Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm getting towards the end of Dragon Warrior II now and, to be honest, it kind of sucks. My biggest complaint is the poor balance.

The translated SNES remakes of DQI+II and III are really well-done and deal with a lot of the balance issues of 2 That said, I still beat DW2 when I was 10 years old and loved it. :colbert:

It's still one of my favorites. Something about the music, to be honest, really does it for me. Also I can still remember that feeling of wonder when I originally got the game, coming from DW1, and the entire world of the first game was included as just a small part of the second. Getting three party members and having to deal with multiple enemies just blew the series wide open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Luceo posted:

The translated SNES remakes of DQI+II and III are really well-done and deal with a lot of the balance issues of 2 That said, I still beat DW2 when I was 10 years old and loved it. :colbert:

It's still one of my favorites. Something about the music, to be honest, really does it for me. Also I can still remember that feeling of wonder when I originally got the game, coming from DW1, and the entire world of the first game was included as just a small part of the second. Getting three party members and having to deal with multiple enemies just blew the series wide open.

I'll definitely play the SNES version of DQ2 down the line. 3, though, I think is fine as is, though the remakes have some new content. Does the famicom version of 1-3 have the same content as the GB versions? I know that DW3-GBC has a couple of bonus dungeons - I really hope that those made it into the SNES versions. I *thought* (emphasis on thoughts) that the GBC versions were based on the Famicom versions from years earlier, but I'm not sure.

I used a Game Genie code to save myself a couple of hours of grinding in DWII, and at level 33/30/25 (my princess died a lot, thus the level difference) I went off to kill Hargon and his lizard buddy. It took me two goes because the mini-bosses were tough, but I eventually did it. While I enjoyed the post-game where there are no enemies and everyone tells you how awesome you are, I was just kind of glad that it was over. Luceo is right - DW2 really added some huge elements to the series but, and I'm speaking purely for the NES versions, there were some major balance issues that were greatly improved in 3, which is my favourite of the original NES quartet.

So, now that that's done, I'm debating... I'm either going to continue next to DWIII on the NES, or try the translated version of DQ2 to contrast and compare. That being the case, I have two questions:

1) In regards to the translations of DQ2 for the SNES, there seem to be 2 or 3 translations out there, though one might be an earlier, less polished version of another. Which one is the best? I actually like the NA style of DQ dialogue, with the pseudo-Shakespearean dialogue where Erdrick and not Loto is the great hero etc. Is anyone familiar with the various versions?

2) It's been many years since I played DWIII on the NES, so I've obviously forgotten much. When I originally played years ago, I had the standard Hero/Soldier/Pilgrim/Wizard party. I turned my Pilgrim into a Sage when I found the book, and that served me fine. That said, I greatly prefer caster-heavy parties because, well, melee classes are boring. Soldiers are very strong in DWIII, for example, but all they can do is Hit A Thing or Hit Another Thing - kind of dull. So, my party plan for this game is to start with HSPW, as before. The Hero is the hero and is untouchable, of course, but he's very well-rounded. I plan to turn my Soldier into a Sage when I get the book - the stat increases as a soldier will help the Sage's already decent melee skills. As soon as my Pilgrim and Wizard get all of their spells (level 40/41), I'm going to flip-flop their classes and build them up until they have all of the spells from the other class. At that point, I'm planning to turn the Pilgrim-->Wizard into a Soldier so that he can use all of that sweet Soldier gear. While he won't have great stats, the sweet Soldier gear will make him formidable in a fight and he'll have every non Hero-only spell in the game with enough MP to use them regularly. As for the Wizard-->Pilgrim, I was going to turn him into a Fighter when he had all of the spells, but now I think that I'll just keep him a Pilgrim. The Pilgrim-->Wizard-->Solider I just mentioned won't have great fighting stats, but the gear will make up for that. Fighters, though, are very stat-based characters while Soldiers are more gear based. Soldier gear compensates for weak stats, but fighters use very little gear. A Wizard-->Pilgrim-->Fighter, I fear, isn't going to be worth a drat as a physical attacker after he's gone up to level 40 as a caster, had his stats halved, gone up to level 40 again as a caster, and been halved again. Pilgrims, though, can use solid gear, have a decent HP pool and so on. I know that I could get a Goof-Off and have more than one Sage, but I want to have no more than one of each class and Sages, while great, are more special to me if they are unique. They also level very slowly, if I remember correctly.

Any thoughts on this plan? I know that it will require a fair amount of grinding, but I'm not put off by that and it's not actually as bad as it looks because class-changed characters level very quickly to start as they are back to level 1 on the exp table. I just really like caster-heavy parties, as I said, and I love the idea of having three characters that can cast every single P&W spell in the game.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I think the famicom versions were based on the GBC remakes as well, but can't be sure.

1) I used the RPGOne version 2.0 translation for DQ1+2 remix, and yes it comes in both DW and DQ flavors. I prefer the DW style as well.

2) You are quite patient, or playing on an emulator with fast forward.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
The Super Famicom version of DQ3 has the new classes, personalities, the pachisi tracks and the first bonus dungeon. The GBC version was based on this and also added the monster coins and second bonus dungeon.

If you're going to turn a Melee character into a Sage and refuse to use a Goof Off, consider Fighter -> Sage for the Agility boost. Don't worry so much about fighting stats for your Caster -> Melee characters, as they still level properly in their new classes... I'd worry more about MP and Intelligence. Honestly, I'd suggest Goof Off -> Sage -> Fighter, as Goof Off levels fast and get Sage for free, Sage learns everything and gets scads of MP, and then you'll end with a Fighter's full fighting stats plus enough MP/Intelligence to be a decent spellcaster with lots of options. If you want your Sage to still be unique, just don't use the Book of Satori, or don't use it until you change the 'free' Sage into something else.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
It's been ages so I might be off about it, but the classes in the NES version of Dragon Warrior 3 have certain stat ranges they're "supposed" to be at every level, so other than blowing a bunch of time, repeated class-changing won't really hurt you unless start with a caster and bounce him among several melee-only classes to divide down his MP several times. A wizard-turned-soldier should have just about the same soldier-relevant stats at 40 that a normal soldier would if he never changed.

It's also why the stat-increasing seeds all blow in 3. Eating one might put you above what the game thinks you're supposed to have for your level, and will balance it out with a weaker growth for your next level up. As far as I know, the only thing that vitality and intelligence do is influence the HP and MP growth you get during the same level up, so using one of those seeds might force you to gain even less max HP or MP than you're supposed to. That's why, in Dragon Warrior 4, vit and int seeds were replaced with ones that raise your max HP and MP directly. It's still using the same leveling system as DW3 and HP/MP seeds were a workaround for the vit and int ones not helping you at all.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that, objectively, Dragon Warrior I is a boring grindfest with very little actual content. Nevertheless, I kind of enjoyed it.
I don't know what it is either, but I agree. I think it's that the game is more of an adventure game in overall design, it just disguises keys as statistics. On the one hand, you have to grind. On the other hand, you get a degree of carrot on the stick gameplay, but where Dragon Quest I is a tedious boring grind fest with very little to no depth or lateral growth, it's also ridiculously short. Play it on a weekend and have a quick little adventure with some numbers grinding.

Most games still follow the linear growth design, but they growth curves are way way longer, and upgrades tend to feel insubstantial, where getting some new weapon/armor was often a significant upgrade, but it was often 1 out of a list of maybe 5 items in the item class, and many of the alternatives aren't gated, so you could just as soon shoot straight for the ultimate/penultimate gear. Something else I consider a plus, but at the end of the day, I'd prefer lateral growth. It's just that very few games in the genre go that direction despite being much much longer. DQ doesn't overstay its welcome, despite its simplicity. That's pretty much what I believe it boils down to, for me.

FF1 is a similar experience. You have a near adventure game obfuscated by numbers instead of puzzles, but its short as hell by today's standards, so you can pick a party of four and power through it over a weekend. It isn't a terribly engaging game, but it doesn't overstay itself welcome.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^^ I agree that the gameboy DQ games just look odd. The SFC/SNES sprites look the best as well and the music's top notch such as the boss theme. Maybe the GBC version has other stuff in it but the 16 bit version wins out easily and feels more like DQ6 in terms of quality.

SereneCrimson posted:

Well I was able to get a decently cheap copy of the PS1 VII. So I now own 1-9.

It's time to :getin: with DQ!

I have never actually beaten 2 or 7. And as I believe I've mentioned before I've never even played 3 or 8.
It might take a little bit, but I plan on righting these misdeeds. I am become the Dragon Quester.

