Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I think it's even better than "pretty" -- I love seeing step-by-step explanations of how artists do their work, because it all seems like magic to me. (But is that Hal going Blue Lantern? He's not a Blue kind of guy. :spergin:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Work in-progress by Travel Forman:

Starfire's wardrobe aside, I love the variety in body sizes in this pic. Barda is always drawn as a big lady, but WW and Starfire being visually bigger than ordinary women is a nice touch underlining their otherworldness.

Handsome Thor and Cable by Kevin Wada:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I like Kevin Wada but sexy daddy Cable is kind of weirding me out. Though outside of Liefeld I think Giannis Milonogiannis does my favourite Cable.

Really good to se Foreman art without horrible gradients on it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

I like that except for how dainty Supergirl's arm looks?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Senor Candle posted:

They've all got dainty arms. Also something went wrong with Zatanna's elbow and hand.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

fatherboxx posted:

What's this for? Because I'm actually a fan of Mary Marvel and it's not like she shows up often. Although I had a laugh at the panty shot she has here.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

catlord posted:

What's this for? Because I'm actually a fan of Mary Marvel and it's not like she shows up often. Although I had a laugh at the panty shot she has here.

For some reason I didn't even notice that, in my mind I assumed that her pulling her skirt down was covering it up. I'm liking this less and less the more I look at it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

catlord posted:

panty shot

Oh comic books :allears:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Senor Candle posted:

I actually like the spindly look for Superwoman, it emphasizes the alien-ness of Kryptonians since she doesn't look like she could lift a continent. It's probably why I like the everyman look Chris Reeves had in the '78 superman vs the Henry Cavill super ripped look in Man of Steel

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Hasters posted:

I actually like the spindly look for Superwoman, it emphasizes the alien-ness of Kryptonians since she doesn't look like she could lift a continent. It's probably why I like the everyman look Chris Reeves had in the '78 superman vs the Henry Cavill super ripped look in Man of Steel

Her hand looks so small it doesn't look like she would be able to hold a cup much less lift something.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 26, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Fallen Rib

fatherboxx posted:

I like most of it, but all their lower arms look....off to me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Some part of Foreman's art should always look "off" and creepy (just noticed Stargirl's knees.)
If that's a commission, it's super weird that anyone would ask him to do a straight up 'sexy ladies of DC' piece.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
This week's Avengers Undercover (#6) has art by Timothy Green II, who also did the pencils for #3. For some reason I didn't really notice this in issue 3, but the guy has one singular body type for women and will use that body type on someone who hasn't even hit puberty yet. Case in point, the 12-year-old Deathlocket:

Left is her appearance in Avengers Arena, right is her appearance in Avengers Undercover #6.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Holy poo poo that is loving awful. Not to mention the whitewashing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some more art by Grzegorz Rosiński:

(From Thorgal: Kah-Aniel)

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Behold the glory of a Stokoe-flavored Avengers one-shot celebrating Marvel's 100th anniversary, 50 years ahead of time.

From Avengers 100th Anniversary Special

We're never going to see another issue of Orc Stain, are we?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Given that it's been on hiatus for years now, prob not.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

funtax posted:

We're never going to see another issue of Orc Stain, are we?

He's posted sketches from the new issue, so there is something out there. It doesn't seem realistic to expect many more, though.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

There will be more Orc Stain eventually. I can't see it going the way of Non Player. Stokoe is pretty upfront with the fact that he needs to do other jobs like Godzilla, film and game posters and Marvel stuff to pay the bills.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...
You're all talking about Stokoe like he's gonna die soon, the dude isn't even 30 years old yet. There's plenty of time for Orc Stain.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Authors tend to lose interest in their creations during the long hiatuses.
Of course for Stokoe it is mostly a financial matter, Orc Stain sold absolutely horrible in single issues. But i am baffled at how much he draws and just buries under the table, like the Poison Thrower one-shot.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Fuego Fish posted:

This week's Avengers Undercover (#6) has art by Timothy Green II, who also did the pencils for #3. For some reason I didn't really notice this in issue 3, but the guy has one singular body type for women and will use that body type on someone who hasn't even hit puberty yet. Case in point, the 12-year-old Deathlocket:

Left is her appearance in Avengers Arena, right is her appearance in Avengers Undercover #6.

Wait, is she the same age in both pictures? I thought one was a past picture and one was many years in the future. Am I just totally wrong?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

10 Beers posted:

Wait, is she the same age in both pictures? I thought one was a past picture and one was many years in the future. Am I just totally wrong?

She is pretty much supposed to be the same age in both pictures, yes.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

But i am baffled at how much he draws and just buries under the table, like the Poison Thrower one-shot.

It's called "hoping something hits it big but then working your butt off to make ends meet"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Street Soldier posted:

You're all talking about Stokoe like he's gonna die soon, the dude isn't even 30 years old yet. There's plenty of time for Orc Stain.

Seth Fisher was also young. :smith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh comic books :allears:

And here I thought you only got such egregious things in manga/anime! :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's a key difference in that in anime/manga it's such an orthodox thing that it even has a proper technical term (pantsu).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

...that's literally just a loanword meaning "panties". Like, it doesn't mean "creepy upskirt shot" it just means "underwear".

a kitten fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 1, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

And what is your point exactly?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I bought a French comic on Comixology called "Marie Des Dragons" because it was only a dollar and the art looked great. I don't read French, but I think I made the right call:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Is that a dragon-goat?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Is that a dragon-goat?

Are you talking about the wolf?

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

Swamp Thing v2 #61

Swamp Thing accidentally absorbs a bunch of plant aliens into his consciousness and gets a really cool page out of it.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Plants are people-drugs... so people are plant-drugs. Makes sense.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Hakkesshu posted:

I bought a French comic on Comixology called "Marie Des Dragons" because it was only a dollar and the art looked great. I don't read French, but I think I made the right call:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Funkchop posted:

Swamp Thing v2 #61

Swamp Thing accidentally absorbs a bunch of plant aliens into his consciousness and gets a really cool page out of it.

Christ I wish I hadn't given away/lost all my trades of Moore's Swamp Thing. Aside from some wonky coloring and guest art in a few issues that entire run is filled with breaktaking pages and panels.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Funkchop posted:

Swamp Thing v2 #61

It's a goddamn face. How did it take me a day to realize this?

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

Of course for Stokoe it is mostly a financial matter, Orc Stain sold absolutely horrible in single issues. But i am baffled at how much he draws and just buries under the table, like the Poison Thrower one-shot.

The difference between Stokoe and most other artists is that Stokoe tends to be very up front and show off discarded books and pitches. I have bins full of comics pages that I love very much but will most likely never see the light of day.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

fatherboxx posted:

According to Brandon Graham, Stokoe is back on Orc Stain now:

quote:

Orc stain is his first loong thing and I think he needed a lap around comics before he came back to it. and yeah, he’s back on it now...

[T]here’s a contract you get into with readers when you start a series— I’m well aware myself with Warheads. The only difference between how I did Warheads and how Stokoe did Orcstain— is I sold the issues as a mini series because I knew It would be awhile until I had more done. I was talking to James about doing the same for new OS.

Anyway, If I have a point here it’s that Orc stain will be done and it’s amazing and more than worth the wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Drifter posted:

It's a goddamn face. How did it take me a day to realize this?

It got me too, looking at it fullsize. :shrug: