Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aers
Feb 15, 2012

uuuummm posted:

Hi guys.

I was hoping you could recommend me some badass girly shows. I recently finished Revolutionary Girl Utena and absolutely LOVED it. I now listen to the movie soundtrack daily (don't judge me.)

Any shows with feminist themes or just one badass female character would do. I loved PMMM (although admittedly more depressing than inspiring) and enjoyed Kill la Kill's Kiryuin Satsuki (but looking back I really did ignore a lot of the fanservice in order to enjoy the show.)

I'm still pretty new to anime so anything you recommend I probably haven't seen. I'm also pretty dumb so I hope my question is clear enough. Thanks!

Watch Kyousougiga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

uuuummm posted:

Hi guys.

I was hoping you could recommend me some badass girly shows. Any shows with feminist themes or just one badass female character would do.

First of all, you should go watch Princess Tutu. Like right now.

When you're done with that:

Seirei no Moribito - Extremely capable and self-sufficient female protagonist. Maternal and nurturing, but also real good at hitting people with pointy sticks.

Kino's Journey - A tomboy and her talking motorcycle travel to weird places and occasionally shoot stuff.

Black Lagoon - A Japanese businessman gets kidnapped by pirates, whose muscle is a hard-drinking, murderously psychotic female gunman with a foul mouth. This show is basically Badass Ladies: the Anime.

Kyousougiga - A girl with a magic hammer wanders into a wacky fantasyland to find her mother. Family drama ensues.

Psycho-Pass - A naive young woman joins the police force in futuristic dystopia Japan, and learns the hard way that the world is not as simple as she'd like to believe.

A Certain Scientific Railgun - A walking electric superweapon eats cake with her friends, and battles the occasional mad scientist. Mild fanservice warning.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

uuuummm posted:

Hi guys.

I was hoping you could recommend me some badass girly shows. I recently finished Revolutionary Girl Utena and absolutely LOVED it. I now listen to the movie soundtrack daily (don't judge me.)

Any shows with feminist themes or just one badass female character would do. I loved PMMM (although admittedly more depressing than inspiring) and enjoyed Kill la Kill's Kiryuin Satsuki (but looking back I really did ignore a lot of the fanservice in order to enjoy the show.)

I'm still pretty new to anime so anything you recommend I probably haven't seen. I'm also pretty dumb so I hope my question is clear enough. Thanks!

Rose of Versailles is crazy good. It follows the daughter of a French nobleman who is raised as a man and becomes captain of the Royal Guard in the years leading up to the French Revolution. She's a total badass.

(Also, that ending theme. OSCAAAAAAAAAAAAR!)

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
Thank you all very much! This is exactly what I wanted. I love you all. :allears:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

uuuummm posted:

Hi guys.

I'll add to the recs by also suggesting

Birdy the Mighty
Claymore (the ending for the anime sucks though)
Lupin the Third: Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Third: The Girl With the Blue Eye
Michiko & Hatchin

I'm also going to recommend the following shows that aren't action oriented, but have strong female leads. (In Paradise Kiss, Nana's, and Princess Nine's case though, I'd say they all have some good feminist writing as well)

Paradise Kiss
Nana
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Princess Nine
Hanasaku Iroha
Bodacious Space Pirates

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watch the Gunsmith Cats OVA, the manga is harder to recommend because it gets creepy about Minnie-May sometimes.

Also there's nothing wrong with listening to the Utena movie soundtrack that much, because it owns.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 22, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Gunbuster. The lead doesn't start out badass but holy hell she gets there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also you could try any of Bee-Trains 'girls with guns' trilogy; Noir, Madlax, El Cazador de la Bruja. They can be a bit slow, but all the main characters are interesting and have a lot more going on then it first seems. Also they have amazing Yuki Kajiura soundtracks.

Or, if you haven't seen Madoka, seriously, you should.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 22, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is rather out of the blue, but I can't believe how good Monster is. Very very few series, anime or other, have me on the edge of my seat, but 43 chapters in and I can't stop reading. It's so loving great.

Honestly a little worried it can't keep up this pace for another 120 chapters, but who knows.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Or, if you haven't seen Madoka, seriously, you should.