Play 7 or 3, then 8, then the other of 7 or 3, then play some other games, then read a LP of 2 instead of playing it. Some DQ games have aged well enough. Hero/Fighter/Pilgrim/Goof-off DQ3 party's still fun because of class-changing becausegoof-offs can become sages without needing the book of satori so you end up with a pair of sages and you can change the fighter to a solider later on to end up with a soldier who is much faster than a pure solider can hope to be, but not recommended for a first time player since soldier/wizard/pilgrim is a pretty solid default.

DQ7 is very long and has by far the most complex class system in the series but just like with DQ6 if you level a bunch of classes on characters said characters become extremely powerful. You will need to make sure to scour areas for fragments though because you can overlook some otherwise and scouring areas for a fragment sucks.

DQ2 was ambitious and while it was fun at the time the NES game is pretty painful now. I remember grinding baboons and other poo poo to get a broadsword as a kid and the cavern of Rhone or whatever which was a massive chore even compared to Necrogond in DQ3 since in that game your characters were all much more useful (unless you had a party of merchants and goof-offs I guess).

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 27, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Any thoughts on this plan? I know that it will require a fair amount of grinding, but I'm not put off by that and it's not actually as bad as it looks because class-changed characters level very quickly to start as they are back to level 1 on the exp table. I just really like caster-heavy parties, as I said, and I love the idea of having three characters that can cast every single P&W spell in the game.

That's exactly what I did, and it worked very well. Although DWIII is one of the best and most accessible NES RPGs out there, I'd still recommend the SNES remake for being better in every single way. Maybe you should play the NES version first just to appreciate the improvements it made.

Unlike the first two games, which were pretty bare bones remakes with some balance improvements as well as fantastic soundtracks, the third game has far more improvements. There's a new class in the job system, the thief, there's a new personality system that determines stat growth for each character, there's a ton of improvements to the inventory system, including an infinitely large bag where you can store items that you won't need in battle, and finally the job system is improved with weapons like the boomerang and whip which can hit multiple enemies. I'd recommend getting all the hidden tokens on the first island to get a free whip for the main character.

The graphics are easily some of the best on the SNES, on par with games like Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Star Ocean, and Tales of Phantasia. What's even better is the monster animation in battle, which is significantly better than Dragon Quest VI, but not quite as good as VII or the DS remakes. Amazingly, they're also in the GBC version, which uses a 4 MB cartridge just like the SNES version.

I liked the NES version of this game so much that I imported a Japanese copy of the SNES version, since the fan translation hadn't been completed at that point. I was able to make it through just fine since the menu layout is pretty much the same. I've also got a recording of the first hour of the game, right up to leaving the first island, so I should get round to recording commentary for that to encourage people to try it.

Luceo posted:

I think the famicom versions were based on the GBC remakes as well, but can't be sure.

1) I used the RPGOne version 2.0 translation for DQ1+2 remix, and yes it comes in both DW and DQ flavors. I prefer the DW style as well.

2) You are quite patient, or playing on an emulator with fast forward.

Yeah, I played DQI&II with fast forward so much that it felt more like Half Minute Hero. DQIII on the SNES is fast enough that it's perfectly fine without it. Your characters pretty much sprint around towns and dungeons, and it's only on the overworld that they walk.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 27, 2014

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Luceo posted:

I used the RPGOne version 2.0 translation for DQ1+2 remix, and yes it comes in both DW and DQ flavors. I prefer the DW style as well.

I have both of those versions by RPGOne. If the DW translation is the Olde English "Wit and Courage have served thee well" version, that's what I will play. I believe that there is only one DWIII SuperFamicom translation out there, which was linked several times early in this thread. Mind you, that was 3+ years ago, so I can repost it if anyone fancies it. The link was still valid as of a few days ago.

That loving Sned posted:

That's exactly what I did, and it worked very well. Although DWIII is one of the best and most accessible NES RPGs out there, I'd still recommend the SNES remake for being better in every single way. Maybe you should play the NES version first just to appreciate the improvements it made.

