Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Keeku posted:

I am completely baffled about the gameplay videos for Eternal Crusade so far. They're Alpha, yes, but why the hell would anyone show what they're showing off so far? The only thing that looks remotely good in those videos are reused assets from the Space Marine game.

Wouldn't it be better to spend a week or two making a single decent looking area to show off the reused assets?

On the flip side, the trailer for Deathwing and the screenshots on their site look pretty cool. That one looks promising, even if the Space Hulk setting is getting a little tired considering how massive the 40k universe is.

I don't mind the pre-alpha stuff they're showing off, since it's cool they're being so communicative with the game this early in development. I get where you're coming from though; it'd inspire more confidence if they were showing off more developed stuff, but hey, one thing at a time. It's got us talking about it, so I guess it's already doing its job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's good that they're being so open about the whole process. They're in for the long haul and being so, you want to get as much of it right early, rather than late.
Also, looking at the 360 models, i hope they bulk out the Eldar just a smidgen more. If they're renowned for their fleetness of foot, their legs and arse should have more mass to it. Like on these dudes!

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I think what concerns me the most is showing very ugly footage with no evidence of talent on their part and then going "So, who wants to buy in?". Although I guess that's pretty standard these days since kickstarter, and with the 40k property I'm sure they'll get a lot of people willing to dive in blind. I just hope it turns out decent in the end though.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if Ghaz is still a LoW in the supplement or has he been moved to HQ?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

HiveCommander posted:

Your forum name makes your comment so much better out of context.

That piece of terrain is just hurtin' for a squirtin'.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Cataphract posted:

Does anyone know if Ghaz is still a LoW in the supplement or has he been moved to HQ?

http://www.3plusplus.net/2014/06/ork-codex-rules-from-jidmah/ Nothing about it on this so far. I guess he's just always going to be my MA Warboss v:)v

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I'm putting together a Blood Angels list right now and I was wondering: Is a Power Fist worth it on an Assault Sergeant? Hell, for 5 points more I could give him 2 Infernus pistols. I was considering just giving my Sergeants Melta Bombs.

For reference, I'm playing against Tau and I have 2 Assault Squads with Meltas and 1 Assault Squad with Flamers (Maybe those should be Meltas too).

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

SRM posted:

This is stupid pedantic but I absolutely can't understand why people say something is $xx bucks or $xx dollars. The dollar sign already means dollars. That's like saying something is thirty bucks dollars. I actually don't think the price is awful (especially when compared to the old price for metals, plus the discounts you can get from Warstore and the like), but when you compare it to Killa Kans which are markedly larger and cost like 20 bucks less, it's bizarre.

Also I got a thing. Does anyone know if old Armorcast foam takes spraypaint well?

Here I was reading Oldhammer today and thought "Alright, someone else is doing 2nd ed Ultramarines!"

I have a friend who just painted up some of that foam, he used vallejo primer with an airbrush to keep them from melting.

lovestick fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 28, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I'm putting together a Blood Angels list right now and I was wondering: Is a Power Fist worth it on an Assault Sergeant? Hell, for 5 points more I could give him 2 Infernus pistols. I was considering just giving my Sergeants Melta Bombs.

For reference, I'm playing against Tau and I have 2 Assault Squads with Meltas and 1 Assault Squad with Flamers (Maybe those should be Meltas too).

Against tau you should just go with a power sword. You'll be striking first, get an extra attack and generally be ignoring all the armour.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

No. Go with a Powersword; Powermaul isn't a bad choice as you'll be S6 (or S7 on the charge) AP4 which will just ruin most Xenos' days. A basic ASM squad is going to fold against 2+ armor most of the time so having a lone Power Fist (or Axe) isn't really worth it. Double Infernus/Plasma Pistol is kinda cool both because you get to make a rad as hell model and that model can fire both pistols in a single turn which means 4 Melta shots (although the 2D6 pen range gets kinda wonky) or up to 6 Plasma shots if you're in Rapid Fire range.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

Looking forward to them!

Here it is, crossposted from the Oath thread.

- Full size image.

I resisted the temptation to go overboard with red panels on the Stormraven and Stormtalon. I wanted to have red as an accent color without looking like I was drowning in it. I think I managed it faithfully. The Imperial Fists stormtalon was actually the first one I built/painted. I had intended to make a codex chapter and settled on IF, then I painted a goddamn yellow stormtalon and revisited my decision. While reading the SM codex I started reading about CF and Pedro. The more I read, the more I liked what I was reading about, so I changed over to Crimson Fists and have been loving making lists again.

