Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Yoshifan823 posted:

I was very pleased by Kelsey Grammar's performance, especially because I just started watching Frasier for the third time and it would have been easy for me to not take him seriously, but he stepped up and was hella threatening.

Oh yeah, he was great. There are certain points where it seems like he's intentionally doing his best Optimus Prime impression, and it's just chilling. He's got that calm, menacing stare down pat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah I liked legit everyone who was in an antagonist role. They all had loving reason for being there.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

I was very pleased by Kelsey Grammar's performance, especially because I just started watching Frasier for the third time and it would have been easy for me to not take him seriously, but he stepped up and was hella threatening.

He really nailed menacing and dangerous in a way I'd have never expected. It was like when Robin Williams did Insomnia and suddenly directors went "Holy poo poo this clown can terrify people" and got him much different roles. I expect to see Kelsey Grammar get the same.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
You guys should check out "Boss", he's about as unfrasierly as it gets in that

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Has SuperMechaGodzilla made a really long post about how this movie was actually good yet?

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008
Armond White (who is now writing for...National Review?) disliked it, so it must be great.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/381385/static-odysseys-transformers-4-and-snowpiercer-armond-white

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp
This movie was loving bananas.

Its better than the first three films in every way (hated the second & third one). The main improvement was replacing Shia Labeouf's character, his parents, and the insufferable "humor" that came with them with actual actors such as Wahlberg, Stanley Tucci, and Kelsey Grammar (who's characters were by far the best of the human cast in this one, too). Lockdown is hands down the most interesting villain in the series so far. Listening to his dialogue with Optimus about the history of the Transformers and the "creators" actually had me curious about what he was saying, not to mention the house of horrors inside his spaceship - were those captured (non-mechanical) aliens locked up in there? Interesting! Galvatron's first confrontation with Optimus/the autobots really stood out as well, although I wish we got more dialogue out of him. Also my theatre was completely full and there was a standing ovation/clapping that took place when the credits rolled. Did this happen to anyone else?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Kaytwo posted:

Also my theatre was completely full and there was a standing ovation/clapping that took place when the credits rolled. Did this happen to anyone else?

Yes but since it was the premiere, I think Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto started it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CJSwiss posted:

Armond White (who is now writing for...National Review?) disliked it, so it must be great.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/381385/static-odysseys-transformers-4-and-snowpiercer-armond-white

The thing I find interesting about the Transformers series is how, despite critics panning them without an ounce of thought or reflection* beyond the cultural zeitgeist that Michael Bay is a dumb manchild and despite the hardcore nerds hating them because they're not G1, these films still make ridiculous amounts of money and I can never find someone who shares these views. It's like the average movie-goer loves them. When I saw TF4 at midnight in Imax 3D, the theatre was packed. When I saw TF3 at opening night in Imax 3D, the theatre was packed.

*Watch how every reviewer keeps mentioning that the human-built robots are Decepticons.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Yoshifan823 posted:

No poo poo, when Mark said something along the lines of "Oh are you going to shoot my daughter this time?", Grammar just smiles.

I casually avoided the third one, how justified is the government's "gently caress all giant robots, forever" mentality? Chicago didn't look too bad in the scenes I saw before having to leave due to illness.

Milky Moor posted:

these films still make ridiculous amounts of money and I can never find someone who shares these views. It's like the average movie-goer loves them.

Movies like the Transformers films are a great chance to remind movie reviewers, internet and otherwise, are immaterial. People dig Transformers. They'd fall asleep at Citizen Kane.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 28, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MisterBibs posted:

No poo poo, when Mark said something along the lines of "Oh are you going to shoot my daughter this time?", Grammar just smiles.

I casually avoided the third one, how justified is the government's "gently caress all giant robots, forever" mentality? Chicago didn't look too bad in the scenes I saw before having to leave due to illness.

In the third film, Sentinel Prime basically gives the order to seal off the city and kill everyone in it to send a message to the rest of the planet. There's a montage which shows that the Decepticons are very, very efficient at this task.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Man that movie was all over the place. Enjoyed it but probably wouldn't see it again. Dinobots were cool. Have no idea how they're going to follow this up.