(Various reasons why they are better)

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I appreciated the other suggestion, but I don't want to bother with a useless Goof-Off for any length of time. Having one useless character in a 4-man party is a serious impediment. 5-man party, perhaps, but I can't be arsed. I like Soldiers more than Fighters anyway, so I think that Hero, Soldier->Sage, Pilgrim->Wizard->Soldier, Wizard->Pilgrim makes a lot of sense. I'll make sure to have 2 of my toons be women, so that I can take advantage of all of that... interesting female-only gear.

I don't doubt that you are correct in that the remakes are better, but I want to play the NES version first for several reasons. Firstly, simple nostalgia. DWIII and Final Fantasy 1 were the great party-based RPG's of my youth, and I put so much time into each one. I never finished DWIII because I got stuck at the very end in the days before the internet, and couldn't figure it out. I actually ground my hero up to level 99 fighting Goopis solo, even though stat gains become totally insignificant for any class beyond about level 50. The other reason is that I found a very well translated French ROM of DWIII. I am bilingual, but I live in a particularly lovely part of North America where everyone speaks English or Spanish. I've lived in French-speaking regions twice and I miss being able to live my life in French. I found a translation for DWI, but it was horrible. They used a goofy font and half of the translations were 50% done or terribly inaccurate. DWIII, though, was done by another group. They used the same font as in the original NES version and I was really impressed with the few minutes that I spent with it. After I play the hell out of that, then I definitely want to try the translated version from the Super Famicom, but for now I'm going to indulge my nostalgia.

DWIII for the NES doesn't have the Infinite Inventory, but it does have the vault - that helps a lot. DWII is an inventory management nightmare, but DWIII is a really fun game to go hunting mobs for treasures and rare drops (sodding Snowblast Sword and its 1/256 drop rate) that often cast spells for free, and you can keep those and even cursed items in your vault for as long as you want.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

That loving Sned posted:

I'd recommend getting all the hidden tokens on the first island to get a free whip for the main character.

Are you talking about the GBC version? I don't recall hidden tokens in the SNES version, though the board game places easily give you a lot of nice stuff if you can get through it. Especially the spaces that can boost your stats. Clearing a place and getting an extra dozen stat points on a character is nice.\

JustJeff88 posted:

DWIII for the NES doesn't have the Infinite Inventory, but it does have the vault - that helps a lot. DWII is an inventory management nightmare, but DWIII is a really fun game to go hunting mobs for treasures and rare drops (sodding Snowblast Sword and its 1/256 drop rate) that often cast spells for free, and you can keep those and even cursed items in your vault for as long as you want.

Miracle Shoes are the best/worst item to farm for. Free experience with every step is amazing, except by the time you get the shoes the bonus would be negligible unless you were obscenely lucky and ran in to a metal babble somewhere like in Necrogond and got the drop there. Last time I played the NES version I decided to game genie in a few pairs of them and having those shoes from the start of the game pretty much removes any xp grind you'd do. Money might still be an issue at times though, but I gambled in the arena so much that it didn't matter too often.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't doubt that you are correct in that the remakes are better, but I want to play the NES version first for several reasons. Firstly, simple nostalgia. DWIII and Final Fantasy 1 were the great party-based RPG's of my youth, and I put so much time into each one.

Dragon Warrior III and IV hold up far better than any other NES RPGs I've played. Mother and Final Fantasy III come close, but those were never released in English, and have somewhat poorly balanced difficulty curves. I also find the NES sprites charming, but I'm glad they're not as bad as the Japanese version of Dragon Quest I, where all the characters were basically stick figures and only faced towards the camera, like the Ultima games the series was inspired by.

Even though I'm glad that all four of the original games were translated, I wonder if the series would have been more popular outside of Japan if they'd skipped straight to DWIII. In fact, when DWI was released in the US, it was actually remade in DQIII's engine, possibly to make it easier to use the new redrawn sprites. However, Final Fantasy I came out just a year later, and DWIII and IV weren't out until the SNES arrived, so the better games were too late to have a proper impact.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Are you talking about the GBC version? I don't recall hidden tokens in the SNES version, though the board game places easily give you a lot of nice stuff if you can get through it. Especially the spaces that can boost your stats. Clearing a place and getting an extra dozen stat points on a character is nice.

It's a bit confusing since the GBC version also added monster medals, but there are a different type of medal that are hidden around the world in various places, and can be cashed in at the shop in the well of the first town. For instance, in the second town someone asks you to push a rock for them, and if you check under the place where it was, you'll find a medal. All the others on the first island can be found by just checking barrels, wardrobes, and chests.

