take half an hour tops?

So maybe an hour, and I don't think I did much making GBS threads on the authors, if at all. For any that I might have done, I am regretful and shamed.

So yeah. "Most of my interaction with other people."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ferrinus posted:

So... why come clean about this now? Not that it isn't interesting, but it's a pretty serious own to lay down on the dev team. Do you think it was actually another dev or writer who bought you your title or something?

I've talked with some people and read some stuff that makes the level of backroom shitmouth that gets danced around just absolutely unacceptable to me. Also, the PM I got from Holden on some other forum recently, where he wasn't antagonistic but sort of infuriatingly clueless about why anyone seems to think he's done anything wrong.

EDIT: I love the title by the way. I grin at the thought of someone spending $10 to do that. I'm pretty sure he didn't, but thanks to him if he did!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Poor Holden. Well, I mean, "poor" Holden. On one hand this is hugely entertaining, but on the other hand I'm wincing pretty hard.

It's clear what to do, of course: put me in charge of the mechanics of Exalted.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Plague of Hats posted:

I've talked with some people and read some stuff that makes the level of backroom shitmouth that gets danced around just absolutely unacceptable to me. Also, the PM I got from Holden on some other forum recently, where he wasn't antagonistic but sort of infuriatingly clueless about why anyone seems to think he's done anything wrong.

I mean, to be fair, it's not like pulling an entire generation of writers off of the internet forums populated by fans of the previous generation of writing was gonna go any other way.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Bedlamdan posted:

I want to reiterate that I'm not trying to cast myself as some hero or something. I was lovely, too. But I can still take pride in the fact that I am at least trying to be less lovely and also that I wasn't as lovely as Holden.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

As someone who spent a lot of time on the White Wolf forums, I talked with Inugami a lot, and even had 'em on my skype for awhile. Guy literally had aspergers, or was autistic or something, he told me about it once. So yeah.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Yeah, really. I mean, I still want to play the game and "giving money to assholes" is pretty much modern life, but god drat, if what Plague of Hats is saying is accurate. That's pretty loving "small businessman".

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

To be honest, I did hear about the blacklisting. Not from John or Holden, mind you, the most I heard from them about you was "he just isn't interested in working with us" or "we were friends but we're not in touch now." I heard it from someone who was working with Neph on a project, and I'm not sure I want to name anymore names given everything that's going on. I don't know if you quit or got fired, and frankly that's none of my drat business.

Honestly, given most of the rumors I heard about you, I heard from every mouth but the people involved with Exalted. The people most willing to speak negatively about you were involved with different projects.

Most people don't like Inugami though, I thought this was a common thing. Frankly, the people who get poo poo-talked the most is either Theion or Arrakiz.

Well, and you now, but that's sort of a given after a bunch of recent things that have been going on with you.

Plague of Hats posted:

I want to reiterate that I'm not trying to cast myself as some hero or something. I was lovely, too. But I can still take pride in the fact that I am at least trying to be less lovely and also that I wasn't as lovely as Holden.

Look, I don't want to be lovely to you either. But as far as I know, you're the only one poo poo-talking people and I don't see what the point is beyond venting and getting some attention?

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 28, 2014

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Well now that the mystery of 'who bought that title' has been answered...

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Well now that the mystery of 'who bought that title' has been answered...

I asked about it after I saw the avatar. :v:

Well, no, that's not quite true, I did ask someone why he quit and what he's doing now, and the answer I got was "not working with OPP ever again."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think talking about this kind of thing in the open is a good way to try to make it stop.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

I think talking about this kind of thing in the open is a good way to try to make it stop.

The poo poo-talking of forums posters in skype conversations, or people spreading rumors about you?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Plague of Hats posted:

I'm pretty sure none of what I said was a lie, but it was unfair enough that it's pretty misleading. (Except for the paraphrased IM conversation I had with him. At that time he gave no shits, and for good reason.) A lot of that stuff may have been things he put into a doc and sent to a developer, but one way or another it was also stuff the developer told him to do, or gave him no time to do better, or gave him no guidance/coordination to make the whole book fit together. He was working on a line where someone could turn in Obsidian Shards of Infinity or Lillun and get published, and where the supplement churn meant you had a couple months to wrap-up 30k, 60k, 90k words. I think we had something like 4-5 months for Shards and I still hosed up some Theion Charms and never replaced those loving awful auto-fire rules.

Most of that post was just pitching a fit. I still think it's pretty unfair to, at that point, literally tell someone "You might do okay but it is totally impossible for you to make what I want because this one guy with pretty similar ideas isn't working with you." (There were other, better reasons to think things would be bad!) And that IM conversation we had was also pretty devastating to me, because I was totally into what he was doing and he outright told me "Man, this poo poo is loving dumb." But that's not Neph's fault, and I took out my frustration on him.

How about no more dancing around that shadowy backroom gossip crap, then? Everyone loves that dumb poo poo. I think it's pretty funny that some people have suggested I got fired for making that post. In fact, I felt extremely safe, because as much as that screed was borne out of my personal, overblown frustration, it was also me parroting Holden.

Maybe some of you remember me stupidly cheerleading EX3 by bragging about 7-8 hour Skype chats? That was kind of bullshit. The last 3-5 hours of nearly every Skype was 90% Holden making GBS threads all over anyone who was no longer in favor. I can't say as he actually hates those people, but he is certainly willing to poo poo-talk them for literally hours on end. By 6am it would be Holden, with me and maybe one or two sleepy others listening to him.