On a side note: I ordered Tactical Squad shoulderpads with the little arrows on them, plus a LotD squad and MultiMelta model from my LGS on direct order. They came in to the shop in smashed packaging. The shop owner called it in and GW sent him replacements. When the replacements arrived we went digging into the boxes. The shoulderpads are metal, so no damage at all. The LOTD guys have a couple little bits that snapped and are easily glued back together. The shop owner let me keep the damaged bits since GW didn't ask for a return. :dance:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The day the Space Marines got little pseudo-helicopter gunships was the day I started liking Space Marines a bit more.

Those look awesome, great job!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

lovestick posted:

Here I was reading Oldhammer today and thought "Alright, someone else is doing 2nd ed Ultramarines!"

I have a friend who just painted up some of that foam, he used vallejo primer with an airbrush to keep them from melting.
Oh no I've been found :ohdear:

koreban posted:

- Full size image.

I resisted the temptation to go overboard with red panels on the Stormraven and Stormtalon. I wanted to have red as an accent color without looking like I was drowning in it. I think I managed it faithfully. The Imperial Fists stormtalon was actually the first one I built/painted. I had intended to make a codex chapter and settled on IF, then I painted a goddamn yellow stormtalon and revisited my decision. While reading the SM codex I started reading about CF and Pedro. The more I read, the more I liked what I was reading about, so I changed over to Crimson Fists and have been loving making lists again.

On a side note: I ordered Tactical Squad shoulderpads with the little arrows on them, plus a LotD squad and MultiMelta model from my LGS on direct order. They came in to the shop in smashed packaging. The shop owner called it in and GW sent him replacements. When the replacements arrived we went digging into the boxes. The shoulderpads are metal, so no damage at all. The LOTD guys have a couple little bits that snapped and are easily glued back together. The shop owner let me keep the damaged bits since GW didn't ask for a return. :dance:
Good call on red as an accent and not plastering it everywere. My Fist vehicles use black as their accent color too, since that's the color I use on bolter casings. Nice work! I hope the rest of them are on jungle bases too.

Also, good on the GW customer service story. For all their faults, they do a great job at fixing poo poo.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"
Finally got a game of 7th in with my Guard vs my brother's Tyranids. We had to call it after three turns, but it was going to just be a whole pile of bleeding and screaming on my end anyway. Highlight of the match was my blob squad failing two pinning tests (on separate turns), rolling for the commissar to keep discipline, and failing both commissar rolls. The rule says that the opponent then gets to chose one model from the squad, which means that I lost two autocannon teams to the commissar's bolt pistol.

It was the first time I used that model as an actual commissar instead of a proxy company commander too. I think he took his demotion a little hard.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Ghaz is still a LoW in his supplement, but as far as I can tell - you don't need to take him to use the new FOC (Compulsary: 1 HQ, 2 Troop, 1 Elite. Optional: 6 troop, 4 elite, 3 heavy, 3 fast, 1 HQ) or the new wargear. There are a bunch of Apoc formations adopted for Ork formations in 7th in there too. My favorite is the 5 battlewagons with scout.

I'll have the supplement with me at work today if anyone has a specific question.

Bavius fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 28, 2014

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

SRM posted:

This is stupid pedantic but I absolutely can't understand why people say something is $xx bucks or $xx dollars. The dollar sign already means dollars. That's like saying something is thirty bucks dollars. I actually don't think the price is awful (especially when compared to the old price for metals, plus the discounts you can get from Warstore and the like), but when you compare it to Killa Kans which are markedly larger and cost like 20 bucks less, it's bizarre.

JerryLee posted:

GW's prices are so high you have to say dollars twice!

From now on all prices need to be converted into teef before they can be complained about, new thread policy.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

koreban posted:

- Full size image.

Those are very nice! I can still tell they are Crimson Fists, although if you painted the ends of the wings and stabilizes red, I bet that would look cool.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Believe it or not, this is the tolerable 40k group in town.

Move.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

I love Streum On and am so goddamn hyped for this. Looks like it could very well be the best upcoming 40k game

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

Those are very nice! I can still tell they are Crimson Fists, although if you painted the ends of the wings and stabilizes red, I bet that would look cool.

As mentioned, it's been tempting, but I didn't want to overdo it with the red.

I'm going to pick up some transfer mediums and put some vehicle transfer red fists on it (and I'm thinking of free handing a few Orc kill counters just under the cockpit, which should be plenty of iconography without going overboard on the red.