An interesting thing about the monster medals in the GBC version is that as well as having medals for every enemy in Dragon Quest III, they also have sprites for all the Dragon Quest IV monsters in the data. The Spriter's Resource only has the monster medals you can get in the game, but I'm pretty sure one of the fan sites has a collection of them. Maybe they were planning a remake of DQIV on the GBC as well, which would let you trade medals between them.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

That loving Sned posted:

Dragon Warrior III and IV hold up far better than any other NES RPGs I've played. Mother and Final Fantasy III come close, but those were never released in English, and have somewhat poorly balanced difficulty curves. I also find the NES sprites charming.

I would wholeheartedly agree on III, but I can't say for IV as I know little about it. Honestly, the way it was intended I don't like IV. It's a great idea in terms of storytelling, but making everyone but the hero AI controlled in the final act or two is moronic and I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea. The only reason I am going to play the NES version, once I'm thoroughly done with III, is because I find a Game Genie code that supposedly disables the AI in the climactic act(s) and lets you control every character yourself. If it doesn't work or bugs out like mad, I'm just going to play the European version of the DS remake.

Slightly off topic, I really wanted to love Nestalgia but lost interest for reasons similar to the above. Firstly, it's essentially a MMORPG with veeeeery low-pop servers. You can recruit monster buddies to help you (1 player-controlled PC, 2 monster helpers), but they are totally controlled by the AI. You can, of course, group with other players, but I don't like having to rely on other people to enjoy games. The offline mode, sadly, is limited up until level 10 and only lets you have one PC and 2 buddies. All I want from that game is to be allowed to make 3 PC's that I fully control and play it like a single-player DW-type game, but alas it's not to be. I think that the devs are pillocks for not making that an option in the game - I don't think that it would be that hard - and I think that they would attract a new audience and save on server upkeep, but what do I know?

Also, Sned, I'm surprised that you didn't mention Mother II/Earthbound, which gloriously holds up today. Keep in mind that Mother III does have a very good English translation ROM and there's even a very well-made, professional-quality strategy guide out for this translation. I know because I have a copy. :blush:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I would wholeheartedly agree on III, but I can't say for IV as I know little about it. Honestly, the way it was intended I don't like IV. It's a great idea in terms of storytelling, but making everyone but the hero AI controlled in the final act or two is moronic and I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea. The only reason I am going to play the NES version, once I'm thoroughly done with III, is because I find a Game Genie code that supposedly disables the AI in the climactic act(s) and lets you control every character yourself. If it doesn't work or bugs out like mad, I'm just going to play the European version of the DS remake.

Both IV and V have a massive flaw fixed, which as you mentioned was only having the main character controllable in IV in the final chapter (the same happened with Persona 3 and its PSP remake), and Dragon Quest V only having three characters in battle in the SNES version. This was made worse by having recruitable monsters, so with one of those in the party you'd only have two main characters. The remake on the PS2 and the DS bumped it up to 4, as well as making many more monsters recruitable, and even adding a third potential bride.

JustJeff88 posted:

Also, Sned, I'm surprised that you didn't mention Mother II/Earthbound, which gloriously holds up today. Keep in mind that Mother III does have a very good English translation ROM and there's even a very well-made, professional-quality strategy guide out for this translation. I know because I have a copy. :blush:

Sorry I left it out :sweatdrop: I'm a big fan of Earthbound as well as Mother 3, which I played as soon as the translation came out. I played it on a flash card too, and you can tell that it's a good translation when you completely forget that it's not an official release while you're playing. The rhythm battles also work much better on real hardware, since there's almost no latency on handhelds.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mother III has a translation patch but playing it on an emulator makes the press-button-with-combat-tempo bonus damage thing nearly impossible to trigger with any consistency. :sigh:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

That loving Sned posted:

Both IV and V have a massive flaw fixed, which as you mentioned was only having the main character controllable in IV in the final chapter (the same happened with Persona 3 and its PSP remake), and Dragon Quest V only having three characters in battle in the SNES version. This was made worse by having recruitable monsters, so with one of those in the party you'd only have two main characters. The remake on the PS2 and the DS bumped it up to 4, as well as making many more monsters recruitable, and even adding a third potential bride.