I definitely noticed that the CIA man sounded exactly like Optimus Prime in that scene with him and Wahlberg. I was confused as to why Optimus never used his sweet Iron Man rocket-boots until the last 2 minutes of the movie.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

MisterBibs posted:

http://vimeo.com/55083797

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I want to know how only 1,300 people died during the events of the third film. That's an awfully low bodycount for giant alien robots murderizing an entire city.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bay does that thing from DOTM again where he contrasts a real-life toy against real-life violence. :ranbowdash:

I think he also compared unfair employee contracts regarding intellectual property ownership to slavery.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Milky Moor posted:

The thing I find interesting about the Transformers series is how, despite critics panning them without an ounce of thought or reflection* beyond the cultural zeitgeist that Michael Bay is a dumb manchild and despite the hardcore nerds hating them because they're not G1, these films still make ridiculous amounts of money and I can never find someone who shares these views. It's like the average movie-goer loves them. When I saw TF4 at midnight in Imax 3D, the theatre was packed. When I saw TF3 at opening night in Imax 3D, the theatre was packed.

*Watch how every reviewer keeps mentioning that the human-built robots are Decepticons.

That is... incredibly interesting.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone hammered out reviews to this movie a month ago when a particularly good Transforming-based pun came to them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I went to see it Thursday night at 9 and there wasn't a single empty seat in the theater. The whole audience loving loved the movie. Tons of laughters and clapping and cheering. It was a great experience all right and the movie delivered.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are the action sequences at least good this time? I mean action flicks like Avatar had shallow as gently caress stories and characters but I still enjoyed Avatar because it had some amazing action sequences. The last three Transformer movies though, everything was so in your face and difficult to watch that not even the action was enjoyable, so there was nothing redeemable about these films.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Are the action sequences at least good this time? I mean action flicks like Avatar had shallow as gently caress stories and characters but I still enjoyed Avatar because it had some amazing action sequences. The last three Transformer movies though, everything was so in your face and difficult to watch that not even the action was enjoyable, so there was nothing redeemable about these films.

The action sequences are as dull as ever. The movie is bright and colorful though so if you have a childlike appreciation for things like that this poo poo is right up your alley!

sponges fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 28, 2014

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I said come in! posted:

The first Transformers did the action/pacing quite well, really - it was the details that were the issue. The third had "too much at once" syndrome going on - I liked them because they were impressive in other aspects, but they weren't Spielberg/Cameron styled sequences in tone like the first, just in structure.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
I can't understand how Bay can be so good at the action/spectacle side of things and be so so so bad at dialogue and character building on the other side of things. Optimus is interesting because he is in fact insane and the bad guy robot was good, but everyone else is so bad. It's worse than what you'd expect from a low budget TV show. He has two and a half hours across four movies and he just fills it with the weakest, most cliche spouting garbage characters that could be imagined.

I really liked it overall, but any time the scene shifted to Wahlberg/Tucci/CIA man I was just readying myself for more badness.

Actually, considering how good Pain and Gain was, I can only assume he's trying to make a movie that children can enjoy and this is his way of doing that. If he deliberately makes some elements as shallow as a children's puppet show then he can speak to that audience.

Jayisspecial fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 28, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Shia's not taking this well:

http://www.justjared.com/2014/06/27/shia-labeouf-wildly-chases-a-homeless-man-hours-before-arrest/

http://www.justjared.com/2014/06/27/shia-labeoufs-arrest-at-cabaret-everything-you-need-to-know/

http://www.justjared.com/2014/06/27/shia-labeouf-released-from-police-custody-after-arrest-during-cabaret-photos/

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Jayisspecial posted:

I can't understand how Bay can be so good at the action/spectacle side of things and be so so so bad at dialogue and character building on the other side of things.

Talent doesn't require taste.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What happened to cause his descent into madness? After starring in Transformers 3 which became one of the most profitable movies of all time, I would think he would be cool with relaxing for a while, hooking up with chicks every day, and doing rich people stuff. Is he abusing drugs or what's the story?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Transformers 3 was actually a Shia LaBouef biopic.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

I said come in! posted:

What happened to cause his descent into madness? After starring in Transformers 3 which became one of the most profitable movies of all time, I would think he would be cool with relaxing for a while, hooking up with chicks every day, and doing rich people stuff. Is he abusing drugs or what's the story?