I also got halfway through a librarian last night. Holy poo poo was it a fun model. Pics to be posted later.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

koreban posted:

As mentioned, it's been tempting, but I didn't want to overdo it with the red.

I'm going to pick up some transfer mediums and put some vehicle transfer red fists on it (and I'm thinking of free handing a few Orc kill counters just under the cockpit, which should be plenty of iconography without going overboard on the red.

I also got halfway through a librarian last night. Holy poo poo was it a fun model. Pics to be posted later.

That would be good, or maybe some stripes? I totally understand not wanting to overdo it, but I think it does need a tiny bit more red.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Jesus, the new Ork codex just butchered pretty much every good unit they had. Is there a way to build a winning Ork list with the new codex?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Jesus, the new Ork codex just butchered pretty much every good unit they had. Is there a way to build a winning Ork list with the new codex?

Like 90 stormboyz.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It seems like i'm not in horrendous shape, because I had already taken a lot of the terrible units from the last codex that I liked converting. So I've already got tankbustas and stormboyz and flash gitz... But if I had a deff rolla-based army or a bunch of converted cyborks I would be pretty pissed right now.

P.s, I've got 2 squads of boyz - 20 hard boy sluggas and 20 softboy shootas. I bought nobz box to give them squadnobs with kombi weapons, but I'm not sure if I want to go with skorchas for both or kombi rokkit for one of them. [i am aware there is only one kombi skorcha in the box, and I am prepared to convert another if need be.]

Any thoughts on that? Skorchas have always bean super reliable for me, and I have a reasonable amount of anti-tank even with my deff rolla out of commission. But i kind of like the option of having K-rokkits too.

I have another question, because I haven't played 7th edition yet. Do you roll once for your psychic power at the beginning of the game, or do you roll every time you want to cast spells?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 28, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Do you really want to pay points for a one-shot weapon that only hits 1/3 of the time? Mainly because it's really easy to get twin-linked rokkits elsewhere in the codex.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Everything in the fast attack slot was decent, and is pretty much now cheaper. 5 koptas went from 225 points to 150 points.
The mek guns are incredible.
Trukks are fragile, but you can get some crazy charge distances out of them.

It wasn't codex: deffrollas.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Tequila Ranger posted:

From now on all prices need to be converted into teef before they can be complained about, new thread policy.

Found an *Orkanaut kit for just 2 bicuspids!

At this point, I don't need to order any more deffrollas to make Big Mek Junkas--I won't be using them on my Battlewagons ever again. Now I'm stuck because I wanted to shuffle out my old metal stormboyz in favor of the new plastics because they're such cooler looking models. Anyone want some metals made of some Fantasy bits? :ohdear:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
One shot BS2 rockets just aren't worth it. Whereas kombi-skorchas are a template or D3 hits if you overwatch.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Unless I get something wrong, the charge of boys in a trukk:

6" move + 6" disembark + 1" run + 2" charge + 2" from planks = 17" minimum charge on the WAUGGGH turn. On average you can get a 24" charge, not factoring in 'Er we go.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

LordAba posted:

Unless I get something wrong, the charge of boys in a trukk:

6" move + 6" disembark + 1" run + 2" charge + 2" from planks = 17" minimum charge on the WAUGGGH turn. On average you can get a 24" charge, not factoring in 'Er we go.

I thought about this. Perhaps spamming Trukk Boyz is the way to go?

In order to get a Waaagh! you need to use a Warboss. But there's no way to give them an invulnerable save of any kind now, which cripples them in combat. Is it worth taking Ghaz as your Warlord from the LoW slot to have a Warlord that doesn't suck in combat that gives you an (improved) Waaagh!?

What about Weirdboyz and trying to roll the +2 Strength blessing?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Ignite Memories posted:

It seems like i'm not in horrendous shape, because I had already taken a lot of the terrible units from the last codex that I liked converting. So I've already got tankbustas and stormboyz and flash gitz... But if I had a deff rolla-based army or a bunch of converted cyborks I would be pretty pissed right now.

P.s, I've got 2 squads of boyz - 20 hard boy sluggas and 20 softboy shootas. I bought nobz box to give them squadnobs with kombi weapons, but I'm not sure if I want to go with skorchas for both or kombi rokkit for one of them. [i am aware there is only one kombi skorcha in the box, and I am prepared to convert another if need be.]

Any thoughts on that? Skorchas have always bean super reliable for me, and I have a reasonable amount of anti-tank even with my deff rolla out of commission. But i kind of like the option of having K-rokkits too.