So, in short, if and when I get to DQV, I should give the SNES translation a miss and go straight to the DS remake?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Mother III has a translation patch but playing it on an emulator makes the press-button-with-combat-tempo bonus damage thing nearly impossible to trigger with any consistency. :sigh:

Ah, that's horrible. :cry: Any way around that?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

So, in short, if and when I get to DQV, I should give the SNES translation a miss and go straight to the DS remake?

I've played both and the DS version is far superior. The extra party member in combat is big enough by itself, but they even added an additional choice for a wife.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Luceo posted:

I've played both and the DS version is far superior. The extra party member in combat is big enough by itself, but they even added an additional choice for a wife.

Bigger parties are almost always better. I've still not forgiven Spiderweb Software for that.

I'm going to start my DWIII-NES playthrough tomorrow, but before I do, I'm trying to remember... what's the deal with the female-only equipment? The Hero in the NES version is always male (I know that he can be a she in the remakes), but your 3 amici can be either. I know that there's one female-only armour that any class can wear which is pretty good, but there's a superior option out there for any class that I might play (Soldier, Wizard, Pilgrim, Sage). I also somewhat remember that there is a phenomenally expensive female-only armour that gives something like 1 defence, but I can't remember if it has some other gameplay benefit that makes it worthwhile.

I get to make three companions and I'll make at least one lady, probably based on whichever sprite I like the most, but if I'm missing anything let me know. There's no male-only gear that I can recall.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Luceo posted:

It never occurred to me that 2 is considered the low point in the series until a few years back when I started reading forums and saw people discussing all of its flaws. It was the second RPG I ever played (DW1 being the first, naturally) and my mom and I spent months playing through it together, so I'll never be able to think of it as anything but amazing. A lot of the things that are considered flaws (like how easy it is to get lost and wander into places you aren't strong enough for) made it feel like you were exploring a big, dangerous world and not just walking a straight line to the next bit of exposition.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The only female gear I can remember in DW3 for NES was the Dangerous Swimsuit (completely worthless and expensive as hell) and the Magic Bikini, but you need to farm king merzans(?) and hope it drops. I don't remember if the bikini reduced elemental or magical damage though. If it doesn't then it's not worth using at all. Wizards can use water flying clothes, sages and pilgrims can use magic armor (same def as bikini) or angel/sacred robes, soldiers will be using swordedge armor or dragon mail.

I guess there's the sword of illusion which could have its uses. Female only gear that was worthwhile became more of a thing in DQ4 though. The GBC and SNES remakes of DW3 have more female-specific gear too.

e: I remember far too much about DW3 for the NES. I have to have spent hundreds of hours (90% of it on rentals so I never even got to Baramos most of the time) on that game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gender-exclusive equipment in Dragon Quest 3 is just a handful of joke items. (There's some male-only ones too.) If you're playing a version that uses personalities, there are a few gender-specific personalities as well, and those make a bit more of a difference.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Adam Bowen posted:

It never occurred to me that 2 is considered the low point in the series until a few years back when I started reading forums and saw people discussing all of its flaws. It was the second RPG I ever played (DW1 being the first, naturally) and my mom and I spent months playing through it together, so I'll never be able to think of it as anything but amazing. A lot of the things that are considered flaws (like how easy it is to get lost and wander into places you aren't strong enough for) made it feel like you were exploring a big, dangerous world and not just walking a straight line to the next bit of exposition.

It does have by far my favourite soundtrack in the series. The same also goes for Final Fantasy II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daHzYOUfBxM&t=562s

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 28, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Bongo Bill posted:

Gender-exclusive equipment in Dragon Quest 3 is just a handful of joke items. (There's some male-only ones too.) If you're playing a version that uses personalities, there are a few gender-specific personalities as well, and those make a bit more of a difference.

Yeah, especially since "Sexy" (female only) is the best personality in the game, especially for the Hero. Fortunately you can get it for the hero through the starting questionnaire, and a few classes can be generated with it at the tavern if you use the seeds a certain way.

That loving Sned posted:

These are both huge and are basically why I don't even play the NES/SNES versions of these games much anymore. The DS remakes really knocked it out of the park. I just wish they'd have included the party chat in 4. At least they did that in 5 and 6.