Madoka is airing on a kids' channel here in Australia. Again.
So, when I finally watched it, not only did I think it would be adorable... but I also thought it was for kids.
Just imagine that.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha, does it air at normal kids TV times? So many traumatised children. :v:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The original airing was around 9 PM and no one complained about it so apparently Madoka isn't as traumatizing as people make it out to be, who knew!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

This is rather out of the blue, but I can't believe how good Monster is. Very very few series, anime or other, have me on the edge of my seat, but 43 chapters in and I can't stop reading. It's so loving great.

Honestly a little worried it can't keep up this pace for another 120 chapters, but who knows.
Welcome to the world of Naoki Urasawa. I take it you finished 20thCB? What did you think?

His other must-read is Pluto, and presumably Billy Bat (I've been waiting for it to end myself).

Naoki Urasawa is pretty, pretty good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Im surprised no one mentioned Twelve Kingdoms. Its basically a coming of age story for a modern day girl transported to fantasy world comprised of, well, twelve kingdoms. There are lots of strong female characters throughout.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

Welcome to the world of Naoki Urasawa. I take it you finished 20thCB? What did you think?

His other must-read is Pluto, and presumably Billy Bat (I've been waiting for it to end myself).

Naoki Urasawa is pretty, pretty good.

20th Century Boys was very very good but not nearly the world-shaking epic it'd been hyped up to be(at least, in the real world :v: ). This was going in knowing literally nothing about it, I'd never seen a single page or read any plot synopsis(same goes with Monster aside from the semi-spoilery kissmanga summary and seeing an Anime Wilford Brimley screencap). Some parts were jarring and others were dragged out way too much, or too much was spent focusing on something to hammer it into your head. That said, a lot of the character development was outstanding, Kanna is an incredible character, and one part of the ending I had been wishing for from the beginning that I won't spoil actually happened, so I was satisfied with that.

I am now 61 chapters into Monster and there's a recurring theme with Naoki Urasawa's works that I wholly dislike: omniscient villains. Johan seeing Tenma hiding in a bush from hundreds of feet away, casually, because he somehow sensed him there, that sort of poo poo just makes me roll my eyes[spoiler]. Other than that, a lot of it's been fantastic, with tons of [spoiler]character development for characters who may or may not survive, Richard also has an incredibly well-done battle with his alcoholism during his arc. The BKA agent is an amazing character as well, perfectly flawed. Monster seems much more well-paced than 20th Century Boys. At times 20thCB seemed like it was trying to handle too many character arcs at once and bogged things down.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Personally I think Pluto was Urasawa's best work, but I can understand why people love 20th Century Boys and Monster more. Course, I might also be a sucker for Astro Boy since robots are cool.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like Master Keaton better than all of them (Monster is close, though), which I imagine isn't a widely held opinion.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

I like Master Keaton better than all of them (Monster is close, though), which I imagine isn't a widely held opinion.

Urasawa didn't write for Keaton, only the art.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Im surprised no one mentioned Twelve Kingdoms. Its basically a coming of age story for a modern day girl transported to fantasy world comprised of, well, twelve kingdoms. There are lots of strong female characters throughout.

Yeah, it's an obvious choice here. It definitely passes that whole feminist test of "does a female character exist that isn't defined by her relationships with male characters*?" Seriously a great show; it's literally the only long anime I've watched and enjoyed since being a teenager (was/am now 27 when I watched it). One of those things I felt sad about finishing.

*The interesting thing about this test is that most shoujo shows and manga also don't pass it (and the ones that do are usually good, like Kakukaku Shikajika or something); it isn't just something that applies to works aimed at men.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 27, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, it's an obvious choice here. It definitely passes that whole feminist test of "does a female character exist that isn't defined by her relationships with male characters*?" Seriously a great show; it's literally the only long anime I've watched and enjoyed since being a teenager (was/am now 27 when I watched it). One of those things I felt sad about finishing.

*The interesting thing about this test is that most shoujo shows and manga also don't pass it (and the ones that do are usually good, like Kakukaku Shikajika or something); it isn't just something that applies to works aimed at men.