Late onset child star-ism. His upbringing was really hosed up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jayisspecial posted:

I can't understand how Bay can be so good at the action/spectacle side of things and be so so so bad at dialogue and character building on the other side of things.

Don't look at Bay, look at the writers.

Ehren Kruger, who wrote TF3 / 4 and rewrote TF2, is responsible for such amazing scripts as Scream 3, The Ring Two, Reindeer Games, Impostor and Scream 4. Orci and Kurtzman speak for themselves in terms of writing scripts that are great at references but suck structurally.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Do they mention Sam at all in this film?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yes, Prime's first lines in the film actually directly address him and give some closure to his character.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rei_ posted:

Yes, Prime's first lines in the film actually directly address him and give some closure to his character.

Wait, really? What did he say?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

We should try handing the next script over to Damon Lindelof to see how people would react.

Or better yet, Shane Black. Make him the script doctor like with Predator. If he's the main writer, there's going to be some conflict with him wanting the movie set during Christmas and Bay wanting it to be set in summer, until they compromise and the movie is set in Australia. A good chance to introduce Outback (he needs to transform from a Mad Max car into a robot that looks like Ned Kelly's armor and talks like Steve Irwin) and Star Upper.

Optimus going off into space at the end of the movie makes me thing in the next movie he might be a version of this character. I even heard of him being described as some sort of zealot by fans.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait, really? What did he say?

I believe the direct quote was "I'LL KILL YOU! I'LL KILL YOU! I'LL KILL YOU!"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The MSJ posted:

Or better yet, Shane Black. Make him the script doctor like with Predator. If he's the main writer, there's going to be some conflict with him wanting the movie set during Christmas...

I suddenly really want to see Bay direct a Transformers battle in deep snow.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Bay openly flaunts the ridiculousness of the ratings board. He really loves to show off how much psychopathic violence you can put in a kids movie as long as it happens to a robot. You can hear the ghosts of all the swear words around the dialogue. If the transformers were human characters we'd have to wait for the unrated bluray to see all the cool bits.

I expect the last of the new trilogy to basically be Salo but the fascists turn into dump trucks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rei_ posted:

I believe the direct quote was "I'LL KILL YOU! I'LL KILL YOU! I'LL KILL YOU!"

Oh I knew that but don't tease me saying that was referring to Sam. One can only hope :allears:

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems
I'm a bit at odds with myself with this one. I'm not sure if I loved it or hated it with a passion, but at the very least it was one hell of a spectacle. Also, did anybody else get taken aback a little when dumb comedy relief dude gets loving glassed and you see his still-burning horrific metallo-corpse?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Awcko posted:

I'm a bit at odds with myself with this one. I'm not sure if I loved it or hated it with a passion, but at the very least it was one hell of a spectacle. Also, did anybody else get taken aback a little when dumb comedy relief dude gets loving glassed and you see his still-burning horrific metallo-corpse?

I'm pretty sure that was the intended effect. Seed explosions were loving grim.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Part of it was action movie moralism where he gets killed for betraying the hero by calling the Feds. But yeah, it was still extremely messed up.

Something I've always found weird about the series is how outside of Optimus, Bumblebee and Megatron the rest of the Transformers are treated as completely irrelevant, Autobots and Decepticons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Saw it today and immediately I wondered about the LotR and the eagles and Mordor question... and I know the answer to that. But Optimus Prime had both the Samurai helicopter and a flying 2 headed pterodactyl under his command and yet they send the seed bomb away via car and there's the whole 'get the bomb across the bridge and out of the populated city' thing.

Loved the whole Optimus is too wrecked to go anywhere and his Autobots could fix him so he needs to get to them but then is able to fight his way out and after scanning a truck is totally fine. Cade was able to pull off quite a miracle in the time it took for the other guy to hit the store and make his phone call.

Lastly I know there is some heat in an ascent to space but not as much as reentry which is why we need heat shielding. Optimus' shield glowing molten red was weird to me on his way out. But whatever. Never mind the fact that without dark matter engines like Lockons ship he has a long journey ahead of him...

So yeah basically great great movie.