That said, all the extra recruitable monsters in 5 don't matter a whole lot, you're still just gonna recruit 3 slime knights and call it a day, especially if you gamble for LM Swords.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 28, 2014

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Adam Bowen posted:

DQ2 isn't a bad game by any means, and it's miles better than DQ1 so it seemed extra-good at the time. Its flaws are ones you only see in retrospect because of later improvements in game design. You have no inventory space because you're forced to carry useless quest items (fixed in DQ3 on), you can get randomly one-shotted in the last couple areas (not totally fixed in later games but much less likely), and your two companions don't add much value (fixed in DQ3 on).

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Fenrir posted:

Yeah, especially since "Sexy" (female only) is the best personality in the game, especially for the Hero.

Wait, what? Why is this true?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Terpfen posted:

Wait, what? Why is this true?

Because it gets 110% Strength growth, 120% Agility, 105% Stamina, 115% Wisdom and 120% Luck. It's just straight bonuses across the board.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
All this talk is making me want to dig out my Gamecube & GBA Player. Those games are near impossible to play comfortably on a normal GBC.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Anyone played with the DQ3 SNES translation patch? Mine keeps freezing on my SD2SNES.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Fancy Hat! posted:

All this talk is making me want to dig out my Gamecube & GBA Player. Those games are near impossible to play comfortably on a normal GBC.

I actually, months ago, plumped for a Game Boy Advance SP so that I could play GB/GBC games on a backlit system. Rest assured that I got the 101 model with the brilliant backlighting rather than the 001 model with the shite frontlighting. I had and still have a GBA for those older games, but not having backlighting was intolerable - I spent so much time trying to position myself just right near light sources without having glare. Now I can play Final Fantasy Legend in a pitch-black room. :dance:

Okay, I'm going to start my game later today. Pitch me some good 4-letter names, male and female, to call my dudes. My party is going to be Hero, Soldier->Sage, Pilgrim->Wizard->Soldier, Wizard->Pilgrim, but I don't know who's going to be XX and XY yet, though the hero is always a bloke in the NES version. I'm playing the game in French, so French names if you can, but I'm terrible at thinking up names in general and could use some help. The only ones I've thought of for the hero are "Marc" and "Jean", because I can't think of any other 4-letter French names.

Not going with Jeff, as my forum name is actually an inside joke and that's not my actual name.

Edit: I know that the game lets you have longer names, but they get truncated to 4 letters on most screens, so I want to keep them to 4 letters so they always look "right."

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 28, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

Anyone played with the DQ3 SNES translation patch? Mine keeps freezing on my SD2SNES.

Seemed to work ok for me on Snes9x when I played it not too long ago.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

My Mom also beat DW2 on her own when I was 10, and my fondness for it comes from similar roots.

That loving Sned posted:

It does have by far my favourite soundtrack in the series. The same also goes for Final Fantasy II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daHzYOUfBxM&t=562s

The soundtrack is one of the most memorable of the series! The battle theme, the alone on the overworld theme, and that wonderful town theme all jump straight to mind.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Beat that fairly recently using SNES9x with no issues. Sexy is the best personality, and an all-female party is objectively better since there's a lot more gender-specific equipment.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Okay, I'm going to start my game later today. Pitch me some good 4-letter names, male and female, to call my dudes. My party is going to be Hero, Soldier->Sage, Pilgrim->Wizard->Soldier, Wizard->Pilgrim, but I don't know who's going to be XX and XY yet, though the hero is always a bloke in the NES version. I'm playing the game in French, so French names if you can, but I'm terrible at thinking up names in general and could use some help. The only ones I've thought of for the hero are "Marc" and "Jean", because I can't think of any other 4-letter French names.

I tried to find some names that still looked OK when shortened to four letters.

Bruno
Cécile
Didier
Dorian
Enzo
Ève
Fabien(ne)
Frédéric
Gaël

Or just name them after Astérix characters.

Hero: Astérix
Knight: Obélix
Wizard: Getafix (Panoramix is too long)
Priest: ?

Luceo posted:

The soundtrack is one of the most memorable of the series! The battle theme, the alone on the overworld theme, and that wonderful town theme all jump straight to mind.

My favourite is the ending theme, but I also really like the overworld theme once you get all three characters.

One cool thing that the SNES version of DQIII does is continue the music where it left off after you fight battles. Since all the music has been rewritten to be twice as long, like the first two games as well, this means you actually get to hear the full tracks.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Luceo posted:

Beat that fairly recently using SNES9x with no issues. Sexy is the best personality, and an all-female party is objectively better since there's a lot more gender-specific equipment.