I have another question, because I haven't played 7th edition yet. Do you roll once for your psychic power at the beginning of the game, or do you roll every time you want to cast spells?

You generate your powers before you start playing Turn 1 or in the case of summoned Daemons, right after they have been summoned (if I remember correctly). Once you generate powers that's what you have for the rest of the game unless you have some special rules or gear that allow you to pick and choose or randomly generate powers each turn.

Unless you're specifically talking about the Ork Codex in which case I don't know I haven't been following those rumors.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

I wonder what Bell of Lost Souls thinks of the Ork Codex.....

:homebrew:40K: TRUTH SQUAD: Ork Codex Rules!:homebrew:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
That's 3++ Kirby, right? Their comment section has been pretty positive. To be honest, other than the Unbound haters and people who converted that bike guy I can't really figure out what all of the whining is about.

Edit: also I'm pretty sure "rules" wasn't originally meant as a verb but I could be mistaken

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 28, 2014

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Sulecrist posted:

To be honest, other than the Unbound haters and people who converted that bike guy I can't really figure out what all of the whining is about.

Some stuff was nerfed, some was buffed, people are still trying to figure things out.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I really want an Ork army, I used to have one in 2nd/early 3rd edition and it was rad.

But I feel like even a 750 point list would cost like one million dollars now.

Guess I'll stick to kill team.

Well that's my Ork story, thanks for reading.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Moola posted:

I really want an Ork army, I used to have one in 2nd/early 3rd edition and it was rad.

The key to Orks is to not buy much from GW.

That Blackreach is no longer produced is the worst thing to happen to Orks, the codex is fine.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

I wonder what Bell of Lost Souls thinks of the Ork Codex.....

:homebrew:40K: TRUTH SQUAD: Ork Codex Rules!:homebrew:

Am I reading this correctly, there's no more cyborks at all?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I thought the same about losing the invul saves in close combat, but feel no pain is a decent replacement considering warbosses are T5. A biker boss is even better as nothing but force and D weapons are a serious threat. Ghaz having eternal, feel no pain, 4 wounds, 2+ and a situational 2++ is pretty good when compared to some similarly costed characters too.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

code:
Warboss	Heavy Armour	Big Choppa					69
Weirdboy	ML2							70
Weirdboy	ML2							70
Weirdboy	ML2							70
Mek									15
10 boyz	Nob	PK	Bosspole	Trukk	Heavy armor	Ram	175
11 boyz	Nob	PK	Bosspole	Trukk	Heavy armor	Ram	185
10 Tank bustas	Nob	PK	Bosspole	Trukk	Ram		205
20 Stormboyz	Nob	PK						215
20 Stormboyz	Nob	PK						215
10 Lootas	1 mek							140
2 Mek guns	2x ammo runtz	1 extra crew					69

TOTAL	1848
This gives you 5 Trukks spearheading 2 large mobs of Stormboyz with Lootas and Mek guns in the backfield. The Warboss rolls with 11 boyz, each weirdboy goes in a trukk and the little mek goes with the tank busters. That gives each mob 2 babysitters and drat near everything has heavy armor in case their Trukk blows up. Pretty much everything you have should be in charge range come turn two.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Moola posted:

I know a guy who would let a ludicrous number of orks go for about $250 down here: 146 boyz, 22 more with special weapons, 29 nobz, 5 warbosses, & 17 deffkoptas. If you're interested, hit me up at herpderpspamcatcher@gmail.com. I'd take a finder's fee of some boyz and 'koptas, what with how they're 30 points for super-fast TL rokkits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

CyberLord XP posted:

code:
List
								TOTAL	1848
This gives you 5 Trukks spearheading 2 large mobs of Stormboyz with Lootas and Mek guns in the backfield. The Warboss rolls with 11 boyz, each weirdboy goes in a trukk and the little mek goes with the tank busters. That gives each mob 2 babysitters and drat near everything has heavy armor in case their Trukk blows up. Pretty much everything you have should be in charge range come turn two.

Too many toys. I would spent nothing on the trukks as they will always be coffins, embrace their purpose. Instead of Stormboyz I would take buggies with Rokkits. I like SBs with a tide but I don't think they compliment the rest of your stuff. I always found a ton of buggies works well with a Trukk army. You can have 15 t-l Rokkits for the price of those Stormboyz with change left over. They can crack open the vehicles for your Trukk-boyz to charge into. They can also give cover for your Trukks. 25point rokkit buggies is silly.

I would try and keep the Trukk boyz cheap and squeeze more in.

• Locked thread