This made me think of what shows would pass the Bechdel test but even harem love-comedy mangas like Nisekoi pass it fairly easily; it'd be just a little ironic if harem shows passed the test at a higher percentage than Western sitcoms and movies.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Furious Lobster posted:

This made me think of what shows would pass the Bechdel test but even harem love-comedy mangas like Nisekoi pass it fairly easily; it'd be just a little ironic if harem shows passed the test at a higher percentage than Western sitcoms and movies.

A side effect of the increasingly popular heroines defined by the absence of any relationships with men, or even preoccupation with them, lest they be sullied in the eyes of the otaku. As a result they only talk about fancy cakes and guns/tanks/zombies/other obscure interest.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Is there another manga like Dorohedoro?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is Mirai Nikki good? Either the anime or the manga

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

icantfindaname posted:

Is Mirai Nikki good? Either the anime or the manga

Do you like really trashy exploitation flicks? Because Mirai Nikki is the best/closest anime has ever come to that.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

In other words, yes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mirai Nikki would have been way better if the author themselves didn't clearly have a yandere fetish and tried to twist the whole codependent love thing as something you as the viewer are supposed to view as a good conclusion. Maybe I'm just an idiot and that wasn't the intention but it basically soured the whole experience for me.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Mirai Nikki would have been way better if the author themselves didn't clearly have a yandere fetish and tried to twist the whole codependent love thing as something you as the viewer are supposed to view as a good conclusion. Maybe I'm just an idiot and that wasn't the intention but it basically soured the whole experience for me.

Well I'm reading it now and Yuno is pretty clearly messed up. I don't really feel it portrays it in a positive light or whatever. This is pretty good though, I am not disappointed. Maybe things change later on?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's a whole arc dedicated to calling them out for how dysfunctional their relationship is. I mean you could perhaps argue that they didn't learn anything from it and are still just as bad by the end, but even if you do it still works as black comedy.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's a whole arc dedicated to calling them out for how dysfunctional their relationship is. I mean you could perhaps argue that they didn't learn anything from it and are still just as bad by the end, but even if you do it still works as black comedy.

Yeah, I always liked how the story made a bit of a point of just how hosed up they both were to be in the relationship they were. Yuki basically ended up with intense Stockholm Syndrome and Yuno sprinted at batshit insanity like her life depended on it and never slowed down.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brasseye posted:

Is there another manga like Dorohedoro?

Someone please tell me the answer to this is yes, though I kind of doubt it; Dorohedoro is easily one of my favorite manga ever and probably the most unique fantasy/sci-fi setting I've ever seen/read. If anyone hasn't read it yet, they really should.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I can't think of any manga like it, but Clive Barker's book series Abarat is probably the closest thing I've read to it. Has the same Alice in Wonderland type story + creepy stuff, and great illustrations (that are actually watercolor paintings I believe) if you get the proper versions. If you're fine with actual reading I highly recommend it.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Can someone describe Homestuck for me?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Widestancer posted:

It's a series of challenges.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I like the implicit assumption that Homestuck is anime. It's true, it might as well be

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Widestancer posted:

What you ask is theoretically possible, but to my knowledge has never been attempted.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's basically a modern take on Hi no Tori by Osamu Tezuka...

... except being way more awesome, at least according to my niece. Then again, she's a fervent fujoshi, so diff'rent strokes and all that.

In truth, Homestuck is a very interesting concept with a less-than-stellar execution. Also, according to the aforementioned 14 year old girl, it possesses a fandom almost as annoying as the moherfucking Tool Army.

Is it anime, though? I don't know.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Are there any animated renditions of this "Home stuck" thing?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sure.

E: How did I not think of this one first?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 28, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a bad, dangerous idea to even bring it up outside of its thread, unless you're going to be using much more obvious jokes than that. You don't want to risk a poster who will answer the question sincerely showing up and doing that all over your thread. Not even in ADTRW.

I have a question. Apart from Lupin the 3rd and Golgo 13, what animes have good heists or other elaborately-planned crimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

If neither of those are a gorilla pissing in its own mouth, then you hosed up

• Locked thread