Didn't beat it, but toyed with it with SNES9x and no troubles. SNES9x has really been good to me. I don't remember the emulator I used to use for SNES/SuperFami games, but it was clumsy as hell and had an interface that was like being beaten about the neck and shoulders with a dead clown.

That loving Sned posted:

I tried to find some names that still looked OK when shortened to four letters.

Bruno
Cécile
Didier
Dorian
Enzo
Ève
Fabien(ne)
Frédéric
Gaël

Or just name them after Astérix characters.

Hero: Astérix
Knight: Obélix
Wizard: Getafix (Panoramix is too long)
Priest: ?

Thanks for the assist, Sned. I actually hit a database and got some ideas. I actually thought of Gaël, but A) I'm not sure I will be able to place the treme and B) That's the name of this adorable French girl who fancied me in grad school. I dropped the ball on that one and she married some other twit.

Right now I like Yves and Remy for the guys and Aude and Lyse for the ladies. I appreciate you doing along with my asinine request, though Enzo is more Italian than French, I'd say. Then again, Bruno is pretty common in France these days, so what do I know?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I absolutely love the DQ3 town theme, I find myself absentmindedly whistling it at times.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Wee Bairns posted:

I absolutely love the DQ3 town theme, I find myself absentmindedly whistling it at times.

Which one? I think there's two different ones for normal towns, but also one for the town in Japan.

The remake also added new remixes for towns at night.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

That loving Sned posted:

Which one? I think there's two different ones for normal towns, but also one for the town in Japan.

The remake also added new remixes for towns at night.

The very first castle/town, which is played in several. It's so upbeat and cheery. The nighttime version is great too.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Prism posted:

Because it gets 110% Strength growth, 120% Agility, 105% Stamina, 115% Wisdom and 120% Luck. It's just straight bonuses across the board.

Bingo. I'm fairly sure it's the only personality in the game (except maybe Lucky) that has no sub-100% stat growths.

That said, it's still the most fun to have a "Lewd" (best male personality, comes close to the "Sexy" stats but has some drawbacks) hero named Charlie, and 3 "Sexy" women.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 29, 2014

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I started DWIII last night and got far enough to finish that first tower where you get the key (rubbish with names, me). I was wearing all of the best gear available in the first town, granted, but it really felt smooth. Each random battle wore me down a little bit without feeling like I would die at any moment due to the fickle finger of randomness and poor balance such as in DWII. I still loathe that each character still only gets 8 lousy slots *and* your gear takes up space in that list. I never really thought about it, but in DWI your Weapon/Armour/Shield was in its own little universe, plus herbs and keys (admittedly 1-use items) at least stacked. Yes, I know that the remakes addressed this, but I wanted to bitch about it now because I'm weird like that.

Fenrir posted:

That said, it's still the most fun to have a "Lewd" (best male personality, comes close to the "Sexy" stats but has some drawbacks) hero named Charlie, and 3 "Sexy" women.

You win the thread

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fenrir posted:

Bingo. I'm fairly sure it's the only personality in the game (except maybe Lucky) that has no sub-100% stat growths.

In addition to Lucky, Hyper also has no negatives (it's 100% in everything except Agility, which is 140%), and so does Ordinary for obvious reasons (straight 100%).

I see no problem with your choice, though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
So, I had a bit of good fortune. On a whim, I stopped at a GameStop in the middle of Bumfuck, Nowhere and they had pre-owned copies of Dragon Quest IV, V and VI for the DS in stock. I found it slightly ironic that IX, which is the most recent iteration and the most inexpensive/common of the 4 DS ports, was the only one that they didn't have.

They had good prices, too. I paid $19.99 for VI, which isn't great, but I got IV for $14.99 and V, which is rare as gently caress and just as pricey, was $24.99. I'm enjoying the fact that the communist socialist foreigner that I am made out like a bandit on American Independence Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

JustJeff88 posted:

I paid $19.99 for VI, which isn't great, but I got IV for $14.99 and V, which is rare as gently caress and just as pricey, was $24.99.

I would argue you stole all three games. They're easily worth triple those listed prices in terms of enjoyment and entertainment delivered to the player.