I won't claim I didn't join in a little, and I probably would've been just as bad, but he led the meetings and I just didn't know enough gossip to be able to poo poo on someone's head all night. Everyone else had more class than that, though. The Erics are faultless, and everyone else only contributed normal levels of bitching. And I don't begrudge anyone complaining in private a little about some fuckup someone did, or making a little fun of the fans when they're annoying. But whatever anyone else did, only one guy told me at great length how everyone not currently on the writing team was basically a useful idiot, propping up Exalted until it could be gloriously reborn under the guidance of the guys with the best opinions.

Only one guy in those meetings relentlessly called sometimes annoying but unerringly faithful super-fan Inugami a "retard" and mocked him with some stupid voice. For hours.

At a time in my life when I was trying to dig myself out of that loving relentlessly negative attitude, every 2-4 weeks I would sit there and grin and laugh, listening to someone be as bad as the White Wolf Exalted forum ever was for three or more solid hours.

I'm not some prolific professional RPG guy, so maybe I've got the wrong impression. Maybe the only thing impressive about Holden's vitriol is its stamina. If all-night bitchfests about perfectly nice people are normal, I'm pretty okay with burning those bridges and being blacklisted from those parties.
Frankly from what I hear about the WW forums those people probably deserve one - one - lengthy bull session of "oh my goooood are they apologizing for the AVATAR OF CORRUPTION these people on the internet!!"

Who exactly were the 'useful idiots' anyway? The fans? The other writers?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nessus posted:

Who exactly were the 'useful idiots' anyway? The fans? The other writers?

Michael Goodwin, Neall Price, Geoff Grabowski, John Chambers* got the most talk, but pretty much every former author who wasn't currently on the "inside" team was either a traitor, traitor-in-waiting or someone barely competent who might be useful to bring back for grunt work.

* Yes, I know, whatever.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

See, this is what bothers me. He knows. He knows drat well that people poo poo-talked him. And you care more about it more than he does! I can't speak for Goodwin, Grabowski, or Chambers, mind, so maybe they'll feel avenged at least.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think that it's important to get this stuff out there, because it gives reasoning as to why Plague quit and has been so negative since then, especially since he just got through having to explain that no, he was not, in fact, fired.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Plague of Hats posted:

Michael Goodwin, Neall Price, Geoff Grabowski, John Chambers* got the most talk, but pretty much every former author who wasn't currently on the "inside" team was either a traitor, traitor-in-waiting or someone barely competent who might be useful to bring back for grunt work.

* Yes, I know, whatever.

Wait, wait. Grabowski? Grabowski? But-

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, back up and explain this one, Plague. I'm calling bullshit.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
The idea that Holden spends hours on end bitching out his fans and colleagues is both funny as hell and totally unsurprising.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Ugh, this poo poo is depressing. Why can't people be loving professionals?

Dammit Whom
Mar 10, 2012
How is it that the best thread on SA is the one about the weird nerds who roleplay as SSJ4 goku?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
So, I don't want to rain on the parade, but I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge around here that Holden is a jackass. Was anyone really saying otherwise?

It's just that as long as he can keep his behavior out of the game I won't care. Too bad that already happened.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

Ugh, this poo poo is depressing. Why can't people be loving professionals?

RPG writing doesn't pay much, when it pays at all. You mostly get the people who are willing to work for free. And working for free is, literally, the exact opposite of 'being a professional'.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Ferrinus posted:

Poor Holden. Well, I mean, "poor" Holden. On one hand this is hugely entertaining, but on the other hand I'm wincing pretty hard.

It's clear what to do, of course: put me in charge of the mechanics of Exalted.

Listen to this dude. He's the only one that can save exalted, now. Give him the keys.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

RPG writing doesn't pay much, when it pays at all. You mostly get the people who are willing to work for free. And working for free is, literally, the exact opposite of 'being a professional'.

OK, let me rephrase: Why can't people be decent to each other, even if they aren't getting paid for it?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

OK, let me rephrase: Why can't people be decent to each other, even if they aren't getting paid for it?

Oh, well, that's because the earth is tainted by sin.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

drat sin-cursed world. :dawkins101:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

This is entertaining gossip, but, yeah, I already knew that Holden had it in him to be a dick and that Morke was at the least insanely self-important, so obviously they're going to be mean about people they don't like in private. Who among us can say that they haven't complained to their internet friends in real time about people they don't like from these forums, for six hours straight, into the wee hours of the morning. Not I,

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

This is entertaining gossip, but, yeah, I already knew that Holden had it in him to be a dick and that Morke was at the least insanely self-important, so obviously they're going to be mean about people they don't like in private. Who among us can say that they haven't complained to their internet friends in real time about people they don't like from these forums, for six hours straight, into the wee hours of the morning. Not I,

Honestly this whole thing is so stupid and gross and pointlessly loving petty. If this is what you guys were like then I'm glad you've refused to actually tell us anything about what you were thinking or feeling for the last year and change.

e: not you, Ferrinus, but you, the collected mass of Exalted writers, up to and including Plague of Hats. (though of course if you want to shut up forever, Ferrinus, far be it from me-)

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Then again, you aren't also taking their money and professing you intend to entertain them.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ferrinus posted:

There was a conversation where he was basically under suspicion of being an emergency replacement for John and Holden because they might be expected to gently caress up. One of the reasons for this was because his draft for the economics section, which no one but the developers ever saw, was characterized as boring nonsense garbage, and that might be because he was trying to sabotage them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Plague of Hats posted:

There was a conversation where he was basically under suspicion of being an emergency replacement for John and Holden because they might be expected to gently caress up. One of the reasons for this was because his draft for the economics section, which no one but the developers ever saw, was characterized as boring nonsense garbage, and that might be because he was trying to sabotage them.

I suppose this is why we're getting no Creation Ruling Mandate or whatever it was called?

• Locked thread